Jump to content

  • Podcast:     

  • Podcast:     

MFC team, what would you like to see.



Recommended Posts

Been thinking about our game style.

We get the ball enough but because of turnovers, poor decisions and not being able to convert inside 50's we lose matches.

I'd like to see us minimise turnovers, play smart and of course convert.

This would mean an increase to our skills, better use of strategy when working out a game plan, and taking marks and becoming better crumbers.

The other thing I want to see is a plan to stop the opposition when they take control of the game.

Finally, I want us to play for the entire 4 quarters.

Most of this comes down to being mentally strong with good coaching. 

 

 

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, kev martin said:

Been thinking about our game style.

We get the ball enough but because of turnovers, poor decisions and not being able to convert inside 50's we lose matches.

I'd like to see us minimise turnovers, play smart and of course convert.

This would mean an increase to our skills, better use of strategy when working out a game plan, and taking marks and becoming better crumbers.

The other thing I want to see is a plan to stop the opposition when they take control of the game.

Finally, I want us to play for the entire 4 quarters.

Most of this comes down to being mentally strong with good coaching. 

 

 

Minimising turnovers alone will win us more games and as a result make us a better side.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I really hope Goody has been working on the oppositions game.

We can't just be about our brand!

He has to able to do something to cool an opposition player or to stem the goal rally of the opponents.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Redleg said:

Minimising turnovers alone will win us more games and as a result make us a better side.

Some of their turnovers came when they had time to think and steady. Turnovers when under pressure are understandable, 

Bad skill execution and brain fades are not.

Those unable to perform should be consistently kicking and handballing everyday of the week.

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RalphiusMaximus said:

I want to see a discernible forward line plan that doesn't include kicking to the hot spot and hoping for something to happen. 

I agree, we need to be able to hit up leads, kick to advantage and change up the angles when attacking. 

Too many times we kick it to the oppositions sweeper or intercept player.

The teams like Westcoast and Tigers must lick their lips when playing against us.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, kev martin said:

Finally, I want us to play for the entire 4 quarters.

Most of this comes down to being mentally strong with good coaching. 

Over the last few years our good is very good but our bad is terrible. The inconsistency and yo-yo performances suggest mental fragility and weakness. We let our intensity and effort drop off. The Bulldogs last year springs to mind as a classic example. A 3rd quarter disappearing act. Everybody but particularly senior players need to held accountable.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

We need to hit moving targets with added variation and unpredicatability in our ball movement from the backline, midfield then into the forwad line and hot zones. More, better and sudden running, please. Combine these attributtes with a bit of 'mongrel' coz second don't get the ball and don't add to the scoreline we need. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Organised chaos and balance are what I think of.

You can’t be safe or too cute or you won’t move the ball quick enough to succeed. But at the same time there has to be some organisation to have things work out.

1 up, 1 down. Keeping width for handball receives. Trusting team mates to stick a tackle. Making sure the long kicks down the line go to advantage.

If we get all those little things right consistently enough things will be looking better.

I think Goodwin has actually been on the right track with the way we spread, change angles on the kicks and move the ball quickly. We’ve just been lacking skills in some areas and lacking organisation as well. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually dont think our turnovers or our kick inside 50 is the true issue. It has been our inability to switch quickly to defend and pressure when we turnover and an inability to contain inside forward 50s and maximise the value of stoppage goals. A more defensive mindset mix at stoppage, Gawn drifting forward and taking more i50 hit outs rather than dropping a kick behind and our likely increased small forward mix in set up will address a lot of this even if we didn’t improve our kicking efficiency. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

in terms of game plan, winning contested football is clearly the dna of our current side, what we need to do to make us a 'winning' side is limit turnovers and make the most of opportunities

from my perspective 25 wins or so in a row would do nicely, none where we're less than four goals up for the whole of each and every final quarter; a settled heart and the joy of knowing that you've 'got this' is my favourite part of watching 'winning' football

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Better days ahead said:

Over the last few years our good is very good but our bad is terrible. The inconsistency and yo-yo performances suggest mental fragility and weakness. We let our intensity and effort drop off. The Bulldogs last year springs to mind as a classic example. A 3rd quarter disappearing act. Everybody but particularly senior players need to held accountable.

Without the runner to pass on coaches messages, it really is up to the on-field leaders to straighten the ship.

They need to assess the situation, have a plan, communicate and lead by example. Not so easy, but they have to try something and not just let the opposition roll over us.

The plan would have to include tempo control. Push our lines deeper or more shallow. Set a tagger on a hot player. Support, encourage and instruct team-mates. Get the ball. Score goals. Some individual brilliance would also work.

