Trade and Free Agency rumours

Nascent

5 minutes ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

Which one of the blokes you mentioned plays Harmes’ role? 

I don’t like these moves and I don’t like our young players for immediate help next year (Turner, JvR aside). But Chandler and Laurie will have to play at least some midfield time to make it at afl level, they’re 5th mid options. ANB could also be retrained as a mid too, his run would give us a point of difference we need there. Skills doesn’t help but he might be ready for that.

Hunter could be cheap wing cover. 

If we snag a top 10 pick they might be ready to go for class on a forward flank. Maybe.

Just now, DeeSpencer said:

I don’t like these moves and I don’t like our young players for immediate help next year (Turner, JvR aside). But Chandler and Laurie will have to play at least some midfield time to make it at afl level, they’re 5th mid options. ANB could also be retrained as a mid too, his run would give us a point of difference we need there. Skills doesn’t help but he might be ready for that.

Hunter could be cheap wing cover. 

If we snag a top 10 pick they might be ready to go for class on a forward flank. Maybe.

ANB as a midfielder …that’s a 😂.. bloke would fumble the ball constantly in that much traffic. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

ANB as a midfielder …that’s a 😂.. bloke would fumble the ball constantly in that much traffic. 

Maybe, maybe not. He’s physically mature now and could get cleaner in congestion with the practice. Midfields a more predictable form of traffic too compared to the half forward pinch point. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

Maybe, maybe not. He’s physically mature now and could get cleaner in congestion with the practice. Midfields a more predictable form of traffic too compared to the half forward pinch point. 

Please!

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 6

Nope I don’t think he has the required awareness or skill to play in the midfield. 

Just now, spirit of norm smith said:

Didn’t work v Neale in the finals !! Gus can play wing or half back but should never be a tagger

He didn't lock down on him, just manned up on him.  Harmes has also had games where his tag opponent has dominated too

1 minute ago, CYB said:

Nope I don’t think he has the required awareness or skill to play in the midfield. 

he pretty much plays a midfield role now, but an outside mid.  He just need to make a few better decisions, like stop taking on tacklers when your 80kg ringing wet.

but not going to ever be an inside mid

4 minutes ago, Travy14 said:

he pretty much plays a midfield role now, but an outside mid.  He just need to make a few better decisions, like stop taking on tacklers when your 80kg ringing wet.

but not going to ever be an inside mid

I'm not suggesting it's a full time role, but who would've had Blicavs, Guthrie and Atkins forming the basis of the Cats premiership midfield a few years back? Plus ANB was getting rotations on ball at the start of 2021 in particular.

One thing we really need to do next year is rotate bigger numbers through the midfield especially early in the season so the big guns aren't tired out by the end of the year. 

If we want to foster a culture of ongoing player development then I'd love to challenge ANB to earn 5 minutes a quarter on ball. It might actually help him make quick decisions and stop trying nonsense like his attempted fends on far bigger players!

• Like 1

Interesting article

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/grundy-to-take-pay-cut-when-he-signs-with-demons-20221003-p5bmvw.html

Collingwood’s All-Australian ruckman Brodie Grundy has signalled that he will take a pay cut when he becomes a Melbourne player in the coming days.

Collingwood want a pick inside 25 for the 2018-19 All-Australian. He had signed a seven-year deal (before he became a free agent) in 2020 that would pay him an average between $920,000-$950,000 with the Demons picking up the lion’s share of the five-year deal, which is understood to be lower in the final two years.

Also

Melbourne have out-of-contract forward Toby Bedford, who has asked to be traded to GWS. Discussions on Monday centred around a deal for a pick in the third round.

The Demons could also potentially offer Bedford and their pick 33 to GWS for pick 21, an exchange that would bring in a suitable pick to do the Grundy deal.

More information in the article but thought these bits were particularly interesting.

Edited by Nascent
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 7

3 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I'm not suggesting it's a full time role, but who would've had Blicavs, Guthrie and Atkins forming the basis of the Cats premiership midfield a few years back? Plus ANB was getting rotations on ball at the start of 2021 in particular.

