• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The 2023 AFL Fixture

Whispering_Jack

13 hours ago, adonski said:

That's pretty wild 

Not sure some of this reflective pre Cmas research is bringing any real groundbreaking "pretty wild" events to alter our Cmas menu as a result on the 2023 season.

My comments on your comments are that none of this is "pretty wild" in a 23 round fixture involving 18 Teams.

Lets put it back a trifle to a much more mundane level that won't interfere with our concerns on this fixture !

1.We haven't played Crows YET with a crowd likely but not a often event!

2. Given ours and the Blues win/ loss records since 2011 is this a surprising event playing each other in the major "Prime Time" Friday hi after all this time?

3., 4., 5, 6 are all "first time" events none of any real significance in a major fixture where we are the major player participating now  since  2021.

7. And 8. Hardly newsworthy playing Swans in a 3.20 time slot SINCE 5 years ago and Eagles on Sunday arvo THREE years ago.

9. Bulldogs at MCG in front of a crowd on Sat night at the G since 2014 is not momentous when we have missed only ONE game scheduled due to Covid restrictions.

10. First time doubled up on playing North and Carlton since 2017. Ground breaking hardly! I am sure one of our eagle eye D/Lers could come up with the counter claim we have played so and so 4 times out of 7 years which is more revealing and newsworthy. 

In reality the  D/L ers that have a grip have on first read on our 2023 fixture picked out the following points/facts which concerns us more which I have listed.

A. 25 the times drawn to play vs Cats at the Cattery in 32 years since AFL in 1990!

B.  Similar style of record to A above playing both West Coast and Adelaide in Perth and SA since turn of the century and at MCG about 4 times in same time period!

C. 5th or 6th visit to Blundstone Arena as away team in last say 8 years. Cwood never scheduled in that period nor Bombers also I believe.(As a comment on this I reckon when ( and if ) Tasmania make their Brand New Stadium debut in Round 1 in 2026 or 2027 it's about certain that the Pies and/or  Bombers will both  be the first 2 sides scheduled to get maximum bums on seats at that venue. Not us!! That's what makes me "pretty wild" but I mean angry though.

D. What's even wilder I think that for the 5th year in a row we finish the H and away season to play interstate or at the Cattery IN R 23!

These A to D facts are far more testament to weaknesses in the Fixture of the AFL as I reckon an average researcher could pick out your points for EACH Club in which is a consequence hardly ground breaking or "pretty wild".

Any one up for that task? 

PRIZE  Free ticket to see Tassie Devils play the Pies in Round 1 in 2026 at the Beaut New 23,000 Stadium in Hobart!. 

D/Lers HOP TO IT.  Sorry Kangas no more Tas Govt games handouts. Is Arden St available for blockbusters again any more? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 58er said:

Not sure some of this reflective pre Cmas research is bringing any real groundbreaking "pretty wild" events to alter our Cmas menu as a result on the 2023 season.

My comments on your comments are that none of this is "pretty wild" in a 23 round fixture involving 18 Teams.

Lets put it back a trifle to a much more mundane level that won't interfere with our concerns on this fixture !

1.We haven't played Crows YET with a crowd likely but not a often event!

2. Given ours and the Blues win/ loss records since 2011 is this a surprising event playing each other in the major "Prime Time" Friday hi after all this time?

3., 4., 5, 6 are all "first time" events none of any real significance in a major fixture where we are the major player participating now  since  2021.

7. And 8. Hardly newsworthy playing Swans in a 3.20 time slot SINCE 5 years ago and Eagles on Sunday arvo THREE years ago.

9. Bulldogs at MCG in front of a crowd on Sat night at the G since 2014 is not momentous when we have missed only ONE game scheduled due to Covid restrictions.

10. First time doubled up on playing North and Carlton since 2017. Ground breaking hardly! I am sure one of our eagle eye D/Lers could come up with the counter claim we have played so and so 4 times out of 7 years which is more revealing and newsworthy. 

