Jump to content

  • Podcast: Gary Pert Interview      

  • Podcast: Gary Pert Interview     

AFL Mid Season Draft 2021


Whispering_Jack
 Share


Recommended Posts


A key back in case of further injuries would be handy

Also a mature ruck, in case Gawn goes down or needs a breather - as he is getting beaten up every week now.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/3/2021 at 12:19 PM, MF-C said:

Would throw Freeman a bone for sure 

Does he still have a bit of toe? 

Surely it’s the only reason you’d recruit him?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, deelusions from afar said:

Not saying he's in the same league but doesn't Majak do both of these already?

yep he does.  But I don't rate his ruck work

and I'm not sure he a lock down defender - cover for Tomo/May/Petty. I could be wrong here but I reckon he is more a good mark/intercept guy

if we get 2-3 injuries down back it might get messy!

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing that stands out from the statistics is the fact that despite having two solid ruckmen and a number of players who we all rate as quality midfielders, we are still regularly trailing our opponents in clearance statistics. Should we look for someone who is capable of addressing this? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Chelly said:

One thing that stands out from the statistics is the fact that despite having two solid ruckmen and a number of players who we all rate as quality midfielders, we are still regularly trailing our opponents in clearance statistics. Should we look for someone who is capable of addressing this? 

Like YZE?

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/3/2021 at 12:30 PM, Nascent said:

It's worked for us before and Zac Foot and Ryan Sparkes could be two names to keep an eye on.

I'm more curious to see if there have been players that missed out on last year's draft that may have pushed their credentials this year. With a lack of footy last year there's a chance of some u19s could be showing 1st or 2nd round quality now they have a chance to play.

Zavier Maher is the first one off the top of my head that seemed unlucky not to get drafted last year. Have no idea how he's gone this year though.

Will Bravo, Liam Kolar and Zac Dumesny are others I remember being talked about for last year's draft.

I haven't seen much of Casey for a while, but watching last Thursday night, Zac Foot's forward craft reminded me a lot of Bailey Fritsch when he played for Casey. He has a touch of class about him.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, spalding said:

I haven't seen much of Casey for a while, but watching last Thursday night, Zac Foot's forward craft reminded me a lot of Bailey Fritsch when he played for Casey. He has a touch of class about him.

Agree. He also has a bit of toe. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

Yes sorry i realised this after, i had mixed him up with someone else. 

jarryd?

1 hour ago, Mach5 said:

Surely it’s the only reason you’d recruit him?

and he's an upgrade on baker imo, liked him when he left the pies for moorabin - shows how long we've been chasing a wingman for...

1 hour ago, deelusions from afar said:

Not saying he's in the same league but doesn't Majak do both of these already?

yes but with 3 available list spots all paid outside the cap would a club not be silly to fill them given it can be only a 6mth deal, every chance any signing shows more in 6months than jsmith has in 6 years too 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, spalding said:

I haven't seen much of Casey for a while, but watching last Thursday night, Zac Foot's forward craft reminded me a lot of Bailey Fritsch when he played for Casey. He has a touch of class about him.

He was on Sydney's list and has some senior experience playing 2 games for Sydney in 2019. Taken at pick 50 in 2018 draft

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 4/23/2021 at 10:39 AM, roy11 said:

Assume this may be the avenue they go down.

He'll be 29 when this season wraps up and has another 12 months on good coin. Unless they potentially extend his contract and spread some of the 2022 salary to future years to alleviate some 2022 cap tightness?

That being said just need to monitor how the forward line goes this year and look at needs/wants at end of the season. 

