PREGAME: SF vs Carlton

Demonland

2 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I know you mentioned he apparently played a good game up forward yesterday but can you delve a bit more in depth?

Like did he kick goals? Take a couple of contested marks etc?

His marking was the standout by when back and forward .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Abyssal said:

Why do YOU think “he chose to go” ?

Like other players from all clubs, he was peed off because he didn't get enuff games last year, quite sure if he stuck around he most likely would have been a regular this year. I was just reminding Kent that we didn't give him away. 

Hope that satisifies YOU

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bandicoot said:

Btw, melb vs Carlton will be played on Saturday night. Collingwood earn the right to play their prelim on Friday night giving them an extra day rest. their opponent won’t be coming off a 6 day break therefore they have to play on Friday a week out from prelim. 

Is that confirmed? I assumed we would be Friday

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

30 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

Come on Old Dee, we’re playing excellent football everywhere except the front third. A couple of tweaks and we’ll win the flag. 

I admire your positivity the only way we win is if Tmac and the bun kick 2 goals each and I would suggest the chance of that are extremely remote. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Its friday, its already on sportsbet.

Also means the prelim will be friday as itll be interstate. 

The reason is that you cant give port v saints/gws (whichll be saturday) a 6 day break into a prelim - so the pies will play their prelim on the Saturday. 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, bandicoot said:

Btw, melb vs Carlton will be played on Saturday night. Collingwood earn the right to play their prelim on Friday night giving them an extra day rest. their opponent won’t be coming off a 6 day break therefore they have to play on Friday a week out from prelim. 

another 730 pm game very disappointed. I will watch from my couch this week. Sitting amongst CW morons on Thursday did me for the season

I have never experienced such a bunch of loudmouthed idiots continuously for 3 hours

• Like 3
  • Clap 2
  • Vomit 1

2 minutes ago, old dee said:

I admire your positivity the only way we win is if Tmac and the bun kick 2 goals each and I would suggest the chance of that are extremely remote. 

We had 23 shots to 15 on Thursday against the flag favourite. We just need average efficiency in front of goal to fix our game. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Thanks for tge optimism.  I think this will be another close one. 

I'm not sure we are playing excellent footy elsewhere. 

Our slow starts with our mids v Pies  was very poor.

We have been caught napping in the first quarter for quite a few games now.

Credit to the fightbacks but what is going on with them. Last game was another bridge too far unfortunately although with Gus we probably would have won.

We will probably roll the Blues but Fritta will have to turn it on. And Kozzie.

I agree with your Gus comment he is IMO underestimate by many. Sadly even if we win I doubt he will play again this year.  He should not risk his brain again this season if we lose because of it so be it. 

• Like 6

Unfortunately I just can't see us kicking a winning score.

Weitering, Kemp and Matchbank are 3 solid defenders who have held their defence up really well.

Fritsch was the only one who looked dangerous for us at times whilst McDonald is simply cooked. 

Unfortunately the loss of Melksham and Petty is taking a toll and it's caught up to us.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

There is a lot to think about, and a lot of decisions to make for our game versus the Blues.

Collingwood were average after quarter time, and we played well except for F50 entries/scoring and allowing the Pies too much run past our last backman. We are well and truly alive and I hope the confidence within the squad remains high. Our best is b****y good footy and we are mentally tough, being able to win a game from in front, behind or evens.

Carlton lose McKay and Martin  -  Dees lose Brayshaw and JVR. No advantage to either, but Gus's role in our team is not easily covered by another player.

Carlton will match us at the contest. Weitering is a star so play TMac on him because neither of them are quick. The rest of the Blues backline are B graders or less so their is a strong advantage here for us. Silvagni can take a mark but May, Lever and co should counter him. May to Curnow who was soundly beaten by McCartin last night.  Acres is dangerous, in great form, and a key to their transition, but Langdon and Hunter are too small to counter his body strength. Maybe get Jordon to run with him.

Most of us bemoan our F50 entry plan of long bomb to the pocket. I do believe it is PART of our system, but it is not helped by our forwards who rarely lead, which I reckon is our biggest error. Fritsch tries to, and JVR occasionally, but for the most part the player with ball in hand has no option but to  long bomb because of so little movement. Have a look at the Lions forwards movement - wow. 

Kozzie into the middle, Petracca back to 70% forward.

Jordon in for Brayshaw

Schache in for JVR (and also F50 ruck work). I am NOT a fan of Schache, but the cupboard is bare. He is a very good shot at goal (he just rarely wins the ball at AFL level). I would actually prefer Grundy but cannot see that happening.

Woewodin in for Laurie

My number one emphasis versus the Blues is movement in our forward line. Chandler, ANB, Petracca, Kozzie when he is there: all need to be active, constant movement, don't allow too many long bombs to stationary players. Weitering and Marchbank will absorb it fairly quickly.

