Jump to content

  • Podcast: 2021 Season Review  

  • Podcast: 2021 Season Review  

Welcome to Demonland - Pick 37



Recommended Posts

A thread to discuss our second live pick at the 2021 AFL draft.
 
With father/son and NGA selections, as well as the ability of trading picks from now right through to and including draft night, this number is surely going to change before we call out our second player.

While our list is in healthy shape in both age demographic and positional depth, we may look to target a developing Ruck for both insurance for next year and an eye to a post Gawn era. Toby Conway is one we might look at he is still on the board with Cal Twomey ranking him at #26 in his latest form guide and labels him the best ruck prospect in the draft.
 
Toby Conway
Ruckman
 204cm/90kg 
24/4/03
 Geelong Falcons/Vic Country

The best young ruck in the draft who can start things for his midfielders at centre bounces and is also handy around the ground as a drop-back player or move-forward target. Conway, a cousin of Sydney's Tom McCartin and his brother and former Saints forward Paddy, performed well for the Geelong Falcons and Vic Country this season before the season was cut short.
 
If its another midfielder we're after to suppliment the list following the departures of Jones and AVB, Corey Warner from WA might fit the bill. Not ranked in Cal Twomeys top 30, he sneaks into that very same position on draft centrals latest draft rankings.

#30 Corey Warner
East Fremantle/Western Australia - Balanced Midfielder
07/10/2003 - 182cm - 74kg

Snapshot: Warner is a hard-running midfielder who can play both inside and out, breaking forward with intent and a penetrating left foot kick. There is another 'C.Warner' running around, this time of the Corey variety after brother Chad was drafted to Sydney in 2019. The younger sibling skippered Aquinas College this year and managed four League games for East Fremantle, plying his trade out on the wing. He traded that outside role for one at the centre bounces when playing against his peers, averaging 24 disposals in nine Colts games and matching that average across his three finals appearances. While somewhat dependent on his left side, Warner gets good penetration on the end of bursting runs forward, carrying away from the midfield with purpose. He also made a State Under 19s appearance in 2021 and has risen steeply into second round contention. 
 
Links to Cal Twomeys top 30 form guide and Draft Centrals October rankings below

Cal Twomey's Phantom Form Guide: Top draft prospects' September ranking

Draft Central Power Rankings: October 2021

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes Corey Warner would be a gift at this pick, which is likely to be 42-43 after father sons, zoning and NGAs selections.  Other names : 

Isaac Birt. Sth Adelaide.
Judson Clarke. Dandenong Stingrays. 
 

Early days with combine performance and results to possibly push some others up the draft boards  


 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


14 hours ago, Nascent said:

A thread to discuss our second live pick at the 2021 AFL draft.
 
With father/son and NGA selections, as well as the ability of trading picks from now right through to and including draft night, this number is surely going to change before we call out our second player.

While our list is in healthy shape in both age demographic and positional depth, we may look to target a developing Ruck for both insurance for next year and an eye to a post Gawn era. Toby Conway is one we might look at he is still on the board with Cal Twomey ranking him at #26 in his latest form guide and labels him the best ruck prospect in the draft.
 
Toby Conway
Ruckman
 204cm/90kg 
24/4/03
 Geelong Falcons/Vic Country

The best young ruck in the draft who can start things for his midfielders at centre bounces and is also handy around the ground as a drop-back player or move-forward target. Conway, a cousin of Sydney's Tom McCartin and his brother and former Saints forward Paddy, performed well for the Geelong Falcons and Vic Country this season before the season was cut short.
 
If its another midfielder we're after to suppliment the list following the departures of Jones and AVB, Corey Warner from WA might fit the bill. Not ranked in Cal Twomeys top 30, he sneaks into that very same position on draft centrals latest draft rankings.

It’s been written elsewhere that the is a a shortage of young ruck talent available for this draft. That being the case, it’s hard to fathom that the best ruck draft prospect would still be available with our second draft pick at 39 (or wherever that eventually falls).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Colm said:

Dogs pick 23 and pies pick 27 are still up for grabs. Think pick 23 is out of our reach but I’d be surprised if we are not making an offer to the pies. 

