POSTGAME: Rd 13 vs Collingwood

3 minutes ago, bing181 said:

Bad form to quote my own post, but should have added a postscript to that as there's a fourth player. Angus Brayshaw. It was playing Brayshaw through the middle that let us release Petracca forward. Unfortunately, there's no-one even close to stepping into his shoes.

Melksham will be lucky to play another full season unfortunately, We shouldn't be hoping for him fixing our fwd issue in the long run.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

I'm not mad, I'm just really disappointed...

Seriously though, that was pretty poor. In front of a huge crowd. In a game against a HUGELY depleted side. Where we had to atone for last week(s), and the final last year - a lot to play for but couldn't see the fire in the belly. I am not saying the boys didn't try, because I hate when that's the conclusion - but there's a different between trying - and red hot fire in the belly to win each moment. I couldn't see that today. The team look out at sea. 

My main issue is we're considerably outside the 8 now (GWS are 28pts, good % and one game less) and DISTURBINGLY we are one win ahead of the Hawks. We've got the Roos after the bye but honestly, and I am not being hyperbolic here, they will also smell blood in the water - we are WOEFUL right now - and they will fancy themselves (the Eagles humbled us, and they been smashed by everyone else since). If you remember, and I certainly do, the Roos held an embarrassing record over us, even in periods when they were average. And beyond all of that is next year. Yeah, sure if we keep going with whatever it is we're doing (I don't even recognise this team, can't identify what it is we're trying to do and how it will win games - we have overcorrected), we will miss the 8 - fine - but Max is not getting any younger, nor is May. 2 crucial pillars. We can recruit heavily in the offseason but WHO would want to come to us right now. We look like we're going back to the dark ages. Talent out there wants to win games, not get pumped. We have a good list, with some exceptional talent - but it obviously means diddly squat right now.

I believe we COULD still launch next year if we pick up some talent to help Max and May, but again I am just not sure how we sell the right people to join. What is the game plan? Where are we going? We're one win away from the Hawks!!! Who knows what will happen after the bye. We've already had numerous chances to 'make statements' and 'respond'.

Gah

Anyway. Sad to see that today was our 'response'. Wasteful, confused, fire-free footy. Midfield punished again. 17th in the comp now for clearances!

If we're looking positives, and I guess we have to for mental health, Rivers was great. JVR good, Koz tried hard. ANB. 

That's all for now, going to grab a glass of wine and remember that there is more to life than footy haha

• Like 5
  • Clap 1
  • Sad 1

Great to see JVR kick three on one of the best 1-on-1 defenders in the comp in Darcy Moore but aside from that, I can't say there's a whole lot to look forward to at the moment.

Windsor looked ok and McVee kept Hill quiet I suppose.

• Like 2

A main reason for our struggles is Oliver going from a superstar to a C grade plodder. He has always been an ordinary kick, but he offers no drive anymore. We should revisit a trade at the end of the season, because his contract is an albatross now. 

Salem is also cooked. The decision to play him at high half back means we get no value from turnovers. Compare what he gives compared to Saad.

Laurie is an average VFL player. The decision to give him another two years before the season should put Tim Lamb on notice. 

Great effort by ANB. 

• Like 7
  • Facepalm 1

This won't be a popular post but I thought the lads had a real crack. I'm not angry or disappointed because aside from finishing off infront of goal I thought the game was an improvement from Freo. We're a bottom of the 8 sort of side this year for a few reasons

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thinking 1

7 minutes ago, GCDee said:

Add Oliver to that list. 
A real leader of the club would have self imposed a suspension and not played to start the year until he completed the work that he missed. 
He is a young guy that went through a lot clearly, but clearly not team first and those issues are still bubbling. 

That is the dumbest comment ever to come out of Demonland & that’s saying something. Yes he’s had issues of late, but he’s a four time B&F winner.

Remember not long ago there was talk about him becoming one of the best ever Demons

Wake up & grow up, ya big baby

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

11 minutes ago, At the break of Gawn said:

I know we would have scolded Goody if we hadn’t of tagged Daicos, but tagging Daicos with AnB let them have that extra spare down back which absolutely killed our forward chances, especially early.

Very poor from our mids again, especially after half time. Got belted in clearance. Bit hard to win territory when they win clearances (especially centre clearances so easily)

Should have gone a hard tag from Viney if I’m honest but he doesn’t have the tank. I know he puts 100% in but he’s the opposite of a dangerous mid, he’s offering us nothing at the moment.

Poor coaching again of our mids. We just have no answer to winning clearances.

Poor coaching again of our forwards. I’m not sure what they’re doing with Fritsch but he doesn’t look dangerous anymore.

We’re just a middle of the road side extremely down on confidence. If I were Goody, I’d use the remaining games for a launchpad for 2025. 

The amount of times Oliver got into position to win the ball but then see him blindly bang it onto his boot to nobody was so frustrating and self defeating.

