• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 18 vs Brisbane

Demonland

3 minutes ago, loges said:

Macca can you tell us why the push in the back to JVR wasn't paid. It's the inconsistency that gets to people.

Just take the good with the bad ... if you want the game umpired perfectly the sport needs to be changed

14 a side, rules against gang tackling, defined rules, greater education, full time umps, etc etc

But the above is never going to happen nor do I want it to happen.  I just deal with it all my way

I'm not the problem here even though I have a completely different point of view

I've heard the other side my entire life and have to put up with it

And we get our fair share of lucky frees ... 25 - 10 was the free kick count in the Alice ... but we still lost

19-13 in the '21 GF?  Were the dogs cheated against? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kev martin said:

What I would like to see us develop, is the ability to clear the ball out of the backline. The Saints held it in and Brissy did it for those two quarters that we lost. They forced multiple entries on us, as we struggled to get the ball past the centre. We fell off their players and our zone got picked because we didn't have time to set it. We need to either find a boundary, a releasing mark, a corridor or maintain possession, when exiting.

Can't let the oppo put that much pressure on our backs.

His name is Clayton Oliver. Little Petracca time in there either and that'll happen.

But we really missed Clarry in this game.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, A F said:

His name is Clayton Oliver. Little Petracca time in there either and that'll happen.

But we really missed Clarry in this game.

Yes we do miss Oliver AF but in his absence, our midfield has been revamped a bit especially with Petracca pushing forward

So it's allowed us to move the chess pieces around like say for instance ... an attacking midfielder like Brayshaw is allowed to play his natural game on the ball

And we get Kozzie into the game with some midfield minutes

Viney steps up as the main man

Gawn goes back in as the main ruckman because our midfielders understand his game?

So when Clarrie comes back what then? A good problem to have in terms of some players moved elsewhere out of necessity

• Thinking 1

7 minutes ago, Macca said:

Yes we do miss Oliver AF but in his absence, our midfield has been revamped a bit especially with Petracca pushing forward

So it's allowed us to move the chess pieces around like say for instance ... an attacking midfielder like Brayshaw is allowed to play his natural game on the ball

And we get Kozzie into the game with some midfield minutes

Viney steps up as the main man

Gawn goes back in as the main ruckman because our midfielders understand his game?

So when Clarrie comes back what then? A good problem to have in terms of some players moved elsewhere out of necessity

Clarry arrests that momentum in the 2nd and 3rd. There's no way you keep him quiet for that long.

• Like 4
  • Thinking 1

Just now, A F said:

Clarry arrests that momentum in the 2nd and 3rd. There's no way you keep him quiet for that long.

I agree but my point is that Clarrie not playing has allowed us to move the chess pieces around

I'm not for one minute rejoicing in the fact that Oliver is out.  Just noting that we've had to adjust and get on with it

In real terms we have adjusted in a positive way and kudos to the MC for finding a way to cover his absence

Of course when Clarrie returns, we're a better team

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Demonstone said:

Paging @Clintosaurus!  :D

Clint is a good guy D/stone.  He just doesn't like umpires haha

And that's the point isn't it? ... we are allowed to have different views and there's nothing wrong with trying to disprove a different view

Siding with the umps on this site (or any fan site) is just not the done thing.  But why can't it be a thing? 

I've long felt that the reason we were such a poor side for so long had nothing to do with umpiring decisions ... talent & good coaching wins games of football

350-400+ possessions and you lose?  You've had enough of the ball to win when you get it that many times

• Clap 1

10 hours ago, Macca said:

We do it too when we can get away with it.  Harmes & Viney have been known to scrag and harass when in tagging roles

Who was that Demon player who Brereton took to task because of the treatment that Platten was getting? Dean Chiron?  We're no angels

Was Brayshaw blocking Neale's run on Friday night?  Scragging?  Good luck to Angus if he got away with it

And May did not push Daniher in the side and even if he did (and he didn't) that's transgressing the rules anyway

You can't just shove another player out of the way especially when the ball isn't within 5 metres

• "You can't just shove another player out of the way especially when the ball isn't within 5 metres"

A forward seems to be able to do it to backman often because the backman can't afford to 'fly' out of the contest like a forward does to milk a free.   Sadly the more famous the forward, the more likely they are to get away with it.

Your argument re scragging seems to be "Hang the rules,everyone does it, even us, so don't complain" .  Imagine appying that line of argument to all sort of infringements.  How about enforcing the rules so players are discouraged from doing it instead. Or change the rules. One or the other.

• Vomit 1

29 minutes ago, sue said:
  • "You can't just shove another player out of the way especially when the ball isn't within 5 metres"

A forward seems to be able to do it to backman often because the backman can't afford to 'fly' out of the contest like a forward does to milk a free.   Sadly the more famous the forward, the more likely they are to get away with it.

