Jump to content

  • Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview  

  • Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview 

CHANGES: Rd 23 vs Brisbane


Demonland
 Share


Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, Canplay said:

Bowey in to replace one of the pressure forwards - Spago or ANB -  we need his kicking skills into the forward line and both lads out of form - particularly ANB.

 

Agree. Bowey gets more of the ball than Spargo and is a like for like. Is fend offs a stat. Harmes did 37 today for Casey, but would add grunt. Weidemann was very good today. Spargo my only out, was poor mostly last night.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

We would then have 2 non chasing talls and often a ruck.

Worked ok last year...

  

4 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

At afl level he doesn’t have the tank, speed or clunking hands to get out on the lead at CHF.

Would that matter at all with how we go forward?

  

4 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Not sure why we have such desire to change the Brown, Melk, Fritsch and rucks combo. Scoring really hasn’t been the problem since Melk came in to the side.

Not sure I agree with this. Our inside 50 efficiency seems pretty poor atm. Milkshake saved us last night by playing one out of the box, but I wouldn't be relying on that happening every week.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


3 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

We would then have 2 non chasing talls and often a ruck. Plus Weid was all big body work on small opponents today. At afl level he doesn’t have the tank, speed or clunking hands to get out on the lead at CHF. He’d be a sitting duck for a good key defender. He doesn’t kick it well enough to be a weapon with the ball either.

Not sure why we have such desire to change the Brown, Melk, Fritsch and rucks combo. Scoring really hasn’t been the problem since Melk came in to the side.

 

Agree with everything except that scoring has been a problem. Our scoring should be comparable with our inside 50 numbers. In that respect we have been inefficient for quite some time, and it's cost us games.

Spargo has been a failure as a relief wingman, and isn't contributing as a crumbing forward, so has to go. Bowey in for him.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, mo64 said:

Agree with everything except that scoring has been a problem. Our scoring should be comparable with our inside 50 numbers. In that respect we have been inefficient for quite some time, and it's cost us games.

Spargo has been a failure as a relief wingman, and isn't contributing as a crumbing forward, so has to go. Bowey in for him.

Just on this - Spargo is the number 1 player in the AFL for kicks retained inside 50, and is MILES ahead of any other Demon.

If you want to improve our scoring efficiency get him the ball more rather than drop him.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, mo64 said:

Agree with everything except that scoring has been a problem. Our scoring should be comparable with our inside 50 numbers. In that respect we have been inefficient for quite some time, and it's cost us games.

Spargo has been a failure as a relief wingman, and isn't contributing as a crumbing forward, so has to go. Bowey in for him.

Spargo played all of 5 minutes on the wing because Brayshaw was needed on Cripps. Sure, give me Bowey for those 5 minutes.

For the rest of the game Spargo, Bedford and Chandler are all ahead of a massive dice role on Bowey.
 

Spargo was good against Freo, very good against Port. He’s had a couple of tough weeks against good sides in really tough conditions, that’s the life of a small forward. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Worked ok last year...

  

Would that matter at all with how we go forward?

  

Not sure I agree with this. Our inside 50 efficiency seems pretty poor atm. Milkshake saved us last night by playing one out of the box, but I wouldn't be relying on that happening every week.

 

McDonald chased and covered the ground far better than Brown and Weid do.

If Weid is going to play as a lead up CHF he needs afl abilities to do so. If he’s going to be stand and deliver under high balls we’ve all see enough of that this year.

Our first halves in the 5 games since Melk has come in have produced scoring. And in total it’s been 83, 100, 85, 89, 79. All could’ve been winning scores.

The lack of efficiency is partly the leading patterns, partly Brown and the rucks being no good, a good chunk due to our midfield and backline lack of skills and change of direction and partly due to Melk being 187cm not 195.

Weid in only fixes 1 of those issues and hurts all the rest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

McDonald chased and covered the ground far better than Brown and Weid do.

If Weid is going to play as a lead up CHF he needs afl abilities to do so. If he’s going to be stand and deliver under high balls we’ve all see enough of that this year.

Our first halves in the 5 games since Melk has come in have produced scoring. And in total it’s been 83, 100, 85, 89, 79. All could’ve been winning scores.

