Welcome to Demonland: Caleb Windsor

adonski

22 minutes ago, Gator said:

I saw a lot of Flower.

Nothing of Windsor reminds me of Flower.

I also saw a lot of Robbie including his first and last games and a lot in between.

He definitely has some traits that remind me of Robbie. There's a certain drive and swivel from the hips, running style and the same ballet dancer poise and movement especially evading tacklers, burst of pace leaving contests, decision making and skills. There's plenty of Robbie there. He's taller and already quite a bit heavier not that it would be hard to be heavier than Robbie's 68kg. He l already looks to be a better defensive player than Robbie. Time will tell. If he gets to have a career half as good as Robbie's we have a star on our hands. Early signs are very promising. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, Its Time for Another said:

I also saw a lot of Robbie including his first and last games and a lot in between.

He definitely has some traits that remind me of Robbie. There's a certain drive and swivel from the hips, running style and the same ballet dancer poise and movement especially evading tacklers, burst of pace leaving contests, decision making and skills. There's plenty of Robbie there. He's taller and already quite a bit heavier not that it would be hard to be heavier than Robbie's 68kg. He l already looks to be a better defensive player than Robbie. Time will tell. If he gets to have a career half as good as Robbie's we have a star on our hands. Early signs are very promising. 

Disagree.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1

55 minutes ago, Gator said:

I saw a lot of Flower.

Nothing of Windsor reminds me of Flower.

Watching him, Flower didn't really come to mind.

Not as elegant or as smooth a mover (robbie is my all time favorite player by so far its not funny, covered the ground beautifully but never looked like he was exerting any energy).

And doesn't really have the same way of feinting and avoiding contact that Robbie had where he looked like he wasn't actually moving. 

But as soon as i saw him play a proper game, Alan Johnson DID come to mind

How about Alan Johnson gator? 

Edited by binman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It’s not so much his look that reminds me of Flower it’s his ability at such a young age to be in the thick of traffic and not panic….to slightly slow time down and then find the right option. Then once he’s done that to not only execute but to then get himself into the clear and take the receive back….that’s a quality that only the very best have. The fact he’s only played 2 AFL games is quite astonishing. He could well become scary good in the years ahead. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

He has more pace than Robbie and is taller but he has a long way to go to be as good, maybe when he has played over 200 games we can then say Caleb Windsor was a great player in the mould of Robbie Flower.

• Like 1

We're onto a winner. I thought we reached for type when we drafted him, but already I know I was wrong and he's going to be special. JT is a genius.

We drafted him due to his pace and ability to link up and hit targets going inside 50. He's shown that already. Love the bit of play on the weekend where he marked at HBF, field was stagnant ahead of him, he short passed to teammates towards corridor then ran on for handball receive bursting forward and kicking forward. Gained us about 80 metres out of a stagnant field and gave us the exact type of drive we lack from the back half.

He's also already showed glimpse that he's got elite potential on the inside. His ability to shrug and turn through tackles is great, and he's got quick strong hands. If he can add more strength to his upper body, he could become the most rounded midfielder we've got. 

I'll get blasted for this, but most clear comparison player for me is Chris Judd as a youngster when he was more outside and pacy before his OP took away his burst and he moved more inside.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

We're onto a winner. I thought we reached for type when we drafted him, but already I know I was wrong and he's going to be special. JT is a genius.

We drafted him due to his pace and ability to link up and hit targets going inside 50. He's shown that already. Love the bit of play on the weekend where he marked at HBF, field was stagnant ahead of him, he short passed to teammates towards corridor then ran on for handball receive bursting forward and kicking forward. Gained us about 80 metres out of a stagnant field and gave us the exact type of drive we lack from the back half.

He's also already showed glimpse that he's got elite potential on the inside. His ability to shrug and turn through tackles is great, and he's got quick strong hands. If he can add more strength to his upper body, he could become the most rounded midfielder we've got. 

I'll get blasted for this, but most clear comparison player for me is Chris Judd as a youngster when he was more outside and pacy before his OP took away his burst and he moved more inside.

I 100% agree on the Chris Judd comparison, he's just a bit lighter than Judd when he first started.

I was also one who was worried when we drafted an 'outside' runner with the pick and remember thinking his stats at junior level were pretty pedestrian, but I can now see he is so much more than that. I already love the guy and just can't wait watching him develop into an absolute gun midfielder.

He is a great winger already, but I can see him developing to also play through the centre square once he adds 5-10 kgs.

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, binman said:

Watching him, Flower didn't really come to mind.

Not as elegant or as smooth a mover (robbie is my all time favorite player by so far its not funny, covered the ground beautifully but never looked like he was exerting any energy).