Your argument re scragging seems to be "Hang the rules,everyone does it, even us, so don't complain" .  Imagine appying that line of argument to all sort of infringements.  How about enforcing the rules so players are discouraged from doing it instead. Or change the rules. One or the other.

So there you go putting words in my mouth again

I never said anything of the sort

Give it up, you might have most of this site on your side but your logic skills are negligible

You'll go to your grave bitter and twisted about the umpiring of our great sport.  In a way, I feel sorry for you but it's your own fault

Brainwashed from a young age with a chip on your shoulder (about umpires) the size of Mars

Have you ever played any competitive sport and if so, did you spend your whole time arguing with officials?

Try umpiring the sport yourself and put your money where your mouth is

It's people like you who drive intelligent people away from this site with your incessant whinging about umpiring decisions

By the way, there's at least 30 prominent posters on this site who have never whinged about umpiring decisions

But they are quiet about it as they do not want to engage with people like you

Wake up to yourself or better still, pipe down and behave yourself

Edited by Macca

20 hours ago, Pates said:

I usually don't mind Underwood as a host of a show and chat guest, but that is the dumbest comment she may have ever made (if she said it). In the rooms May and Melksham were arm in arm and May was getting around him more than any other player.

If she said it she should actually apologise because that's creating a narrative that doesn't exist.

She said it.  Nearly drove off the road when I heard it.  Malthouse did his best to move on form the comment. 

14 hours ago, kev martin said:

Watched the replay. 

We dominated the last quarter, those saying we got lucky or stole it, are wrong I reckon. Four misses early on, continued pushing, played desperate, and had belief. We opened the forward area well, and that gave us the ability to compete and score.

What I would like to see us develop, is the ability to clear the ball out of the backline. The Saints held it in and Brissy did it for those two quarters that we lost. They forced multiple entries on us, as we struggled to get the ball past the centre. We fell off their players and our zone got picked because we didn't have time to set it. We need to either find a boundary, a releasing mark, a corridor or maintain possession, when exiting.

Can't let the oppo put that much pressure on our backs.

The backline needs a breather occasionally. Repeat entries and more time in there is going to wear them down quicker and this will lead to more zone breakdowns. 

Gawn as sole ruck was great in this game and it's been great click bait but we still need a presence other than Max on wing who can save us with a mark every now and then because I'm pretty certain we will require him up forward again eventually. 

• Clap 1

On 7/15/2023 at 9:41 AM, Demon17 said:

Sure is.  A good recent example was (listening to ABC driving home last night) Kelli Underwood bringing it up in the context that she said Steven May was the only player not to run up to Melksham to congratulate him on that final goal.

Pathetic Kelli. Just a talking head .  Malthouse to his credit batted away the insinuation.

Full back is a long way to run when you need to setup for the last 33 seconds! Would have expected a bit better from Kelli. 

A confession. I was at the match … well, until 10 minutes into the final quarter.

My ladyfriend (also a Demon) wanted to leave at 3/4 time. I said let’s wait a bit longer. When Daniher got that pathetic free and goaled, we left.

We waited at a bus stop in Punt Road. There was a group of young girls there too, 2 of whom were Demons supporters. We checked the scores … Demons’ goal … then another, and another. Only 5 points down. Surely not!!! Then Demons ahead by 1 point … FMD!!! From the bus stop we heard the siren. OMG!! What, some talk of a mark on the siren!! No ... game over, Demons won !!!

Unbelievable ….

Edited by Winners at last
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Shocked 1

Ha ha!

You know, if there was any real proof that the umpires cheat, I'd be up for a small fortune right now

Millions of $$$$'s down the gurgler!  The Kew residence would be on the market (I'd have to move to Burwood boarding with dc)

Come on, come at me!  Show me the proof and I'll show you the money Jerry Maguire style

9 minutes ago, layzie said:

The backline needs a breather occasionally. Repeat entries and more time in there is going to wear them down quicker and this will lead to more zone breakdowns. 

Gawn as sole ruck was great in this game and it's been great click bait but we still need a presence other than Max on wing who can save us with a mark every now and then because I'm pretty certain we will require him up forward again eventually. 

The next best forward/Rick for us at present is JVR. The more rucking/general play he gets means the more influence and marking he does means some goals, just as many as he would get if just parked at Ff or in the pocket.

Unleash him like vs Carlton and see him develop like Jacko did and play a part in our forward development and scoring potential, but get him mobile and pro active snd he will succeed and we will also. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Winners at last said:

A confession. I was at the match … well, until 10 minutes into the final quarter.

My ladyfriend (also a Demon) wanted to leave at 3/4 time. I said let’s wait a bit longer. When Daniher got that pathetic free and goaled, we left.

