2023 GRAND FINAL

Demonland

2 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Agreed. But moot, really. If we knocked people out it wouldn’t result in a win. A multi-week suspension would likely ensue. 

Exactly. Collingwood get special treatment that we would never get.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

13 minutes ago, Watson11 said:

Unpopular but well said. Macrae has shown he is an elite coach already and a cut above.  Very astute strategically and has them playing with freedom.  On abc radio today there was a segment on their psychologist Jacqui Louder and the impact she has had.  And she sits on the bench all game every game to talk to the players.  It’s the 1%ers like this that no-one sees, but maybe that’s why they perform when the game is on the line.

Yes in other threads where we discuss which big power forward we need to bring in next year to take the next step I have been meaning to post that maybe a good sports psychologist might be our best recruit next season. I have noticed the demeanour of teams in the tunnel at the beginning of big finals and it’s interesting the difference. The Pies are all smiling, enjoying the moment, so too were Carlton. The mindset is to stay loose, go out & enjoy it, I believe Dimma started this at Richmond in their Premiership run. Let’s face it we were opposite, all grim determination, played tight and we choked in 2 close fought finals; under pressure team rules and cohesion broke down as senior players at crucial times, ignored better options, trying to win the game themselves. The selfless team oriented mindset of 2021 has dissolved over time. We need to reset the team’s attitude as well as find that big forward who I think is already on our list, but just got injured late in the season. 

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

4 hours ago, IRW said:

That's really embarrassing nonsense 

You've done a survey?

People " say " they hate the Pies because it's a meaningless cheap cliche.

What they actually hate is the manufactured noise the AFL and press generate.

And fair enough too..we are all dumber for buying in 

I reserve the right to hate that football club as much as I like without judgement and without lectures.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1
  • Facepalm 1

Just returned from the Swan Street party/puke zone after picking up my daughter, who couldn’t persuade her friends to go elsewhere for the night. It was a descent into Hell. A morass of morons chanting and droning the same old monotonies.

It’s where this horrible month has been inevitably heading, once that thug opted to ‘flinch’ and put his shoulder into Gus’s face. As much as it hurts to say, I thought Collingwood were the better team today, but the AFL gifted them their opportunity, not suspending Maynard, a 6 day break for the Giants (Carlton gets an 8 day break of course), then the umpires stopped doing their job in the last quarter and ignore 5-6 blatant Giant frees.

And now the calendar is scarred.

Edited by napster
  • Like 7

I guess it’s more frustrating when its a team u hate ..  they got the rub of the green in so many ways, frees in particular around the neck, what’s lost is their great draw , no travel for the last 5 games of the season vs the other 7 teams travelled twice.. all 1% . Not denying they played well but is ist a level playing field????

• Like 3

6 hours ago, dees189227 said:

So I'm sitting in a relatives apartment in South Yarra and suddenly from outside I hear the stupid chant. Could not believe it 

In the heartland no less! How DARE they… 😤

• Haha 1

I live in California, so glad I am not in Melbourne right now.

The AFL engineered the umpiring and tribunal and got what they wanted. That was not a kick to advantage. At all. 

The harder reality is we were good enough to win it this year. And we failed. 

Edited by Hatchman
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, dees189227 said:

I had all these comebacks to these pies fans on twitter but obviously now I'm staying off it for at least a week 

They are very pathetic, so were the Carlton supporters last week. Honestly, like who goes back to posts from 2 months ago instead of enjoying your team's victory?

7 hours ago, Great Northern Summer said:

Spot on - mostly.

I wouldn't say it's surprising they won - they are one team that finds a way to win games, regardless of the situation of the game and the opposition.

They beat us despite 32 inside 50s less - that never happens. Why? They kept their structure and discipline, despite the fact they were being outplayed. That enabled them to hang on - and our terrible goal kicking.

Likewise against GWS and the Lions. GWS really should have beaten them. They just kept their structure and it got them through. Same today.

Because their structure is so discipline and good, teams are not willing to take the game on and take risks against them. The Lions are generally a free-flowing team. They move the ball rapidly. Today, they couldn't get any of this going because they were too risk adverse. Teams get too risk adverse playing Collingwood, and it plays into Collingwood's hands.

The one positive about Collingwood winning this year - yes, there really isn't a position, but there is one thing - Collingwood will officially be the hunted like any previous premier and coaches will implement full game plans to beat their system. It will involve taking the game on.

The Lions played equally well. The difference in the end was only 4 points!

• Like 2

Collingwood’s 3 step plan for premiership glory has been leaked. I believe this is a method which the dees are in prime position to copy next season so that we can also taste glory on the last weekend of September again next season.

Step 1: get rid Grundy

Step 2: ???

Step 3: flag

Edited by DutchDemons
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, layzie said:

I reserve the right to hate that football club as much as I like without judgement and without lectures.

" hate " used thus rather contributes to hating becoming acceptable. 

Try to find  more mature denigrating terminology. 

Just as we are made  dumber for  buying into to press and AFL banality and divisive marketing of sport we are all a little happier if we remember that it's just sporting entertainment and not the meaning of things.

Probability pity is a better word for what passes for the emotions that linger after a game is completed.

The sun comes up tomorrow and we don't have hangovers .

"I'm so happy I spent the night vomiting in the dunny, the old lady made me sleep in the spare room and refused to  make me my breakfast"

10 hours ago, Half forward flank said:

And McCrae. He has a hand in it too. Sent Maynard out as his assassin to stamp authority on the finals series. Truth be told Melbourne need a hard man but i dont know if i want to be part of it.

You have the tapes from the pre match I assume,because that's libel

1 hour ago, Hatchman said:

I live in California, so glad I am not in Melbourne right now.

The AFL engineered the umpiring and tribunal and got what they wanted. That was not a kick to advantage. At all. 

The harder reality is we were good enough to win it this year. And we failed. 

Yes they failed...again 

35 minutes ago, joeboy said:

I feel dirty but I’ll learn to cope… I’ll be selling a heap of Collingwood memorabilia right through until preseason next year.

Does the AFL get a cut of all sales? Pies flag would have to the biggest earner. Explains a lot.

55 minutes ago, joeboy said:

I feel dirty but I’ll learn to cope… I’ll be selling a heap of Collingwood memorabilia right through until preseason next year.

Man gotta make a living somehow. May as well capitalise on the pies as anyone else.

• Like 1