• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CHANGES: Rd 17 vs Port Adelaide

Hellofatime

1 hour ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Why?

He's the best set shot at the club and has kicked a tidy 42.20 over his career.

We lost a game directly due to our disgraceful kicking for goal on the weekend. Wouldn't it be a good idea to address that issue and play someone who's competent around goals?

If we do, we are desperate.  He works off hb running with Langdon well.  When he can have a target ahead of him and involved in a chain he has been at his best.  Forward we need marking, tackling, groundball less than running, so play him where he has the greatest chance to shine.  Forward we should have other options like chandler if Kozzi needs a week.  In game throw the magnets around.  But I don’t think we are at that point yet of needing Hunt to change roles.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lord Nev said:

Surely then we're bringing in Daw if that is the criteria?

If Daw can sort out our goal kicking woes then bring him in.

It's demoralising watching the Gawns, the T Macs, the Petraccas, the Weidemans, the Picketts etc miss set shots week in week out, quarter in quarter out.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, bluey said:

It’s time for the Weed.

NUP He has been found wanting time and again once he plays.What is the piont of recruiting a 60 goal a year key forward in BB if you arent going to play him. His time is now, and the more I see of Weeds the more I think he will be an excellent VFL Forward that can't make the transition to AFL!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

If Daw can sort out our goal kicking woes then bring him in.

It's demoralising watching the Gawns, the T Macs, the Petraccas, the Weidemans, the Picketts etc miss set shots week in week out, quarter in quarter out.

Perhaps there should be more heat on our goal kicking coach too? Is it still Stafford?

• Like 3

I've been a long time Viney critic, but I wouldn't be writing him off just yet. I reckon he'll play higher TOG against Port and lay 8+ tackles.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, A F said:

I've been a long time Viney critic, but I wouldn't be writing him off just yet. I reckon he'll play higher TOG against Port and lay 8+ tackles.

His TOG hasn't been that low though. It's roughly around his usual average since coming back.

Rounds 1- 6: 75.8%
Rounds 15 - 16: 75.5%

The thing I would like to see is Viney spending more time forward like he did earlier in the year. We seemed to have the midfield mix better than and he was delivering the ball well inside 50. Against GWS he was very much in the middle and it just didn't seem to work.

Edited by Lord Nev
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

His TOG hasn't been that low though. It's roughly around his usual average since coming back.

Rounds 1- 6: 75.8%
Rounds 15 - 16: 75.5%

The thing I would like to see is Viney spending more time forward like he did earlier in the year. We seemed to have the midfield mix better than and he was delivering the ball well inside 50. Against GWS he was very much in the middle and it just didn't seem to work.

True but look at the progression in those first five games:

1. Round 2 (his first game) - 66%
  2. Round 3 - 73%
  3. Round 4 - 82%
  4. Round 5 - 79%
  5. Round 6 - 79%

He's come back and started at 74% vs Essendon and now 77% vs Port, so based on prior trends I'd be expecting him to scale up and play around 80%, or hopefully a touch more, of the Port game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, titan_uranus said:

True but look at the progression in those first five games:

1. Round 2 (his first game) - 66%
  2. Round 3 - 73%
  3. Round 4 - 82%
  4. Round 5 - 79%
  5. Round 6 - 79%

He's come back and started at 74% vs Essendon and now 77% vs Port, so based on prior trends I'd be expecting him to scale up and play around 80%, or hopefully a touch more, of the Port game.

Maybe, although it went backwards in rounds 5-6 so I don't know how much of a pattern it is.

Either way, not sure 3% more game time from Viney is going to make much difference, for mine it's more about the role.

I hope the coaches are analysing our set up. Because we play such a full on team defence, every time we won back the ball on Saturday all of our forwards were 75 meters from goal at best, stopping all momentum and chance of finding any space inside forward 50. 

Ben Brown in the man to go no further than CHF and the push forward hard as soon we create a turn over. I’d hate to be defending him one on one in space. 

