POSTGAME: Rd 13 vs Collingwood

Demonland

1 hour ago, Gawndy the Great said:

We all know they were sick and really had no excuses not to beat them. They looked tired - could be season / loading / illness.

Should have won by 6+ goals because that’s what it looked like. 

Got the 4 points move on to next game. Get the 4 pts at the Cattery and remove any doubt on our contention, form and serious threat. 

The only thing that annoys me is that we get within 7 pts at PA and we don’t get the credit coming off a ridiculous travel schedule, 6 day breaks and Oliver playing on one leg. 

Agree with you 100% except we got within 4 points of Port in Adelaide. Sorry, I’m a pedant! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The heart beats true said:

With 1:00 remaining in the 2nd quarter Jack Viney kicked a clear point, that was called out on the full and wasn’t reviewed. It was definitely a point, and Ryan in our cheer squad knew it because he went ballistic at the goal umpire.

It was a howler of an error.

They had a mare of a day the umps.

I still can't believe no one has bought up the blatant mid air holding of Fritta's wrist from Moore.

definitely happened in the last quarter.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

1926, 1939, 1955, 1956, 1960, 1964

vs

Also, in our last 15 encounters against the Pies in finals, we've won 14 of those matches.  14-1

So if anyone here has any Magpie 'acquaintances', make sure you let them know about that record

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

35 minutes ago, Macca said:

Also, in our last 15 encounters against the Pies in finals, we've won 14 of those matches.  14-1

So if anyone here has any Magpie 'acquaintances', make sure you let them know about that record

When was the last time we played against Collingwood in a final?

11 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

Love the passion and agree that David King flip flops all the time.

Just on this though, I'd be very cautious of saying there's almost no chance they catch us on percentage.

At Round 9 last year we had a 37.6% buffer between us (159%) and Geelong (121.4%). By season's end they had a 13.7% lead (144.2% to 130.5%). That's a 50%-odd turnaround.

Sydney nearly did the same, despite us having a 33.3% gap on them at Round 9.

This year our run home fixture doesn't appear as tough as our 2022 run home ended up being, but a 15% gap is half what we had last year.

Percentages much harder to budge after round 13 compared to round 9.

The reason is a points differential in a game in later rounds has less impact on % as the previous points for and against is greater.

I'm afraid not a very elegant explanation.

• Like 1

In 2021 it may sound strange,  but I feel our team had a fairy tale run of sorts. It appeared that they were not fazed by not having crowds attending games for a lot of the home and away games that season (due to Covid lockdowns etc). This did not seem to phase them. They were galvanised and on a mission. Got the minor premiership, can’t ask for much more.

Come finals time, particularly those held in Perth, they got the best rent a crowd support you could hope for. A significant majority of the football loving state adopted Melbourne as their team in the finals. The crowds were electric and loud! Make no mistake, that really lifted our boys untold. They certainly got the job done and did it with style. I was so proud.

2022 was such a struggle year on so many levels. Premiership hangover, the draw, being the hunted, injuries etc. In the scheme of things we did well but it wasn’t a great year if that makes sense. In my opinion although our crowd numbers were reasonable, for the most part lacked real passion. Lesser opposition crowds at times were louder than us! That’s how I saw it. 

This year we seem to be disregarded  as serious contenders by media, opposition fans. I get it, we lost a few close games and didn’t have too many big scalps. Such is.

That was until the Collingwood game. The boys lifted and our crowd got behind our lads (eg. cheering matching the boos Grundy received - I was so proud). Not only did our players step up, so did our supporters. I know it was a big crowd but it was different. Although we were outnumbered, our supporters stood up and showed real passion. I have no doubt our players would have noted this also.

I am optimistically thinking this is a turning point of sorts for the rest of the season and hopefully for many years to come.

I like it how the media are critical of us. I actually love feeling the hate other supporters from some clubs seem to have for us. The doggies, Hawthorn, Collingwood and Geelong supporters come to mind.  I hope there are others. Most people only seem to think that Collingwood, Brisbane and Port are the only serious contenders. We are disregarded by a lot of people.  Again, I love this. 

I hope the crowd reaction for the Collingwood game was not a one off. I want our mob to galvanise, I want us to feel as if it is us versus the world.  I want our passionate supporters to turn up and back in our boys for the rest of the season. Goody at his press conference pretty much said words to this effect. It is the least we can do to help our boys.

I am looking forward to see the ‘disregarded’ demons become the team that everyone fears. Same for our supporters. Rather than being ridiculed, I want people to be amazed at our size and more importantly our passion. 

For over half a century we by and large were on struggle street. It is time for us to morph into being a football powerhouse, players, support staff and supporter base. I want us to be feared, hated and respected all at the same time. 

Life is too short. I hope we smash Geelong next game, although a close win will do. GO DEES!

• Like 4
  • Love 3

I think the cheers outweighing the boos has been massively overplayed on here.

For starters, the Collingwood supporters didn't really have it in them to really try and boo Grundy. The Collingwood supporters around us were cheering and clapping him. So it wasn't just Melbourne supporters drowning out the boos, it was many Collingwood supporters themselves. 

Secondly, the idea that we were louder than them is also a fallacy. We were louder than normal, no doubt. Those in gate 3 in particular made great noise. But when say McCreary ran on to that ball out the back and goaled, there wasn't a louder roar for the day. Lipinski's first was pretty loud too.

The reason we sounded equally loud at times was because we dominated them in general play, which influenced the crowd.

I'd give our crowd a 7 or 8, but Geelong and Hawthorn 2018 finals were still louder and we legit outnumbered them at both those games, whereas it was probably 4-1 supporter wise the other day.

