Saints Sack Ratten & Appoint Lyon as Coach

whatwhat say what

Lol, there's a podcast on the AFL site asking whether Lyon will bring in his mate SOS to help out. I didn't listen but here it is:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/859325/listen-will-ross-send-out-an-sos-in-saints-overhaul-

That would be hilarious. SOS could bring the Carlton rejects over to the Saints - Dow, Stocker, Setterfield.

Brilliant!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, one_demon said:

Very defensive coach.  Teams aren't playing like that anymore so it will be interesting to see what game plan he come up with

Points for

St Kilda ‘09 2197
St Kilda ‘10 1935
Freo ‘13 2035
Freo ‘14 2029
Freo ‘15 1857

Goodwin ‘21 1888
Goodwin ‘22 1936

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

12 minutes ago, Roger Mellie said:

Lol, there's a podcast on the AFL site asking whether Lyon will bring in his mate SOS to help out. I didn't listen but here it is:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/859325/listen-will-ross-send-out-an-sos-in-saints-overhaul-

That would be hilarious. SOS could bring the Carlton rejects over to the Saints - Dow, Stocker, Setterfield.

Brilliant!

Players in the GWS 2s like this post.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

Points for

St Kilda ‘09 2197 - 4th
St Kilda ‘10 1935 - 8th
Freo ‘13 2035 - 12th
Freo ‘14 2029   - 7th
Freo ‘15 1857   - 11th

Goodwin '18 2299 - 1st

Goodwin ‘21 1888   - 5th
Goodwin ‘22 1936   - 6th

Even at St Kilda's peak with Nick Riewoldt at his best and Justin Koncussedny having his good season, they were never a scoring powerhouse.

Even more telling is that it was above all in the later seasons at Fremantle where Lyon really went all-out on the defensive style, hovering around 1575 points for in a season for three years running and not a lot to show for it.

I think for both coaches there was an element of what players were available. Arguably, Hogan, McDonald, Garlett, Melksham, Nibbler and Hannan were all in their career best form in 2018, so you run with what you've got!

Ross Lyon might be able to make it work up forward with Max King as the superstar and Higgins & Butler sneaking or charging for their share of goals, and maybe his hard-drilled group defence methods will also work in version 2.

But here's the rub -

Hayes, Dal Santo, Montagna, Goddard.

v

Sinclair, Crouch, Steele, Ross.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

LOL. St Kilda is such an embarrassment. 

Presser started out with a justification of the process by President Basset - then on to Ross.

He could barely read his own pre-written notes. Give me Kate any day.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Points for

St Kilda ‘09 2197
St Kilda ‘10 1935
Freo ‘13 2035
Freo ‘14 2029
Freo ‘15 1857

Goodwin ‘21 1888
Goodwin ‘22 1936

That doesn't mean he isn't a defensive coach.  Point for doesn't give you a complete picture.  It's one statistic.

Edited by one_demon
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, dice said:

And Misson as fitness coach 🤣

Misson is both highly experienced and highly credentialed. Got the Saints very close to a flag and is currently at the Roosters in the NRL, who are travelling OK. Has also used his time since leaving the AFL to further his study. Not always a good idea to go back to the same well, but they could do worse.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BDA said:

I hope Lyon gets on max kings nerves and annoys him enough that he seeks a trade. We’ll be waiting with open arms if that happens.

Probably will if he goes back to the old strategy of kick no scores. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, one_demon said:

That doesn't mean he isn't a defensive coach.  Point for doesn't give you a complete picture.  It's one statistic.

He’s undoubtedly a defensive coach. Possibly to a fault, but possibly because it works very well and gets results.

I don’t believe that means he can’t succeed now. St Kilda’s list is a far bigger impediment to success than his game plan. 

• Like 5

The guy to Ross Lyon's left at his presser has a weird accent that I just can't place. Is he from another country or is it just some poncey private school thing?

Edited by Rab D Nesbitt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

9 hours ago, binman said:

I wonder Lyon's KPIs will be.

The saints list is a total shambles. 

Demographics are all over the place in terms of age and games played spread.

Their budding superstar in King seems to suffer from the yips and is still 2-3 years away from his peak.

Ryder is a big loss, tellingly even at his age. 

Marshall is a good player, but platued last season, and will now have to carry ruck duties.

They lack key defenders and have a c grade midfield.

But most of all they simply do t have enough real A graders. 

In that sense they remind me of the dees under Neeld. A bunch of b graders with questiable work ethic and therefore poor fitness.

Not much neeld could have done with that list. And not much Lyon will be able to do.

Given the trade period is finished Lyon is stuck with this list, at least for th3 next season, unlike the hawks who have gone down the total rebuild route and so have a strong hand in this and next year's draft.

Mate, they can't spell down there. So KPIs are meaningless. 

• Haha 1

Brett Ratten Great Footballer very unlucky Coach, I remember well when Ratten was replaced by Malthouse at Carlton, Blues are just coming out of the nosedive that eventuated from that shemozzle. Are the Saints heading down that path of quick Fix, for the poor Sainter followers I really hope not.      ( Wink).!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, binman said:

The saints list is a total shambles. 

Demographics are all over the place in terms of age and games played spread.

Their budding superstar in King seems to suffer from the yips and is still 2-3 years away from his peak.

Ryder is a big loss, tellingly even at his age. 

Marshall is a good player, but platued last season, and will now have to carry ruck duties.

They lack key defenders and have a c grade midfield.

But most of all they simply do t have enough real A graders

What a difference a few years makes.  Not saying it was you Binny, but I recall a number on this forum telling us how much closer to a flag the Saints were to us at the end of season 2020!

• Like 3