 

Some sense at last. If he finishes the year as he has he should recontract with a extra year or two on standard $$$ and spread the money ... takes pressure off himself and club and stays a demon for life ... we don't have many players that can play back or forward which is super handy when we have a normal amount of injuries in a year

Edited by Demons1858
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On Saturday, May 8, club recruiters will get a chance to see some of the best contenders for the mid-season draft feature in the Colgate Young Guns game for Under 23 prospects at Werribee Oval (2.40pm). There’s an article for subscribers only in the Herald Sun by Chris  Cavanagh about the 52 players selected, mostly from the NAB Boys League.  The players are:-

VIC METRO

Jake Arundell, 18, 169cm, 65kg, Eastern Ranges

Harrison White, 19, 175cm, 70kg, Western Jets

Eren Soylemez, 19, 179cm, 82kg, Northern Knights

Ewan Macpherson, 19, 179cm, 82kg, Northern Knights

Tom Blamires, 18, 180cm, 76kg, Sandringham Dragons

Corey Preston, 18, 181cm, 77kg, Eastern Ranges

Darby Hipwell, 18, 182cm, 82kg, Sandringham Dragons

Harrison Keeling, 19, 183cm, 68kg, Eastern Ranges

Joel Trudgeon, 18, 185cm, 90kg, Northern Knights

Charlie McKay, 18, 186cm, 83kg, Sandringham Dragons

Lachlan Riley, 19, 186cm, 85kg, Sandringham Dragons

Dylan Thomas, 18, 187cm, 77kg, Oakleigh Chargers

Liam Conway, 19, 188cm, 87kg, Western Jets

Ben De Bolfo, 18, 188cm, 79kg, Northern Knights

Sam Clohesy, 18, 189cm, 72kg, Calder Cannons

Fraser Elliot, 18, 189cm, 88kg, Oakleigh Chargers

Luke Cleary, 19, 189cm, 80kg, Sandringham Dragons

Logan Young, 19, 190cm, 84kg, Sandringham Dragons

Marc Massarotti, 18, 191cm, 91kg, Eastern Ranges

Cody Raak, 18, 192cm, 80kg, Western Jets

Dominic Akuei, 18, 192cm, 76kg, Northern Knights

Samuel Paea, 18, 194cm, 94kg, Calder Cannons

Flynn Maguire, 19, 195cm, 82kg, Oakleigh Chargers

Riley Smith, 20, 200cm, 104kg, Eastern Ranges

Felix Flockart, 19, 202cm, 80kg, Sandringham Dragons

Liam Pohajski, 18, 202cm, 99kg, Calder Cannons

Ned Moyle, 19, 205cm, 87kg, Oakleigh Chargers

VIC COUNTRY

Sam Conforti, 19, 173cm, 74kg, Bendigo Pioneers

Charlie Ham, 18, 180cm, 74kg, Geelong Falcons

Kobi George, 19, 182cm, 74kg, Dandenong Stingrays

Jack Hickman, 19, 177cm, 71kg, Bendigo Pioneers

Patrick Parnell, 19, 178cm, 60kg, Murray Bushrangers

Clayton Gay, 19, 183cm, 77kg, Dandenong Stingrays

Will Bravo, 19, 181cm, 77kg, Dandenong Stingrays

Marcous Herbert, 18, 181cm, 81kg, GWV Rebels

Flynn Young, 19, 181cm, 69kg, Geelong Falcons

Isaac Wareham, 19, 183cm, 81kg, Geelong VFL

Will Papley, 18, 178cm, 78kg, Gippsland Power

Noah Gribble, 18, 180cm, 79kg, Geelong Falcons

Charlie Byrne, 18, 184cm, 79kg, Murray Bushrangers

Sam Durham, 19, 190cm, 82kg, Richmond VFL

Cobi Maxted, 18, 188cm, 88kg, Bendigo Pioneers

Bryce Milford, 18, 195cm, 82kg, Dandenong Stingrays

Xavier Mitchell, 18, 191cm, 78kg, Bendigo Pioneers

Daniel Turner, 19, 191cm, 79kg, Murray Bushrangers

Ryan O’Keefe, 19, 192cm, 69kg, Bendigo Pioneers

Caleb Ernst, 18, 194cm, 91kg, Bendigo Pioneers

Mutaz El Nour, 19, 192cm, 83kg, Northern Bullants VFL

Jai Neal, 18, 192cm, 88kg, Dandenong Stingrays

Cameron McLeod, 18, 192cm, 78kg, Murray Bushrangers

Mason Hawkins, 19, 198cm, 82kg, Gippsland Power

Aaron Gundry, 20, 201cm, 91kg, Carlton VFL

  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

On Saturday, May 8, club recruiters will get a chance to see some of the best contenders for the mid-season draft feature in the Colgate Young Guns game for Under 23 prospects at Werribee Oval (2.40pm). There’s an article for subscribers only in the Herald Sun by Chris  Cavanagh about the 52 players selected, mostly from the NAB Boys League.  The players are:-