We waited at a bus stop in Punt Road. There was a group of young girls there too, 2 of whom were Demons supporters. We checked the scores … Demons’ goal … then another, and another. Only 5 points down. Surely not!!! Then Demons ahead by 1 point … FMD!!! From the bus stop we heard the siren. OMG!! What, some talk of a mark on the siren!! No ... game over, Demons won !!!

Unbelievable ….

Everyone is human.

I never like to leave early but halfway through I was finding the cold unbearable, probably needed another layer but it was exceeding my disappointment and the last time I caught a cold at the G was last year and not pleasant. Thankfully I stayed but I can't tell if the jelly legs I had at the siren were from all the emotion or just frozen numb legs. 

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, 58er said:

The next best forward/Rick for us at present is JVR. The more rucking/general play he gets means the more influence and marking he does means some goals, just as many as he would get if just parked at Ff or in the pocket.

Unleash him like vs Carlton and see him develop like Jacko did and play a part in our forward development and scoring potential, but get him mobile and pro active snd he will succeed and we will also. 

Was very impressed with his efforts in ruck and would be all for this. Couple of marks from him up the ground would help immensely. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Macca said:

I've done this with mates so I'm going to do it here ... I'll give anyone here $10k if they can ever prove (real proof required) that the umpires have ever cheated against your football club

What about umpire Michael Pell who was sacked by the AFL for cheating in the betting scandal on the 2022 Brownlow? Do I win the $10k on a technicality here? :D https://www.sportingnews.com/au/afl/news/afl-umpire-michael-pell-sacked-following-brownlow-medal-betting-scandal/uwggtdkcal7qn5apjlmylrxz

Edited by Lou C. Fur
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Lou C. Fur said:

What about umpire Michael Pell who was sacked by the AFL for cheating in the betting scandal on the 2022 Brownlow? Do I win the $10k on a technicality here? :D https://www.sportingnews.com/au/afl/news/afl-umpire-michael-pell-sacked-following-brownlow-medal-betting-scandal/uwggtdkcal7qn5apjlmylrxz

Oh that would never happen.

Spoiler - it happens in every single sport where betting is allowed.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Lou C. Fur said:

Ha ha! 

Gotta be in game decisions but you're close And I'm fully aware of that Brownlow scandal ... has there been any other documented incidents? 

Mind you, in the games history, an umpire or 2 has probably been paid off.  I wouldn't rule that out

But day to day, match to match with each group of supporters crying fowl in a similar way as if there's some sort of giant conspiracy?  I don't think so

As previously stated, what must be taken into account is how difficult a sport Aussie rules is to umpire ... daylight to the next hardest sport?  Basketball?  Soccer?

To me it's nothing personal, I just allow umpires to make numerous errors

And if we are the better team and we play well, we'll win

The match against the Crows with that deliberate out of bounds at the end?  We put in a 4 or 5 out of 10 performance as a team that day and that was the main reason we lost

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Macca said:

Ha ha! 

Gotta be in game decisions but you're close And I'm fully aware of that Brownlow scandal ... has there been any other documented incidents? 

Mind you, in the games history, an umpire or 2 has probably been paid off.  I wouldn't rule that out

But day to day, match to match with each group of supporters crying fowl in a similar way as if there's some sort of giant conspiracy?  I don't think so

As previously stated, what must be taken into account is how difficult a sport Aussie rules is to umpire ... daylight to the next hardest sport?  Basketball?  Soccer?

To me it's nothing personal, I just allow umpires to make numerous errors

And if we are the better team and we play well, we'll win

The match against the Crows with that deliberate out of bounds at the end?  We put in a 4 or 5 out of 10 performance as a team that day and that was the main reason we lost

Fair enough - thought it was a bit of a stretch! 🤣 Now, back to the google searching...

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, beelzebub said:

H e didn't quite have Tulip's poise but certainly the dare,  flair and endeavour.  Thought it a brilliant passage.

Certainly inspirational, gave me a few little goose bumps in that game. 

Especially those last couple of minutes.  Crazy football..

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Macca said:

Ha ha!

You know, if there was any real proof that the umpires cheat, I'd be up for a small fortune right now

Millions of $$$$'s down the gurgler!  The Kew residence would be on the market (I'd have to move to Burwood boarding with dc)

Come on, come at me!  Show me the proof and I'll show you the money Jerry Maguire style

I think there was a instance of an umpire leaking Brownlow info Macca. But they're only human and mistakes will happen.

• Like 4

Could not believe what I was hearing when Kingy said "he doubted the Demons could bridge the gap to the other top teams by finals time" Hello... ground control to Major King... did not Melbourne defeat Collingwood, Brisbane, and very nearly Port in this last brace?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1