• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CHANGES: Rd 05 vs GWS

Demonland

4 minutes ago, tdavis said:

WOW.  Most uncharacteristic of Ben. 

How did this escape the keen eyes of our DL Casey followers!

Sam gets another go.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, tdavis said:

Looks like Weideman will stay in the side. Haven’t seen the incident but that sounds incredibly out of character for Ben Brown.

Bizarre! Literally the last bloke in the league you'd think would get suspended for anything, let alone striking.

• Like 4
  • Shocked 1

I saw the incident live. It was a coat-hanger tackle early on in the game. It was a clear free kick, and I thought a harsh judge could make a case for a fine or even a week, but two weeks for that?!? Seems outrageous to me. 

EDIT: Different incident my apologies!

Edited by Bang Bang Bang
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Difficult to appeal the BB suspension because if the two weeks is upheld he misses vs Tigers on ANZAC Eve.  If he accepts the one week he just misses the Giants game.

Still flabbergasted!

Any vision floating around.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bang Bang Bang said:

I saw the incident live. It was a coat-hanger tackle early on in the game. It was a clear free kick, and I thought a harsh judge could make a case for a fine or even a week, but two weeks for that?!? Seems outrageous to me. 

Did the other guy leave the field or was concussed?

Edited by Lucifers Hero

2 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Did the other guy leave the field or was concussed?

He got straight up to take his kick. Can only assume the doctor's report stitched Ben up or the VFL have a different set of rules to the MRO. You have to do some pretty bad damage to get two weeks in the AFL. 

By the way, there may be another incident I didn't catch (didn't watch the full game) - but knowing Ben Brown this tackle is highly likely to be the incident. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Bang Bang Bang said:

Where did it happen?

I was in the stands in the first quarter and we were kicking to the stand end and i don't recall it. Definitely no injury break in play or Willy player taken off the ground - so no concussion i don't think (though its possible they tested him at a break and he didn't come back on)   

Might explain why they were into him the whole match. They barely gave him a moment of peace - and atone point he got bowled over by his opponent, number 29, when the ball was miles away (i happened to be watching him on binos because of the ongoing niggle and i thought that incident was borderline reportable) 

Would be amazing given Mitch Brown was knocked out last week, didn't play this week and far as i know no report was made despite it being clearly caught on camera (you can see it in the replay)

Edited by binman
  • Vomit 1

18 minutes ago, Bang Bang Bang said:

He got straight up to take his kick. Can only assume the doctor's report stitched Ben up or the VFL have a different set of rules to the MRO. You have to do some pretty bad damage to get two weeks in the AFL. 

By the way, there may be another incident I didn't catch (didn't watch the full game) - but knowing Ben Brown this tackle is highly likely to be the incident. 

Thanks.

Based on the AFL 'calculator' it looks like it was rated:  Careless, Medium Impact, High Contact.  If it was rated as Careless, Low Impact, High Contact it would just be a fine.

If the guy just bounced up it is hard to see how it was rated 'Medium'.  I would think the VFL would have to rate incidents on AFL rules, especially for AFL listed players.

Edit:  Just saw the report:

It was classed as intentional conduct with low impact and high contact for a two-match ban which can be reduced to a one-game sanction. https://www.afl.com.au/news/740734/from-h-s-protocols-to-vfl-ban-flag-demon-s-return-on-hold-again.

Edited by Lucifers Hero

3 minutes ago, Bang Bang Bang said:

Or just a different person as the MRO. 

I'm not judging the VFL MRO's decision, but the process is always going to be very subjective and different people can come to differing views on the same incident even using the same process.

10 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

If this the incident, Ben has a hand on the ball and the guy has floppy knees..

It's not that incident.

Photo caption is: "Ben Brown tackles Teia Miles high..."

Report says: "two-game suspension for striking Williamstown's Max Philpot"

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

It's not that incident.

Thanks.  Dumb caption not relevant to the story.  Just confuses the whole thing.

Have taken the photo still out of my post to avoid creating further confusion.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 1

Well this could make the decision simple. Give Brown the week off to get fit and firing, if both have good games then BBB plays VFL, if one has a poor game then they make way for Ben, if they both have poor games then I’d say Weid has had his shot and he makes way. 

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

16 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

It's not that incident.

Pretty sure that I was commenting on the tackle captured in the photo, so please disregard my initial commentary on the matter.  Clearly Ben is a naughtier boy than I thought, two incidents in one game! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Looks like he hit him with the elbow or the forearm, behind play when unsuspecting.

I think we will accept the one week.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Graeme Yeats' Mullet said:

Lucky to get offered 1, pretty blatant

It was classed as intentional conduct with low impact and high contact for a two-match ban which can be reduced to a one-game sanction. https://www.afl.com.au/news/740734/from-h-s-protocols-to-vfl-ban-flag-demon-s-return-on-hold-again.

Looks about right...it might be a reprieve for Tommy or Weid...then again we might try something else.

• Like 2

Don't think Benny meant to flush him and unfortunately he'll have to cop the week, but the Willy defender deserved every bit of it.

It's completely dodgy off the ball blocking and it's coming in to Brown's space to create contact way off the ball.

The defender leaves his direct opponent to block Brown and comes in right at him with his arms up to block him. The kind of motion that's seen Ryder in trouble this week.

Doesn't justify flushing him on the chin but Brown was well within his rights to strike at him because he's flat out cheating and making completely unnecessary contact.

Cut out the off ball cheating and you cut out the contact entirely.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Coming a week after Mitch Brown was put out of the game against Essendon and at least another week by a blow behind the play, this sounds like cruel justice to me.

F#*K DOUBLE AND TRIPPLE F#*K

So BBB gets done for that?? YET the imjectiondon incident which outed Mitch Brown goes unpunished? RUBBISH VFL GARBAGE

• Like 1
  • Vomit 2

19 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

I just saw the vision on Twitter. How in the hell is that 2 weeks? Talk about tall poppy syndrome 

Because you can't elbow a bloke to the head area. 

Regardless of what people think he deserves the 2 weeks. 

The AFL are trying to stamp out this behind the play stuff. If he's had a delay concussion out of this then it justifies a suspension. 

Braydon Pruess copped the same suspension for his exact same act.

The head area is sacred.  Pretty simple.

• Like 4