Jump to content

AFLW: Rd 10 vs Brisbane



Recommended Posts

This is as good an excuse as any to start this, the final home and away match thread for AFLW8. I'm expecting the girls to carve 'em up. And, while this again demonstrates that defence and victory go hand in hand, I'm also expecting our stellar forwards to put a 'Yes!' in Casey Sherriff's body language, as opposed to her 'Oh, no!' herein 😁

AFLW Halloween | Pumpkin Carving Challenge

Over to you, now, @Meggs, or one of your colleagues, for the real pre-game assessment.

(p.s. Like the tops, which they also trained in. Some kind of 'Back To' celebration?)

F998dggbMAAnvuZ?format=jpg&name=large

  • Like 4
  • Love 4
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for kicking us off in such spooky style!

11 minutes ago, Timothy Reddan-A'Blew said:

(p.s. Like the tops, which they also trained in. Some kind of 'Back To' celebration?)

Retro jumpers! https://www.melbournefc.com.au/albums/1459316/aflw-training-gallery-retro-jumpers?modal=true&type=gallery&playlistId=1459316&playlistSize=10

"Harris set for return"

https://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/1459233/rd10-injury-report-harris-set-for-return

INJURYRD10.png?width=1904

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dees_In_October said:

Good to see a couple of Gaelics and a Basketball in there!

I imagine the bibs also had the requisite one or two capital letters on them?

Edited by Timothy Reddan-A'Blew
'E' before 'A' except after 'G'!
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DubDee said:

Season just started 7 weeks ago and its already the last game

what a joke

Agree..I've watched every game but only got to attend one. Fixturing has made it impossible (Geelong a Thursday night Frankston at 5pm on Friday).

It feels like it's just heating up and we're almost done again.

I know the bottom handful of sides probably don't have 17 competitive weeks in them, but something has to be done.

  • Like 5
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, deanox said:

I know the bottom handful of sides probably don't have 17 competitive weeks in them, but something has to be done.

The gulf between the ‘big three’ (Dees, Crows and Lions) and the rest of the comp is immense. How’s this for an unbelievable stat: Of the 167 matches played by one of the big three vs any team other than the big three, there’s been 3 draws, 133 wins and 31 losses! That’s nuts. That’s an 82% rate of winning. Even North aren’t immune from this rate… they’re 2 and 14 against the big three.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

The gulf between the ‘big three’ (Dees, Crows and Lions) and the rest of the comp is immense. How’s this for an unbelievable stat: Of the 167 matches played by one of the big three vs any team other than the big three, there’s been 3 draws, 133 wins and 31 losses! That’s nuts. That’s an 82% rate of winning. Even North aren’t immune from this rate… they’re 2 and 14 against the big three.

Interesting, W.

It feels like there's been even less losses than that, but it's only about one and a half per team per year.

Bulldogs were in that echelon once. Nothing's guaranteed, but long may our girls thrive.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Love having Tayla back! 

As a small aside - she is obviously an accomplished boxer, I always worry she is going to do a Barry Hall the way she is treated by defenders. I do that for all those with hand to hand combat skills… my kids educator at daycare does MMA… I am so nice to her.

I know it’s irrational but maybe stop hitting her in the back of the head every bloody time…

  • Like 3
  • Clap 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jordan Ivey’s in this week! Yay! A little earlier than she expected but so happy for her ❤️💙

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Congrats to Libby Birch on 75 games!
🌈 And a happy Pride Round to all 🌈

Michael Voss Oval win-loss record: Brisbane 2-3; Melbourne 1-0
Melbourne's win-loss record against Brisbane: 6-2 (Melbourne last played Brisbane in the 2022B Grand Final, a 4-point win)
Selected teams avg. games experience: Melb 46.4; Bris 43.3
2023 formline comparison:
Brisbane 6 wins (2nd, 3rd, 6th, 8th, 14th and 17th); 3 losses (9th, 10th and 12th)
Melbourne 8 wins (3rd, 7th, 10th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th and 18th); 1 loss (2nd)
Both played Adelaide (Melb -10; Bris +3); North (Melb +23; Bris +2); Collingwood (Melb +42; Bris -5) and Hawthorn (Melb +59; Bris +27)