The lack of efficiency is partly the leading patterns, partly Brown and the rucks being no good, a good chunk due to our midfield and backline lack of skills and change of direction and partly due to Melk being 187cm not 195.

Weid in only fixes 1 of those issues and hurts all the rest.

I'm not advocating for Weid to come in, I'm just saying our efficiency is currently poor, we pretty much blast over CHF so don't think it matter who's there atm, and our forward line is not working that well currently - Our inside 50 efficiency is terrible and we're 18th for opponent rebound 50s.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Just on this - Spargo is the number 1 player in the AFL for kicks retained inside 50, and is MILES ahead of any other Demon.

If you want to improve our scoring efficiency get him the ball more rather than drop him.

I saw that stat and it's based on percentages, not volume. If he only has 2 inside 50's a game, that stat becomes irrelevant. And how exactly do you get Spargo the ball more often? The game is all about contests. It's up to him to find the ball. And his weak effort on the boundary line which cost us a goal, does him no favours.

  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 minute ago, mo64 said:

I saw that stat and it's based on percentages, not volume. If he only has 2 inside 50's a game, that stat becomes irrelevant. And how exactly do you get Spargo the ball more often? The game is all about contests. It's up to him to find the ball. And his weak effort on the boundary line which cost us a goal, does him no favours.

Does SparGoat get more of the pill if we replaced ANB with JVR for example?

Always found it odd that Spargo, having such high footy IQ, cannot find the footy more than he does

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, mo64 said:

I saw that stat and it's based on percentages, not volume. If he only has 2 inside 50's a game, that stat becomes irrelevant. And how exactly do you get Spargo the ball more often? The game is all about contests. It's up to him to find the ball. And his weak effort on the boundary line which cost us a goal, does him no favours.

Silly to judge a player on one piece of play.

We can get him the ball more by getting rid of the habit we have of blasting over half forward. Start using players like Spargo, Harmes, ANB, Langdon etc around half forward and utilizing more directed short kicks.

Spargo isn't a 'crumbing forward', and he's not an inside mid, so it's not just his job to go and win clearances. One of the main factors in our skill issues this year is bypassing our outside players IMO.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Silly to judge a player on one piece of play.

We can get him the ball more by getting rid of the habit we have of blasting over half forward. Start using players like Spargo, Harmes, ANB, Langdon etc around half forward and utilizing more directed short kicks.

Spargo isn't a 'crumbing forward', and he's not an inside mid, so it's not just his job to go and win clearances. One of the main factors in our skill issues this year is bypassing our outside players IMO.

But isn't that the issue? Spargo doesn't suit our game style, so either we change it, or find players who can play the role.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

I'm not advocating for Weid to come in, I'm just saying our efficiency is currently poor, we pretty much blast over CHF so don't think it matter who's there atm, and our forward line is not working that well currently - Our inside 50 efficiency is terrible and we're 18th for opponent rebound 50s.

Efficiency and pressure both poor, but pure scoring ok. The method of getting it in and how predictable it is to defend are both things we can massively upgrade with form, fitness, focus. The forward personnel I really don’t think we can do much about. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, mo64 said:

But isn't that the issue? Spargo doesn't suit our game style, so either we change it, or find players who can play the role.

Rubbish. He suited it perfectly fine when we won a flag. What have we completely changed about our game style this year that suddenly now renders him obsolete? Do you think our game style this year is humming along perfectly? No tweaks needed? Reckon Goody talking about 'forward connection' is just to get his face in the paper?

Nonsensical to suggest getting rid of him when his strength is what we desperately need.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Efficiency and pressure both poor, but pure scoring ok. The method of getting it in and how predictable it is to defend are both things we can massively upgrade with form, fitness, focus. The forward personnel I really don’t think we can do much about. 

'Pure scoring' sure, but you know there's more nuance to it than that, and the lack of pressure and the ease of rebound 50s is causing us to still lose games despite our score being reasonably high.

Improve the forward 50 efficiency and we improve those things by having more marks, allowing us to setup behind the ball, and have more goals, allowing us to use our centre clearance strengths.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

'Pure scoring' sure, but you know there's more nuance to it than that, and the lack of pressure and the ease of rebound 50s is causing us to still lose games despite our score being reasonably high.

