Jump to content

Trade and Free Agency rumours


Nascent

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, adonski said:

Jordon straight back in

Perhaps Lachie Hunter on the way too?

Lachie is good - at playing on when the ball clearly goes out of bound, surprising his opponents 80% of the time... Cant see much else...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, adonski said:

Jordon straight back in

Perhaps Lachie Hunter on the way too?

Chandler, Disco, JVR, Dunstan, Smith, Thommo.
 

forwards, mids and backs.

 

purposely left out the younger dudes. 
 

As you said, who we recruit. 
 

it’s not doomsday 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Gorgoroth said:

I don’t get that we don’t tag. I would each week. Doesn’t have to be a hard tag but FFS Harmes has done very good jobs on the best, use him each week to nullify their best. Seems dumb not to.

And so much upside in that he gives back with breakaway speed and grunt - and we lack speed

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Gorgoroth said:

I don’t get that we don’t tag. I would each week. Doesn’t have to be a hard tag but FFS Harmes has done very good jobs on the best, use him each week to nullify their best. Seems dumb not to.

What if playing a tagger means that the opposition is able to chip the ball easily through a weakened zone, rather than be forced to kick the ball down the line to Max, May, Lever and Harry.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Axis of Bob said:

What if playing a tagger means that the opposition is able to chip the ball easily through a weakened zone, rather than be forced to kick the ball down the line to Max, May, Lever and Harry.

Well they didn’t Need chip it around this year they slices us open at will.
And seriously if you have a game plan that involves a tagger you essentially set up a 17 v 17 zone. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 minutes ago, Travy14 said:

I do think Brayshaw can play the lock down mid role if we need it in a game.  

It's an interesting conundrum. Do you back your own midfield and system to win 51% of the clearances and get good post clearance possession, or do you bring someone into the midfield, that actually depletes the opportunity ratio to do so, yet can (but not definitely) influence the opposition midfield possessions in the negative?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, fr_ap said:

Out of curiosity, who are the depth/youth at Casey gunning for his spot? 

Ive been vocal about how we didn't rotate the squad and blood new players, but young midfield depth is not really something we have. You could make an argument for Laurie, but he's not nearly as versatile or strong as Harmes on the ground or in the air...Bedford was one but is now gone. Who's the one to take his spot? Jordon could but not very dynamic and that creates a need for another winger - Howes hasn't shown much...

Jordon slows the game down beyond belief. Completely stifles our ball movement. Pushes back behind his mark and waits and waits before kicking down the line to a contest. If that’s the way we are headed, things will look like the 2nd half of 22.

I don’t mind losing Harmes, but seriously, we have to get some experienced blokes in to replace what is going out. The clubs around us are getting talent in. I know it’s early days, but we seem to be looking solely at Grundy. I don’t see that addressing the issues we had in 2022. Tht doesn’t mean he isn’t a good LJ replacement, but this team needs some better ball users and added pace. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Certainly feels like the club is taking the opportunity to have a cull of experienced players on low to moderate salaries to give some youngsters a go. Which potentially frees up some cap space to keep the likes of Petty and Pickett on long term deals. 
 

It’s a bit sad seeing Hunt, possibly Harmes and a lesser extent Tomlinson going elsewhere next year but we need to get better and we need to give some of our younger players a go. 


 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

but this team needs some better ball users and added pace. 

Every team does in different degrees. There's also a danger we overreact on this year and stuff our cap up next year.  How many teams are bringing in a Tom McDonald and Jacob Van Rooyen? We might be underestimating the impact a functional forward line might've had on this season. Instead of being up by 25-35 by half time, we might be talking insurmountable leads. Confidence to convert scores also breeds confidence in skill and speed. 

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ANG13 said:

Certainly feels like the club is taking the opportunity to have a cull of experienced players on low to moderate salaries to give some youngsters a go. Which potentially frees up some cap space to keep the likes of Petty and Pickett on long term deals. 
 

It’s a bit sad seeing Hunt, possibly Harmes and a lesser extent Tomlinson going elsewhere next year but we need to get better and we need to give some of our younger players a go. 


 

 

What younger players are we giving a go? Chandler? Who else “needs a go?”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

Jordon slows the game down beyond belief. Completely stifles our ball movement. Pushes back behind his mark and waits and waits before kicking down the line to a contest. If that’s the way we are headed, things will look like the 2nd half of 22.

I don’t mind losing Harmes, but seriously, we have to get some experienced blokes in to replace what is going out. The clubs around us are getting talent in. I know it’s early days, but we seem to be looking solely at Grundy. I don’t see that addressing the issues we had in 2022. Tht doesn’t mean he isn’t a good LJ replacement, but this team needs some better ball users and added pace. 

Jordon was coming 4th in the best and fairest after Rd 16 and was probably heading for a top 6 finish if injury didn't strike him down. Sure, he's not a line breaking natural winger but he cracks in, defends brilliantly, hits targets and plays team first footy. And he's only 21.

Thought he had a fine season.

Edited by RedFox
  • Like 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

What younger players are we giving a go? Chandler? Who else “needs a go?”

The same young guys who aren’t even trusted to have a proper go at Casey. Battling away in peripheral roles. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 minute ago, DeeSpencer said:

The same young guys who aren’t even trusted to have a proper go at Casey. Battling away in peripheral roles. 