And doesn't really have the same way of feinting and avoiding contact that Robbie had where he looked like he wasn't actually moving. 

But as soon as i saw him play a proper game, Alan Johnson DID come to mind

How about Alan Johnson gator? 

Maybe a little.

I think it's easy to see little bits in lots of different players.  For example, my Brother sees a bit of Gerard Healy in Windsor.  I see a little bit of Bailey Smith in the way they move.

But the one player that has never had anyone remotely resemble him is Flower.  I've never seen anyone that reminds me of Flower.  They used to say Dean Kemp, but I couldn't see it in him either.

But each to their own.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Gator said:

Maybe a little.

I think it's easy to see little bits in lots of different players.  For example, my Brother sees a bit of Gerard Healy in Windsor.  I see a little bit of Bailey Smith in the way they move.

But the one player that has never had anyone remotely resemble him is Flower.  I've never seen anyone that reminds me of Flower.  They used to say Dean Kemp, but I couldn't see it in him either.

But each to their own.

My memory could be bad but I was of the opinion that the only player that had a Flower-like gate that I’d seen was Keith Greig from North. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Gator said:

Maybe a little.

But each to their own.

Robbie was not only the best, but the most ‘graceful’ player I have ever seen in my 70+ years watching football.  Absolute ‘poetry in motion’, and I feel privileged to have seen him play.   To my eye, nobody will ever match those traits, but gee, Caleb Windsor looks like a future star!

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Roost it far said:

Imagine if he’s as good as RF…..

I THINK I WOULD CRY!! 

It is the great mans 10th anniversary this year on October 2. Think of him often enough, great player, but even more so..... great mate!

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, Gator said:

Maybe a little.

But each to their own.

Yep, I can see what your brother means about a Healy, a good comparison.

I was gutted when Healy left, a star who like Windsor was a terrific runner, though Healy was perhaps not as quick. Great kick too.

The comparison will be even more apt when Windsor is 24-25 and bigger and stronger.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/03/2024 at 17:16, Demon Disciple said:

There will only ever be one Robbie Flower.

The way he ran in full flight……….it’s as if he was floating or running on air. It was as graceful as running could ever look.

Caleb runs so gracefully smoothly and effortlessly he will leave a legacy also from his career. The greatness in his run in none or heavy traffic is the end result goal usually through the absolute middle, or his short pass and his long beautiful torpedo floating with speed through the air to our advantage. He is a craftsman of a high order on the footy field. Magnificent to watch and we are the lucky ones with 250 games ahead to enjoy. 

Let’s not forget our other first year star in Blake Howes. Again he is so clean and. Never hurried and disposes do stylishly and accurately with the footy from the back. 

Easy on the eye just as Juddy and Bowser four stars  with very good disposal to assist our forwards and mids keep the ball in our hands at long last. 

• Thanks 1

On 21/03/2024 at 18:16, Demon Disciple said:

There will only ever be one Robbie Flower.

The way he ran in full flight……….it’s as if he was floating or running on air. It was as graceful as running could ever look.

maybe the geelong flyer - aka bobby davis?

can't remember too much except those iconic photos

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Robbie was the incomparable package - grace, style, speed, lightness, skill and every other attribute that can be bestowed on the greatest ever.

But, and this was only for a fleeting moment, the way Windsor stood and held his arms after a play, reminded me of Robbie.

Just that sweet memory, even if never repeated, was enough to bring me joy. Let's give him time to develop in his own way and not expect too much too soon or make comparisons with the incomparable.

• Like 3
  • Love 3

Been trying to keep the lid on, but this kid is a freak, simply going to be an enormous star, and he DOES remind me of Robbie more than anyone. (There, I’ve said it). 

• Like 11
  • Clap 1

On 11/02/2024 at 22:32, Macca said:

Howes & Hore are both 191cm (6'3" imperial measure)

Surely one of them can nail down a spot down back and could either of them play forward? 

It's desperate times, JD!

Tomlinson is 194cm,  Adams 196cm & Turner is 194cm

So plenty of height but can they play?  We know that Tomlinson is more than handy as a 3rd backman

T-Mac & Petty have made the transition forward so surely 1 of the 5 aforementioned can do the same

Just a thought!

I reckon Howes could do anything.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just the fact that it is being discussed brings a smile to my face.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Webber said:

Been trying to keep the lid on, but this kid is a freak, simply going to be an enormous star, and he DOES remind me of Robbie more than anyone. (There, I’ve said it). 

The faith his teammates have on him is enormous. They won't hesitate it getting the ball to him. 

• Like 3