If we take the field as selected, the following 14 players will have played all 10 H&A games in 2023: Bannan, Birch, Goldrick, Gillard, Hanks, Heath, Hore, B.Mackin, McNamara, Mithen, Purcell, Sherriff, West and Zanker. Ivey's first game of 2023 means we'll have played 28 total from our list of 31.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, rpfc said:

Love having Tayla back! 

As a small aside - she is obviously an accomplished boxer, I always worry she is going to do a Barry Hall the way she is treated by defenders. I do that for all those with hand to hand combat skills… my kids educator at daycare does MMA… I am so nice to her.

I know it’s irrational but maybe stop hitting her in the back of the head every bloody time…

I actually think her opponents give her a wider berth than most players for just that reason.

One punch and you know you're going to be on your bum.

Tayla plays incredibly hard but fair I reckon. She shows some pretty good discipline.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Brownie said:

I actually think her opponents give her a wider berth than most players for just that reason.

One punch and you know you're going to be on your bum.

Tayla plays incredibly hard but fair I reckon. She shows some pretty good discipline.

She might be a boxer and she might play physically but she doesn't seem to have basic self control issue, like many of the AFLM players do.

Lashing out with a fist is likely more an issue with emotional regulation than boxing skill.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, rpfc said:

Love having Tayla back! 

As a small aside - she is obviously an accomplished boxer, I always worry she is going to do a Barry Hall the way she is treated by defenders. I do that for all those with hand to hand combat skills… my kids educator at daycare does MMA… I am so nice to her.

I know it’s irrational but maybe stop hitting her in the back of the head every bloody time…

Tayla is not that kind of person, she's a beast on the footy ground as she is in the boxing ring, but she's got a hell of a lot of restraint.  She's certainly not in the Barry Hall category, put it that way.  If you ever get a chance to meet Tay, you'll see she's in reality a quiet, reserved person, and just loves people. 

Edited by Katrina Dee Fan
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I reckon occasionally Tayla goes into a mode where she throws her body around even more than usual, but agree she's very controlled and usually plays with a sort of calm aggression. There are several more hot-headed players on our team and certainly a few more interested in the niggle than she's ever been.

Speaking of hard at it, enjoyed this interview with Goldie. She talks about the switch between codes, moving to Australia this season, and the Jim Stynes connection. It's very obvious how Sinead's experiences at Dublin, failing many times then achieving success, made her a great asset for our team in taking the next step. Probably an underrated aspect of her contribution, aside from what we (and she, as it turns out!) describe as the "chaos" she brings on the field.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:

Tayla is not that kind of person, she's a beast on the footy ground as she is in the boxing ring, but she's got a hell of a lot of restraint.  She's certainly not in the Barry Hall category, put it that way.  If you ever get a chance to meet Tay, you'll see she's in reality a quiet, reserved person, and just loves people. 

It's probably a little odd for a 40yo to have a 'favourite' player. But Tayla is my favourite. The handful of conversations she's had with my kids and I over the boundary line have shown her to be a terrific person. Loves her team mates. Excited about footy. Genuinely Appreciates the fans. Very giving of her time. 

Edited by HardBallGet
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites


18 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I'm really pumped for tonight's game and the finals ahead.

Harris back in at just the right time.

Go Dees.

Me too.  Sure hoping to end up on the top of the ladder.  Hoping - and hoping for a home grand final (hoping to be there!)  I travelled to Queensland for the Grand final last year.  What a great experience!  My son is an avid supporter too and we want a Premiership at home.  No pressure, girls!😐

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, darkhorse72 said:

The fight by WC was quickly snuffed out. Maybe in the 2nd half the crows will wilt in the heat. Is damn hot over here today.

