TEAMS: Rd 19 vs Western Bulldogs

Demonland

54 minutes ago, Sydney_Demon said:

As has been pointed out by others this is not the 3rd week in a row with this set-up, but I agree with your last point.

Sorry to be unclear. By set up, I mean the 1 permanent tall forward and 1 resting ruck/forward.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Earl Hood said:

Rode past training this morning Oliver, Brown, Lever all training seemingly unhindered. But I could not sight Fritsch? Weideman working with the forwards but that would be expected as he is listed as an emergency. Couldn’t stay long to totally confirm though. 

Lego Movie Hair GIF

Fritta was getting his styling done this morning 🤣

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Lego Movie Hair GIF

Fritta was getting his styling done this morning 🤣

False alarm, other track watchers reporting Fritsch is at training. Need to go to SpecSavers! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, binman said:

You might well be right.

Over the journey, i'm one of Weed's biggest critics.  

But the the role really requires someone who is a genuine big tall., whcih neither JVR or Smith is.

With Tmac out, Weed is the only other  genuine tall on our list, and it is for this reason i think he will get first crack at the role.

I would rather someone who is a little shorter but who plays like he wants the ball. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, old dee said:

I would rather someone who is a little shorter but who plays like he wants the ball. 

You mean someone near the end of his career and slow, who got it 7 times last week and I stand to be corrected, but didn’t take a contested mark and also dropped two simple handball receives, that stopped us scoring and led to opposition scores.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 2

I think Weid is fine, without Brown, just don't think Weid/Brown works at all, the 2 traditional tall setup is not very successful nowadays and I think Goody sees this. Neither is particularly quick or good at ground level. You look at Cameron/Hawkins and Curnow/McKay and you have the more traditional big and then the very agile one who is a threat when the ball hits the ground 

9 minutes ago, Redleg said:

You mean someone near the end of his career and slow, who got it 7 times last week and I stand to be corrected, but didn’t take a contested mark and also dropped two simple handball receives, that stopped us scoring and led to opposition scores.

Some are easily so pleased..

2 minutes ago, Clayton spirit said:

I think Weid is fine, without Brown, just don't think Weid/Brown works at all, the 2 traditional tall setup is not very successful nowadays and I think Goody sees this. Neither is particularly quick or good at ground level. You look at Cameron/Hawkins and Curnow/McKay and you have the more traditional big and then the very agile one who is a threat when the ball hits the ground 

In fairness to Weid, he hasn't been give the opportunity to at least work in tandem with Brown.

Goody speaks about building cohesion within the team but yet refuses to at least give the Weid/Brown combo a decent crack. They've played 4 games together this year alone and only 1 last year. How are they're suppose to build chemistry if you're just going to chop and change your 2nd key tall from AFL to VFL every 2nd week.

I've been one of Weids biggest critic this year with some of his performances, but right now our forward line is still a shambles playing the one tall. The opportunity has been there since McDonald went down.

The 1 tall forward line alongside Gawn/Jackson as support is just completely out of wack because both Gawn and Jackson simply don't have the forward instinct and craft in them.

It got exposed against Geelong and just survived against Port thanks to a 170cm star small forward.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I mean, I look at our line up and still scratch my head in why we see fail to address the big concern around our forward line set up. 

I think they've decided that Weideman isn't the answer, JVR isn't ready and don't want to weaken the defence by playing Petty forward 

25 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Do you mean the fella Goody has selected two weeks in a row at a critical point in the season?

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Just now, one_demon said:

I think they've decided that Weideman isn't the answer, JVR isn't ready and don't want to weaken the defence by playing Petty forward 

Well then they shouldn't haven't offered him a 2 year deal last year because they're stuck with him for another year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JimmyGadson said:

I know the dogs will be bringing something different and will challenge us, they have a very different looking side and I just hope Goody is prepared for that. 

Got this strange feeling the dogs will bring it and will pick us apart with a bit of that being to do with our selections. 

Plus Oliver, Lever and Brown carrying injuries 

1 minute ago, binman said:

Do you mean the fella Goody has selected two weeks in a row at a critical point in the season?

Melksham did fumble a couple in first half but was more assured with ball in 2nd half.

He obviously did what the FD wanted last week in playing his role, and gets picked again as his reward. Also was much more team focussed with his ball distribution.

Personally the more commentary I see and hear on our Forward structure, would be great to see JVR given a crack at it!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

In fairness to Weid, he hasn't been give the opportunity to at least work in tandem with Brown.

Goody speaks about building cohesion within the team but yet refuses to at least give the Weid/Brown combo a decent crack. They've played 4 games together this year alone and only 1 last year. How are they're suppose to build chemistry if you're just going to chop and change your 2nd key tall from AFL to VFL every 2nd week.

I've been one of Weids biggest critic this year with some of his performances, but right now our forward line is still a shambles playing the one tall. The opportunity has been there since McDonald went down.

The 1 tall forward line alongside Gawn/Jackson as support is just completely out of wack because both Gawn and Jackson simply don't have the forward instinct and craft in them.

It got exposed against Geelong and just survived against Port thanks to a 170cm star small forward.

we are desperate for another target, yes, but the question is what pressure they can provide when we don't have the ball, which seems a majority of the time in recent weeks, which explains the Bedford (which hasn't worked) and now Melksham selections. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JimmyGadson said:

It's a really strange side. 

And I'm interested and will watch closely at our tactics. @DeeSpencerthought Melksham was solid in his role so I'll watch closely at how much he impacts as a defensive forward.

I know the dogs will be bringing something different and will challenge us, they have a very different looking side and I just hope Goody is prepared for that. 

Got this strange feeling the dogs will bring it and will pick us apart with a bit of that being to do with our selections. 

I can see us losing by 35 plus and I'm concerned. I don't understand Goodwin's selections. I can't understand why Weid isn't given a shot with the dogs fragile backline. And I don't know what impact Melksham will have on the result if our mids are again smashes at the coal face. 

Let's see. 

If by strange side you mean line up, it would be surprising if we line up like what was printed.

Otherwise Melksham in for TMac and Jordan for Bowser are only changes, plus medi sub from last years GF team.

Demons had a good win last week, so did Dogs but they are front runners, don’t put pressure on them and away they go.

Dogs injured in Caleb D & Duryea are major outs, Daniels has hurt Demons big time in a number of matches and Duryea is very good and Dogs best at minimising small forwards influence. Bruce just back and not in form only helps their structure, but he has a way to go!

Their defence is still ordinary, forward line not much better than last year and midfield the same.

I’m confident Demons winning margin closer to 35 points!