My brother-in-law is a mad Blues man, and he sent a photo of him watching the game in his jumper. I replied saying "it must smell like mothballs it has been so long since it has seen a final". He got annoyed and told me off for being a joy killer. Long may it continue. I grew up in central Vic in the Carlton recruiting zone when they were constantly winning flags while we were getting spoons. My loathing is deep and atrociously irrational. I cannot fathom losing to them in a final. 

Go Dees.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Abyssal said:

Why do YOU think “he chose to go” ?

Where is the mystery?

He chose to leave to be guaranteed starter in the ones.

We couldn't offer thst guarantee.

He was behind nibbler at the dees. Was never going to take his spot.

So accepted the giants offer to play that exact same role from the get go at the giants.

I wish he had stayed, as did the club, but good on him. Has been fantastic.

And had been in the ones all season.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

25 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

We had 23 shots to 15 on Thursday against the flag favourite. We just need average efficiency in front of goal to fix our game. 

It is asking a lot expecting a fix a problem that has been there for most of the year. Against the moron lot we were trying to kick goals from a long way out and  in most cases from difficult angles vs the morons who got the majority of their goals from directly in front from 40 metres or less. We also wait to deliver the ball into the forward line until it is crowded. We seem to have a lot of players who stop and look at the options for too long by the time they decide the forward line is crowed. May is a great player but the right side of his vision doesn’t seem to exist.  he marked the ball and we had three players lose on his right what does he do he kicks down the left to a crowd, pies clear the ball and it results in a goal. 

Edited by old dee
  • Sad 1

I think we need to play a bit of ‘AngeBall’ - what is the point of restricting sides to 60 points when we can’t get out of second gear to score enough to get 61 points. 

Stop May from marking and going back and ‘having a look’ because he is ‘such a good kick’, get Lever to have the same rule as Frawley at Hawthorn - ‘if you kick it, you’re off’, and look for McVee and Rivers with hand offs at all times.

Blind turns allowed if there is no runner and kick to grass; Chandler, Pickett, Smith, and ANB will get there first. 

I know Goodwin and Chaplin want to minimise turnovers - prefer not to lose, than try to win - but can we continue this year of experimenting and adapting and try to win?

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

6 minutes ago, binman said:

Where is the mystery?

He chose to leave to be guaranteed starter in the ones.

We couldn't offer thst guarantee.

He was behind nibbler at the dees. Was never going to take his spot.

So accepted the giants offer to play that exact same role from the get go at the giants.

I wish he had stayed, as did the club, but good on him. Has been fantastic.

And had been in the ones all season.

He wasn't there to take Nibblerd spot bin.

Right now he'd be competing with Chandler and Spargo. On form alone this year he's ahead of both.

He's the number 1 rated small forward in the competition for defensive tackling and pressure. Something we're actually lacking right now.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Maldonboy38 said:

There is a lot to think about, and a lot of decisions to make for our game versus the Blues.

Collingwood were average after quarter time, and we played well except for F50 entries/scoring and allowing the Pies too much run past our last backman. We are well and truly alive and I hope the confidence within the squad remains high. Our best is b****y good footy and we are mentally tough, being able to win a game from in front, behind or evens.

Carlton lose McKay and Martin  -  Dees lose Brayshaw and JVR. No advantage to either, but Gus's role in our team is not easily covered by another player.

Carlton will match us at the contest. Weitering is a star so play TMac on him because neither of them are quick. The rest of the Blues backline are B graders or less so their is a strong advantage here for us. Silvagni can take a mark but May, Lever and co should counter him. May to Curnow who was soundly beaten by McCartin last night.  Acres is dangerous, in great form, and a key to their transition, but Langdon and Hunter are too small to counter his body strength. Maybe get Jordon to run with him.

Most of us bemoan our F50 entry plan of long bomb to the pocket. I do believe it is PART of our system, but it is not helped by our forwards who rarely lead, which I reckon is our biggest error. Fritsch tries to, and JVR occasionally, but for the most part the player with ball in hand has no option but to  long bomb because of so little movement. Have a look at the Lions forwards movement - wow. 

Kozzie into the middle, Petracca back to 70% forward.

Jordon in for Brayshaw

Schache in for JVR (and also F50 ruck work). I am NOT a fan of Schache, but the cupboard is bare. He is a very good shot at goal (he just rarely wins the ball at AFL level). I would actually prefer Grundy but cannot see that happening.

Woewodin in for Laurie

My number one emphasis versus the Blues is movement in our forward line. Chandler, ANB, Petracca, Kozzie when he is there: all need to be active, constant movement, don't allow too many long bombs to stationary players. Weitering and Marchbank will absorb it fairly quickly.