Improve the forward 50 efficiency and we improve those things by having more marks, allowing us to setup behind the ball, and have more goals, allowing us to use our centre clearance strengths.

Not sure where you think I said we didn’t need to improve those things? My replies are all in the suggestions to change the forwards. Given this is the changes thread.

Our midfield and half backs are responsible for those issues as much as the forwards. We’ve tried to improve all 3 lines with the change of Hunt in, Brayshaw on ball, Petracca forward. It’s helped marginally. Harmes didn’t look like the answer from his Casey form today. Not sure we’ve got anyone who is the answer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Not sure where you think I said we didn’t need to improve those things? My replies are all in the suggestions to change the forwards. Given this is the changes thread.

Didn't mean to imply you did, apologies if that's how it came across, wasn't intended.

4 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Our midfield and half backs are responsible for those issues as much as the forwards. We’ve tried to improve all 3 lines with the change of Hunt in, Brayshaw on ball, Petracca forward. It’s helped marginally. Harmes didn’t look like the answer from his Casey form today. Not sure we’ve got anyone who is the answer.

Agree, it may not be a personnel issue hey? Not sure how we flick the switch for this stuff or even if we can at this stage. I do remember in mid-late 2020 (I think it was about then) that Viney managed to dramatically turn around his inside 50 use almost instantly and the team followed, maybe that's the kind of thing it takes?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Lord Nev said:

Didn't mean to imply you did, apologies if that's how it came across, wasn't intended.

Agree, it may not be a personnel issue hey? Not sure how we flick the switch for this stuff or even if we can at this stage. I do remember in mid-late 2020 (I think it was about then) that Viney managed to dramatically turn around his inside 50 use almost instantly and the team followed, maybe that's the kind of thing it takes?

...and maybe getting the monkey off the back and winning a hard fought, close game will give us a further lift.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


I could copy my changes from last week.

Harmes for Sparrow should be a given. Sparrow is offering nothing at the moment and Harmes should come in to tag Neale.

Van Rooyen / Weideman for Spargo. I don't care how good Spargo's disposal supposedly is, he had 4 touches at 50% efficiency last night, he's kicked goals in 3 of the last 12 games and his opponents are running off him and having a field day every single week. At least another tall keeps the defence honest and will ease the pressure on Brown.

Our two wings are a major concern. I don't like Petracca spending so much time forward either. Therefore Brayshaw back to the wing, Petracca into the middle and Jordon on notice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interested in Demonlanders opinion on Lever's form at the moment. From my eyes, he's in horrid touch, almost looks as though he needs glasses at times given his reading of the ball in flight. At ground level he regularly gets wrong-footed and is giving away some awkward free kicks. When he does get boot or hand to ball it seems to be one shank after another. Is a change warranted and who for?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Agree, it may not be a personnel issue hey? Not sure how we flick the switch for this stuff or even if we can at this stage. I do remember in mid-late 2020 (I think it was about then) that Viney managed to dramatically turn around his inside 50 use almost instantly and the team followed, maybe that's the kind of thing it takes?

Running, sharing the ball and intensity at the contest to win the ball and to force errors from the opposition is the key to our best football. Tracc and Clarry have been waiting for finals all year I think. Whether they’ve got another gear or not we’ll soon find out. 

Otherwise we drafted Laurie, Bowey, Howes and JVR all for a reason and they’ll get their chances in coming years. Everyone knows what the team needs, the kids just can’t get a game over 19 premiership players even if our style and skills are a bit off

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Boots and all said:

Interested in Demonlanders opinion on Lever's form at the moment. From my eyes, he's in horrid touch, almost looks as though he needs glasses at times given his reading of the ball in flight. At ground level he regularly gets wrong-footed and is giving away some awkward free kicks. When he does get boot or hand to ball it seems to be one shank after another. Is a change warranted and who for?