In reality the  D/L ers that have a grip have on first read on our 2023 fixture picked out the following points/facts which concerns us more which I have listed.

A. 25 the times drawn to play vs Cats at the Cattery in 32 years since AFL in 1990!

B.  Similar style of record to A above playing both West Coast and Adelaide in Perth and SA since turn of the century and at MCG about 4 times in same time period!

C. 5th or 6th visit to Blundstone Arena as away team in last say 8 years. Cwood never scheduled in that period nor Bombers also I believe.(As a comment on this I reckon when ( and if ) Tasmania make their Brand New Stadium debut in Round 1 in 2026 or 2027 it's about certain that the Pies and/or  Bombers will both  be the first 2 sides scheduled to get maximum bums on seats at that venue. Not us!! That's what makes me "pretty wild" but I mean angry though.

D. What's even wilder I think that for the 5th year in a row we finish the H and away season to play interstate or at the Cattery IN R 23!

These A to D facts are far more testament to weaknesses in the Fixture of the AFL as I reckon an average researcher could pick out your points for EACH Club in which is a consequence hardly ground breaking or "pretty wild".

Any one up for that task? 

PRIZE  Free ticket to see Tassie Devils play the Pies in Round 1 in 2026 at the Beaut New 23,000 Stadium in Hobart!. 

D/Lers HOP TO IT.  Sorry Kangas no more Tas Govt games handouts. Is Arden St available for blockbusters again any more? 

I didn't quite catch all that could you please repeat it 

• Haha 1
  • Clap 1

On 12/18/2022 at 7:45 PM, Roger Mellie said:

If we're both top 4 sides in next year's H & A, we should be pulling a 60-75K crowd at the G, assuming no covid hangover. There should be no earthly reason to keep holding it at KP.

I think that's optimistic and still short of the 80-90k they're likely to get against the Pies/Tigers/Blues/Bombers/Hawks should those sides be up and about

On 12/25/2022 at 8:34 AM, adonski said:

I didn't quite catch all that could you please repeat it 

Just reread like you did the Fixture and take it all in!! No comment necessary as you will surely pick something more mundane and irrelevant in your response! 

On 12/22/2022 at 8:30 AM, fr_ap said:

Agree entirely. On balance they were a top 4 side last year - people talk about Collingwood's statistical anomaly - the team on the flipside of that anomaly was Carlton. Lost quite a few very close ones.

They have every piece in place and a coach who has learnt some humility, we know can inspire and has them playing tough footy. They've got offence figured out (bit like us in 18). 

Perhaps a roleplayer or two short, but you could say that about most contenders. 

I declared them 23 victors but we know you need a lot of luck....put it this way - they'd be very short odds to win 1 of the next 3 or 5.

I think they'll win one in 24 or 25, 23 probably a year too early especially with Walsh sidelined at the moment. Bloody annoying, I don't want them sitting at the top of the heap on 17.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am set on going to the game in Alice this year. I've never made the trip before. I imagine the club will have packages at some point, flights and accommodation, but is it cheaper to organise it myself? Any advice would be appreciated 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2023 at 2:40 AM, Demon4Life said:

I am set on going to the game in Alice this year. I've never made the trip before. I imagine the club will have packages at some point, flights and accommodation, but is it cheaper to organise it myself? Any advice would be appreciated 

With the current situation in AS you are courageous!

• Thinking 1

9 hours ago, Rochelle said:

Is there an iCal 2023 link for this years fixture as yet does anyone know? Thanks in advance 🙏

It would be really nice if iCal or Google calendar links were available for AFL fixtures. I think due to all the floating fixture rubbish it makes it difficult to keep updated but I'm sure it can be done, they may exist but I've never seen any.

Edited by layzie

Just had my first good look at this year's fixture. I will be at 7 games, potentially 8 depending on times of the last few rounds that do not have times allocated. The rest will be tv events a few months ago I considered going to AS, not a chance now. 