• Like 3

No i am mad. From the two missed tackles that led to the first goal to the soft attempt of a spoil by billings. I was shaking in fury. 

last two weeks we have missed so many tackles and handball to someone in a worst position.

i hope trac is all right. Him on a trolley in the rooms didn’t help my blood pressure 

Edited by Rocknroll
  • Like 3
  • Clap 2

23 minutes ago, John Crow Batty said:

In less than a month we get smashed by the former worst team in the comp, get smashed by the most fickle side in the comp, get smashed by the most undermanned side in the comp and next game against another former worst team in the comp. I think we will win that one. 

We have the bye next. I’m thinking we might lose that too.

• Haha 3
  • Clap 1

It's not simply that we lost. We should have won by 30 points given their outs.

It was a 70 point massacre on the big stage.

Nothing in the cupboard at Casey unless we want to reward NQR players. Why was Laurie selected on no more than a workmanlike VFL performance.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, dees189227 said:

I'm really not sure where we go from here

We'll go down.
The 'Dynasty' is over and normal programming will now resume.
Sunday arvos here we come.

Edited by Fork 'em
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

The only coach who should survive the season is Chaplin, and even then it may be time for him to move on too. 

Goodwin, McQualter, Stafford, Mark Williams and Conca should all be out on their ear.

Under them, we are less than the sum of our parts.

• Like 4
  • Clap 1
  • Thinking 1

8 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

A classic MFC tale. 

That's a function of the forward half territory, repeat stoppage game.

That said, Collingwood constantly kicked goals from everywhere, where Kozzy and Fritta missed very regulation shots at goal.

Edited by Binmans PA
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

i'll save a post about the game until later but by gee Collingwood fans have sunk to a new low. 

The absolutely vile stuff being said about angus and the championing of maynard made me sick and also just very sad. 

Genuine waste of oxygen, the lot of them. 

• Like 8
  • Angry 2

23 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

I'm trying to think whether getting beaten by a Collingwood team with 11 of its first choice players out is worse than being beaten by an Essendon VFL side like we were a few years back.

This club has no heart.

The can take their pay checks and far8off for all I care

Is there 11? I can only count 8. Still a disgrace but let’s at least get the facts straight.

Just now, Pirlo said:

The only coach who should survive the season is Chaplin, and even then it may be time for him to move on too. 

Goodwin, McQualter, Stafford, Mark Williams and Conca should all be out on their ear.

Under them, we are less than the sum of our parts.

Like that expression.. we are less than the sum of our parts.

Definitely can’t claim the coaches are getting the best out of their players. Quite the opposite really..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Strap in people. Given how well the football department and admin cashed in on our 'peak' period, I expect we're going to have a ripper of a time during our slide.

The arrogance of the club from top to bottom coming off '21 was just astonishing (including supporters with comments like 'why would player x want to go and play for club y when they could play at the Dee's and win 3 or 4 flags). The ball was dropped massively on a chance to rebuild the image of the club.

And despite the fact that our stubborn coach enforces a style of 'attack' that borders on mind numbing, he gave the players a style of play that he proved to them could win big games against good teams, that was predicated on applying pressure and forcing turnovers anywhere more than 40m from defensive goal. Yet these clowns just completely stopped applying pressure. A pressure rating in the 150s today? Seriously? And it must have been in the 140s in Q1 of our final v Coll last year. WTF? I mean, really WTF are these guys doing? Does it get a little bit of adrenalin running when they start getting touched up by VFL players? Like make them run harder and throw themselves in to the contest for a bit? They really just don't seem to mind too much.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, DemonWA said:

This won't be a popular post but I thought the lads had a real crack. I'm not angry or disappointed because aside from finishing off infront of goal I thought the game was an improvement from Freo. We're a bottom of the 8 sort of side this year for a few reasons

Agree. No depth whatsoever. Shallow midfield. Hopeless forward line. [censored] coaching.

Very deflated coming out of that game. Not only was the execution poor, but unfortunately the effort was also missing from some players - they are either physically cooked or not fully there.

It’s odd, because until the Brisbane game, we looked good and dynamic - what has happened?!

I can’t see us making the 8 like this - we are getting bullied by teams and seem void of ideas. I also agree with previous posters that our list needs a major overhaul - too few players doing the legwork.

16 minutes ago, DubDee said:

Aside from Gawn no one really stood up

when we getting smashed, no one made a statement with a bump or whatever

just soft. 

Soft players and club

Actually thougt Tmac gave a fair effort. ANB not the worst...   JVR... cameos really.

Gawn gave all but we rarely get to use his advantage.  Kozzie...was Kozzie.

Many might laugh but Laurie not the worst. That he wasnt speaks volumes for the rest.

Struggling now..   

Overall  , just abysmal...   from the Box to the final siren.

• Like 1