Post game accountability is good but they should act as soon as the rots starts.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Deemania since 56 said:

We need to hit moving targets with added variation and unpredicatability in our ball movement from the backline, midfield then into the forwad line and hot zones. More, better and sudden running, please. Combine these attributtes with a bit of 'mongrel' coz second don't get the ball and don't add to the scoreline we need. 

 

I want some mongrel in our team. Other teams and their supporters see us as easy. Its great when we are up and running. The opposition supporters get agitated. They get nasty as do their players. The opposition will try and rough us up. We should start giving it back. We've had too many years of "taking it". Time to get some pride and believe. 

Unpredictability, together with good skill execution is hard to defend against.

Coast to coast creates confidence and hurts the opposition. 

As does breaking the lines.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, kev martin said:

Been thinking about our game style.

We get the ball enough but because of turnovers, poor decisions and not being able to convert inside 50's we lose matches.

I'd like to see us minimise turnovers, play smart and of course convert.

This would mean an increase to our skills, better use of strategy when working out a game plan, and taking marks and becoming better crumbers.

The other thing I want to see is a plan to stop the opposition when they take control of the game.

Finally, I want us to play for the entire 4 quarters.

Most of this comes down to being mentally strong with good coaching. 

 

 

A flag. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Billy said:

I’d like to see Oliver & Petracca signed up long term & disposal accuracy into the forward line

Don't we need them.

Hoping to go deep into the finals this season, become successful and  getting them satisfaction. 

Only way way to guarantee their signatures, as salary caps and us buying others may restrict us paying their full price.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

I actually dont think our turnovers or our kick inside 50 is the true issue. It has been our inability to switch quickly to defend and pressure when we turnover and an inability to contain inside forward 50s and maximise the value of stoppage goals. A more defensive mindset mix at stoppage, Gawn drifting forward and taking more i50 hit outs rather than dropping a kick behind and our likely increased small forward mix in set up will address a lot of this even if we didn’t improve our kicking efficiency. 

 

You are right about our reactions to turnovers. 

They are going to happen. If we can limit the scoreboard pain when it happens. Good teams can do it. Gut running, pressure, picking up your man, slow the ball down, get it back.

The ball does come out of our forward line a bit easy sometimes. 

Do need more goals from stoppages in the 50. Elite ruck, rove combination can only help. Max is a force we should use in there. Scoring is more important than getting re-entries. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Organised chaos and balance are what I think of.

You can’t be safe or too cute or you won’t move the ball quick enough to succeed. But at the same time there has to be some organisation to have things work out.

1 up, 1 down. Keeping width for handball receives. Trusting team mates to stick a tackle. Making sure the long kicks down the line go to advantage.

If we get all those little things right consistently enough things will be looking better.

I think Goodwin has actually been on the right track with the way we spread, change angles on the kicks and move the ball quickly. We’ve just been lacking skills in some areas and lacking organisation as well. 

Love your analysis Dee.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A system of redoubts perpendicular to the main defensive line, which;

- force opposition advances into predictable paths ending in kill-boxes, and

- provide an advanced rallying point for swift counter-offensives. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

in terms of game plan, winning contested football is clearly the dna of our current side, what we need to do to make us a 'winning' side is limit turnovers and make the most of opportunities

from my perspective 25 wins or so in a row would do nicely, none where we're less than four goals up for the whole of each and every final quarter; a settled heart and the joy of knowing that you've 'got this' is my favourite part of watching 'winning' football

Would like to see us hammer some of the bottom teams by 15 or about goals.

It would show we are working towards being ruthless. 

In the past, a 4 goal lead by Melbourne was not a guarantee for a win. They can sometimes give the opposition a look in.

Hoping that changes and we have no more fade outs or switch offs.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    CANCEL CULTURE by Whispering Jack

    I’m not one who likes mixing politics with sport but it should be noted there have been some unusual trends in the world of sport lately. In the US, Major League Baseball announced that it’s moving the 2021 All-Star Game and the 2021 MLB Draft out of Georgia, in response to the state’s new voting law. Over here, there’s a move to force Carlton to change its club song because the original song on which it was based (written in the late 1800s) has “racist connotations”. The Blues maintain the curr

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MOGGIES MASTERED by George on the Outer

    They say that herding cats is an impossible task but not for the Melbourne Demons who through relentless pressure, scored a commanding 25 point victory in Round 4 over Geelong at the MCG. The team that missed the AFL finals only once in the past dozen years were shown up by the new Demons of 2021 who have recorded their first 4-0 opening to the season in 21 years! Melbourne knew what was coming, and it was Geelong who were shown up for their inability to adapt to the 2021 style of foot

