AFL TRADE NEWS AND RUMOURS 

Whispering_Jack

25 minutes ago, Stiff Arm said:

Sam Weideman says hi

Marc Murphy too

You seem sure of yourself.

The story isnt over for Sam. Id be surprised if they aren't initiating conversations.

Marc Murphy had the opportunity to play where his father John played at the Lions and balked.

• Like 1

Michael Green's family was local royalty out Essex Heights way when I was a kid, as was David Parkin over the road and Graeme Arthur over the back fence. Miss Green (M.Green's sister) was my teacher. Must be Tom Greens great aunt! The Greens had a double story imperious brick Edwardian house that stood out among the weatherboards.

2 hours ago, A F said:

If their price was affordable, I'd target Hopper and Taranto too. If Clarry or Petracca goes down, our midfield will really struggle. Need to add more here and both are 24 and 23 respectively. A good age for the demographic of our list.

And before anyone says our midfield is the finished product in terms of contested ball players, let's look at a side on the up like Essendon. They have Merrett, Parish, Shiel, Stringer, Caldwell, Langford and McGrath who is probably more outside. Compare that will Oliver, Petracca, Harmes, Jordon, Viney, Brayshaw and Langdon on the outside. I reckon we still need at least one more maybe two contested players. One could be Rivers. I'd be importing another.

Edited by A F
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, A F said:

And before anyone says our midfield is the finished product in terms of contested ball players, let's look at a side on the up like Essendon. They have Merrett, Parish, Shiel, Stringer, Caldwell, Langford and McGrath who is probably more outside. Compare that will Oliver, Petracca, Harmes, Jordon, Viney, Brayshaw and Langdon on the outside. I reckon we still need at least one more maybe two contested players. One could be Rivers. We need to import another.

I am firmly in the same camp. Think we are probably 2 quality mids off the pace of the best midfields. Yes, we can beat sides but we have been very blessed with both of Clarry and Trac's durability - That won't happen forever.

I'm very bullish on Jordon and can see Sparrow making the grade. In my eyes it all comes down to another proper, quick winger and a workhorse mid that fills the gap between Clarry/Trac and the rest

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A F said:

Unless he wants to go, it's not a great look shipping off your captain.

Stephen May says high, too

17 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Riccardi showed a bit in his first few games, might be worth having a crack at him over another mid like Green

He is one I would I would seriously look at, as he could complete our required key position players. He would not be expensive and would allow us to get rid of a couple of players and GWS with the Kelly extension will need salary cap relief.

1 hour ago, A F said:

And before anyone says our midfield is the finished product in terms of contested ball players, let's look at a side on the up like Essendon. They have Merrett, Parish, Shiel, Stringer, Caldwell, Langford and McGrath who is probably more outside. Compare that will Oliver, Petracca, Harmes, Jordon, Viney, Brayshaw and Langdon on the outside. I reckon we still need at least one more maybe two contested players. One could be Rivers. We need to import another.

We would be better off allocating our finite resources to highly skilled players on the outside and forward half. Just by having gun rucks and Petracca and Oliver we are already well placed for inside ball winning.

The main issue with our midfield is that they are not great kicks.

There are only 240 minutes to go around for inside mids and Oliver and Petracca take up 120-130 of them. And Viney and Harmes are on long-term deals and play their best footy in the midfield. Plus Brayshaw is an inside midfielder playing on the wing.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, A F said:

I'd be all over GWS' Tom Green. He will explode soon and his inclusion would enable us to be less reliant on Clarry and give us more midfield depth.

Agree, will be a great player.

but see him as a “poor man’s Clarry”.....In my view we be better of focusing on complimentary outside mid class/skill, rather than more of the same. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deefender said:

Dylan Stephens would be good if there was no room for him at the Swans.

Don't know much about him, he is a winger isn't he.

Wasn't he taken high up in his draft and can't get a regular game with the Swans?

They need salary cap space, so if he is good enough and Taylor likes him who knows.

IMO we need to upgrade a winger and then we can move on a couple who would be surplus to needs.

3 hours ago, Mach5 said:

Taranto was the main driver getting GWS into the GF against Richmond. 
Hopper is good, but Taranto is a jet.

Go after Hopper because he’d be much more affordable.

Seems like Taranto can only play in the guts, though. Would push viney/Harmes/Brayshaw out further.

• Like 2

Seriously @A F - you're living in dreamland if you think we can afford Hopper, Taranto or Tom Green.

We need to sign Oliver, Jackson, Rivers, Kozzie, Petty, Brayshaw and Fritsch to long term deals over the next two years.

We need to be shopping in the role player bin.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Damo said:

You seem sure of yourself.

The story isnt over for Sam. Id be surprised if they aren't initiating conversations.

Marc Murphy had the opportunity to play where his father John played at the Lions and balked.

Murphy's grandfather (Leo) played over 100 games for the Hawks as well.

I'm not so sure of anything Damo, but doubt Green's choice would be influenced much by who his Pop played for.

We shall see.

Edited by Stiff Arm

3 hours ago, deefender said:

Dylan Stephens would be good if there was no room for him at the Swans.

38 minutes ago, deefender said:

Stephens was taken at # 5 in the same year as Kosi and Jackson. He is suited to the centre.

31 minutes ago, adonski said:

Swans fans don't seem to think he's suited to any position

People were shocked he went that high in the draft. They could have had Serong and others. He was picked for his elite running and elite skills. Unfortunately so far has played on the wing and really struggled to get in to games. Easily knocked off the ball. Not a strong competitor. In theory exactly what we need on the wing, in practice a bust so far. To be fair the wing is an incredibly hard position to get on top of as we've seen from a few of our boys put out there so he may come good over time. There were rumours Jordan Dawson might have wanted to go home. He's an absolute jet.I was super excited about that if we could get him until my son told me home is SA not Vic and it looks like he's about to resign. Alas. 

• Like 1

• SEN’s Sam Edmund said this morning that North Melbourne free agent Trent Dumont could be on the move at season’s end. He is seen as a “gettable” for rival clubs and has previously attracted interest from rivals including Essendon. Edmund believes a move home to Port Adelaide could make sense.

• Vomit 1