PREGAME: Rd 10 vs West Coast

48 minutes ago, DubDee said:

who knows?

would be handy if he could though

I'm all in on giving Tomlinson a try up forward. We know he can ruck. Neither Turner or JVR setting the world on fire atm. One of either Verrell or Fullarton might be selected but VFL form for both has been moderate and I believe doesn't warrant being chosen. For me nothing to lose by trying Tomlinson in the front half. He may well surprise.  Unfortunately, for some reason, his card is marked and it is unlikely to happen.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

He can barely play back. Casey stats have been hiding some ordinary form where he’s consistently beat at the contest. None of his attributes make sense as a forward, although he’d be potentially ok as a ruck around the ground 

He (Tommo) did play some time in the ruck at GWS...so maybe he is the better choice.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Deelectable said:

I'm all in on giving Tomlinson a try up forward. We know he can ruck. Neither Turner or JVR setting the world on fire atm. One of either Verrell or Fullarton might be selected but VFL form for both has been moderate and I believe doesn't warrant being chosen. For me nothing to lose by trying Tomlinson in the front half. He may well surprise.  Unfortunately, for some reason, his card is marked and it is unlikely to happen.

but he was already tried fwd when we first traded him. and numerous times at GWS. He lacks fwd nouse, agility and skill. Key back is his only position

• Clap 1

13 minutes ago, rjay said:

He (Tommo) did play some time in the ruck at GWS...so maybe he is the better choice.

I don't think the 5 minutes a quarter that Max is on the bench is enough of a reason to pick someone, it's a matter of who is the most value forward. Fullarton's the logical choice if he's healthy because he's basically a big forward flanker and we can hopefully leave the actual forward line play to Petty, Fritsch and Tracc.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Young Blood said:

I worry about Petty's little foot if he's going to do ruck work. Precious boy

This probably says more about you than Petty. 

• Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
  • Clap 2

Bowsa’s 50th this weekend. 🥳

Considering he played every match from debuting in 2021 to midway through 2022, this feels like it’s a long time coming.

Because some of us are doing Sleep at the ‘G tomorrow night, banner making is tonight. Let’s hope the little ginger one isn’t dropped this week since we’ll be acknowledging his milestone on the banner.
#Awkies
😂

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, DubDee said:

but he was already tried fwd when we first traded him. and numerous times at GWS. He lacks fwd nouse, agility and skill. Key back is his only position

Yes but that was four years ago. He has developed as a good player. Also his time forward was a very small sample size. Verrell has shown a bit in the ruck but nothing up forward. Fullarton has shown something up forward but nothing in the ruck. I would be very loathe to risk Petty. Having said all that can't see Tomlinson being selected. His card is marked.

• Love 1

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I don't think the 5 minutes a quarter that Max is on the bench is enough of a reason to pick someone, it's a matter of who is the most value forward. Fullarton's the logical choice if he's healthy because he's basically a big forward flanker and we can hopefully leave the actual forward line play to Petty, Fritsch and Tracc.

You're probably right...but I haven't been overly impressed with Fullarton forward or in the ruck.

As it stands he (Fullarton) may be injured anyway.

Edited by rjay

3 hours ago, Redleg said:

IMO if its dry BBB and Verrall come in for JVR and Disco.

I would ruck Verrall and Petty or even Tom Mac a bit, depending on match ups.

Woey to get a full game in front of the family and friends.

I would manage Max and freshen him and save him the flight as well.

If Salem is fit he is in. 

Surely you aren’t suggesting our Premiership captain doesn’t even travel to Perth.  

3 hours ago, jnrmac said:

WHY CAN"T TOMMO PLAY FWD?

I was going to say Tomo might not understand our forward structures, but … 🤔

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, monoccular said:

Surely you aren’t suggesting our Premiership captain doesn’t even travel to Perth.  

Well actually yes.

Max could be exhausted mentally and physically with the playing, training, extra commitments as Captain and family with 2 young kids.

Instead of him travelling/playing, I would give him a break to be with his family, to refresh and have some footy downtime.

I am sure if we can do that a couple of times this year, say against the Roos, we will have more chance of having a fit Max in the finals.

Eagles are not strong in the ruck and tbh I don't think that would be a reason for us not winning.

The Cats manage multiple players during the season.

2 minutes ago, Redleg said:

I am sure if we can do that a couple of times this year, say against the Roos, we will have more chance of having a fit Max in the finals.

Agree... this should be factored into the list selection and the annual plan for any player over 28.

We need to think about doing the same for Viney and May for example

If we can get these players through to 34/35 in top condition then list balance looks completely different.

I'm starting to think that given injuries of around 5 players is the norm for most clubs our list sizes are perhaps too small by say 5 players.

On 11/05/2024 at 12:31, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Assuming he’s available, do we put the Salem to midfield experiment back on the agenda?

I think Trac needs to spend far more time up forward as he’s a natural forward who will get plenty of looks each game. But we’re robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Salo's a renowned slow starter when returning from injury.

Personally if that is the intention  (straight back in as a mid field experiment) i'd prefer to see him put in (at least) two solid hit outs at Casey and produce some pretty solid form as well!

He hasn't exactly set the world on fire through the middle imo and i wouldn't see him as being a 'proven' starting mid fielder (yet) either.

As a coach, action always speaks louder than words.  How bad does he want to play this role?  Does he have what's required to make a difference?