VIC METRO

Jake Arundell, 18, 169cm, 65kg, Eastern Ranges

Harrison White, 19, 175cm, 70kg, Western Jets

Eren Soylemez, 19, 179cm, 82kg, Northern Knights

Ewan Macpherson, 19, 179cm, 82kg, Northern Knights

Tom Blamires, 18, 180cm, 76kg, Sandringham Dragons

Corey Preston, 18, 181cm, 77kg, Eastern Ranges

Darby Hipwell, 18, 182cm, 82kg, Sandringham Dragons

Harrison Keeling, 19, 183cm, 68kg, Eastern Ranges

Joel Trudgeon, 18, 185cm, 90kg, Northern Knights

Charlie McKay, 18, 186cm, 83kg, Sandringham Dragons

Lachlan Riley, 19, 186cm, 85kg, Sandringham Dragons

Dylan Thomas, 18, 187cm, 77kg, Oakleigh Chargers

Liam Conway, 19, 188cm, 87kg, Western Jets

Ben De Bolfo, 18, 188cm, 79kg, Northern Knights

Sam Clohesy, 18, 189cm, 72kg, Calder Cannons

Fraser Elliot, 18, 189cm, 88kg, Oakleigh Chargers

Luke Cleary, 19, 189cm, 80kg, Sandringham Dragons

Logan Young, 19, 190cm, 84kg, Sandringham Dragons

Marc Massarotti, 18, 191cm, 91kg, Eastern Ranges

Cody Raak, 18, 192cm, 80kg, Western Jets

Dominic Akuei, 18, 192cm, 76kg, Northern Knights

Samuel Paea, 18, 194cm, 94kg, Calder Cannons

Flynn Maguire, 19, 195cm, 82kg, Oakleigh Chargers

Riley Smith, 20, 200cm, 104kg, Eastern Ranges

Felix Flockart, 19, 202cm, 80kg, Sandringham Dragons

Liam Pohajski, 18, 202cm, 99kg, Calder Cannons

Ned Moyle, 19, 205cm, 87kg, Oakleigh Chargers

VIC COUNTRY

Sam Conforti, 19, 173cm, 74kg, Bendigo Pioneers

Charlie Ham, 18, 180cm, 74kg, Geelong Falcons

Kobi George, 19, 182cm, 74kg, Dandenong Stingrays

Jack Hickman, 19, 177cm, 71kg, Bendigo Pioneers

Patrick Parnell, 19, 178cm, 60kg, Murray Bushrangers

Clayton Gay, 19, 183cm, 77kg, Dandenong Stingrays

Will Bravo, 19, 181cm, 77kg, Dandenong Stingrays

Marcous Herbert, 18, 181cm, 81kg, GWV Rebels

Flynn Young, 19, 181cm, 69kg, Geelong Falcons

Isaac Wareham, 19, 183cm, 81kg, Geelong VFL

Will Papley, 18, 178cm, 78kg, Gippsland Power

Noah Gribble, 18, 180cm, 79kg, Geelong Falcons

Charlie Byrne, 18, 184cm, 79kg, Murray Bushrangers

Sam Durham, 19, 190cm, 82kg, Richmond VFL

Cobi Maxted, 18, 188cm, 88kg, Bendigo Pioneers

Bryce Milford, 18, 195cm, 82kg, Dandenong Stingrays

Xavier Mitchell, 18, 191cm, 78kg, Bendigo Pioneers

Daniel Turner, 19, 191cm, 79kg, Murray Bushrangers

Ryan O’Keefe, 19, 192cm, 69kg, Bendigo Pioneers

Caleb Ernst, 18, 194cm, 91kg, Bendigo Pioneers

Mutaz El Nour, 19, 192cm, 83kg, Northern Bullants VFL

Jai Neal, 18, 192cm, 88kg, Dandenong Stingrays

Cameron McLeod, 18, 192cm, 78kg, Murray Bushrangers

Mason Hawkins, 19, 198cm, 82kg, Gippsland Power

Aaron Gundry, 20, 201cm, 91kg, Carlton VFL

for me, eyes on kobi george a member of our NGA and joel trudgeon a former teammate of mine, at the time he played FB and was only 16 getting roles on BKing, Fish McAsey and others and holding his own nowadays plays as a tall mid but is super athletic intreested in how he goes. 

and Mutaz El Nour caught my eye due to his size and weight matching up pretty nicely for the type of player we might be interested in as well as being 1/3 players in the vfl not the nab league

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 5/4/2021 at 3:24 PM, DubDee said:

yep he does.  But I don't rate his ruck work

