Jump to content

CHANGES: Rd 23 vs Brisbane


Demonland

Recommended Posts

ok.. so what are the match ups/ Lions fwds v Dees defenders

  • Daniher v May
  • Petty v McStay
  • Lever v Hipwwod?
  • Hibbo v Rayner
  • Hunt v Charlie
  • Rivers v McCarthy
  • salo loose?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, layzie said:

The Charlie matchup is tough. Hibbo was excellent last time but it would be good for Hunt to get a crack. Glad we'll likely have both. 

Hibbo surely gets the Rayner match up.? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Demon3 said:

ok.. so what are the match ups/ Lions fwds v Dees defenders

  • Daniher v May
  • Petty v McStay
  • Lever v Hipwwod?
  • Hibbo v Rayner
  • Hunt v Charlie
  • Rivers v McCarthy
  • salo loose?

So where do you think Bailey is going to play Demon3 or do you have inside knowledge that he's injured?

And your choice of Hunt on Cameron is logical based on pace, but against that is the fact that Cameron plays largely from the goalsquare and the last time we thrust Hunt into that position (against Sydney's Papley and Heeney if you have forgotten) he spent the next six weeks in the VFL because he was blamed for losing pivotal contests. The person who lost the pivotal contest was the fella who nominated to play him in that role and there has been no suggestion anywhere of that nuff-nuff losing some of his coaching salary.

Hunt showed on Saturday his value as a running defender - he was the only one who didn't go down the left side like Goody's zombies and the result was that our forwards got a decent chance to score when he got it.

Hunt will most likely play on Bailey who is mega quick as well, but plays more half-forward than goalsquare like Charlie.

Daniher and Hipwood are the two major dangers so May and Petty will get them, Lever will get McStay or when he's off Rayner. That leaves Salem on McCarthy and Rivers on Rayner. Poor old Hibbo will have to get Cameron which ain't ideal but Hibbo is such a great user of his body in one-on-one contests around the goalsquare  that it has to be him.

What should happen is that Rivers should be dropped and that Brayshaw goes back to defence and is told to try and switch the ball on occasions rather than just going down the line to a contest like zombies that we do. Harmes would then come into the midfield rotation.

What should also happen is that Joel Smith should be the sub, so that he can cover almost any injury scenario for us, including playing on Charlie if Hibbo does his hammy. But that won't happen because Goody doesn't like changing a side and will stick with a small forward as sub (or Harmes if he doesn't get a recall). When you are premiers your coach can do nothing and have an immediate justification - we are premiers after all, what do you know. The fact that we've lost six of our past 11 games and everyone has figured us out as one-trick ponies is irrelevant - because we are premiers and it is almost heresy to suggest change.

Our only hope is that our middle quartet get enough decent centre bounce clearances to provide a winning score, because we sure as hell ain't going to win by simply playing the left side ... again and again and again.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Deespicable said:

So where do you think Bailey is going to play Demon3 or do you have inside knowledge that he's injured?

And your choice of Hunt on Cameron is logical based on pace, but against that is the fact that Cameron plays largely from the goalsquare and the last time we thrust Hunt into that position (against Sydney's Papley and Heeney if you have forgotten) he spent the next six weeks in the VFL because he was blamed for losing pivotal contests. The person who lost the pivotal contest was the fella who nominated to play him in that role and there has been no suggestion anywhere of that nuff-nuff losing some of his coaching salary.

Hunt showed on Saturday his value as a running defender - he was the only one who didn't go down the left side like Goody's zombies and the result was that our forwards got a decent chance to score when he got it.

Hunt will most likely play on Bailey who is mega quick as well, but plays more half-forward than goalsquare like Charlie.

Daniher and Hipwood are the two major dangers so May and Petty will get them, Lever will get McStay or when he's off Rayner. That leaves Salem on McCarthy and Rivers on Rayner. Poor old Hibbo will have to get Cameron which ain't ideal but Hibbo is such a great user of his body in one-on-one contests around the goalsquare  that it has to be him.

What should happen is that Rivers should be dropped and that Brayshaw goes back to defence and is told to try and switch the ball on occasions rather than just going down the line to a contest like zombies that we do. Harmes would then come into the midfield rotation.

What should also happen is that Joel Smith should be the sub, so that he can cover almost any injury scenario for us, including playing on Charlie if Hibbo does his hammy. But that won't happen because Goody doesn't like changing a side and will stick with a small forward as sub (or Harmes if he doesn't get a recall). When you are premiers your coach can do nothing and have an immediate justification - we are premiers after all, what do you know. The fact that we've lost six of our past 11 games and everyone has figured us out as one-trick ponies is irrelevant - because we are premiers and it is almost heresy to suggest change.

Our only hope is that our middle quartet get enough decent centre bounce clearances to provide a winning score, because we sure as hell ain't going to win by simply playing the left side ... again and again and again.

I have no knowledge of Bailey, assuming he plays, will probably go through the middle a bit changing with Rayner.

Agree you dont want Hunt to close to goal and defending one on one, but that all depends if we let their ball movement happen that way, We were pretty awful v Sydney, didnt have May there either that night, Tomlinson got destroyed and they exploited us down back. Reckon it will be different this time.

