Jump to content

Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

    Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

    We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

    However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

    The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

    Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

    We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

    WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

    Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.


Death Riding Fremantle 2023 - Feathered Cap Edition


adonski

Recommended Posts

55 minutes ago, Demonstone said:
4 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Unless Jackson can start taking 1.5 contested clunks a game

He seems to have mastered the half mark.

he takes 3 half marks per game

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Sydee said:

Needs to revisit that third quarter of the GF if you ask me - more about Trac, Clarry and Viney than Luke.

Not saying he isn't a real talent as I believe he is - BUT it was our midfielders that did the damage in the GF.

Agreed + guys like Gus and Gawny, who stood up when it counted in the first half of the third quarter and stopped the dogs ascendancy from becoming an avalanche.

Fritta held his nerve so well under pressure and got us back in the game when we were peering over the precipice.

The difference and mismatch Jackson created threw the dogs midfield off their structures and Jackson's ability to keep moving from the ruck contest and involve himself in those chains was pretty slick, but Clarry, Viney and in particular Trac were absolute beasts in that third quarter. 

That dribble goal of Trac's that set the bang bang bang in motion was amazing and his bursts from the centre square on several occations setup so many of those goals.  There's a very good reason he won the Norm Smith.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ElDiablo14 said:

Can't stop thinking that the best scenario for all parties involved was for Jackson to help the club to trade with WC.

That would've given us a top pick, he would go home, no pressure like in Freo and he could develop his footy in the next 2 or 3 years, knowing WC is not in a rush to win it all.

Not to mention learning ruck under a player that's similar to him in Nick Nat.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It looks like Freo will be out in the market looking for a KPF at the end of the season. Do they even have any assets/capital to trade for a decent full forward??? 🤔🤔

What if they target Naughton ? What would the WB demand?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I know it's not a trading thread, but this would make me AOK with Jackson's departure:

Freo's 2023 1st (maybe pick 8), our 2023 1st (15-18) and our 2024 1st (15-18) to Hawthorn for 2023 pick 1.

Harley Reid would look great in red n blue

Leaves us with two x 2nd rounders this year

Edited by Stiff Arm
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

It looks like Freo will be out in the market looking for a KPF at the end of the season. Do they even have any assets/capital to trade for a decent full forward??? 🤔🤔

What if they target Naughton ? What would the WB demand?

georgiades

he doesn't chase defensively, he doesn't mark on the lead, he takes speccies and kicks the occasional goal

the pear get the death ride in 2024!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

The derby this weekend is gonna be interesting 

Will WCE fans boo Jackson? They boo just about everything else… 

Oh contraire. They will cheer

if he’s near it… probably means West coast get the footy :laugh:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Stiff Arm said:

I know it's not a trading thread, but this would make me AOK with Jackson's departure:

Freo's 2023 1st (maybe pick 8), our 2023 1st (15-18) and our 2024 1st (15-18) to Hawthorn for 2023 pick 1.

Harley Reid would look great in red n blue

Leaves us with two x 2nd rounders this year

From all reports this guy will go at pick 1 and they'd be crazy to do it, so its pretty unlikely. I think clubs like North or West coast might be more ready to bite on deepening their list and speeding up their list rebuild, with three first rounders at the expense of a pick 2-5 - if they don't think there is much of a chasm between 2 and 8.

The only way we do it, is if we would have a gun earmarked in that 2-5 range who we do think is a massive step up from the player at pick 8, and they don't. And you'd back us in there, given we have the runs on the board.

It would be hard for us to part with a future 1st as well unless the kid is a very big step up from 8. Pick 8 + 15-18 + 2nd round pick/s I would hope would be our highest bid. Winning the flag this year, I'd want to protect next years first, given how hard it is to go back to back, and given our list demographic.

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As much as I'm on this ‘death ride’ with the rest of ya’s, it’s sorta morphed into a Jackson bashing session. 
Remember it’s about where Freo finish this season. 
Jackson might be dealing personal guilt and anxiety and when your heads a mess your footy’s generally the same. 
 

Just a reminder. 🔴🔵

  • Like 25
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Stiff Arm said:

I know it's not a trading thread, but this would make me AOK with Jackson's departure:

Freo's 2023 1st (maybe pick 8), our 2023 1st (15-18) and our 2024 1st (15-18) to Hawthorn for 2023 pick 1.

Harley Reid would look great in red n blue

Leaves us with two x 2nd rounders this year

 

While this Reid kid sounds like a gun, it's not the first time a player has been considered a generational talent who will go pick 1 that would be worth selling the house for.  In hindsight, if you have a good system (development, culture etc), it seems like 3 picks in the top 25 would be a more reliable bet - you could end up with the best player in the draft still and you may end up with 2-3 top 10 players in your team.