and I'm not sure he a lock down defender - cover for Tomo/May/Petty. I could be wrong here but I reckon he is more a good mark/intercept guy

if we get 2-3 injuries down back it might get messy!

I'll be amazed if you'll find a better mature alternative to Majak who's ready to go now.  I don't think we need to waste picks on back-up in these areas, we already have Mitch Brown and Majak Daw, and we have Weid at Casey.

IMO we should be trying to get ahead of the 2021 Draft curve and draft the best young talent we can.  Right now our first pick is a 2nd rounder tied to Brisbane so likely to be late 2nd round.

Edited by Pollyanna
  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/3/2021 at 12:19 PM, WA Demon Boy said:

Would throw Freeman a bone for sure 

Does he still have a bit of toe? 

No, that would be Zac Foot.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

With 3 x ACLs on the board, can’t see why we wouldn’t select 3 of the most promising eligible kids, so we can put them under the microscope for for half a season, keep the gems and jettison the duds in favour of draft picks (admittedly not entirely sure of rules around the midsession draft).

Can’t see this draft lasting many more years. It’s not coming close to having it’s intended effect.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    DELTA DEMONS by KC from Casey

    There was an ill wind blowing for the home side at Casey Fields on  Saturday but you wouldn’t have noticed if you turned up seven or eight minutes into the second quarter with the scoreboard showing the Casey Demons holding a lead of 7.5.47 to Footscray’s solitary point. Up to that stage, the depleted Dees combination had taken full advantage of the windy conditions and headed by veterans Nathan Jones, Jimmy Munro and Mitch White had came out of the blocks and plundered the Bulldogs’ defence.  

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    ON THE FLY by George On The Outer

    After spending most of the previous day in the air, flying between Queensland and Victoria, it was hard to imagine the Demons would be at their best.   But this team was on the fly on the field as well and produced a clinical display which saw them record a 98 point win to put aside any questions about the side being out of form.   Certainly, the Suns who have fallen away badly in the second half of the season were their opponents, but with the Demons looking for a confidence boo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    CITIUS, ALTIUS, FORTIUS by The Oracle

    This weekend, the Melbourne Football Club was supposed to embark on a tour that started with what looked like an innocent trip to the country’s sunny Gold Coast. However, the Covid19 pandemic intervened to bring them back home for this week at least. Next week, it’s off to the West Coast but conspiracy theorists are already suggesting that this interstate sojourn could take the team all the way across the country over the next month and indeed, there are cynics who even believe that it could bec

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE YEAR THE SNOWFLAKES FELL by Whispering Jack