One thing we really need to do next year is rotate bigger numbers through the midfield especially early in the season so the big guns aren't tired out by the end of the year. 

If we want to foster a culture of ongoing player development then I'd love to challenge ANB to earn 5 minutes a quarter on ball. It might actually help him make quick decisions and stop trying nonsense like his attempted fends on far bigger players!

Yup i agree with you too,

i think it will be Sparrow, Chandler(if he takes Harmes role) and Viney that take up the rotation.  the the likes of ANB and Kossie that get a little bit.  Ideally though you want the big dogs in there when the whips are cracking.

11 minutes ago, Nascent said:

The Demons could also potentially offer Bedford and their pick 33 to GWS for pick 21, an exchange that would bring in a suitable pick to do the Grundy deal.

Someone tried to give me s#%t, for suggesting this exact scenario

Edited by Matt
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, DeeMee said:

Agree. He also said Weid not moving to another club

weid should've gone to the club and asked them if they had heard the names esava ratugolea or billy frampton. 

having listened to the lamb interview and their acceptance that tommo was allowed to go if he can find a suitor it opens up an interesting few options, have we seen someone around the comp to bring in as depth or at vfl level who is cheaper, remembering we do trust smith to play 2nd tall regularly and turner is in favour too so 5 key defenders is possibly too many for balance.

but what does weid do well, jump at packs and not get out marked. what does weid do poorly - run to good positions, actually hold onto marks. as a key defender he can just aimlessly follow his opposition to the ball and just knuckle the thing wherever he pleases. he will easily find himself back at league level either with us or elsewhere in future if he does this

• Facepalm 1

More the point, if nibbler was a mid he wouldn't be redlining at every contest.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

Probably none of them, but I would assume the likes of Jordon and Sparrow might and Viney might do more run with roles if we decide to do any of that next year. 

I am personally happy if Harmes stays but it feels like the club is pushing his move out. 

5 minutes ago, ANG13 said:

Probably none of them, but I would assume the likes of Jordon and Sparrow might and Viney might do more run with roles if we decide to do any of that next year. 

I am personally happy if Harmes stays but it feels like the club is pushing his move out. 

Probably. I think the club is ready for Sparrow and Jordon to cover for Harmes contribution. This combined with Brayshaw getting more midfield time will just push Harmes down the pecking order.

Still holding out hope that we are letting these players go to get salary space for Bowes and pick 7 but haven't read much about this recently.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, BAMF said:

Probably. I think the club is ready for Sparrow and Jordon to cover for Harmes contribution. This combined with Brayshaw getting more midfield time will just push Harmes down the pecking order.

Still holding out hope that we are letting these players go to get salary space for Bowes and pick 7 but haven't read much about this recently.

As sad as it would be to see these guys go that scenario would be worth it 

8 hours ago, Nascent said:

Interesting article

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/grundy-to-take-pay-cut-when-he-signs-with-demons-20221003-p5bmvw.html

Collingwood’s All-Australian ruckman Brodie Grundy has signalled that he will take a pay cut when he becomes a Melbourne player in the coming days.

Collingwood want a pick inside 25 for the 2018-19 All-Australian. He had signed a seven-year deal (before he became a free agent) in 2020 that would pay him an average between $920,000-$950,000 with the Demons picking up the lion’s share of the five-year deal, which is understood to be lower in the final two years.

Also

Melbourne have out-of-contract forward Toby Bedford, who has asked to be traded to GWS. Discussions on Monday centred around a deal for a pick in the third round.

More information in the article but thought these bits were particularly interesting.

Collingwood supporters are dirty on this lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

24 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Collingwood supporters are dirty on this lol

Understandable:

• Collingwood will pay Grundy not to play for Collingwood.
  • Grundy himself will pay not to play for Collingwood.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

11 hours ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

The high half forward role and defensive mid role? That'd be Sparrow.

If it's the little bit of wing Harmes played, then hopefully it's a Tarryn Thomas or at a pinch Lachie Hunter.

• Like 1