Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Trade and Free Agency rumours

Nascent

The only 3rd tall forward who excites me is Gunston because of his class.

Henry or Georgiades, no thanks. We have Fritsch.

And hopefully we have T Mc to then hand over to JVR over the next 2 years. To fill 1 or 2 spots as mobile running talls.

It’s second ruck and a genuine marking tall that we need. 

I suggest we shop at the bargain basement bin for at least one useful tall forward but history says you need a lot of luck for a big gun to come to you. Magically summoning one of the 8 or so elite talls in this league is wishful thinking (unless you’re Geelong, Richmond or Sydney).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 3183 Dee said:

I think we should make a massive play for Georgiades…but we would surely need to be offering Port the same as what we’re expecting from Freo?  

You are joking aren’t you? The upside of Jackson is far and above of that of Georgiades 

• Like 3

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-tigers-offer-tim-taranto-a-monster-deal-20220903-p5bf5p.html

Taranto appears Richmoneld bound with the Tigers likely to part with a minimum of pick 12.

Giants will then have pick 3, 12 and 21 with more picks to be added with the imminent departure of Hopper, Bruhn and Hill.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Demons11 said:

You are joking aren’t you? The upside of Jackson is far and above of that of Georgiades 

What I meant was, Port would be expecting big picks for Georgiades. I think we are desperate for a big, marking forward but am struggling to see who is gettable.

• Like 1

I think 2023 provides us with the opportunity to chase some pressure smalls. That's what Richmond built their side around until they landed Lynch to compliment Riewoldt.

They need to be clean and hard at the ground ball.

It seems a ready made KPF won't be on the market, so I'd prefer we go small. It may mean changing our ball movement or it may not. Having quick and dangerous ground level players everywhere will frighten defenders and make it easier for any talls we try to anchor around forward of centre.

• Like 1

Gun goal kicking forwards;

Dunstall, Ablett, Lockett, Jakovich, Modra, Fevola, Capper, Carey, Farmer.

How tall were they?????

Maybe we have forgotten how to play/coach footy properly?

It seems nowdays, the forwardline is jam packed, and we just bomb it down. I still remember how we structured for Jakovich, and how they structured for Dunstall.

We can't just blow teams away from the midfield, without delivering to a leading forward in an open forward line. Our system sucks at the moment.

Nb. If we had a proper forward structure, there is no reason why Fritsch can't be the equivalent of Modra. 

Also, De Goey is available to be another Ablett. If only the structure suited.

• Facepalm 1

10 hours ago, Deetention said:

Not a rumour... Just my opinion.

Dees should be chasing both Joel Amartey and Hayden McLean from the Swans. Both can play Forward and Ruck. 

Both looked good in the VFL earlier today.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

In a hypothetical scenario if we lose Luke Jackson to West Coast rather than Fremantle we should ask for pick 2# in the 2022 AFL National Draft.

Then we split that number 2# pick to whoever can offer us two top 10-15 Draft picks. We then use one of those first round picks to obtain Tim Taranto (who used to barrack for Melbourne) from GWS and use the other pick to then draft a young tall forward.

I think if we offered a decent trade over Richmond that we could snare Tim Taranto from GWS. Especially after missing out on Adam Cerra at the end of last year.

Either way, we should look to be reasonably aggressive in the AFL trade period. But we will see what happens with our finals campaign first.

We certainly need some big young tall forwards to develop alonside Jacob Van Rooyen. Especially any tall forwards around 195cms+ who we can use to eventually replace Ben Brown and Tom McDonald.

In the end, the main thing is for the Demons to improve their list just as all 18 AFL Clubs do at the end of each season.

Edited by Supreme_Demon
  • Like 1

Fox is reporting that Ess has made a play for De Goey.  Imagine the nightmare for a new coach of trying to manage him and another high maintenance 'bad boy' in Stringer. 

Ess sorely need a big bodied midfielder but they would be wise to adopt a NDH policy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, A F said:

I think 2023 provides us with the opportunity to chase some pressure smalls. That's what Richmond built their side around until they landed Lynch to compliment Riewoldt.

It seems a ready made KPF won't be on the market, so I'd prefer we go small. It may mean changing our ball movement or it may not. Having quick and dangerous ground level players everywhere will frighten defenders and make it easier for any talls we try to anchor around forward of centre.

Bit like tall forwards there isn't really any ready made small forwards that we could chase.

Other then that, I agree with you. Another x factor small like a Pickett/Papley would add a different level of element to our forward mix.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, A F said:

Agree, replenish the small stocks. Richmond got to a point where they were pumping them out on a conveyor belt. It can't hurt to have more pushing for selection. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, A F said:

Takes a special defender to completely shut Kossie out of a game, not many teams could cope with two of him. I think it's a smart play.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, A F said:

You don't rate Bedford, Lauire and Chandler?  Not sure who is around that is better than at least one of them.

Wondering who would a new 'pressure small' displace from our starting 22?

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

You don't rate Bedford, Lauire and Chandler?  Not sure who is around that is better than at least one of them.

Wondering who would a new 'pressure small' displace from our starting 22?

Well clearly Goodwin doesn't rate them.

So yes, I think we can certainly add better stocks to our small forwards.

As I already mentioned above, the issue is that like the lack of tall forwards available, there isn't many other options out there.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Well clearly Goodwin doesn't rate them.

So yes, I think we can certainly add better stocks to our small forwards.

As I already mentioned above, the issue is that like the lack of tall forwards available, there isn't many other options out there.

Doesn't rate them or doesn't rate them more than Kozzie, Spargo and Neal-Bullen?

We are in agreement that there aren't small forwards out there.  Which is why other teams have chased Chandler and are chasing Bedford.  If there was more exposed form they could also be chasing Laurie.

Maybe the club needs to ask Neal-Bullen to look at his trade options again.  Harsh maybe but somehow we need to make room for players in the wings or lose them to other clubs. 

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Bates Mate said:

Ratugolea from the cats is rumoured to be looking around. One year left on the contract. I wouldn't mind him as a forward / ruck pinch hit for a relatively low cost. Rate him higher than weid and more mobile than b.brown. 

Would be happy to see him in demons colours

I think he would be a better option than Ben Brown at playing the current Ben Brown role.

All we are doing is shortening Brown's career making him stand under high balls.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Bit like tall forwards there isn't really any ready made small forwards that we could chase.

Other then that, I agree with you. Another x factor small like a Pickett/Papley would add a different level of element to our forward mix.

Is Junior Rioli from West Coast to much of a risk? I haven’t seen a lot of him this year but his best is very good and apparently open to a move. 

1 hour ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Doesn't rate them or doesn't rate them more than Kozzie, Spargo and Neal-Bullen?

We are in agreement that there aren't small forwards out there.  Which is why other teams have chased Chandler and are chasing Bedford.  If there was more exposed form they could also be chasing Laurie.

Maybe the club needs to ask Neal-Bullen to look at his trade options again.  Harsh maybe but somehow we need to make room for players in the wings or lose them to other clubs. 

Laurie re-signed this year I'm pretty sure.

I reckon after another pre-season he will play some games next year. Think he just needs to build up his tank a bit more, but I think he will be a player for us long term.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Action Jackson said:

Laurie re-signed this year I'm pretty sure.

I reckon after another pre-season he will play some games next year. Think he just needs to build up his tank a bit more, but I think he will be a player for us long term.

Agreed.  Hence why I wouldn't be chasing a small forward.  We have other list priorities.

• Like 1