Yeah I thought it was too good to be true. As long as it’s not a blowout, and then we win tonight. Ending this round as minor premiers means so much.  🤞🏼 

Edited by WalkingCivilWar
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 03/11/2023 at 16:14, Dees_In_October said:

I reckon occasionally Tayla goes into a mode where she throws her body around even more than usual, but agree she's very controlled and usually plays with a sort of calm aggression. There are several more hot-headed players on our team and certainly a few more interested in the niggle than she's ever been.

Speaking of hard at it, enjoyed this interview with Goldie. She talks about the switch between codes, moving to Australia this season, and the Jim Stynes connection. It's very obvious how Sinead's experiences at Dublin, failing many times then achieving success, made her a great asset for our team in taking the next step. Probably an underrated aspect of her contribution, aside from what we (and she, as it turns out!) describe as the "chaos" she brings on the field.

 

Love Goldie, she is very underrated...having a great season.

 

Edited by rjay
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    CONSISTENCY by The Oracle

    "I think we have got a team that can win a premiership, and if we get in this year, I don't think there is a team that is going to want to play us. This year is not a write-off, I don't concede that. Not at all." — Collingwood President Jeff Browne. I love this sort of optimism from the Magpie President after his club’s eleven goal defeat at the hands of the fast rising Hawks. It’s consistent with the fighting spirit of the club that won last year’s flag.  I only wish I could say the s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 1

    FEARS by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne’s worst fears about the absence of Max Gawn were realised when it received a shellacking from Fremantle’s ruckmen Sean Darcy and Luke Jackson who dominated the hit out tally in their game at Optus Stadium on Sunday by a massive 47 to 19. As a result, the 50-point deficit at the end of the game proved to be a loss that was long foreseen that was two years in the making and demonstrated a complete lack of hindsight and planning from the club. To add insult to injury, Jackson was a D

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports 3

    PREGAME: Rd 20 vs GWS

    The Demons return to the MCG in Round 20 to take on the GWS Giants and will be hoping the injured Captain Max Gawn is fit to return to his role in the ruck as their season is slipping away. Who comes in and who comes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 208

    PODCAST: Rd 19 vs Fremantle

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Monday, 22nd July @ 7:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we analyse the Demonsl oss at Optus Stadium against the Dockers in the Round 19. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human. Listen & C

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 38

    VOTES: Rd 19 vs Fremantle

    The injured Max Gawn has a considerable lead over the injured reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Jack Viney, Alex Neal-Bullen & Steven May make up the Top 5. Your votes for the loss against the Dockers. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 20

    POSTGAME: Rd 19 vs Fremantle

    The Demons were once again outclassed, outplayed and outcoached by the Fremantle Dockers in 2024 ultimately going down by 50 points at Optus Stadium in Perth as they plummet to tenth on the ladder.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 316

    RAIN CHECK by Whispering Jack

    The Frankston Dolphins broke a run of six straight losses against their neighbours, the Casey Demons and kept their hopes for a long-awaited return to the VFL finals alive with a 27 point victory over at Kinetic Stadium. Casey was welcomed to the Peninsula by grey skies, heavy rain and angry seas with threatening white-capped waves whipped up by gale force winds. After a slow start in the opening term when they failed to take advantage of the breeze, it appeared that the Demons had decided

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    GAMEDAY: Rd 19 vs Fremantle

    It's Game Day and the Demons have a golden opportunity to stamp their 2024 finals credentials as well as make amends for their disastrous first meeting against the Dockers earlier in the season when they take on Fremantle at Optus Stadium.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 910

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    DEMONLAND - Good evening, Demon fans and welcome back to the Demonland 2024 Grand Final Podcast ... before we took that last phone call from a Demonlander, we were discussing how the club overcame it’s midseason slump, the season-ending injury to Christian Petracca and the loss for a brief period of skipper Max Gawn due to a  crack to the base of his right fibula, to slowly surge up the ladder turning our detractors into believers and how it ended the year triumphant in the finals with our capta

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 6
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...