Woey is on a wing, Chandler into the middle and forward where he is a chance in the AFL, Bedford and Laurie the same, JVR as CHF and occasional ruck. I don’t know what you are talking about.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Travy14 said:

Chandler will be first in line for that spot.  also but i see Sparrow getting more minutes in that role now

I think Sparrow has more upside too. He is a tougher mid and better kick. He just needs more experience. 
 

I think Bowey comes in for Hunt, Taj probably gets a few looks at some stage on as either HF or wing, Turner is ahead of Tommo and  chandler ahead of Bedford now.   We also have JJ that was out late in the year. TMac also comes back from injury and you have Grundy for LJ. Then JVR gets some games too.

The question is where does the talent go in VFL without these players.

None of the players we are losing have any upside left - they are a known quantity. We know their best and most couldn’t make the 23 anymore. So in IMV the refresh is a good thing as we are getting more youth into the squad.

 

Edited by CYB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We're turning over the list which is what a lot of people on here want. Hope we are smart about it though as Jackson, Hunt and Harmes were for the most part best 22 this year. Can't see Baker surviving either so I wonder if we do have a cheap depth player in sight rather than drafting 5-6 kids.

  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

What younger players are we giving a go? Chandler? Who else “needs a go?”

Just my opinion but I think the club will be looking at Bowey, Chandler, Laurie and Turner to step up next year and replace the likes of Hunt, Harmes and Tomlinson. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, CYB said:

I think Sparrow has more upside too. He is a tougher mid and better kick. He just needs more experience. 
 

I think Bowey comes in for Hunt, Taj probably gets a few looks at some stage on as either HF or wing, Turner is ahead of Tommo and  chandler ahead of Bedford now.   We also have JJ that was out late in the year. TMac also comes back from injury and you have Grundy for LJ. Then JVR gets some games too.

The question is where does the talent go in VFL without hear players.

None of the players we are losing has any left upside. We know their best and most couldn’t make the 23. So in IMV the refresh is a good thing as we are getting more youth into the squad.

 

A bit harsh on Bedford. I think his best is coming. Unfortunately not with us.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, djr said:

A bit harsh on Bedford. I think his best is coming. Unfortunately not with us.

Maybe a little. But he has no defensive accountability (yet) whereas Chandler you feel is a much more rounded player. 
 

You feel for Chandlers 2 game suspension this year as he probably would have  gone on to have a bigger impact in the following weeks. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    THE BLOW by Whispering Jack

    Narrm’s finals prospects took a crushing blow after the team’s insipid performance at Optus Stadium against a confident Waaljit Marawar in the first of its Doug Nicholls Round outings for 2024.  I use the description “crushing blow” advisedly because, although the season is not yet at it’s halfway mark, the Demons have now failed abysmally in two of their games against teams currently occupying bottom eight places on the ladder.  The manner in which these losing games were played out w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 6

    HALF FULL by KC from Casey

    It was a case of the Casey Demons going into a game with a glass half full in their match up against the Brisbane Lions at Casey Fields on Saturday. As the list of injured and unavailable AFL and VFL listed players continues to grow and with Melbourne taking all three emergencies to Perth for the weekend on a “just in case” basis, its little brother was always destined to struggle. Casey was left with only eight AFL listed players from who to select their team but only two - an out-of-form

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    PREGAME: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    The Demons return to the MCG to take on the Saints in Round 11 on the back of two straight losses in a row. With Jake Lever out with concussion who comes in and who goes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 226

    PODCAST: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Monday, 20th May @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we dissect the Demons disaapoiting performance against the Eagles at Optus Stadium in Round 10. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 43

    VOTES: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    Last week Captain Max Gawn consolidated his lead over reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Steven May, Alex Neal-Bullen & Jake Lever make up the Top 5. Your votes for the loss against the Blues. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 37

    POSTGAME: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    Many warned that this was a danger game and the Demons were totally outclassed all game by a young Eagles team at Optus Stadium in Perth as they were defeated by 35 points.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 445

    GAMEDAY: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    It's Game Day and the Demons have returned to the site of their drought breaking Premiership to take on the West Coast Eagles in what could very well be a danger game for Narrm at Optus Stadium. A win and a percentage boost will keep the Dees in top four contention whilst a loss will cast doubt on the Dees flag credentials and bring them back to the pack fighting for a spot in the 8 as we fast approach the halfway point of the season.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 884

    WARNING by William from Waalitj

    As a long term resident of Waalitj Marawar, I am moved to warn my fellow Narrm fans that a  danger game awaits. The locals are no longer the easybeats who stumbled, fumbled and bumbled their way to the good fortune of gathering the number one draft pick and a generational player in Harley Reid last year. They are definitely better than they were then.   Young Harley has already proven his worth with some stellar performances for a first year kid playing among men. He’s taken hangers, k

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 22

    OVER YET? by KC from Casey

    The Friday evening rush hour clash of two of the VFL’s 2024 minnows, Carlton and the Casey Demons was excruciatingly painful to watch, even if it was for the most part a close encounter. I suppose that since the game had to produce a result (a tie would have done the game some justice), the four points that went to Casey with the win, were fully justified because they went to the best team. In that respect, my opinion is based on the fact that the Blues were a lopsided combination that had

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...