Review Finds Collingwood Guilty of Systemic Racism

rjay

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

So largely very positive with the club and even with Eddie apart from the awful handling of the Goodes comments and Lumumba stuff.

Once Eddie goes they'll be in line with probably most other clubs and then it's about how many of the measures to stop the chances of further problems they need vs how much they can just rely on people doing the right thing in the future - as most clubs have for probably 20 years or longer. Personally I'd change the systems that led to an omnipotent leader before I'd try to meet all sorts of diversity targets and extra processes. A normal President would've got the sack with the Goodes comment and put an end to that issue immediately.

17 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

So largely very positive with the club and even with Eddie apart from the awful handling of the Goodes comments and Lumumba stuff.

Once Eddie goes they'll be in line with probably most other clubs and then it's about how many of the measures to stop the chances of further problems they need vs how much they can just rely on people doing the right thing in the future - as most clubs have for probably 20 years or longer. Personally I'd change the systems that led to an omnipotent leader before I'd try to meet all sorts of diversity targets and extra processes. A normal President would've got the sack with the Goodes comment and put an end to that issue immediately.

The idea that you could solve an issue as entrenched, as so obviously systemic, as racism at the pies (or anywhere for that matter) by sacking an individual is ludicrous.

Indeed it is this very approach that has allows systemic racism to be maintained. 

And of course it is why two respected academics (that the club contracted to provide advice) have not suggested sacking  an individual will solve the issue. 

And why there recommendations focus on addressing the systemic issues.

I assume you have not read the report. And with all due respect I am at a loss as to how you can reach a different conclusion than the report's authors.

Edited by binman
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, old dee said:

Hmm smells of character assassination to me  FD.

Eddie's always been little more than a Collingwood groupie hanger on.

I recently picked up Darrens Millanes tribute book 'Pants' at the local Op shop for $2.
Maguire was a reporter at that time and often attached himself at players favourite haunt The Tunnel.
Eddie was drinking with Millane the night he died.

Edited by Fork 'em
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It is clear that Eddie was reading from a prepared statement when he said it was a proud day for the club.  So how can he say he used the wrong words due to the pressure of the day?   Clearly he/they would have been burning the midnight oil to get the statement right.  So it is equally clear he/they were trying to pull the usual PR stunt of turning a negative into a positive.

Indeed it was his opening sentence which is most carefully considered wasn't it ? (I ask because I can't find the full statement on line).   

• Like 4

1 minute ago, sue said:

It is clear that Eddie was reading from a prepared statement when he said it was a proud day for the club.  So how can he say he used the wrong words due to the pressure of the day?   Clearly he/they would have been burning the midnight oil to get the statement right.  So it is equally clear he/they were trying to pull the usual PR stunt of turning a negative into a positive.

Indeed it was his opening sentence which is most carefully considered wasn't it ? (I ask because I can't find the full statement on line).   

Agree.

As if multiple board members didn't read the prepared statement and give it the go ahead.

• Like 1

I'm loving this. Mention the word racism & everyone has an opinion. Everyone is an expert.

My score so far:

15% of posts from the apologist, conservative right, all overblown, nothing to see here

25% of posts from super woke, outraged, virtue signalling lefty warriors 

60% of posts from supporters who just hate Collingwood and/or McGuire

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, RickyJ45 said:

Collingwood is the official "Proud Boys" Club thanks to Eddie.  Expect them to be running up Spring St in their black and white Fred Perry polo shirts anytime now to storm parliament house and take it back from the deep state baby blood drinkers.

Maybe you should take a leaf from the BLM playbook and use this excuse to riot, score a new TV, bash a few white folk and burn down the MCG.

The lack of self awareness and hypocrisy of the preaching Left is astounding.

Edited by Fork 'em
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Why can't we keep this thread on topic and bash Collingwood and Eddie instead of each other?

Those casting stones from glass houses need a reality check.

Edited by Fork 'em
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, demonstone said:

I wonder if those downplaying the issue here and/or attacking one of the authors of the report realise that they come across as condoning racism, supporting Eddie McGuire and endorsing the KKKollingwood culture.