    The snow that fell on the slopes of Victoria’s mountain districts in the winter of 1965 was not considered good enough to satisfy the enthusiasts. The really heavy snow that season came in two waves further north in July and August. The first descended on the national capital where “Pig Iron Bob” still held sway. Snow flurries touched the landscape all the way across the Blue Mountains. The next big snow extended further north up to the hills around Mackay in Queensland. Snowflakes fell inside t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 10

    DEES GIVE DOGS A BONE by George On The Outer

    First place versus second on the ladder promised to be a precursor to what can be expected in the coming finals race.  However, it was the Demons who faltered and gave the Bulldogs a bone to feed their hunger just weeks out from the end of the season. The win also sent the Dogs to the top of the ladder, a position they are unlikely to cede in the coming weeks, given their fixture. While Melbourne may now struggle to keep a spot in the top four with its draw and will likely depend on the res

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE WORM WILL TURN by The Oracle

    When I was asked to preview this game, I wasn’t sure whether it was going to be played in Darwin, on the Gold Coast or the MCG. I had no idea as to the identity of Melbourne’s opponent. This would have made for one hell of an interesting match preview so I’m glad that the AFL managed to reorganize its fixture to enable a game … any game at all … to proceed in Round 19. We’ll worry about the Gold Coast Suns or whoever they put us up against when the weekend’s done and dusted and if and when

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DRAWN AND DEEFLATED by George on the Outer

    1st v 17th ... it would seem a sure one way contest between the Hawks and the Demons but it was not to be with the game finishing in a draw, the only positive being the Demons still retain their top spot on the ladder. Melbourne was taught a football lesson by Al Clarkson, who with limited resources, just instructed his players to scrap, fight and surge the ball forward.  It stifled the Melbourne free flowing style of play and denied them the opportunities they could normally expect. I

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    PINK RAIN by Whispering Jack

    There is no certainty about life under a pandemic. You wake up one morning without a care in the world; the sun’s shining and it’s a beautiful day. An hour later, everything’s up in the air, the entire state is on high alert and the apartment complex next door’s in lockdown. The simple decision you had to make about buying a ticket to the footy at the weekend suddenly might get put on the back burner. There are other things in life to prioritise and on top of that, they’re predicting rain for th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    COR BLIMEY by KC from Casey

    In years to come, the old timers will talk in wonderment about the “Avalon Avalanche” that hit Werribee’s Avalon Airport Oval on a mild winter’s afternoon at about ten minutes after the halfway mark of the game between the local Tigers and their cross town rivals, the Demons from Casey. At that moment in time, the game was poised as if on a knifepoint. Up until the main interval, it had been the visiting team which had maintained the lead from the start but it had struggled to entirely asse

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    POWER FAILURE by George on the Outer

    South Australians should be well familiar with the damage that storms can do to the power supply.  But Port Power forgot those lessons on Thursday night football as they watched the Melbourne storm descend upon them from across the border and ruin their hopes of a top four placing. Just as equally, the win to the Demons cemented their spot in the top two and sent out the message that a team who had been going around in circles for the past couple of weeks, has in fact, turned into a cyclone

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    CASEY SUFFER FIRST DEFEAT IN TWO YEARS

    The circumstances were a little unusual last Saturday night as KC from Casey was unavailable to report on the Casey Dees due to work commitments. On the ground things were somewhat unusual as well given that, although there was a game to be won on the night, preparations were also being made for the forthcoming Thursday night clash against Port Adelaide with Ben Brown rested for large slabs of the evening. It turned out perhaps, to be a stroke of genius for Melbourne with Brown making a strong c

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    WEATHERING THE STORM by Mel Rundle

    The magic of Melbourne’s magnificent start to 2021 is beginning to wear off. In its past six matches it lost to three teams that were outside the eight, out of form —  teams which it had very little trouble bearing last year. This week, the temperature is turned up even higher with the hard fought spot in the top four at risk. The really ominous factor about the Demons’ upcoming Thursday night meeting with Port Adelaide this week is that it is due to take place at the very place where its dec

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews


×
×
  • Create New...