It’s crap but we aren’t dropping him for the Lions unless he’s further injured. He had the guts and smarts to kick to the corridor to set up the winning goal though, so it’s not all bad 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    BLINK OF AN EYE by The Oracle

    In the year 2022, we learned that the fine between ultimate success in sport and failure can be measured in the blink of an eye. The Melbourne Football Club began the year where it had left off in 2021 - as the powerhouse of the AFL men’s competition.  They steamed towards the halfway mark of the season taking all before them until their winning streak of ten in a row (17 overall since the latter part of the premiership season) came to a crushing end with consecutive losses at the hands of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    CHANGES 2022 Part 03 by The Oracle

    Part Three - Comparing apples with pomegranates by The Oracle One of the truly pointless exercises after each year’s draft is the game over which club “won” the period in question. The reality is that there is no winner or loser at the time and it’s only years further down the track when a full assessment of how the picks turn out can be made, that the winning hand is revealed. And the draft results cannot be considered in isolation; you need to look at where each club stood before the

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    GRAND NEW FLAG by Meggs

    Daisy was at pains to tell everyone who asked that the grand final story was NOT the Daisy Pearce story.  She wanted people to focus on the Melbourne Football Club, our wonderful players and non-playing teammates, her legacy buddy head coach Mick Stinear, the assistant coaches, the Club volunteers, the Board, the administrators, #DeeArmy, all supporters, in fact anyone who bleeds for the red and the blue.  But it is also a bit about the pioneer, role model, mother who is Daisy Pearce

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    EYES ON THE PRIZE by Meggs

    The Stinear/Pearce partnership has evolved over the 7 AFLW seasons and they have built a team with talented, committed footballers who play for each other and execute a highly entertaining brand of footy. On Sunday can a premiership be added to this legacy? This may well be the last time we see Daisy in the mighty red and blue as she contemplates her start date for a coaching role ‘Down at Kardinia Park’.  Last week’s sensational sealer in the Prelim showed everybody that Daisy could s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DAISY’S DEMON DRIVE by Meggs

    On a blustery Saturday afternoon when the conditions affected marking skills and the ball bounced unpredictably, the Mighty Dees stuck fat against a determined Kangaroos outfit to break away with two final quarter goals to none to win AFLW Preliminary Final 2 by 17 points — an all-time high winning margin between these two teams.  From the outset it was a fiercely fought contest with Melbourne unable to find the ball in space. North really amped up their one-percenters an

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NOT A MOMENT TO MISS by Meggs

    The AFLW Season 7 fixture was carefully crafted to purposely handicap the better teams and give the expansion and developing sides an easier draw.  Nonetheless, this weekend’s Preliminary Finals will showcase the Lions, Demons, Crows and Roos, teams widely accepted as the best 4 in the competition.   In Friday night’s Prelim 1 the minor premiers, Brisbane, will start warm favourites at home against Adelaide.   On Saturday afternoon at Ikon Park, Prelim 2 between Melbourne and North is

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STICK TO YOUR GUNS by Meggs

    The Dees convincingly overcome the fast-starting reigning-premiers Adelaide to win by 21 points in a fiery Qualifying Final match at Ikon Park on Friday evening.     In that first quarter Adelaide jumped out of the blocks kicking their first goal inside 20 seconds finishing with 3 goals to nil. All was quiet at Ikon Park.     Melbourne, having easily outplayed lesser opponents over the past six weeks took time to ratchet up their intensity.  But, by mid to late first quarter, the Dees be

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    HEAVYWEIGHTS by Meggs

    AFLW heavyweights Melbourne and Adelaide kick off the AFLW Season 7 Final Series with a massive Qualifying Final clash at Ikon Park this Friday night at 7:10pm.  The game promises to be a cracker.   Last season’s Grand Final combatants last met in Round 1where Melbourne came away with a strong 18-point victory at Glenelg Oval. The Dees will be hoping to replicate the result and move directly to the Preliminary Final.    While Adelaide may not have been as intimidating this season as in p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MISSED IT BY THAT MUCH by Meggs

    Congratulations to Daisy’s Dees on a huge 78-point one-sided win against West Coast in challenging windy and wet conditions at Casey Fields.     The banner celebrating Sarah Lampard’s 50 games was a victim of the wind, but nonetheless Lampy received a warm round of applause from the parochial crowd in attendance.   Melbourne has the double-chance and is excited about its chances in the Season 7 AFLW finals. If this means the Grand Final is played at Metricon and the Demond make it, then

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...