9 hours ago, old dee said:

With the current situation in AS you are courageous!

I have no idea what you're talking about but I will have to look into it. The trip is actually up in the air atm because the person I was taking to the game might be starting a new course in Melbourne around the same time

17 hours ago, Demon4Life said:

I have no idea what you're talking about but I will have to look into it. The trip is actually up in the air atm because the person I was taking to the game might be starting a new course in Melbourne around the same time

Courageous meaning the current situation in AS with out of control violence. 

• 2 months later...

This might just be click bait, but if true it might affect anyone who’s already booked flights and/or accommodation…

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/doubts-over-afl-match-in-alice-springs-amid-council-dispute-20230421-p5d2ah.html

Edited by WalkingCivilWar
  • Like 1

Our Alice match is 99% confirmed for Sunday 2 July. If that’s the case, we will have three consecutive 10-day breaks…

Rd 12 - Fri 2 June (vs Carlton)

Rd 13 - Mon 12 June (vs Collingwood)

Rd 14 - BYE

Rd 15 - Thur 22 June (vs Geelong)

Rd 16 - Sun 2 July (vs GWS)

• Like 1
  • Love 2

7 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Our Alice match is 99% confirmed for Sunday 2 July. If that’s the case, we will have three consecutive 10-day breaks…

Rd 12 - Fri 2 June (vs Carlton)

Rd 13 - Mon 12 June (vs Collingwood)

Rd 14 - BYE

Rd 15 - Thur 22 June (vs Geelong)

Rd 16 - Sun 2 July (vs GWS)

It’s a given now that it’s a Sunday 3:20 for channel 7 isn’t it. Means back to back 6 day breaks afterwards you’d think so that st kilda is a Saturday night and brisbane is a Friday night.

Also can they release the fixture already. So many good sales on at the moment for Hobart. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FearTheBeard said:

It’s a given now that it’s a Sunday 3:20 for channel 7 isn’t it. Means back to back 6 day breaks afterwards you’d think so that st kilda is a Saturday night and brisbane is a Friday night.

Also can they release the fixture already. So many good sales on at the moment for Hobart. 

Right? If they want to encourage fans to attend interstate matches the floating fixture’s not helping.

Also, we don’t really get a bye per se. Three consecutive 10-day breaks is great; we should be fresh when facing some formidable opposition, but it’s not what it’s supposed to be. We had the same situation last year as well… we played Collingwood on Monday June 13, had a “bye” then played Brisbane at the ‘G on June 23, ie. a 10 day break. Collingwood didn’t play their next match ‘til the Sunday, giving them a 14-day break, which is a proper bye. 

Edited by WalkingCivilWar

2 hours ago, FearTheBeard said:

This pretty much says it all. I can’t see a full fixture being released before the season commences anytime soon. 

9 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

This pretty much says it all. I can’t see a full fixture being released before the season commences anytime soon. 

I am not too fussed with them leaving the last 8 weeks floating, but after 7 weeks we have a pretty good grasp of what is going on. I am ok with 2.5 months of notice, but the fixture release said they would release round 16 "4-6 weeks before the round" which is ridiculous.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FearTheBeard said:

I am not too fussed with them leaving the last 8 weeks floating, but after 7 weeks we have a pretty good grasp of what is going on. I am ok with 2.5 months of notice, but the fixture release said they would release round 16 "4-6 weeks before the round" which is ridiculous.

The issue I have with the fixture being released in fits and spurts is that as soon as another block of games is released, flights and accommodation costs rise, sometimes exponentially.

The MFC boasts the highest rate of cheer squad members travelling interstate, something of which we’re extremely proud. I reckon all clubs would have higher numbers of attendance at interstate matches if the fixture was released all at once. Last year I took a chance and booked for Brisbane in Round 23 before the time/date was released, and was lucky. I’ve done the same for Sydney, Round 24 this year. We all do this because with so many interstate matches the costs are ridiculous. 

• Like 3