E.g. here's a list of recent no.1 picks - there's hardly any that would now be considered the best of their draft.

 

2006 Bryce Gibbs Carlton Glenelg SANFL
2007 Matthew Kreuzer Carlton Northern Knights TAC Cup
2008 Jack Watts Melbourne Sandringham Dragons TAC Cup
2009 Tom Scully Melbourne Dandenong Stingrays TAC Cup
2010 David Swallow Gold Coast East Fremantle Football Club WAFL
2011 Jonathon Patton Greater Western Sydney Eastern Ranges TAC Cup
2012 Lachie Whitfield Greater Western Sydney Dandenong Stingrays TAC Cup
2013 Tom Boyd Greater Western Sydney Eastern Ranges TAC Cup
2014 Paddy McCartin St Kilda Geelong Falcons TAC Cup
2015 Jacob Weitering Carlton Dandenong Stingrays TAC Cup
2016 Andrew McGrath Essendon Sandringham Dragons TAC Cup
2017 Cameron Rayner Brisbane Lions Western Jets TAC Cup
2018 Sam Walsh Carlton Geelong Falcons TAC Cup
2019 Matthew Rowell Gold Coast Oakleigh Chargers NAB League
2020 Jamarra Ugle-Hagan Western Bulldogs Oakleigh Chargers NAB League
2021 Jason Horne-Francis North Melbourne South Adelaide SANFL

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, McQueen said:

As much as I'm on this ‘death ride’ with the rest of ya’s, it’s sorta morphed into a Jackson bashing session. 
Remember it’s about where Freo finish this season. 
Jackson might be dealing personal guilt and anxiety and when your heads a mess your footy’s generally the same. 
 

Just a reminder. 🔴🔵

Well said McQueen.

I doubt many here have ever been in a position where astronomical amounts of cash was offered for you to return home and do exactly what you want.

I have nothing against what Jackson decided and won't even boo him when we play them.  He'll still always have a special place in my memory for his efforts in 2021.

I also have no doubts he would have been feeling incredible amounts of anxiety around his team mates last year which would have effected his performance and still would be impacting it now which isn't fair for a kid still finding his feet at this level.  

Do I feel sorry for him however?  Goodness no.  He still made the decision.  This is always the risk players take in signing huge contracts before they're really earnt. 

His manager and Freo are the ones that need a good kick up the backside for filling his head with [censored].

 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites


33 minutes ago, deelusions from afar said:

 

While this Reid kid sounds like a gun, it's not the first time a player has been considered a generational talent who will go pick 1 that would be worth selling the house for.  In hindsight, if you have a good system (development, culture etc), it seems like 3 picks in the top 25 would be a more reliable bet - you could end up with the best player in the draft still and you may end up with 2-3 top 10 players in your team.

E.g. here's a list of recent no.1 picks - there's hardly any that would now be considered the best of their draft.

 

2006 Bryce Gibbs Carlton Glenelg SANFL
2007 Matthew Kreuzer Carlton Northern Knights TAC Cup
2008 Jack Watts Melbourne Sandringham Dragons TAC Cup
2009 Tom Scully Melbourne Dandenong Stingrays TAC Cup
2010 David Swallow Gold Coast East Fremantle Football Club WAFL
2011 Jonathon Patton Greater Western Sydney Eastern Ranges TAC Cup
2012 Lachie Whitfield Greater Western Sydney Dandenong Stingrays TAC Cup
2013 Tom Boyd Greater Western Sydney Eastern Ranges TAC Cup
2014 Paddy McCartin St Kilda Geelong Falcons TAC Cup
2015 Jacob Weitering Carlton Dandenong Stingrays TAC Cup
2016 Andrew McGrath Essendon Sandringham Dragons TAC Cup
2017 Cameron Rayner Brisbane Lions Western Jets TAC Cup
2018 Sam Walsh Carlton Geelong Falcons TAC Cup
2019 Matthew Rowell Gold Coast Oakleigh Chargers NAB League
2020 Jamarra Ugle-Hagan Western Bulldogs Oakleigh Chargers NAB League
2021 Jason Horne-Francis North Melbourne South Adelaide SANFL

 

 

100%.  If Hawthorn end up with pick 1 and another team offer them a pick 2-5, another 6-10 and another 11-18, they would be mad not to take it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Vipercrunch said:

100%.  If Hawthorn end up with pick 1 and another team offer them a pick 2-5, another 6-10 and another 11-18, they would be mad not to take it.

Yes, this magical team with ND3, ND6, and ND12...

Season 2 Episode 22 GIF by The Simpsons

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, rpfc said:

Yes, this magical team with ND3, ND6, and ND12...