Good call on Pies pick.  It comes down to calculators and points per draft pick.  
 

This Dees pick also could be swapped with Saints. Our pick 37 and 57 for a Saints pick 62 and a future 2022 second round pick.  Saints need points in this draft imv

 

Edited by spirit of norm smith
V
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Colm said:

Dogs pick 23 and pies pick 27 are still up for grabs. Think pick 23 is out of our reach but I’d be surprised if we are not making an offer to the pies. 

Can you explain how this would work.  I get confused about the points system as I thought they have to have the same number of list spots as draft picks - to stop teams stock piling on late picks?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just did a phantom draft and I had this pick turning into Pick 40. I think we could be forced to use it on Moniz-Wakefield, however I think we should look to trade this Pick to St Kilda for their future 2nd Round Pick so they have enough point for their two NGA's who are likely to go in the 2nd Round.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, deelusions from afar said:

Can you explain how this would work.  I get confused about the points system as I thought they have to have the same number of list spots as draft picks - to stop teams stock piling on late picks?

Pretty sure they just need to have the points to match on their farther/son pick. Think they already have enough points so we may need to offer a future pick along with 37 to get it done. 
Think every team has to pick 3 player in draft/drafts also. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Blistering said:

It’s been written elsewhere that the is a a shortage of young ruck talent available for this draft. That being the case, it’s hard to fathom that the best draft prospect would still be available with our second draft pick at 39 (or wherever that eventually falls).

Next year is choc full of tall talent inside 20 and Brisbane will need to trade out their first rounder to match a very high bid for Ashcroft. 

https://twitter.com/EdPascoe_eDPS/status/1448408932678987776?s=20

I don’t think we need to overreach for a developing ruck. This year, maybe Cripps an option with our pick in the 40s ( should come in to around 42 after bid matching).

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Good call on Pies pick.  It comes down to calculators and points per draft pick.  
 

This Dees pick also could be swapped with Saints. Our pick 37 and 57 for a Saints pick 62 and a future 2022 second round pick.  Saints need points in this draft imv

 

Lamb said on trade radio after we got pick 17 that we were still trying to move up further. Don’t know if  he was talking about 17 only I’m assuming they would be open to moving up from either 17 or 37. 
The Saints trade would make sense but Lamb also said that we are now in a phase of bringing through a second crop of quality draft picks though around the same age so I’m thinking they will be keener to pick up draft talent this year to complement the likes of Jackson, Pickett, Rivers, Bowie and co. 

Edited by Colm
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Colm said:

Pretty sure they just need to have the points to match on their farther/son pick. Think they already have enough points so we may need to offer a future pick along with 37 to get it done. 
Think every team has to pick 3 player in draft/drafts also. 

I'm pretty sure there is something preventing a club stockpiling picks eg from 40-70 to use on NGA / FS.  I'm sure someone else here can explain how it works

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/14/2021 at 12:45 PM, deelusions from afar said:

I'm pretty sure there is something preventing a club stockpiling picks eg from 40-70 to use on NGA / FS.  I'm sure someone else here can explain how it works

I think there was, but the AFL changed the rules for last year due to COVID and have not yet returned to how they were, if they will at all.

Someone else more knowledgeable in this area might have more info or certainty.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/13/2021 at 11:54 PM, spirit of norm smith said:

Yes Corey Warner would be a gift at this pick, which is likely to be 42-43 after father sons, zoning and NGAs selections.  Other names : 

Isaac Birt. Sth Adelaide.
Judson Clarke. Dandenong Stingrays. 
 

Early days with combine performance and results to possibly push some others up the draft boards  


 


Isn’t it the case that early selections will be added for matched bids, but by the time they get to our pick, other picks will have evaporated due to points consumed to match bids and it will balance out or even bring our pick in earlier? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Mach5 said:


Isn’t it the case that early selections will be added for matched bids, but by the time they get to our pick, other picks will have evaporated due to points consumed to match bids and it will balance out or even bring our pick in earlier? 

