POSTGAME: Practice Match vs Carlton

Demonland

4 minutes ago, Bang Bang Bang said:

Perfect hit out. Looks like our old warriors still have it, some younger role players are ready to step up, and our teenagers (namely Windsor) have serious talent. 

Not convinced by Schache's role, even in the short term, but even he kicked 2 and did his bit. 

Clarry looks like he's going to be cherry ripe just in time for Round 0 too. 

From the sounds of it - we are not rushing him back. 

We have had such an interrupted and maligned pre-season that I would prefer we build toward the season and not think that the season is won and lost in the first month.

Losses are not the end of the story, but mishandled individual chapters will be.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 2

Our defensive structure was back to it’s best. Windsor and Billing’s are clearly locks for round 1. Howes did his role and I think he likely plays as it allows Salem to play more mid (which makes a massive difference). Max. Sparrow. Salem best 3 for mine. I would play JVR and Schache as the talls but have JVR as the chopout for Max. Only concern for me is our small forwards minus Koz. A couple of nice cameo touches from each of Kynan, Kolt and Will in the last as well. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Lil_red_fire_engine said:

Our defensive structure was back to its best. Windsor and Billing’s are clearly locks for round 1. Howes did his role and I think he likely plays as it allows Salem to play more mid (which makes a massive difference). Max. Sparrow. Salem best 3 for mine. I would play JVR and Schache as the talls but have JVR as the chopout for Max. Only concern for me is our small forwards minus Koz. A couple of nice cameo touches from each of Kynan, Kolt and Will in the last as well. 

Kynan comes in Round 1 for Koz. 

• Like 3
  • Thinking 1

Hard to know how much was Carlton being woeful. And how much was quality ball movement and excellent defensive intent.

Gawn, Viney, Tracc dominated the first half. Salo was exactly what our midfield needed. Windsor’s goals were excellent he just needs to take safer options in general play, doesn’t have to lace it every kick.

Rivers was very much back on and alongside Bowey and Lever were excellent across half back. Tomlinson and Howes improved and did enough to book their places for round O at least.

Forward pressure and zone was excellent, we’ll miss Kossie so much tho. Did Schache do enough? Certainly not as a key forward 

• Like 6
  • Thinking 1

Not a fan of AFL imposed practice games (if the clubs want to then so be it but not HQ sanctioned), but good to see some dominant footy from the dees and of course no injuries is a blessing. 

Hopefully the club are ready for next Thursday and we all can move forward after this offseason. 

Windsor is looking like a jet and will be thrown in the deep end round one. Will be tough for hunter to get back in. 

Billings does just enough and is a classy player. Would love to see more but just don’t think that is him. But his kicking is a welcome addition. 

Salem in the guts is a great tweak to the magnets. Let’s hope he can stay fit and can assist the midfielders with his silky skills. 

A couple of negatives from tonight are fritsch’s kicking (surely he can’t be that bad again) and Tomlinson was exposed by McKay a few times (but the two Carlton forwards are one of the best duos going around).  And lastly would be nice to see Oliver in the firsts getting his touch back with his teammates…..but can understand why he isnt there. 

• Like 5

All very nice for a February kick and giggle.  ANB took a long time to get up to speed, Schache monstered in the ruck, Tommo struggles 1 on 1, May looks like he has no flexibility through his trunk (body, not proboscis).

Max just dominates.  Midfield setup worked, flatter kicks to target worked nicely, as did ball movement through the corridor.

No injuries and some kids having a run = big win.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, gs77 said:

As it happened, so were we. 

Weitering and Walsh are two big outs - two of  their best four players.

But it is a mark of just how good our midfield is that we could be missing one of best 3 players, and one of the best 3 mids in the AFL, and not miss him

• Like 8

I thought we took first options a lot more, and moved it thru the corridor very well. Our defence was solid as usual. I’m confident in our lads taking us too the finals again. Did somebody say……………WGAF what they’ve said. Go Dee’s 

• Like 3

I got the strangest picture in my head thinking about Windsor and Sparrow.

Imagine one of those car refit shows (Pimp my Ride, etc to 1000 variations) and two teams are given an identical base car and told to transform it in whatever way they are inspired. One team decides to rip out the back seats and completely rebuild the engine for maximum torque to produce a ute with enough grunt to tow Scott Morrison's [censored] up a hill. The other team strips the heavy gear out, upgrades the suspension and fine tunes the gears, throws on a rear spoiler and presents to the judges a smooth-rding highway cruiser.

Anyway, it was just a random thought. Probably just because they have very similar chin, jawline, cheekbones and hair.

3e4d95ee8616bb6b45e89deedd8e254879058e2c

999391.png?im=Scale,width=0.6,height=0.6

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Clap 2

Looks like rumours of our death have been greatly exaggerated . Only a practise match but lots to like. Schache no physicality whatsoever but if you can find him on a lead he won't miss many..

• Like 5

My favourite part was how the commentators went from talking up our problems and the off season pre game while talking Carlton up to talking about how we are a quality outfit and finished top 4 the last 3 years by the end. 

• Like 15
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Little Goffy said:

I got the strangest picture in my head thinking about Windsor and Sparrow.

Imagine one of those car refit shows (Pimp my Ride, etc to 1000 variations) and two teams are given an identical base car and told to transform it in whatever way they are inspired. One team decides to rip out the back seats and completely rebuild the engine for maximum torque to produce a ute with enough grunt to tow Scott Morrison's [censored] up a hill. The other team strips the heavy gear out, upgrades the suspension and fine tunes the gears, throws on a rear spoiler and presents to the judges a smooth-rding highway cruiser.

Anyway, it was just a random thought. Probably just because they have very similar chin, jawline, cheekbones and hair.

3e4d95ee8616bb6b45e89deedd8e254879058e2c

999391.png?im=Scale,width=0.6,height=0.6

Little Goffy, I'm just not sure if you're on too much medication or not enough.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

24 minutes ago, dees189227 said:

Salem is so so vital for us & must stay fit. His kicking is elite.

Good to score 15 goals and see different players score.

But gee frustrated not to have kozzie next week 

I have been hesitant to consider Salem in the midfield, preferring his work in the backline. However, in this practice interclub match against Carlscum, he shone as a midfielder. This probably indicates his current fitness achievements and readiness for the season; yet, his footwork and delivery from the midfield was almost immaculate; he enforced plays to creative, lesser forwards who were prepared to find space, to move and to scrounge the ball with good hands. Salem brought many of our 'smalls' into the game wherein his foot-passing could be relied upon, opening chances instead of rebounds by the opposition, and strengthening the whole forward progression of the ball and the team intent. Great effort, Salo - great thinking. 

Also, Max was phabulous! All game. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

32 minutes ago, Maldonboy38 said:

System & personnel looking good.

Salem and Sparrow as mids is very, very pleasing.

Bring on Caleb Windsor.

Fritsch very rusty.

Great signs, yes.

• Like 2

Perhaps my favourite little thing;

Gawn rediscovering how to handball! After bashing everything on the boot for 2 years he was dishing clever handballs to runners which is far more useful. He moved really well 

• Like 12

Salem in the midfield love to see that continue, shocking he’s never had a run at it till now.

Don’t like Tomlinson down back but maybe he allows may and lever to play there roles 

Schache as a fwd looked as good as I’ve seen, ruck not so much but I’ll take what I can get.

Sparrow looks like he will go another level.

Windsor looks like he will have an immediate impact so another good pick by the recruiting team.

• Like 2