It's a big ask for any non-midfielder to suddenly run through there on a regular basis, mentally but especially physically.  No different for Salo.

Of course that won't happen as SG never utilises Casey for this sort of match fitness / form build up for non-fringe regular 22s for some reason.

Alternatively if he's just slotting back to his usual HB role there shld be no issues coming in (off the bench?).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Demon Dynasty said:

Salo's a renowned slow starter when returning from injury.

Personally if that is the intention  (straight back in as a mid field experiment) i'd prefer to see him put in (at least) two solid hit outs at Casey and produce some pretty solid form as well!

He hasn't exactly set the world on fire through the middle imo and i wouldn't see him as being a 'proven' starting mid fielder (yet) either.

As a coach, action always speaks louder than words.  How bad does he want to play this role?  Does he have what's required to make a difference?

It's a big ask for any non-midfielder to suddenly run through there on a regular basis, mentally but especially physically.  No different for Salo.

Of course that won't happen as SG never utilises Casey for this sort of match fitness / form build up for non-fringe regular 22s for some reason.

Alternatively if he's just slotting back to his usual HB role there shld be no issues coming in (off the bench?).

I think the VFL is treated like an extra training session these days, rather than a respected competition, which is a real shame

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

51 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Well actually yes.

Max could be exhausted mentally and physically with the playing, training, extra commitments as Captain and family with 2 young kids.

Instead of him travelling/playing, I would give him a break to be with his family, to refresh and have some footy downtime.

Eagles are not strong in the ruck and tbh I don't think that would be a reason for us not winning.

The Cats manage multiple players during the season.

Everybody is different and I'm not being judgmental. However, some people might find it restful and refreshing to be away from the family for a couple of days.

10 hours ago, Neil Crompton said:

Left field: Tommo in to the backline, and send May to FF, just for this game. 
Tommo at least has decent form in the VFL, and I love to see May crash a few packs up forward. 

How long have you seen Maysie crash forward packs in the AFL for Melbourne?? 

5, 10 or 15 minutes total in his 100 games certainly not on the last 50/60 for sure. If we need such a n upsetting the defence move to gains in the forward line at the start of a game then that sends a real upshot of absolute panic in our team against a bottom team. 

You only need to see how we still are vulnerable when one of our 4 or 5 AA mids or defenders gets injured during a game to abandon such a knife in the foot such as this suggestion. 

Switch  around our forwards and mids because it’s fast area if the ground thst causes us more grief than any mother. 

Only if it’s later in the game maybe May and Petty could swap if as a last resort is needed. But it’s most likely  not our defence in strife but our forwards. And our history over 4/5 years shows we win these sorts of games with a team effort. 

43 minutes ago, Demon Dynasty said:

He quite frankly hasn't set the world on fire at all since getting injured in round 1 2022.

28 degrees in Perth on Sunday. Is that abnormally high for this time of year over there?

8 hours ago, D Rev said:

I think May would explode at this as a suggestion

I believe he played his junior footy as a forward and from last year's D'land interview he mentioned he was a bit miffed at the Suns when he was asked to play in defence but eventually embraced it.  

Personally, I don't mind seeing these sort of moves if the game isn't close.  Doubt it's going to lead to an onslaught of goals one way or the other but the experience of playing in different positions has value.

• Like 1

I think under no circumstances should be tamper with our backline. Apart from a short lapse in the first quarter against Carlton, it has done an unbelievable job. Having TMac in great form back there has been the final piece in the jigsaw.

With Salem, his form before his injury was not that great. To me, he seemed to be a little bit slow for a midfielder but I suspect he would be best served by a short stint at Casey to find form and fitness.

If Fullarton is fit, surely this is exactly the situation the club got him for: we need a fill-in forward/ruck, and this is his opportunity. If we don't select him, why have we got him?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DubDee said:

Other than that - it's all systems go for Tommo.

• Haha 4
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Ollie fan said:

I think under no circumstances should be tamper with our backline. Apart from a short lapse in the first quarter against Carlton, it has done an unbelievable job. Having TMac in great form back there has been the final piece in the jigsaw.

With Salem, his form before his injury was not that great. To me, he seemed to be a little bit slow for a midfielder but I suspect he would be best served by a short stint at Casey to find form and fitness.

If Fullarton is fit, surely this is exactly the situation the club got him for: we need a fill-in forward/ruck, and this is his opportunity. If we don't select him, why have we got him?

Cos he's cheap and cheerful. And we may not have arrived at the 'break glass in an emergency' point yet.

1 hour ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

28 degrees in Perth on Sunday. Is that abnormally high for this time of year over there?

It is but we have certainly had a long summer, it’s high 20s all week. 4.20pm WST Sunday should be perfect for footy.

West Coast will be up for a challenge at home, but if we play as we have in the last couple of games outside of that first quarter vs Carlton, we should win

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Young Blood said:

I worry about Petty's little foot if he's going to do ruck work. Precious boy

Not funny.

I heard an interview with Tom McDonald recently and he had a foot injury a couple of years so. And he understands what Petty is experiencing. It’s not only a physical recovery but also psychological.

Petty will be worried that if he puts too much pressure on his foot that he will injure it again.So the more he plays and stays uninsured , the more his confidence will grow.
I think that’s what Tommy said!

• Like 2
  • Love 2

38 minutes ago, Dingo said:

So the more he plays and stays uninsured , the more his confidence will grow.

I think that’s what Tommy said!

Uninjured?

• Haha 1