Yes good points raised. The matching points required by Dogs and Pies mean their picks evaporate or get shifted back.   Hard to tell and also how and where the NGAs get picked.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/14/2021 at 12:45 PM, deelusions from afar said:

I'm pretty sure there is something preventing a club stockpiling picks eg from 40-70 to use on NGA / FS.  I'm sure someone else here can explain how it works

 

28 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

I think there was, but the AFL changed the rules for last year due to COVID and have not yet returned to how they were, if they will at all.

Someone else more knowledgeable in this area might have more info or certainty.

draft-rule-tweaked

"Sydney, Collingwood, Port Adelaide and the Western Bulldogs are among the clubs who have been given a boost by a rule change on the eve of the NAB AFL Draft"

The tweak has not been revoked this year so the loophole continues..

26 minutes ago, Mach5 said:


Isn’t it the case that early selections will be added for matched bids, but by the time they get to our pick, other picks will have evaporated due to points consumed to match bids and it will balance out or even bring our pick in earlier? 

 

15 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Yes good points raised. The matching points required by Dogs and Pies mean their picks evaporate or get shifted back.   Hard to tell and also how and where the NGAs get picked.  

Our 49 and 57 picks come in quite a bit.

From  the 'Trade in Draft Picks' Thread:

On 10/15/2021 at 9:42 AM, Premiers said:

After trading out their round 2 picks for yet unknown later/future picks:

  • Pies have picks – No.36, 46, 48, 55, 58, 78 and 79
  • Dogs have picks No. 43, 44, 45, 52, 93

We currently have 37, 49, 57 ie 952 draft points.  Once Pies and Dogs use their picks for F/s our picks become 36, 43, 49 ie 1167 draft points.  If Pies/Bulldogs bring in more picks below our #57 it will further improve the value of our picks.

Footnote:  Hope I have the arithmetic right on how our picks move up after Pies and Dogs match F/S.😬  The logic is sound but maybe folks check the calcs before relying on them...

Edited by Premiers
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/14/2021 at 6:54 AM, Blistering said:

It’s been written elsewhere that the is a a shortage of young ruck talent available for this draft. That being the case, it’s hard to fathom that the best ruck draft prospect would still be available with our second draft pick at 39 (or wherever that eventually falls).

Quite possibly right. I've mainly put him there as the club I believe have said they would ideally like another developing ruck on the list and Conway is, allegedly, the best one in the draft.  He is largely predicted to go from the second round onwards.

We then had half a dozen rucks taken in the midseason draft this year which may take other clubs out of the market for a Ruck. Unless you're an exceptional talent like Jackson, Naitinui or Grundy, rucks tend to slide into the back half of the draft. Tigers most likely the risk with 3 consecutive picks at 26, 27 and 28 and most likely in the market for a ruck as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2021 by Whispering Jack

    MUCH ADO ABOUT NOT MUCH The 2021 Free Agency and Trade Periods were billed by Fox Footy as promising a “period like no other and that certainly proved correct but not for the reasons that Network spin suggested when promoting its daily program of news from the trade desk. The truth is that the football public has endured an uneventful and forgettable fortnight unless you perhaps, happen to be a Carlton or a Hawthorn fan. The Blues managed to pick up the biggest name of the trade peri

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE APPRENTICE by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne Next Generation Academy prospect Mac Andrew has had a meteoric rise in the eyes of many track watchers who follow the fortunes of football talent at the elite level. So much so that under the AFL's new rules which prohibit clubs from matching bids on their NGA players within the first 20 selections, there’s a widely held perception that Andrew is falling out of the club’s grasp.   Despite being buoyed by the Demons’ drought-breaking premiership, some fans are showing their a

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 3

    OUR GRAND OLD FLAG by George On The Outer

    When an AFL Grand Final approaches, supporters look for omens to help them foresee how their team will fare in the contest.   Melbourne supporters were, until just before Saturday’s opening bounce, the best in the business at looking for positives to give them hope and direction - a natural feeling after 57 years in the wilderness. So when the Bulldogs’ streamers kept slipping from the handle of the Premiership Cup as Glen Jackovich delivered it to Optus Stadium, they wondered whether it

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE ICING ON THE QUAKE by Whispering Jack

