Harry Sheezel

Whispering_Jack

Harry Sheezel really can play. I’ve watched him grow as a player and a person since he started 10 years ago in the AJAX Under 8s and he’s going places. Hard to see him landing at the Demons but he would be a great fit by every metric.

Rare air: The top-10 draft hopeful with MASSIVE numbers

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Harry Sheezel really can play. I’ve watched him grow as a player and a person since he started 10 years ago in the AJAX Under 8s and he’s going places. Hard to see him landing at the Demons but he would be a great fit by every metric.

Trac 2.0? If LJ leaves, might not be out of the equation

Edited by Mincho Mania
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Harry Sheezel

Some articles appearing about the classy forward who has enjoyed a NAB Boys League premiership with the Sandringham Dragons and a NAB Australian Championship with Vic Metro over the past fortnight.

The “match-winner” draft prospect that’s “closing the gap” on teammate Ashcroft

• Like 1

On 8/26/2022 at 9:55 PM, Whispering_Jack said:

He is a gun but unless we find a way to trade up to a pick in the top 3, then he will not be available.  I have an inkling once we receive the Jackson picks that we will have a crack at getting WC’s pick 2.  Just an opinion. 

Edited by Demons11
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Demons11 said:

He is a gun but unless we find a way to trade up to a pick in the top 3, then he will not be available.  I have an inkling once we receive the Jackson picks that we will have a crack at getting WC’s pick 2.  Just an opinion. 

Seems to be the year where that actually may be possible.

• Like 1

We would have to trade into the top 5 picks to have any chance of him or Cadman.

Not sure how we will get that done, given Ashcroft will go 1 to Brisbane we will have to essentially get a top 4 pick off North, West Coast, GWS or Essendon.

If we get pick 8 from Freo if they get it from Port, we will then have to talk one of these sides into swapping down. West Coast may be open to it given Jedd Busslinger from WA is expected to go around that pick, but they still need high quality midfielders so may not be willing to.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Action Jackson said:

We would have to trade into the top 5 picks to have any chance of him or Cadman.

Not sure how we will get that done, given Ashcroft will go 1 to Brisbane we will have to essentially get a top 4 pick off North, West Coast, GWS or Essendon.

If we get pick 8 from Freo if they get it from Port, we will then have to talk one of these sides into swapping down. West Coast may be open to it given Jedd Busslinger from WA is expected to go around that pick, but they still need high quality midfielders so may not be willing to.

I agree, find it tough to see either of those two falling out of the top 5 although quirky stuff can happen on the day. Would definitely help to snare something in the top 10 that could be used to get a trade up but who knows at this stage. 

• Like 1

A stack of class, but doesn't seem a very dynamic athlete. Is he going to be a consistent goal kicker without speed, a leap or size? Probably has to be a midfielder to get maximum value. A little big Jack Billings ish for mine. If he falls to us I'd be very happy to have him but I'm not sure we'd be desperately trading up to get him.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

A stack of class, but doesn't seem a very dynamic athlete. Is he going to be a consistent goal kicker without speed, a leap or size? Probably has to be a midfielder to get maximum value. A little big Jack Billings ish for mine. If he falls to us I'd be very happy to have him but I'm not sure we'd be desperately trading up to get him.

You sell him a mile short and in comparing him Billings you're neglecting the number one attribute that separates them. Competitiveness. 

Sheezel carries enormous intensity and energy around the contest which makes up for any lack of speed. Billings' biggest knock is that he lacks that fierce intensity around the ball which is why he is a vanilla player. 

The reason he'd fit so well for us is that he ticks the competitive box first and foremost which is what we look for in every player that we bring in. 

But he compliments us because his ball use, composure and ability to hit the scoreboard is absolutely elite. He is the perfect link up player and will be a huge upgrade on our half forward line once he builds his tank. 

• Like 1

Interesting thought that (if we got him + if he meets projections) we could end up with three forwards who are each the best of their different types (Fritsch, Pickett & Sheezel) but none of them would be the classic tall forward.

We'd be in sore need of our own Cameron Mooney!

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, JimmyGadson said:

You sell him a mile short and in comparing him Billings you're neglecting the number one attribute that separates them. Competitiveness. 

Fair, and for the record I think he’ll have a lot better career than Billings. (Billings would’ve had a lot better career anywhere but St Kilda too).

Sam Flanders is not nearly as classy but was a gun junior forward/mid with competitiveness, kicked 19 goals as a bottom ager, hasn’t got going at afl level at all yet.

It’s just really hard to beat afl defenders purely on smarts. It’s easier if you have genuine speed or the ability to really jump at the ball. Not to mention how important that athleticism is defensively. And unless footy changed drastically half forwards are going to be the first line of defending. 

I might be wrong and he might be the next Robbie Gray, but I think Gray had more burst in his earlier years. 

I’d absolutely love to have him using it inside 50, just not convinced to the extent that I’d be packaging all the LJ compo and then some to get in to the top 5 to get him. 

Edited by DeeSpencer
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I'm still in the Cadman boat. But jesus if Sheezel was still available at our pick I'd be stoked.

Reminds me a lot of Steve Johnson/Alan Didak.

i see him more in the greene mold, can go up the ground and impact and also is super crafty around goals. or like a rozee

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Turner said:

i see him more in the greene mold, can go up the ground and impact and also is super crafty around goals. or like a rozee

Bit surprised he isn't been talked up as a genuine number 2 pick.

Reckon he's an absolute star in the making.

• Like 2