Hibberd is a great match up for Rayner, who they will play through a bit, he is in form and plays tall and small. 

i know we have lost 6 of our last 11, games are hard to win especially when we are not playing at the optimum level, but in those wins have been Brisbane and Freo and Carlton.. all top 8 sides.  

Just my thoughts, thats why i asked the question.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Deespicable said:

So where do you think Bailey is going to play Demon3 or do you have inside knowledge that he's injured?

And your choice of Hunt on Cameron is logical based on pace, but against that is the fact that Cameron plays largely from the goalsquare and the last time we thrust Hunt into that position (against Sydney's Papley and Heeney if you have forgotten) he spent the next six weeks in the VFL because he was blamed for losing pivotal contests. The person who lost the pivotal contest was the fella who nominated to play him in that role and there has been no suggestion anywhere of that nuff-nuff losing some of his coaching salary.

Hunt showed on Saturday his value as a running defender - he was the only one who didn't go down the left side like Goody's zombies and the result was that our forwards got a decent chance to score when he got it.

Hunt will most likely play on Bailey who is mega quick as well, but plays more half-forward than goalsquare like Charlie.

Daniher and Hipwood are the two major dangers so May and Petty will get them, Lever will get McStay or when he's off Rayner. That leaves Salem on McCarthy and Rivers on Rayner. Poor old Hibbo will have to get Cameron which ain't ideal but Hibbo is such a great user of his body in one-on-one contests around the goalsquare  that it has to be him.

What should happen is that Rivers should be dropped and that Brayshaw goes back to defence and is told to try and switch the ball on occasions rather than just going down the line to a contest like zombies that we do. Harmes would then come into the midfield rotation.

What should also happen is that Joel Smith should be the sub, so that he can cover almost any injury scenario for us, including playing on Charlie if Hibbo does his hammy. But that won't happen because Goody doesn't like changing a side and will stick with a small forward as sub (or Harmes if he doesn't get a recall). When you are premiers your coach can do nothing and have an immediate justification - we are premiers after all, what do you know. The fact that we've lost six of our past 11 games and everyone has figured us out as one-trick ponies is irrelevant - because we are premiers and it is almost heresy to suggest change.

Our only hope is that our middle quartet get enough decent centre bounce clearances to provide a winning score, because we sure as hell ain't going to win by simply playing the left side ... again and again and again.

You do know that:

  1. we beat Carlton; and
  2. last time we played Brisbane, we belted them

right?

Because this post reads like you think the opposite.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Brisbane average 104 points a game for v the bottom 10 sides and 90 per game for v the top 8 sides.

They also average 73 points against v bottom 10 sides and 94.4 points against v the top 8 sides.

The difference between how they dictate play against weaker sides and good sides is very different and they fall apart once the pressure is turned up.

The backline match ups won't matter too much if we can pressure them through the middle and not allow them easy run. Do that and we go a long way to winning this game.

The pressure is firmly on them as they are known to collapse in big games and have a horrid finals record.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


55 minutes ago, Deespicable said:

 

What should also happen is that Joel Smith should be the sub, so that he can cover almost any injury scenario for us, including playing on Charlie if Hibbo does his hammy. But that won't happen because Goody doesn't like changing a side and will stick with a small forward as sub (or Harmes if he doesn't get a recall). When you are premiers your coach can do nothing and have an immediate justification - we are premiers after all, what do you know. The fact that we've lost six of our past 11 games and everyone has figured us out as one-trick ponies is irrelevant - because we are premiers and it is almost heresy to suggest change.

Our only hope is that our middle quartet get enough decent centre bounce clearances to provide a winning score, because we sure as hell ain't going to win by simply playing the left side ... again and again and again.

This should be in the dictionary as the perfect definition of irony.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Harmes in due to his rd. 15 scalp over him Neale. Although I'm hoping he wasn't on Neale in the final last year as Neale got 46!

I know Sparrow was one of our 22 premiership heroes but I think it's time he gets dropped after a couple of 10 possession games. I like him at times, but I feel as though Harmes is a more important rotation in the midfield this week with Neale on the other side.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Deespicable said:

Joel Smith should be the sub, so that he can cover almost any injury scenario for us, including playing on Charlie if Hibbo does his hammy.

Late last year, Charlie got goal-side of Smith and away a few times for goals.  I would much rather trust Hibberd than Smith or Hunt.  Rayner is quick but not as tricky,  i.e. Hunt or better Salem who the data on-line during the match says is much quicker than he looks; should bends the knees more just for appearances.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Adams and Ah Chee have been ruled out by the Lions according to AFL.com. 12 days after concussion so must have been close. Payne and Prior are big downgrades imo

Bring the pressure and toughness on Friday and we are a red hot chance!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/16/2022 at 3:42 PM, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Harmes in due to his rd. 15 scalp over him Neale. Although I'm hoping he wasn't on Neale in the final last year as Neale got 46!

