Time to Blood Jeffo

Tim TakToe, give Jeff’s a go!

• Shocked 1

We are developing him nicely. The club would know how strong he is in contests and how AFL ready he is. I suspect not ready til 2025 but i trust the club after all the players we have developed over the past 5 years. An early debut can hurt a player’s confidence 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Matthew ( or Eddie as one of those challenged commentators called him ) was very good today .After he kicked that early goal his confidence was palpable .Consider this his VFL break through game .Not nearly ready for AFL but saw green shoots today .

• Like 1
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

His highlights from today.

VFL Showreel, R9: Matthew Jefferson highlights
https://www.afl.com.au/video/1139897

Thanks Dazz, veerry promising, just needs confidence, a tank and another year in the gym, do u agree??

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

12 hours ago, picket fence said:

Thanks Dazz, veerry promising, just needs confidence, a tank and another year in the gym, do u agree??

Unlike others, I haven't written him off.

Some guys develope at a different rate to other.

I learnt a big lesson after stating on here when I watched Judd McVee at Casey that he would be the first to be delisted and will end up playing country footy back in WA the following year (2023). I honestly thought he wasn't much chop at all but how wrong have I been proven.. I look like a pelican after those comments.

It's a lesson just to not write them off completely and to be patient with their development at VFL level.

I still think he's still fair bit off AFL level but if he can continue to put in 3-4 goal performances like this on a consistent level then why not hey..? 

He's certainly on the right track in my opinion. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Surely, he comes under consideration for a Pathetic Petty??

Petty is pretty hopeless right now, he has a good game every now and then that keeps him in the frame but he's not doing well.

Jeffo coming along very nicely, glad to see it, can't wait till he's ready to go!

Edited by Young Angus

22 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Unlike others, I haven't written him off.

Some guys develope at a different rate to other.

I learnt a big lesson after stating on here when I watched Judd McVee at Casey that he would be the first to be delisted and will end up playing country footy back in WA the following year (2023). I honestly thought he wasn't much chop at all but how wrong have I been proven.. I look like a pelican after those comments.

It's a lesson just to not write them off completely and to be patient with their development at VFL level.

I still think he's still fair bit off AFL level but if he can continue to put in 3-4 goal performances like this on a consistent level then why not hey..? 

He's certainly on the right track in my opinion. 

I'll put my hand up in that I had.

I have never bagged the kid and always hoped to be pleasantly surprised but there were games last year he just didn't look to have the energy and physical presence that worried me.  I get that he was still a beanpole young lad but no matter how much size and muscle you put on, you can't teach a lad courage to beeline the pill at full speed, crashing a pack.  That's something I didn't see enough of to give me confidence in him. 

In comparison, JVR launched at everything early at the games I was at, was physical in his tackling and is what I was comparing young Jeffo to.  JVR just had so much more intensity which is probably what I have always compared Jeffo to.

It looks like there is more space now in the Casey forward line and he's looking a lot better as a key target.

I haven't seen any Casey games this year other than some highlights.  Can anyone tell me what his engine looks like?  Is he completing big leads up the wing and pushing back or just roaming around the forward 50?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Good to see him finally have breakout game. While he is developing in the hardest position on the field if he can string a strong 4-5 games together and debut could come later this year.

Weed only played about 10 games or so before debuting in a final and with Petty out of form anything is possible.

Edited by Jibroni
  • Like 1

The absolute worse thing we can do right now is rush Jefferson in, have him struggle (which he no doubt will in our less than perfect forwardline), and crush the confidence he's building in the VFL.

Let him continue to build his form at Casey, and his fitness, and when he's put together 2-3 good months then we can potentially give him a taste later in the year and set him up for another big pre-season.

Everyone screamed to bring JVR in before he was ready. We let him develop at Casey, and he's rarely missed a senior game since debuting. This is the sort of development and continuity you want. 

• Like 3

I had written him off too & happy to be proved wrong but let's keep it in perspective.

After a season & a half that's probably the 2nd time he's been named in Casey's best. He needs a few consecutive performances like yesterday before being considered for promotion.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

22 minutes ago, Jibroni said:

Good to see him finally have breakout game. While he is developing in the hardest position on the field if he can string a strong 4-5 games together and debut could come later this year.

Weed only played about 10 games or so before debuting in a final and with Petty out of form anything is possible.

weideman debuted in 2016 after kicking 20 goals in 11 games in his first season at casey

he'd had three seasons in the system before the 2018 afl finals campaign

• Like 2

Josh Schache played the first 4 matches of the VFL season for Casey. In that time he kicked 11 goals (1, 4, 3 and 3) and is a very good VFL forward. He has since been injured and unable to play for Casey.

In those games since Schache has been missing, Jefferson has played 4 games and kicked 11 goals 7. 

Jefferson has struggled to do the running needed to impact the game as often the fourth tall/marking forward in the team behind Schache, Fullarton and Brown (and McAdam, and sometimes Turner). That will take time and preseasons as his body matures. But when he's being asked to do a bigger load as a key forward target, as he has been in the past 4 matches where Casey have played 2, 3, 2 and 2 tall forwards) he's stepped up and performed well. 

We have some capable tall forwards that can play AFL in JVR, Petty and Turner, so there's no rush to get Jefferson in. Just let him keep getting continuity as his body and tank build. It's slow, boring, but also much more likely to work. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Great to see Jeffo improving, but a bit of a reality check for all his ‘promoters’, did they not see how woeful St.Kilda was yesterday?  He kicked 5 against the blokes who weren’t good enough to get a game with that mob. 

• Thinking 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, The Chief said:

Great to see Jeffo improving, but a bit of a reality check for all his ‘promoters’, did they not see how woeful St.Kilda was yesterday?  He kicked 5 against the blokes who weren’t good enough to get a game with that mob. 

Agree.. His 5 goals was great but he didn't dominate.

(By comparison Weid did dominate in his breakout 5/6 goal game against Box Hill)

Trending nicely and all the better for sharing the forward line with BBB as Weid did against Box Hill that day

If we manage to be in a good position for that final game against North I'd risk him as a sub and give him a half as a sign that he's doing well.

A long way to go for a player many wrote off a few weeks ago

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Clap 1

Jeff will be gold but would hate to rush him, green banana analogy a good one, he comes in when the time is right he is a long term prospect and will hopefully be great alongside JVR.

McAdam needs to get better or Milky will easily take his spot as soon as he's fit and able, oh can't wait for him to be ready that'll be delicious!

• Thanks 1