Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

AFL Mid Season Draft 2021

Whispering_Jack

With the mid season draft approaching next Wednesday, we're starting to hear what players are linked to clubs now.

Haven't heard any names linked to Melbourne yet, but would think a tall solid back man and mature midfield depth such as a Freeman or Sam Fisher from the wafl would be looked at. 

With Viney unable to get on the pick I think this will be something looked potentially. 

Maybe a wingman as well?

22 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

With the mid season draft approaching next Wednesday, we're starting to hear what players are linked to clubs now.

Haven't heard any names linked to Melbourne yet, but would think a tall solid back man and mature midfield depth such as a Freeman or Sam Fisher from the wafl would be looked at. 

With Viney unable to get on the pick I think this will be something looked potentially. 

Maybe a wingman as well?

Riley Knight just nominated and I reckon he’d be a nice fit. According to a preseason article wants to a chance to play on ball rather than be stuck at half forward, but he can play that role too. 

I do wonder whether we can afford (financially and with list spots) to pick up 2 mature depth players and still take a 19 year old if there is one. The media hasn’t really explained why clubs are so reluctant to use all their spots. 

9 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I do wonder whether we can afford (financially and with list spots) to pick up 2 mature depth players and still take a 19 year old if there is one. The media hasn’t really explained why clubs are so reluctant to use all their spots. 

Clubs are reluctant as there's a good chance the player won't do much more than top up their VFL list. I think there are only 4 from the MSD 2 year ago who are still on AFL lists, so around a 30% chance that the player will stay on a list and then generally they'll be 'role players'. Clubs probably don't want to be putting extra resources into these guys, when they can do that over the pre-season after the main draft. It sounds very exciting as a supporter and to the media, but it'll be a while before clubs truly embrace the mid season draft, and then they might wait until its a mid season trade period. 

1 hour ago, Red and Blue realist said:

Clubs are reluctant as there's a good chance the player won't do much more than top up their VFL list. I think there are only 4 from the MSD 2 year ago who are still on AFL lists, so around a 30% chance that the player will stay on a list and then generally they'll be 'role players'. Clubs probably don't want to be putting extra resources into these guys, when they can do that over the pre-season after the main draft. It sounds very exciting as a supporter and to the media, but it'll be a while before clubs truly embrace the mid season draft, and then they might wait until its a mid season trade period. 

It’s 70k a player if it doesn’t work out - 50k pay and 20k severance payment. But for 50 million dollar businesses that’s peanuts. 

I don’t really buy the resources argument. For us it’s filling in 3 ACL victims who are all probably easy to manage. I reckon the benefit of fresh legs on the track is actually underrated.

If you’re bringing in older players they should be easy to manage, if you’re bringing in a young guy for the future you’ve given yourself a head start. There’s a lot of rookies who barely get a chance because the draft and their first year is over so quickly. It didn’t work out last time but I think teams will find 19 year olds this time (partly from the stronger covid crop) who play really well next year.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

It’s 70k a player if it doesn’t work out - 50k pay and 20k severance payment. But for 50 million dollar businesses that’s peanuts. 

I don’t really buy the resources argument. For us it’s filling in 3 ACL victims who are all probably easy to manage. I reckon the benefit of fresh legs on the track is actually underrated.

If you’re bringing in older players they should be easy to manage, if you’re bringing in a young guy for the future you’ve given yourself a head start. There’s a lot of rookies who barely get a chance because the draft and their first year is over so quickly. It didn’t work out last time but I think teams will find 19 year olds this time (partly from the stronger covid crop) who play really well next year.

I get your arguments, but clubs are already complaining about the soft cap being reduced, so there's less coaches and physio's etc. The resources get taking away from existing development programs to integrate the new draft picks into the footy programs, plus they are rarely anywhere near ready for AFL football, so the strength and conditioning staff need to put in extra work with them. 

So while the $$$ cost might not be huge, it's the opportunity cost that the coaches/staff have with existing players and those in rehab is what they weigh up as well. 

• Like 5

I see the MSD as having value in 3 dimensions:

1: immediate top up with state league player to fill a specific hole - ie, ruck for GC.

2: grabbing talent that you were unsure about at the previous year’s drafts, but has has 6 months to prove their wares.  This includes that you dont want to risk them getting to the full draft.

3: a surprise talent emerges through the state leagues worth adding to the list

Players in the MSD are not likely to be match ready until the end of August (unless case 1 is desperate), so either they do a marlon Pickett or develop for next year inside the club.

39 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

filth are all over tyson stengle; i don't know why - given our intention to be a forward pressure side - we are not the same

Because the Crows offloaded him for good reason. Wouldn't want him near our club.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

filth are all over tyson stengle; i don't know why - given our intention to be a forward pressure side - we are not the same

It's been a long, hard slog to develop a good culture in the club. I'm not sure that the club would be keen to take risks with that just yet.

