Christian Salem Re-Signs for 5 Years

dazzledavey36

Salem's having an A-grade year and wouldn't look out of place on a HBF in the AA team.

In fact, we've got 8 players that are staking claims to be considered.  But it's early days and their challenge is to maintain or even improve as the year continues.

• Like 10

I like too much about this club at the minute. I haven’t had a legitimate whinge in ages. Just a game day outburst or 2. Foreign territory and I’m scared. 

• Like 11
  • Love 2
  • Haha 13

3 minutes ago, Deestroy All said:

I like too much about this club at the minute. I haven’t had a legitimate whinge in ages. Just a game day outburst or 2. Foreign territory and I’m scared. 

Give it time ?

• Haha 1

Has added strings to his bow this year, making him a far more effective player.

It's almost as if the people saying our list had the talent but not the maturity were right all along.

• Like 2

Great news on Salo. Some real stability is developing in this group - which are signs of a very positive and focused culture within the club. I would be surprised if Trac signs during the season, but given his two best mates have extended their contracts, i think he'll put pen to paper during the off season as he is still contracted until end of 2022. 

From a list management perspective, the stability and maturity in the group gives the club a solid foundation to recruit and plan for the long term. There are no gaping holes anymore and we have some reasonably good depth. We do have some areas we can improve in (outside, small backs), but we have some talent in the VFL that should develop and provide some options in the next 1-2 years in these areas. 

The only real question is whether Goodwin remains at the helm. For that, we will need to wait and see. 

Thank you Christian Salem you have made us all very happy D supporters, this is your A Grade year and may there be at least another five to come.

Finally all the stars are aligning for us long suffering Melbourne supporters.!!!!!

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, MF-C said:

Is Harmes really on 5 years??

Hopefully he's on minimum chips.

Would be horrified if he's on 500-600 a year.

We all liked Harmes in 2018 but he hasn't kicked on since then and I wouldn't even bring him back when he's over his injury.

Sensational news about Salem.

• Love 1

43 minutes ago, Deestroy All said:

Watch some reruns of our 2019 season. That'll sort you out.

• Haha 3

59 minutes ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

Unfortunately yes.  Gave 5 years to a tagger, who they then tried to turn into a backman and who now has no place in the team.

He will have a place in the team, don't you worry about that.

• Like 2

Sure there's potential downside with long term player performance vs. size of contract as the Harmes knockers are alluding to.

On the other hand, it allows the club some long term certainty in signing the guns we can't afford to lose as they know exactly what salary cap they've got to negotiate with. You need to have faith the player on the 5 year deal will perform - Salem has certainly given a great account of himself to date.

Very professional all round if you ask me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic news.

On the back of his form, 5 years is spot on for Salem.

Yes, we gave 5 to Harmes and he's subsequently struggled to recapture the form that got him that contract. But that doesn't mean we should avoid long contracts altogether. For core players, and Salem is one of them, long contracts are critical to sustaining success.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

Salo is good, but is he 5 years good??

Yes, yes he is.

Back pocket flankers with speed, good defensive skills and exceptional ball use are worth their weight in gold in the modern day. Look at the sort of money Saad and Hill commanded, and they are not as good as Salem.

Salem sets up so many of our counter attacks, while also shutting down his opponent. He is for me in our top 6 most important players, and is one we have no replacement for. 

Absolute gun.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, layzie said:

Fantastic news!

....*Excitement subsides* 5 years? Not exactly a top 5 player. 

The coaches think he is.

He's polled 18 votes (same as Trac) which averages out to the third best player on ground in all the games we've played, according to the coaches. 

• Thanks 1