PREGAME: Practice Match vs Richmond

Demonland

This is exactly how I'm seeing Laurie at the moment. Not fit enough to play majority midfield, doesn't have the ability to pressure enough as a small forward. He's neither fish nor fowl as it stands.

I want him to succeed and was excited when we drafted him, the question is will he find a position?

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

Agree that having quality depth allows the team to backfill holes in the side as they open up, we need like for likes where we don’t lose much when players get their opportunities. I am expecting 5-6 players to get their opportunity in 2023 we need to blood players when they are ready to go and not make the mistake of playing sore or injured players like we did last year.!!!

• Like 6

13 hours ago, 58er said:

Hunter Brody and Schache or Dunstan could be 2 of 4 trade players although that is up to opinion with the last two mentioned. So 4 recruits from our trade are what we need to keep evolving and improving. That means promoting on effort and form from below if pressure is to be maintained on all senior players. 

I await the season with great hope and confidence we will do the right thing for all on our list and look forward to the Dees in contention with a fit and talented group to challenge. 

Just for a moment I thought we had another player with the first name Hunter, surname Brody. Then I realised who you meant.

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, layzie said:

This is exactly how I'm seeing Laurie at the moment. Not fit enough to play majority midfield, doesn't have the ability to pressure enough as a small forward. He's neither fish nor fowl as it stands.

I want him to succeed and was excited when we drafted him, the question is will he find a position?

What did Taylor see in him? Any pre-darft highlights?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Just for a moment I thought we had another player with the first name Hunter, surname Brody. Then I realised who you meant.

It does make for a typical current AFL player name doesn't it.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Roger Mellie said:

He does some great things when he's got the pill. He just doesn't impact games a whole lot. There was a game at Casey last year where he picked up 30 touches in the middle. At the time I thought...yes, this is why we recruited him! His ball use was amazing and he seemed way above VFL level. I have only seen glimpses of that since. I dunno, he strikes me as bottom-heavy in physique if that's a thing.

That game was against Geelong at GMHBA in the wet. He looked a class above. Unfortunately he went totally missing in the Grand Final.

I'd love to see him shine at Casey, and push the likes of Spargo, ANB and Harmes for a position in the side, because I think he's a natural goal kicker, which the others aren't.

• Like 2

Trac was just on SEN with Whately.

Sounds like he won’t be one of the players rested for this weekend and is looking forward to the game.

Said he had butterflies last week for the first time in his career with respect to a practice match. I know words are just words but it sounds like they mean business this year and are looking for atonement.

They also reflected on the amount of leads they blew last year and looking at ways on how to halt momentum of the opposition.

A shorter pre season between 2021-2022 was also a negative factor. Fair to say the Dogs didn’t exactly shoot the lights out last year with their shorter break. Trac said he felt mentally refreshed after having the opportunity to head overseas this past summer.

And credit to Whately for asking a Kozzie question that didn't revolve around his contract status.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3

20 hours ago, 58er said:

Why A full season ? 

No other player has to wait that long to be selected. The art of selection and promotion of players is to give them an opportunity to gain form and show consistency and earn promotion if and when the situation demands it. 

I think you misunderstood what I meant, I meant that I'd be giving him a full season in the VFL before stamping his card as being ready for the scrapheap.  More a reference to the comment being this is their final chance, ie if they don't make it now, they'll never make it. I might not have been super clear on that, apologies.

• Like 2

Contrary to popular belief that's about the best team we could select.  JJ a long way down the pecking order it seems.

B: S.May 1 H.Petty 35 T.Rivers 24
HB: C.Spargo 9 J.Lever 8 J.McVee 41
C: L.Hunter 12 C.Oliver 13 E.Langdon 15
HF: K.Chandler 37 B.Brown 50 K.Pickett 36
F: A.Neal-Bullen 30 T.McDonald 25 J.Harmes 4
Foll: M.Gawn - C 11 C.Petracca 5 A.Brayshaw 10
I/C: J.van Rooyen 2 B.Grundy 6 M.Hibberd 14 B.Laurie 16 J.Bowey 17 B.Howes 22 T.Sparrow 32 T.Woewodin 40  

Emerg: J.Schache 19 J.Jordon 23 D.Turner 42 A.Moniz-Wakefield 45  

Notable absentees: Christian Salem, Bayley Fritsch, Jack Viney

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/2/2023 at 12:18 AM, Bobby McKenzie said:

He did pick up quite a few in the GF though. Would have bumped up his average!

They hate everyone else on the team so he had to get a few/

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

What’s the story with Fritsch?

Anyone, anyone, Bueller…..

Thanks.

Channel 9 news reported about 9 days ago that someone trodded on his foot at training and that he was ruled out for the Saints game but the club expected him to play some minutes against Richmond.

Hopefully it’s just precaution, he’ll play some minutes in the VFL next week (if there is a praccy game) and be ok for round 1.

Anyone attend training this week and can advise of his progress?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, sisso said:

good side named, bit of a worry Fritch is still out with a bruised foot? Hopefully not something more serious...

Exactly what I was thinking 

hopefully just taking a conservative approach so he’s raring to go in round 1 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

What’s the story with Fritsch?

Anyone, anyone, Bueller…..

Thanks.

The Club is keeping this under wraps. All that’s left for fans is what’s reported in the media and as the old saying goes, don’t believe everything you read. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

If they don't start with JVR then it's a wasted opportunity, now is the time to do it, full game let him try and work himself into it, don't care about the result myself.

• Like 3

Woewodin   in the interchange group, quite an achievement I would have thought.   Had not thought he would be anything near being picked until very late this year and only for experience.

• Like 5