I know Sparrow was one of our 22 premiership heroes but I think it's time he gets dropped after a couple of 10 possession games. I like him at times, but I feel as though Harmes is a more important rotation in the midfield this week with Neale on the other side.

 

I agree harmes over sparrow offers more to the team. The 5 day break playing on a wet ground in Casey might be a factor, but he was sub the week previous with Casey having a bye  so hopefully he is fresh

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nothing to do with changes but not worth a new thread.

I’m heading to the game Sat night. My mate is a Lions member but has not been to a game so is not familiar with the club app.

He’s sent me a QR code that I gather was on his membership card. 
Does anyone know if that will get me into the ground?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


9 minutes ago, M_9 said:

Nothing to do with changes but not worth a new thread.

I’m heading to the game Sat night. My mate is a Lions member but has not been to a game so is not familiar with the club app.

He’s sent me a QR code that I gather was on his membership card. 
Does anyone know if that will get me into the ground?

It will as long as it has not been used

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Pulp Fritschon said:

In: Harmes

Out: Rivers

Brayshaw back to the backline. Brayshaw granted had 38 touches but think we need to make the midfield all about Tracc and Oliver - like in 2021. 

In Harmes

Out Spargo

Supersub Smith

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, M_9 said:

Nothing to do with changes but not worth a new thread.

I’m heading to the game Sat night. My mate is a Lions member but has not been to a game so is not familiar with the club app.

He’s sent me a QR code that I gather was on his membership card. 
Does anyone know if that will get me into the ground?

It should, but you might want to go on Friday instead of Saturday.

Edited by Nascent
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, binman said:

It will as long as it has not been used

 

Used by someone else for entry to that  game?

I don’t want to get to the ground and not be able to get in. GABBA site says all tickets must be pre purchased and Ticketmaster says ‘low supply’. I think there’ll be a crowd,

Edited by M_9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, M_9 said:

Used by someone else for entry to that  game?

I don’t want to get to the ground and not be able to get in. GABBA site says all tickets must be pre purchased and Ticketmaster says ‘low supply’. I think there’ll be a crowd,

If your mate has a valid GA barcode fron his membesship and he isn't going to use it then you can.

He might have to 'get" his ticket by downloading it now in case GA sells out, but I assume all members GA tix have to be honoured.

Although only into any GA area.

Edited by binman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    TRAINING: Tuesday 28th May 2024

    Veteran Demonland Trackwatcher Kev Martin returned to the training track to bring you the following observations from Gosch's Paddock this morning. Beautiful morning for training. The dew has dried, out from AAMI, quiet chatting. Maysie does his heart symbol. 7 in rehab, Turner, Hore, Sestan, BBB, Petty, Spargo and Schache. All in runners. Melky weighted and change of angles work. Salem has his individual program. White cap (no contact), Howes, Woewodin and Sparrow

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    GALLANT by KC from Casey

    The world “gallant” is not one that is readily acceptable to losing teams in our game of football so when it was used in the context of the Casey Demons’ loss to Sandringham in yesterday’s match at Casey Fields, it left a bitter taste in the mouth.  The Demons went into the game against the St Kilda affiliated Zebras with the advantage of playing on their home turf (not that this has been a major asset in 2024) and with very little else going in their favour. The Saints have close to a full

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    MEANWHILE by Whispering Jack

    … meanwhile, at about the same time that Narrm was putting its feet on the accelerator to obliterate the long-suffering Euro-Yroke combination, I heard someone mention in passing that Kuwarna was leading Waalitj Marawar by a whopping 46 to 1 halfway through the second quarter of their game over in Adelaide. “What is football coming to?” I asked myself.  In front of my eyes, the Demons were smashing it through the midfield, forcing turnovers and getting the footy to their forwards who w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    PREGAME: Rd 12 vs Fremantle

    The Demons head back on the road for the fourth time this season as the travel to Alice Springs to take on the Fremantle Dockers at Treager Park on Sunday afternoon. Who comes in and who goes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 134

    PODCAST: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Monday, 27th May @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we analyse the Demons victory at the MCG over the Saints in the Round 11. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human. Listen & Chat LIVE

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 29

    VOTES: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    Captain Max Gawn has a considerable lead over reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Steven May, Alex Neal-Bullen & Jake Lever make up the Top 5. Your votes for the win against the Saints. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 54

    POSTGAME: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    After a very wasteful first half of footy the Demons ended up cruising to a clinical victory over the Saints by 38 points at the MCG and ultimately reclaimed a coveted spot in the Top 4.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 393

    GAMEDAY: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    It's Game Day and after 2 losses on the trot the Dees must win against the Saints today at the MCG to keep in touch with the Top 4. A loss today will see them drop out of the Top 8 for the first time since 2020.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 503

    HEAVEN OR HELL by The Oracle

    Clashes between Melbourne and St Kilda are often described as battles between the forces of heaven and hell. However, based on recent performances, it’s hard to get excited about the forthcoming match between these two sides. It would be fair to say that, at the moment, both of these teams are in the doldrums. The Demons have become the competition’s slow starters while the Saints are not only slow to begin, they’re not doing much of a job finishing off their games either. About the only th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...