• Like 5

On 4/28/2021 at 5:18 PM, Turner said:

Crossley will definitely be given another go, potentially even back at the suns since his ban ended, thought he was showing alot as a young ruck prospect. would be keen to see us add my boy trudge who is a bigger body, actually played FB back at school level now playing on the inside in the NAB league or of course farmer would be a handy get. i expect we'll just go best overlooked prospect available

Trudge (joel trudgeon) just broke the record for the most ranking/supercoach points in a nab league game over the weekend, very nicely timed by him. 185cm inside mid had 27 contested touches and 14 tackles. would fit in nicely to develop in the 2s for a couple seasons as we did with sparrow and jj, given vdb and jones will go at seasons end theres definitely room for some young inside types to bring through. (if anyone has a link to the HS article that would be fantastic)

On 4/23/2021 at 9:04 AM, don cordner said:

Just thinking, we have a riches of big men, and with. Toms form being excellent, teams would now be frothing to get him on their list, are we able to trade him out, and pick up a player that fills a need for us?

We had a lack of good big men in the past, we shouldn't give that depth up. 

8 hours ago, whatwhat say what said:

my understanding is that he's significantly changed his behaviour

he strikes me as the sort of player who will make the most of his third opportunity

4th opportunity* while I don't personally know the player from my outside view I would want more than 3 months of realising you stuffed up before I gave him another shot. 

• Like 2

I agree we need to drive recruitment in the draft of youngsters in the draft with pace and skill. Also look at year end to attract players from other clubs looking at the Dees being in the premiership window.  

In terms of the mid year draft, to add the pace needed still imv, I’d look at 

Will Bravo - missed out in last years draft but trained with the Hawks over the summer as a train on player. He showed in the underage games this year his ability to win the footy and pace to move from the contest. Good stats so far in 2021 and has smart goalkicking sense as additional bonus. 

Eli Templeton - had another 40 possession game as a ruck rover for Port Melbourne v GWS Giants Reserves last week. He has excellent pace and skill and has matured physically since his days with the Saints a few years ago. Whilst we have the midfield in place , I feel he’d be very handy on the wing opposite Langdon. Templeton has the pace and stamina and skills for a second shot. Just my view.  

• Like 1

https://www.afl.com.au/news/621164/mid-season-draft-check-out-27-of-the-top-contenders

This guy looks like the only possible ready-made medium defender, if that's where we think the deficit is.

Know anything about him @rpfc?

ANGUS BAKER
Medium defender
191cm/88kg
3/10/98
Essendon VFL 

The running half-back trained with Essendon's AFL side in the pre-season in the hope of winning a list spot before the Bombers looked elsewhere. He then signed with the club's VFL team where he has averaged 26 disposals across four games, including a 31-possession outing against North Melbourne last weekend. Formerly part of Sydney's Academy, Baker played NEAFL as a 17-year-old before rupturing his ACL. He later headed to the Canberra Demons, winning the NEAFL Rising Star award in 2019. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, whatwhat say what said:

my understanding is that he's significantly changed his behaviour

he strikes me as the sort of player who will make the most of his third opportunity

If that is the case What then maybe worth a look. I respect your opinion,  but the due diligence would have to be pretty epic. Contrite and total change are very different. Has to be virtually no chance of regressing for me.

I will also say I have no knowledge to back up my opinions except the details reported in the news.

Jason Taylor isn't afraid to pick up less well known players, wouldn't surprise me if we picked up a 19 year old who didn't get to show their wares last year.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pollyanna said:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/621164/mid-season-draft-check-out-27-of-the-top-contenders

This guy looks like the only possible ready-made medium defender, if that's where we think the deficit is.

Know anything about him @rpfc?

ANGUS BAKER
Medium defender
191cm/88kg
3/10/98
Essendon VFL 

The running half-back trained with Essendon's AFL side in the pre-season in the hope of winning a list spot before the Bombers looked elsewhere. He then signed with the club's VFL team where he has averaged 26 disposals across four games, including a 31-possession outing against North Melbourne last weekend. Formerly part of Sydney's Academy, Baker played NEAFL as a 17-year-old before rupturing his ACL. He later headed to the Canberra Demons, winning the NEAFL Rising Star award in 2019. 

I reckon the Bombers will grab him with pick 6-7. 

4 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Agree. Insurance for key defender.  Anyone in mind?  

blake schlensog? purely based on how cool his name is, schlonga

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Turner said:

blake schlensog? purely based on how cool his name is, schlonga

In the Yiddish language a [censored] refers to a part of the male anatomy associated with the name Richard. That would have ruled this bloke out in the days of Joe Gutnik.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1