My brother-in-law is a mad Blues man, and he sent a photo of him watching the game in his jumper. I replied saying "it must smell like mothballs it has been so long since it has seen a final". He got annoyed and told me off for being a joy killer. Long may it continue. I grew up in central Vic in the Carlton recruiting zone when they were constantly winning flags while we were getting spoons. My loathing is deep and atrociously irrational. I cannot fathom losing to them in a final. 

Go Dees.

You need to get used to the idea MB. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

We didn’t win a premiership for 50 years and now you want to sack coaches because he may not win it this year.   Of course I would love another flag but you are not sacking a coach if they don’t.  Let me know when you come back to reality

Never I used the word sack. I just said he would be under pressure.

He's got a generational list so the expectations are high.

The fact that we keep losing the same way since last year doesn't bode well for his coaching.

Don't get me started on our lack of intensity in the first quarter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, rpfc said:

I think we need to play a bit of ‘AngeBall’ - what is the point of restricting sides to 60 points when we can’t get out of second gear to score enough to get 61 points. 

Stop May from marking and going back and ‘having a look’ because he is ‘such a good kick’, get Lever to have the same rule as Frawley at Hawthorn - ‘if you kick it, you’re off’, and look for McVee and Rivers with hand offs at all times.

Blind turns allowed if there is no runner and kick to grass; Chandler, Pickett, Smith, and ANB will get there first. 

I know Goodwin and Chaplin want to minimise turnovers - prefer not to lose, than try to win - but can we continue this year of experimenting and adapting and try to win?

I could not agree more this left side [censored] of May annoys me more than anything else we do it is so predictable. The opposing teams see May has the ball they all move to the left. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, —coach— said:

He’s technically right you know, final finish position is determined by finals not end of home and away. Loosing teams in the preliminary final finish 3rd and 4th. Teams in the GF finish 1st and 2nd.

Finishing top 4 has no value if we keep going out in straight sets. I'd rather be Melbourne in 2018, finish 5th but play a PF.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2023 at 11:53 PM, Deespicable said:

The whole week will now be spent talking about our dysfunctional forward line and it's up to the boss to figure out how to reconfigure. and with van Rooyen a monte to be out, we have to do so.

But to me, Grundy has to play - yes we all know he's not a forward but he allows us to use Gawny up there for a little bit and he is a big body to try and spoil. With Brown unfit, he's just got to play. He's also a tackler and we will need that with Brayshaw out.

The other change is that we have to go back to playing Trac up there for more minutes - yes I know he is a clearance beast, but we have cover in that department with Sparrow and Viney and Rivers if we want, but we don't have an option now - we need someone to kick goals and Trac and Fritter and Kozzy are our three most likely.

To me our seven forwards are: Fritsch, Kozzy, Trac, Grundy, ANB and then a decision on whether we play Spargo or go radical with the pace of Moniz-Wakefield instead of Chandler. And as much as people will hate it - Harmes has to play as well - unfortunately at finals time you need a mix of grunt and Chandler is classy, but just not physical enough for night games. Harmes is. The sub can be T-Mac - yes he's too slow, but at least with the pace off the game, he may be able to make an impact after half time and he at least can also play defence if we get an injury.

I also left out Smith, but we just have to add him to our defence - we need his pace to help counter the over the back play that Papley (if Swans win) or Motlop (if Blues win) that the Pies exploited and the good thing is we can still send him forward if things aren't working - just as he should have been sent back in the first term against the Pies. You are allowed to swap players mid-game Goody! And by sending Rivers into the midfield rotation, we make room for Smith who can play on bigs or smalls.

The only other player in doubt is Salem - he really has just not been able to get back to his 2021 form, but it's now probably too late to make the hard call on him. 

Out: Brayshaw, Van Rooyen (susp), Chandler, T-Mac, Lawrie (sub)

In: Jordon, Grundy, Spargo, Harmes

Sub: T-Mac

B: McVee May Smith

HB: Bowey Lever Hibberd

C: Langon Sparrow Hunter

HF: ANB Grundy Harmes

F: Kozzie Fritsch Petracca

Ru: Gawn Oliver Viney

Int: Spargo (fwd), Rivers (mid), Jordon (mid) Salem (def)

Sub: T-Mac

Tmac out for me.  Sub is the last position he could play. Would offer very little in the final heat of the game.

• Like 1

With McKay out, would it be worth rolling the dice by bringing in Tomlinson and throwing May forward? Would certainly provide a better forward contest than Schache or Grundy.

We're running out of options.

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1

54 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

We finished 4th this year and lost to the top side but you are telling me we were gifted a run into the prelim? 

I meant in the form of 4 straight MCG games against teams we're favourites against.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1