Harrison Petty

Demonland

Posted (edited)

I would be thrilled if the Blues could lure Harrison Petty to Parc de Princes. Could get a mid 20s Premiership defender relatively cheaply whilst his stocks are lower.

He is not a foward (2 good games last year notwithstanding). Goodwin should stop trying to turn him into something he is not. The Blues tried that with Weitering playing forward some time ago, it didn't work. Not every defender is a forward in the making.

Petty is coming off a difficult injury, has been brought back prematurely and is now lacking confidence and conditioning.

I would be getting him back into defence.

Edited by No. 31
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The thought of trading Petty at the end of last year is ridiculous. Fast forward and you can imagine the backlash if KPF stocks at the start of the year comprised of: BBB, T Mac (both looking passed it) Jefferson (not ready) Schache (say no more) and JVR ( who is compelled to play 2nd ruck).

I suspect Petty is a confidence player who doesn't have full confidence in his body.

He showed what he can do as a forward against the Cats. I think he'll be a good player at the Crows.

• Sad 1

We are the ones playing him off no pre-season. We are the ones playing him forward as opposed to back. We are the ones chasing another tall back supposedly from St Kilda.

At some point this may be a sunk cost we may have to move on from but his form is entirely predictable and are options are obviously barren. 

We persist, not because we want to but because it is our only option.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ollie fan said:

This thread is disgusting. The way he is being discussed is appalling.

A few years ago TMac suffered a serious foot injury. For the following two years there was an enormous amount of vitriol directed at him - but look at him now: reborn!! The simple fact is, foot injuries of this type take years for full recovery. MFC supporters should know this: see Trengove, Vandenberg, Viney as well as TMac. 

Petty will come good. What is certain is that when he does, most of the posters here won't own up to how bad their behaviour has been and how wrong they were.

Fair call. If it's a foot injury that's hampering his form let's just put it out there. 

The issue for me is not what is causing his present performance or lack of thereof but the fact that we play him every single week. 

It's clearly not helping him or the club.

• Like 3
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Ollie fan said:

A few years ago TMac suffered a serious foot injury. For the following two years there was an enormous amount of vitriol directed at him - but look at him now: reborn!! The simple fact is, foot injuries of this type take years for full recovery. MFC supporters should know this: see Trengove, Vandenberg, Viney as well as TMac. 

Petty will come good. What is certain is that when he does, most of the posters here won't own up to how bad their behaviour has been and how wrong they were.

No it's not - it isn't personal

It's about his footy

No one said he was an evil human being 

And....not every workplace suits an employee

• Thanks 1

Whilst there is a bit of pile on we’re left with 3 main options

1) keep playing him forward where he may struggle 

2) slot him in the backline

3) send him to Casey to build up confidence and fitness. The issue here as you said is it can a long time with feet to get back to your best: 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, mo64 said:

The thought of trading Petty at the end of last year is ridiculous. Fast forward and you can imagine the backlash if KPF stocks at the start of the year comprised of: BBB, T Mac (both looking passed it) Jefferson (not ready) Schache (say no more) and JVR ( who is compelled to play 2nd ruck).

I suspect Petty is a confidence player who doesn't have full confidence in his body.

He showed what he can do as a forward against the Cats. I think he'll be a good player at the Crows.

Josh Rachele For Petty, thoughts ? At this rate of output, we won’t be getting a first round pick for Petts 

Edited by Viscount Cardwell
More content

So don't play him whilst injured if that is the case

He isn't capable of even trying at the moment. I will own up in the remote chance he comes good

• Clap 1

For whatever reason, Petty is not up to it at the moment and has been a major disappointment! Not laying blame anywhere, but we would be better served in making a similar investment in Fullarton. I'm confident his output would eclipse what Petty is able to dish up at present.

• Thinking 1

18 minutes ago, Viscount Cardwell said:

Josh Rachele For Petty, thoughts ? At this rate of output, we won’t be getting a first round pick for Petts 

I'd do that deal simply due to Petty's recent injury record, and if he has a strong desire to leave.

On 03/06/2024 at 13:23, SthSea22 said:

The problem is we have no depth

Do we want to see BBB again? NO

He just needs to show some ticker 

He's had 10 weeks to do that Sth... time is well and truly up plus if he plays anywhere near such a lowly level, even a slight bounce, he & we will probably be murdered (again) this week.

Terrible player / strategic management from SG & the FD on this one so far.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, John Demonic said:

McAdam vs Spargo at training for the longest kick would be a tense thriller of a matchup!