Season 2 Episode 22 GIF by The Simpsons

4 Teams already have 2 1st Round Picks.  Is it inconceivable they could trade for players and/or future picks to land a 3rd?

https://www.afl.com.au/news/891585/three-first-rounders-for-one-u18-star-hunt-for-harley-heats-up

Edited by Vipercrunch
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Vipercrunch said:

4 Teams already have 2 1st Round Picks.  Is it inconceivable they could trade for players and/or future picks to land a 3rd?

https://www.afl.com.au/news/891585/three-first-rounders-for-one-u18-star-hunt-for-harley-heats-up

In fairness while Cal Twomey and Riley Beveridge are more reliable AFL "journalists" than many they are still AFL journalists which are trying to make stories out of nothing because the extra clicks is what pays the bills.  It's pure speculation when the guy still has a year to play and anything could happen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Question is would we / should we put on the table Our two 1st 2023 rounders plus our F1 for pick 1 to take Reid? 

I’m  not sure what type of player he is but is he perhaps the star we’ll need for life after Trac and Oliver? Or should we chase a KPD for life after May? 

Hard choices. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    GAMEDAY: Practice Match vs Carlton

    It's Game Day and the Demons are headed for a date with the Blues at Ikon Park for their final practice match before the ball is kicked in anger to open the season in just over a week's time. Date: Wednesday 28th February 2024 Location: Ikon Park Gates Open: 5:30pm Match commences: 6:40pm Watch: Foxtel & Kayo VFL practice match: Please note, the VFL practice match (10:30am) is no longer open to public. Entry: Your entry gate will be detailed on your ticket (4, 5 or 6)

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons

    TRAINING: Tuesday 27th February 2024

    I headed down to Gosch’s Paddock this morning for the Captain’s Run in the lead up to tomorrow night’s practice match against the Blues.  The squad that took the field was indicative of the lineup for that match at Ikon Park.  Likely Selections based on the groupings of players at the Captain's Run today at Gosch's Paddock. Main Group: Gawn, Viney, May, JVR, Lever, Petracca, McVee, Windsor, Billings, Langdon, Bowey, Schache, Rivers, ANB, Fritsch, Sparrow, Chandler, Kozzy,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports 4

    SCRUTINY & RESILIENCE by Whispering Jack

    If the week when preseason training melds into scratch matches with other clubs, is the first marker for the beginning of a new season, then this has certainly been a torrid opener for the Melbourne Football Club in its campaign to remain a leading AFL premiership contender in 2024. The Demons were already under enormous scrutiny from the media and football’s fan base (including their own) after consecutive straight-sets finals exits, with Clayton Oliver’s well documented woes, the Joel Smi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 27

    Angus Brayshaw Forced into Retirement

    After 167 games including the drought breaking Premiership Angus Brayshaw has made the heart breaking decision to medically retire from football as a result of a series of serious head knocks over his nearly decade of footy. We wish Gus all the best and he'll always be a hero at Demonland. 😢

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 414

    PODCAST: Match SIM vs Richmond

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Tuesday, 20th February @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we dissect the Scratch Match loss to the Tigers and hopefully provide me with some free MFCSS therapy. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 43

    PREGAME: Practice Match vs Carlton

    The Dees will play their final practice match before the start of the 2024 seasons against the Blues at Ikon Park. What are you wanting to see in this final hit out before the season proper? Will Clarry & Salo return to the side? 2024 AAMI Community Series | Carlton v Melbourne Date: Wednesday 28 February Time: 6:40pm (AEDT) Location: IKON Park | Wurundjeri

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 183

    POSTGAME: Match SIM vs Richmond

    The Dees were outclassed and outmuscled in its first practice hit out for the 2024 season against the Tigers going down by 23 points at Casey Fields. 

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 287

    GAMEDAY: Match SIM vs Richmond

    It's Game Day and it's been 156 days since the Demons were bundled out of the finals in straight sets for the 2nd year in a row. Our redemption starts here. Remember it's only a practice match if we lose. Date: Sunday 18th Feb Location: Casey Fields Gate open: 9.30am Match commences: 10am Watch: Foxtel & Kayo Inclusions: Seven-quarter match simulation Signing opportunities Kids' activities Partner giveaways Demons Squad: 1. Steven May 2. Jacob Van Rooyen

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 402

    TRAINING: Saturday 17th February 2024

    On the eve of the Dees first practice match for the 2024 season a couple of Demonland Trackwatchers bring you their observations from today’s Captain’s Run at Gosch’s Paddock.  KEV MARTIN’S CAPTAIN’S RUN OBSERVATIONS Looks a a dress rehearsal Captain's run. 23 out doing drills.  Included is Will Verall, Kynan Brown, Bailey Laurie, Caleb Windsor, Blake Howes, Adam Tomlinson, Kade Chandler, Jack Billings and Josh Schache. Rehab include BBB, Tom Fullarton, TMac, AMW, Woey.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...