• Like 2
  • Angry 1

9 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

1926, 1939, 1955, 1956, 1960, 1964

vs

This seems like a very appropriate time to re-promote Ken Mitchell's book I mentioned last week! More detail about this era than you can poke a stick at!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, A F said:

For starters, the Collingwood supporters didn't really have it in them to really try and boo Grundy. The Collingwood supporters around us were cheering and clapping him. So it wasn't just Melbourne supporters drowning out the boos, it was many Collingwood supporters themselves. 

Secondly, the idea that we were louder than them is also a fallacy. We were louder than normal, no doubt. Those in gate 3 in particular made great noise. But when say McCreary ran on to that ball out the back and goaled, there wasn't a louder roar for the day. Lipinski's first was pretty loud too.

The reason we sounded equally loud at times was because we dominated them in general play, which influenced the crowd.

I'd give our crowd a 7 or 8, but Geelong and Hawthorn 2018 finals were still louder and we legit outnumbered them at both those games, whereas it was probably 4-1 supporter wise the other day.

As with most anything in life, ppl see the one thing in different ways. You’re the only person I’ve heard who’s said this. Not saying you’re wrong, just that you clearly perceived it in a totally different way to how I did. I know my perception is skewed because of where I sit, but I’ve since watched the replay and I’ve had a record number of postgame texts and calls from supporters of other teams and even friends who don’t follow footy saying that we matched them and at times surpassed them in terms of noise.

As to your point about us matching their noise level at times due to the fact that we “dominated them in general play” is this the first time we’ve ever dominated them in general play? It isn’t. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

As with most anything in life, ppl see the one thing in different ways. You’re the only person I’ve heard who’s said this. Not saying you’re wrong, just that you clearly perceived it in a totally different way to how I did. I know my perception is skewed because of where I sit, but I’ve since watched the replay and I’ve had a record number of postgame texts and calls from supporters of other teams and even friends who don’t follow footy saying that we matched them and at times surpassed them in terms of noise.

As to your point about us matching their noise level at times due to the fact that we “dominated them in general play” is this the first time we’ve ever dominated them in general play? It isn’t. 

My understanding is the broadcaster places microphones strategically, to ensure the loudest noises/cheers/boos etc. Makes sense, right? So that's a bit of a furphy as well. The true test is at the ground itself. It sounds like we heard it differently.

Again, obviously, this is influenced by where you sit to an extent as well, but I've never heard a big game with 80,000+ fans so quiet for large patches of the match. It was eerily quiet at points as if the crowd was holding its collective breath. Influenced in part by the low scoring of course.

It was quite an unusual game in that respect, but I can't recall the last time we dominated Collingwood in general play in Melbourne (we did in that Gabba game in 2020), so to me it was a combination of inevitably that we'd hit the front from the Collingwood supporters and potentially the fact Collingwood had spent a week laying the ground for excuses about COVID, flu and missing players.

Plus, the psychological benefits of already being three games clear at the top, all of these factors, IMV, influenced the noise level of their mob. I’ve never sat around so many Collingwood supporters who were so subdued for pretty much the entirety of a game. Last year they were absolutely insufferable. 

Edited by A F
  • Like 6

Craig McCrae is all class. Compare his reply of "zero" effect of illness on his team with Chris Scott's whiney performance after the 2021 PF.

I grew up to hate Collingwood but there isn't a more likeable pair of leaders than McCrae and Darcy Moore.

Edited by old55
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, A F said:

I think the booing of Grundy was pretty audible right at the start but you may well be right that there could have been sections of Collingwood fans who didn't boo or even gave him some credit for his time, this could have given our drowning out the extra 5% it needed. I have no way of saying this did or didn't happen but it could be a plausible explanation. 

Whether or not it was the loudest we've been for a while I will say that I was incredibly proud of our fans in that moment. As soon as the booing started nearly every Melb fan around me got stuck in with cheering and support, some who never say a word were clapping vigorously. In the past our club would have folded faster than Superman on Laundry day, I'm so happy to see we now have some fight in us. 

Edited by layzie
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, old55 said:

Craig McCrae is all class. Compare his reply of "zero" effect of illness on his team with Chris Scott's whiney performance after the 2021 PF.

Stakes were lower on Monday though and they'd already spent the whole week bleating about COVID and flu, and many of their players being under the weather.

I'm with @binman on the fact they leaked all that. So then he can appear reasonable in his presser, we don't then get the psychological edge and the press continue thinking they were just under the weather.

Edited by A F
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, layzie said:

I think the booing of Grundy was pretty audible right at the start but you may well be right that there could have been sections of Collingwood fans who felt it appropriate not to boo or give him credit, this could have given our drowning out the extra 5% it needed. I have no way of saying this did or didn't happen but it could be a plausible explanation. 

Whether or not it was the loudest we've been for a while I will say that I was incredibly proud of our fans in that moment. As soon as the booing started nearly every Melb fan around me got stuck in with cheering and support, some who never say a word were clapping vigorously. In the past our club would have folded faster than Superman on Laundry day, I'm so happy to see we now have some fight in us. 

Yeah, Collingwood supporters around us were visibly clapping. It was a bit like the LJ moment against Freo, except that Grundy was a salary dump and we wanted to keep LJ.

Edited by A F
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, A F said:

Again, obviously, this is influenced by where you sit to an extent as well, but I've never heard a big game with 80,000+ fans so quiet for large patches of the match. It was eerily quiet at points as if the crowd was holding its collective breath. Influenced in part by the low scoring of course.

I said this to my mate as well. Amazing that there were c90k people and you could hear players shouting instructions at various points

• Like 3