    It’s not Christmas yet but if the Melbourne wins its last game of the 2021 season, then many of its fans will be celebrating early. There already are some parts of our town where the pending festivity is preordained. Houses are decked out with red and blue banners and streamers, some of which appeared as early as last Saturday week, on the morning after the Demons’ magnificent 83-point crushing of Geelong in their preliminary final at Optus Stadium. While it’s great to see the numbers of lo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CAT SKINNING by George On The Outer

    When they defeated the Geelong Cats in the 2021 AFL Preliminary Final on Friday night in Perth, Melbourne proved that there is more than one way to skin those cats.  They did it in the ruck and in the middle, they did it in the forward line, they did it in defence and around the ground, but importantly, each and every player a Demon guernsey spent his night at Optus Stadium skinning an opponent. Following the after-the-siren win against Geelong in Round 23, there was an expectation of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE POINTY END by The Oracle

    The AFL’s two oldest clubs, Melbourne and Geelong, face off on Friday evening in a sudden death Preliminary Final. It’s a game that promises plenty in terms of fascination and intrigue as a result of the rivalry that’s been building between the teams over recent encounters that have been tight struggles which have gone to the wire with two of them decided by after-the-siren goals. The added touch of mystery attached to this week’s meeting comes by virtue of the fact that it’s going to take

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE VFL YEAR THAT NEVER WAS by KC from Casey

    The rising case numbers and the continuing lockdowns in Victoria and NSW spelled doom for the 2021 VFL season which went through a slow, painful demise before its recent official cancellation. After weeks of indecision, the AFL decided to pull the plug on the season with the 10-0 Bulldogs recognised as minor premier, but without a premiership cup and without awarding the J.J. Liston Medal for the best and fairest VFL player. It was somewhat fortuitous for the integrity of the competition th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TAMING THE LIONS by George On The Outer

    With nine finals debutants in the side, the Melbourne Football Club had a daunting assignment ahead of it in the First Qualifying Final — to overcome the competition’s highest scoring side, the Brisbane Lions. In the end, the Demons accomplished the task by putting the bite on their opponents on their way to taming the Lions and recording a 33 point win that propelled them into one the two Preliminary Finals of 2021.   It was one of those debutants, Luke Jackson, who put the bite in more

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RETURN TO NEVERLAND by Whispering Jack

    The greatest Demon A HIGHWAY OF DEMONS by Whispering Jack CHAPTER SIXTEEN - RETURN TO NEVERLAND  I have a six year old grandson who recently took up the family tradition of following the Demons. He had his first taste of the game a few years ago when he went to the “G” with his parents to watch the 107-point massacre of Carlton and he went to another game in the following season which was also a W for the Dees. But his appetite for the club has grown exponentially this year and wh

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 13

    METAMORPHOSIS by Whispering Jack

    I’ve always believed that when the home and away matches come to an end, the football season takes on a completely different shape and character. During the regular season, each team’s goals progress as the weeks pass and if you’re good enough to survive and make the grade, the situation changes. The comparison can be made with the life cycle of a butterfly going through stages from egg to larva to caterpillar, cocoon and in the end to a bright and colourful creature that emerges from darkness i

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STEALING THE CATS’ CREAM by George On The Outer

    They were leading by 44 points well into the third quarter of a game to decide the minor premier, having kicked nine unanswered goals. The Cats were about to lap up their bowl of cream, dreaming of next week but the Demons led by Max Gawn had other ideas. In a stunning finish, they stole the game from under them to claim the plaudits as best team and top of ladder position. In a remarkable game, it all came down to Max having to kick the winning goal after the final siren, something which s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SKIN THE CATS by Whispering Jack

    The task ahead for the Demons as they wend their way down the Princes Freeway to Geelong on Saturday night will be to skin the Cats. For them to come away with the points from this game would mark an historic occasion for the club as it will finish on top of the ladder for the first time since its last premiership year, 1964. And it was in that year, that a trip to Corio Bay to meet the reigning premiers in Round 12, was one of the catalysts for Melbourne’s surge to the flag. It was a top o

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!
×
×
  • Create New...