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    UNDER MY SKIN by The Oracle

    The story goes that there’s a certain player from Geelong who has been seen in Moorabool Street crooning the old Sinatra classic, “I’ve got you under my skin.” His name is O’Connor and he’s been tasked to achieve one thing on Sunday by his coach, Chris Scott: to get under the skin of a Demon midfielder on Sunday and thereby tag him out of the big contest at the G. The idea behind the tactic is to not only blunt one of the team’s most destructive weapons but to distract them all from producing th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MAX IN SPACE

    Demon skipper Max Gawn is one big unit at 208cm and lately he’s been standing even taller. We already know that he’s unstoppable in the air when going for a mark but with three consecutive victories to open the season, you might say that he has his head in the clouds.  And that is literally true thanks to a fan at Demonland.com who recently arranged for our big ruckman to go even further than the clouds but way beyond to the edge of space and into the stratosphere. And this photograph of Ma

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 25

    CAPITAL PUNISHMENT by George on the Outer

    A 34-point win in the nation’s capital has seen the Demons kill the Giants hopes early in the 2021 season. It wasn’t only the scoreboard, but a succession of injuries to major players for GWS that has put paid to their aspirations. The winning result wasn’t just due to the opposition losing players, but also to the relentless pressure from this 2021 Melbourne side that put them in the winners circle. In past years, a 16 point deficit at the first change combined with a rampant Toby Greene w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    POWER AND THE PASSION by Whispering Jack

    The Demons ran out for their Qualifying Final match against the Fremantle Dockers at Casey Fields as the sounds of Midnight Oils’ “Power and the Passion cascaded over the mainly friendly pro-Melbourne crowd. It was a far cry from the season opener at Carrara in late January where few of their fans were in attendance in high 20’s heat and humidity and silence greeted every score from the slow-starting Demons. They ran away from the lowly Suns, won comfortably in the end and followed that with ano

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    BREAK OUT by Whispering Jack

    Despite the chaotic events occurring in Canberra over the past few weeks, one thing is for certain. This weekend’s game at Manuka Oval in the nation’s capital between the GWS Giants and Melbourne will decide which of Scott Morrison or Leon Cameron is the most under the pump at this point in time.  This time twelve months ago, the Giants were coming off a season in which they had played off in a grand final. They opened up their 2020 campaign with a resounding 32-point victory in round 1 aga

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MARVELOUS PRESSURE by George on the Outer

    Is this a new form of Melbourne which has suddenly emerged in 2021?  In the past, whenever the pressure was applied, the team would falter early and as a consequence, it would more often than not, be forced to confront its own self-inflicted failure. But perhaps not so this year. The match at Marvel Stadium against the Saints provided an insight into how creating pressure, actually relieves it on the club, players and coach. Right from the start, Melbourne was there to make a stat

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    STUCK IN THE MIDDLE by The Oracle

    Throughout the off season, St Kilda was touted as an improver and a possible challenger for a top four position mainly off the back of another good trade and draft period at the end of last year. Then in Round 1, the undermanned Saints made a shaky start and almost succumbed to the Giants but they managed to come home from a wet and woolly Sydney with the four points intact. For Round 2, they have a couple of handy players returning so they come into the the game at Marvel Stadium choc

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A SCRAPPY, SLOPPY SUCCESS by George on the Outer

    After what seemed like an eternity without Footy in Melbourne, the Demons and their fans produced a scrappy, sloppy yet successful return to the MCG. Yet is was against an interstate team from the furthest reaches of the country, but the 21K fans who made it through the gates, was way below expectations for numbers.  Sure it can’t have helped with all the difficulty that Ticketek imposed just to get a ticket, and since you just couldn’t walk up, perhaps the number wasn’t that surprising.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    UNFINISHED BUSINESS by Whispering Jack

    The Melbourne Football Club has unfinished business with Fremantle after that unexpected loss in their previous clash at Cazaly’s Stadium in Cairns cost it a place in last year’s finals campaign.   Back then, the tired Demons spluttered listlessly through the humid conditions in tropical far North Queensland playing in and losing two games in the space of four days and against two lowly clubs. The end result was much more than an embarrassment for the club given what was at stake at th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    PRACTICE PUMMELLING by George on the Outer

    Was this a practice for what lay ahead for the Demons in 2021 or was it an outcome to expect because it was used as a true practice game? Those of us on the outside will never know, but a 39 point loss to the Western Bulldogs was a pummelling in anyone’s language. We can draw some consolation from the players that Melbourne put on the field, with Toby Bedford, Jake Bowey, Kade Chandler, James Jordon and Tom Sparrow each getting a guernsey whereas they probably would not normally be in the f

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...