I've seen McAdam kick them three quarter goal post height from 50 at training with ease and that was weeks ago when he was still coming out of hammy recovery.

You have to ask WTH is going on down there as they appear to be prepping reasonably well (as a guess) then turning up and unable to produce in most first quarters then [censored] the bed allover the park in other matches.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 1

Presently the lowest rated player in the competition for season 2024 (Champion Data)*

*Not having a go at HP.  As i've said all season from the time he was brought in after 1 Casey game (zero impact), his comeback has been badly managed to say the least.

• Like 4

Petty is young and still quite immature. He benefits greatly from having leaders around him, hence why he was outstanding as a backman with May and Lever. He showed glimpses forward last year, Melksham helped his game. We really need leadership in the forward half. 
TMAC to play rest of the year forward and Petty back for the rest of the year.

Need to settle the team now, forwards play forwards, back play back etc. if we have holes, then we keep players in natural position and cope with it. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, SPC said:

Petty is young and still quite immature. He benefits greatly from having leaders around him, hence why he was outstanding as a backman with May and Lever. He showed glimpses forward last year, Melksham helped his game. We really need leadership in the forward half. 
TMAC to play rest of the year forward and Petty back for the rest of the year.

Need to settle the team now, forwards play forwards, back play back etc. if we have holes, then we keep players in natural position and cope with it. 

he's not young anymore - he turns 25 this upcoming off-season and should be entering the peak of his football powers

i agree that we lack experience forward, particularly with anb playing so much more thru the midfield in 2024

• Like 2

On current form every time he plays his sale value becomes diluted.

Lucky to get a late second rounder, or a swap back for the Weed.

• Thinking 1

Posted (edited)

Sorry, but if you go to your home state, organise for a local reporter to show up and interview you while you play a round of golf, request a trade, then play with little effort the following season… you’re going to cop criticism.

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 12
  • Clap 3

2 hours ago, jumbo returns said:

No it's not - it isn't personal

It's about his footy

No one said he was an evil human being 

And....not every workplace suits an employee

Correct. It’s not personal.

Putting aside his ill timed trade request, I put most of his form issues down to injury recovery and match committee.

1: He missed a large chunk of the preseason and was managed heavily. 

2: The match committee persist with playing him forward.

His perceived effort or interest level I can’t comment on but the above 2 factors are enough to slow down most AFL players. 

If he still wants to leave, and I believe this to be the case, then so be it. We will have to be ready for an underwhelming offer from Adelaide. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, JJJ said:

Correct. It’s not personal.

Putting aside his ill timed trade request, I put most of his form issues down to injury recovery and match committee.

1: He missed a large chunk of the preseason and was managed heavily. 

2: The match committee persist with playing him forward.

His perceived effort or interest level I can’t comment on but the above 2 factors are enough to slow down most AFL players. 

If he still wants to leave, and I believe this to be the case, then so be it. We will have to be ready for an underwhelming offer from Adelaide. 

If Petty goes to defence could someone tell me who he could be a match for in Collingwood forward line

3 hours ago, rpfc said:

We are the ones playing him off no pre-season. We are the ones playing him forward as opposed to back. We are the ones chasing another tall back supposedly from St Kilda.

At some point this may be a sunk cost we may have to move on from but his form is entirely predictable and are options are obviously barren. 

We persist, not because we want to but because it is our only option.

stop making sense

But just because we might persist there's no gaurantee the situation will improve. It only highlights theres little alternative.  And that will fall into the hands of the oppositions strategists like a gift from above.

Hopefully he improves.

• Clap 1

I suspect he is well and truly gone. We will get far less for him next year and it will bite us in the arz.

I was at a function in 2022 with several Dees in attendance. Trac was asked who is ready to explode in the scene and Petty was his response.

He's basically been injured ever since. If he ever gets his body right he will be a very good player but it's a big if when perennially injured.

Even if we had traded Harry last year and picked up two first round picks, we probably would have bundled them up with our other picks and taken Tholstrup at 10 instead of 13. This club can no longer be trusted with draft picks, so player swaps are probably safer. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2

Posted (edited)

The thing about Petty is that his best is very very good.

He was amazing in our win over Geelong.

He was a terrific defender in our premiership year.

But I think he needs to be the third tall in either the forward line or backline.

It can’t be just he and Turner, he has to have Van Rooyen or Brownplaying to be effective up forward ir May and Lever down back to give him freedom to fly side on and take his marks

Edited by DeeZee
  • Like 1
  • Clap 1