Jump to content

Trade and Free Agency rumours


Nascent

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

Which one of the blokes you mentioned plays Harmes’ role? 

I don’t like these moves and I don’t like our young players for immediate help next year (Turner, JvR aside). But Chandler and Laurie will have to play at least some midfield time to make it at afl level, they’re 5th mid options. ANB could also be retrained as a mid too, his run would give us a point of difference we need there. Skills doesn’t help but he might be ready for that.

Hunter could be cheap wing cover. 

If we snag a top 10 pick they might be ready to go for class on a forward flank. Maybe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, DeeSpencer said:

I don’t like these moves and I don’t like our young players for immediate help next year (Turner, JvR aside). But Chandler and Laurie will have to play at least some midfield time to make it at afl level, they’re 5th mid options. ANB could also be retrained as a mid too, his run would give us a point of difference we need there. Skills doesn’t help but he might be ready for that.

Hunter could be cheap wing cover. 

If we snag a top 10 pick they might be ready to go for class on a forward flank. Maybe.

ANB as a midfielder …that’s a 😂.. bloke would fumble the ball constantly in that much traffic. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

ANB as a midfielder …that’s a 😂.. bloke would fumble the ball constantly in that much traffic. 

Maybe, maybe not. He’s physically mature now and could get cleaner in congestion with the practice. Midfields a more predictable form of traffic too compared to the half forward pinch point. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

Maybe, maybe not. He’s physically mature now and could get cleaner in congestion with the practice. Midfields a more predictable form of traffic too compared to the half forward pinch point. 

Please!

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

Maybe, maybe not. He’s physically mature now and could get cleaner in congestion with the practice. Midfields a more predictable form of traffic too compared to the half forward pinch point. 

Nope I don’t think he has the required awareness or skill to play in the midfield. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, spirit of norm smith said:

Didn’t work v Neale in the finals !! Gus can play wing or half back but should never be a tagger

He didn't lock down on him, just manned up on him.  Harmes has also had games where his tag opponent has dominated too

Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 minute ago, CYB said:

Nope I don’t think he has the required awareness or skill to play in the midfield. 

he pretty much plays a midfield role now, but an outside mid.  He just need to make a few better decisions, like stop taking on tacklers when your 80kg ringing wet.

but not going to ever be an inside mid

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Travy14 said:

he pretty much plays a midfield role now, but an outside mid.  He just need to make a few better decisions, like stop taking on tacklers when your 80kg ringing wet.

but not going to ever be an inside mid

I'm not suggesting it's a full time role, but who would've had Blicavs, Guthrie and Atkins forming the basis of the Cats premiership midfield a few years back? Plus ANB was getting rotations on ball at the start of 2021 in particular.

One thing we really need to do next year is rotate bigger numbers through the midfield especially early in the season so the big guns aren't tired out by the end of the year. 

If we want to foster a culture of ongoing player development then I'd love to challenge ANB to earn 5 minutes a quarter on ball. It might actually help him make quick decisions and stop trying nonsense like his attempted fends on far bigger players!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting article

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/grundy-to-take-pay-cut-when-he-signs-with-demons-20221003-p5bmvw.html

 

Collingwood’s All-Australian ruckman Brodie Grundy has signalled that he will take a pay cut when he becomes a Melbourne player in the coming days.

Collingwood want a pick inside 25 for the 2018-19 All-Australian. He had signed a seven-year deal (before he became a free agent) in 2020 that would pay him an average between $920,000-$950,000 with the Demons picking up the lion’s share of the five-year deal, which is understood to be lower in the final two years.

Also

Melbourne have out-of-contract forward Toby Bedford, who has asked to be traded to GWS. Discussions on Monday centred around a deal for a pick in the third round.

The Demons could also potentially offer Bedford and their pick 33 to GWS for pick 21, an exchange that would bring in a suitable pick to do the Grundy deal.

 

More information in the article but thought these bits were particularly interesting.

Edited by Nascent
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I'm not suggesting it's a full time role, but who would've had Blicavs, Guthrie and Atkins forming the basis of the Cats premiership midfield a few years back? Plus ANB was getting rotations on ball at the start of 2021 in particular.

One thing we really need to do next year is rotate bigger numbers through the midfield especially early in the season so the big guns aren't tired out by the end of the year. 

If we want to foster a culture of ongoing player development then I'd love to challenge ANB to earn 5 minutes a quarter on ball. It might actually help him make quick decisions and stop trying nonsense like his attempted fends on far bigger players!

Yup i agree with you too,

i think it will be Sparrow, Chandler(if he takes Harmes role) and Viney that take up the rotation.  the the likes of ANB and Kossie that get a little bit.  Ideally though you want the big dogs in there when the whips are cracking.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Nascent said:

The Demons could also potentially offer Bedford and their pick 33 to GWS for pick 21, an exchange that would bring in a suitable pick to do the Grundy deal.

Someone tried to give me s#%t, for suggesting this exact scenario

Edited by Matt
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, DeeMee said:

Agree. He also said Weid not moving to another club

weid should've gone to the club and asked them if they had heard the names esava ratugolea or billy frampton. 

having listened to the lamb interview and their acceptance that tommo was allowed to go if he can find a suitor it opens up an interesting few options, have we seen someone around the comp to bring in as depth or at vfl level who is cheaper, remembering we do trust smith to play 2nd tall regularly and turner is in favour too so 5 key defenders is possibly too many for balance.

but what does weid do well, jump at packs and not get out marked. what does weid do poorly - run to good positions, actually hold onto marks. as a key defender he can just aimlessly follow his opposition to the ball and just knuckle the thing wherever he pleases. he will easily find himself back at league level either with us or elsewhere in future if he does this

  • Facepalm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

Maybe, maybe not. He’s physically mature now and could get cleaner in congestion with the practice. Midfields a more predictable form of traffic too compared to the half forward pinch point. 