The other side of this is Kozzie needs to sprint forward as soon as we create a turn over. Using his pace to find space or get front and centre of Brown in a marking contest. 

Edited by Knuckles
  • Like 2

I have my concerns with alot of players if I'm honest and good teams spread the load

We can't keep hoping that May, Lever, Gawn, Tracc, Salem, Max and Oliver do enough for us to win

Need more output from Spargo, Harmes, ANB, Hunt, Viney, Brayshaw

These 6 players are so important and when they don't impact the game or scoreboard then we struggle

2 hours ago, BScotti said:

A bit out there, but Is it a bridge too far to play both BB and Wied?  TMac to move to wing where he was intended to play this season, drop Sparrow and either Brayshaw or Harmes?

You can't have BB, Weid, Tmac, Jackson, Gawn  in the same side.  TMac is our best forward at the moment, Fritsch is kicking goals but not much else, Jackson has chipped in with some goals but looks better in the ruck.  Our No 1 issue is the quality of ball going into our forward line as a forward I bet you look up and Salem with the ball you lead with confidence, not to many other players that you have a great deal of confidence that they will hit you.  Bring in our Tall forward BB and our best ball users Melksham and Bowey(he is ready).  Out take your pick Viney/Sparrow/Hunt/Harmes/Brayshaw, love to see a brave call from the coaching panel drop Viney/Harmes/Brayshaw

Just now, Lord Nev said:

He's been playing well, but he's been high up the ground, has only kicked 1 goal in the last 3 games.

I have a theory they have moved Tmac higher in a CHF capacity in anticipation for the return of BBB to FF.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Lord Nev said:

He's been playing well, but he's been high up the ground, has only kicked 1 goal in the last 3 games.

Should have kicked more, has missed a few that he should have kicked.  I also think he is high up the ground as our ball movement has been very stagnate over the past month, we don't seem to have that run and dare that we had V Bne and dogs. 

Just now, Win4theAges said:

I have a theory they have moved Tmac higher in a CHF capacity in anticipation for the return of BBB to FF.

Mmmmm not sold on that mate. Wouldn't make sense to do that when Brown isn't even in the team.

My theory is that because we've been getting smashed at centre clearances we've been launching even more from the backline meaning we're having to go long around the boundary which then means TMac (and Fritsch if you look at heat maps) are having to come way up the ground.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, drdrake said:

Should have kicked more, has missed a few that he should have kicked.  I also think he is high up the ground as our ball movement has been very stagnate over the past month, we don't seem to have that run and dare that we had V Bne and dogs. 

Kicking has been off for sure, and totally agree on the ball movement (see above post).

TMac's heat map from the GWS game is an absolute nightmare compared to our earlier games.

2 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Mmmmm not sold on that mate. Wouldn't make sense to do that when Brown isn't even in the team.

My theory is that because we've been getting smashed at centre clearances we've been launching even more from the backline meaning we're having to go long around the boundary which then means TMac (and Fritsch if you look at heat maps) are having to come way up the ground.

This spot on, you win the clearances you get to chance to set up your defence high, press to keep the ball in your forward half.  You lose the clearance the opposition gets to do this so your forwards need to push up to be the option out of the backline.  I don't know why a team with a dominate ruckman nearly always sets up for a defensive tap, once you hit the ball backwards like Max does most of the time, if you dont get clean ball it opens up for the opposition, also no idea why in defensive 50m arc you hit goal side.

• Like 1

Justin Leppitsch has noted via SEN that we are lacking line breaking/penetrating Half Backs who can open games up.

It ties in with the notably more defensive style in which we are playing at the moment.

Hibbo is being used for shut down roles, Rivers is staying a lot closer to his man, Lever, May and Petty are not run and gun players either and Salem is a short kick type.

Hunt was having a go and Rivers has a decent leg on him, but we are now a very stagnant back half.

This also ties in with why T-Mac is getting the ball so high up, we are moving the ball slowly and he is the release from inside defensive 50, rather than getting on the end of the next kick

Edited by BW511
  • Like 2