Welcome to Demonland Kyah Farris-White

dazzledavey36

2 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I genuinely feel sorry for blokes out there that have been playing footy since day dot, go through the system busting their absolute [censored] [censored] and yet a bloke can get plucked from a basketball court straight onto an AFL list having yet not played footy for a few years.

Doesn't sit right with me.

He’s a category B rookie Dazzle. Someone who goes through the system cant be a category B so he’s not taking anyones spot. So your concerns are pretty baseless I reckon. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

25 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

He’s a category B rookie Dazzle. Someone who goes through the system cant be a category B so he’s not taking anyones spot. So your concerns are pretty baseless I reckon. 

It's not baseless when I don't like the system in general as do most coaches you speak to involved either in the NAB league or state league that simply don't like it either 'Bob'

A system with very little success.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

It's not baseless when I don't like the system in general as do most coaches you speak to involved either in the NAB league or state league that simply don't like it either 'Bob'

A system with very little success.

Perhaps that’s the case Dazzle but it doesn’t cost anyone in the system a spot on a list and offers a chance for clubs to give an opportunity to those outside the system. I don’t see a problem. 

• Like 6

I suppose this means Emille-Brennan won't be picked up by us.

• Thinking 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I genuinely feel sorry for blokes out there that have been playing footy since day dot, go through the system busting their absolute [censored] [censored] and yet a bloke can get plucked from a basketball court straight onto an AFL list having yet not played footy for a few years.

Why? If he has sporting talent and is a category B rookie which is exactly what this pick is about how is it any different? It’s not taking the spot of someone who’s gone thru the draft system 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Yeah we should have never selected Jim Stynes and should never allow talented kids to change their minds on their sporting focus. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bates Mate said:

Have any cat B players actually made it in the AFL. I think Joel Smith may have been one?? Corey Maynard. Any in the AFL of note?

touhy, connor mckenna, mike pyke, hugh greenwood, alex keath off the top of my head

e: forgot blicavs and jiath

Edited by Turner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Tracca said:

Why? If he has sporting talent and is a category B rookie which is exactly what this pick is about how is it any different? It’s not taking the spot of someone who’s gone thru the draft system 

Dazzle doesn’t seem to get this. Most do. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

Dazzle doesn’t seem to get this. Most do. 

No, I do get how the whole system works. Completely different to Category A and senior list.

You sir, are just completely missing the point I'm trying to make.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 2

Kyah mentioned that his family are all one eyed Blues fans, they moved over to Perth in 2019. Hopefully he will be able to swing a few our way.lol.!!

2 hours ago, Tracca said:

Everyone has a sporting talent that comes through the AFL. Thanks for pointing out the absolute obvious....

Put it this way, an athlete doesn't have to play footy for at least 3 years and gets put on a Category B list with a AFL contract because they show talent in some other sport. How easy ey?

I've literally seen this first hand working with  junior development teams that aspiring young footballers grow up their whole life investing time and sacrifice into getting onto a AFL list but then gets told:

1. He's good enough to be on a AFL list but has a few defiencies so unfortunately we wont draft based on that.

2. Has all the footballing talent in the world but you're bit of a ratbag at school so we wont bother.

3. You've got footballing talent but you're either too short or too skinny.

My gripe is the whole Category B list is just a waste of time. In my opinion they should be forced to go down the standard process of going through the state league like the VFL, SANFL etc and earn their spot like everyone else.

This is why I was a big fan of the NGA concept before the Jamarra Ugle Hagan rule came into play.

Clubs put time and resources into kids starting at 10-12 years old and were still made to go through the NAB league to develop their footballing ability. Clubs could get first priority for their work that was put into these kids for all the years they had invested. 

@WERRIDEE also made a good point. Have we potentially just missed out on Finn Emile-Brennan (who imo is a pretty talented young footballer with elite skills and poise) who's come through our NGA system, worked his [censored] off throughout his footballing life to the point now where he's put himself under serious AFL consideration all because we're using that spot on a kid that hasn't played footy since he was 12 and has literally just walked off a basketball court?

Can I also say this isn't a dig at all at young Kyah Farris-White. Fantastic opportunity for him and really hope he grabs his opportunity with both hands and will fully support him.

Just simply not a fan of the system and our record with this on a club level had been poor over the years.

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

Welcome Kyah and good luck.

That said, I don't really like category B rookies for this type of player. Yes, it's great that they are part of an AFL club, have access to top level coaching and support, and are able to learn from the best players in the game. 

The problem is when you get to match day, when they should be competing against kids their own age and size to build skills and confidence. Here our only option is to play in the VFL where they are forced to compete against players who are much bigger, stronger and more experienced.

The VFL coach is there to win games of football, so he's going to play his experienced ruck at every opportunity. That means the Kyahs (and Austin Bradtkes) of the world are playing limited minutes off the bench or are playing out of position. It's terrible for their development.

We need a system where you can farm these players out to a local club to play for the first year (or more), and start playing VFL when they are more developed.

• Like 2
  • Thinking 2

45 minutes ago, poita said:

Welcome Kyah and good luck.

That said, I don't really like category B rookies for this type of player. Yes, it's great that they are part of an AFL club, have access to top level coaching and support, and are able to learn from the best players in the game. 

The problem is when you get to match day, when they should be competing against kids their own age and size to build skills and confidence. Here our only option is to play in the VFL where they are forced to compete against players who are much bigger, stronger and more experienced.

The VFL coach is there to win games of football, so he's going to play his experienced ruck at every opportunity. That means the Kyahs (and Austin Bradtkes) of the world are playing limited minutes off the bench or are playing out of position. It's terrible for their development.

We need a system where you can farm these players out to a local club to play for the first year (or more), and start playing VFL when they are more developed.

We can play the kid at lower levels, as we did with Bradtke when he started.  It is not VFL or nothing.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

The entire talent pathway is getting like this, so many medium sized talented players not even bothering to follow the second tier pathway anymore, many heading straight to Amateurs and Country footy. I reckon there’s another 10-20 Tom Stewart’s out there, who would thrive in full time environment 

• Like 3