More the point, if nibbler was a mid he wouldn't be redlining at every contest.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

Which one of the blokes you mentioned plays Harmes’ role? 

Probably none of them, but I would assume the likes of Jordon and Sparrow might and Viney might do more run with roles if we decide to do any of that next year. 
 

I am personally happy if Harmes stays but it feels like the club is pushing his move out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, ANG13 said:

Probably none of them, but I would assume the likes of Jordon and Sparrow might and Viney might do more run with roles if we decide to do any of that next year. 
 

I am personally happy if Harmes stays but it feels like the club is pushing his move out. 

Probably. I think the club is ready for Sparrow and Jordon to cover for Harmes contribution. This combined with Brayshaw getting more midfield time will just push Harmes down the pecking order.

Still holding out hope that we are letting these players go to get salary space for Bowes and pick 7 but haven't read much about this recently.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, BAMF said:

Probably. I think the club is ready for Sparrow and Jordon to cover for Harmes contribution. This combined with Brayshaw getting more midfield time will just push Harmes down the pecking order.

Still holding out hope that we are letting these players go to get salary space for Bowes and pick 7 but haven't read much about this recently.

As sad as it would be to see these guys go that scenario would be worth it 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


8 hours ago, Nascent said:

Interesting article

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/grundy-to-take-pay-cut-when-he-signs-with-demons-20221003-p5bmvw.html

 

Collingwood’s All-Australian ruckman Brodie Grundy has signalled that he will take a pay cut when he becomes a Melbourne player in the coming days.

Collingwood want a pick inside 25 for the 2018-19 All-Australian. He had signed a seven-year deal (before he became a free agent) in 2020 that would pay him an average between $920,000-$950,000 with the Demons picking up the lion’s share of the five-year deal, which is understood to be lower in the final two years.

Also

Melbourne have out-of-contract forward Toby Bedford, who has asked to be traded to GWS. Discussions on Monday centred around a deal for a pick in the third round.

The Demons could also potentially offer Bedford and their pick 33 to GWS for pick 21, an exchange that would bring in a suitable pick to do the Grundy deal.

 

More information in the article but thought these bits were particularly interesting.

Collingwood supporters are dirty on this lol

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Collingwood supporters are dirty on this lol

Understandable:

  • Collingwood will pay Grundy not to play for Collingwood.
  • Grundy himself will pay not to play for Collingwood.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

Which one of the blokes you mentioned plays Harmes’ role? 

The high half forward role and defensive mid role? That'd be Sparrow.

If it's the little bit of wing Harmes played, then hopefully it's a Tarryn Thomas or at a pinch Lachie Hunter.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    THE BLOW by Whispering Jack

    Narrm’s finals prospects took a crushing blow after the team’s insipid performance at Optus Stadium against a confident Waaljit Marawar in the first of its Doug Nicholls Round outings for 2024.  I use the description “crushing blow” advisedly because, although the season is not yet at it’s halfway mark, the Demons have now failed abysmally in two of their games against teams currently occupying bottom eight places on the ladder.  The manner in which these losing games were played out w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 6

    HALF FULL by KC from Casey

    It was a case of the Casey Demons going into a game with a glass half full in their match up against the Brisbane Lions at Casey Fields on Saturday. As the list of injured and unavailable AFL and VFL listed players continues to grow and with Melbourne taking all three emergencies to Perth for the weekend on a “just in case” basis, its little brother was always destined to struggle. Casey was left with only eight AFL listed players from who to select their team but only two - an out-of-form

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    PREGAME: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    The Demons return to the MCG to take on the Saints in Round 11 on the back of two straight losses in a row. With Jake Lever out with concussion who comes in and who goes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 226

    PODCAST: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Monday, 20th May @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we dissect the Demons disaapoiting performance against the Eagles at Optus Stadium in Round 10. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 43

    VOTES: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    Last week Captain Max Gawn consolidated his lead over reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Steven May, Alex Neal-Bullen & Jake Lever make up the Top 5. Your votes for the loss against the Blues. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 37

    POSTGAME: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    Many warned that this was a danger game and the Demons were totally outclassed all game by a young Eagles team at Optus Stadium in Perth as they were defeated by 35 points.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 445

    GAMEDAY: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    It's Game Day and the Demons have returned to the site of their drought breaking Premiership to take on the West Coast Eagles in what could very well be a danger game for Narrm at Optus Stadium. A win and a percentage boost will keep the Dees in top four contention whilst a loss will cast doubt on the Dees flag credentials and bring them back to the pack fighting for a spot in the 8 as we fast approach the halfway point of the season.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 884

    WARNING by William from Waalitj

    As a long term resident of Waalitj Marawar, I am moved to warn my fellow Narrm fans that a  danger game awaits. The locals are no longer the easybeats who stumbled, fumbled and bumbled their way to the good fortune of gathering the number one draft pick and a generational player in Harley Reid last year. They are definitely better than they were then.   Young Harley has already proven his worth with some stellar performances for a first year kid playing among men. He’s taken hangers, k

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 22

    OVER YET? by KC from Casey

    The Friday evening rush hour clash of two of the VFL’s 2024 minnows, Carlton and the Casey Demons was excruciatingly painful to watch, even if it was for the most part a close encounter. I suppose that since the game had to produce a result (a tie would have done the game some justice), the four points that went to Casey with the win, were fully justified because they went to the best team. In that respect, my opinion is based on the fact that the Blues were a lopsided combination that had

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...