Kommunity, Kulcha and Kenterlinck?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, demonstone said:

I wonder if those downplaying the issue here and/or attacking one of the authors of the report realise that they come across as condoning racism, supporting Eddie McGuire and endorsing the KKKollingwood culture.

Can't we all just get along?

• Like 1

Much as it is fun to stick the boots into Colonwood, and Eddie in particular (and his “proud moment” comments were an absurd attempt at spin that would make Warnie proud) , I suspect that nothing much would make  Lamumba happy.  

Some folk just love the victim mentality and will not be appeased by anything at all. Has he ever really stated what would he settle for?  

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 4

27 minutes ago, monoccular said:

Much as it is fun to stick the boots into Colonwood, and Eddie in particular (and his “proud moment” comments were an absurd attempt at spin that would make Warnie proud) , I suspect that nothing much would make  Lamumba happy.  

Some folk just love the victim mentality and will not be appeased by anything at all. Has he ever really stated what would he settle for?  

User name checks out.

Pretty sure his reasons have always been to bring a spotlight on systemic racism. It doesn't have to make him or anybody else happy to be an important goal.

Edited by AmDamDemon
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, monoccular said:

said he wanted an apology and compensation as far as his legal action goes

• Like 1

5 hours ago, binman said:

The idea that you could solve an issue as entrenched, as so obviously systemic, as racism at the pies (or anywhere for that matter) by sacking an individual is ludicrous.

Indeed it is this very approach that has allows systemic racism to be maintained. 

And of course it is why two respected academics (that the club contracted to provide advice) have not suggested sacking  an individual will solve the issue. 

And why there recommendations focus on addressing the systemic issues.

I assume you have not read the report. And with all due respect I am at a loss as to how you can reach a different conclusion than the report's authors.

I had only read the ABC article carefully, I've since read most the full report.

The academics didn't recommend sacking Eddie but it's no surprise he announced he's stepping down days after the report arrived. They may be independent but they aren't dumb enough to blatantly call for the resignation of the person who commissioned them. They did it very clear that it was the board who needed to change and included the phrase 'the very top'.

The idea that footy clubs are huge behemoths these days just isn't right. The members do what they are told. The board and executives at most clubs are really only a select group of people. It's why someone like Peter Jackson can come in and shape Melbourne up pretty quickly. They really aren't huge businesses either.

Replace Ed with someone more progressive and add a few diverse people in different roles and Collingwood will be in line with every other footy club, most of which haven't had any issues with racism for a long time.

A lot of the broader systemic issues the authors want changed aren't about getting the club in line with what most people expect but going many many steps beyond that. It's pushing their agendas and mostly nonsense but good luck to them and you if that's the standard you want. I'm fine with footy clubs being inclusive and not tolerating racism, I don't need KPI's and an anti-racism taskforce.

• Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, monoccular said:

He's shifted his focus from Collingwood the whole of the AFL which is apparently riddled with racism. And rewritten history to make it sound like every non white player has to climb Everest just to get a game.

“It’s like I was running a 100-metre race with a ball and chain around one of my ankles, with broken glass, hurdles and an uneven surface to contend with in my lane, while the league’s majority, the white players’ lane was clear because they didn’t have to deal with the any of the obstacles from the league’s serious issues with systemic racism.”

Cyril Rioli and Jason Johannisen won Norm Smith's when he played and Dusty x 3 since he retired.
Goodes and  Dusty won Brownlow's.
Buddy 4 Coleman medals.

He loves exaggerating to the extent that it becomes difficult to believe him. Enough team mates have collaborated the appalling nickname and he doesn't have to ever settle for anything if he wants to fight that injustice. But he does seem to enjoy being on the outside 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fork 'em said:

Eddie's always been little more than a Collingwood groupie hanger on.

I recently picked up Darrens Millanes tribute book 'Pants' at the local Op shop for $2.
Maguire was a reporter at that time and often attached himself at players favourite haunt The Tunnel.
Eddie was drinking with Millane the night he died.

Aah yes the Tunnel

Eddie and Steve Quarterbrain lived there for years!!