Jump to content

  • Podcast: Grand Final Preview      

  • Podcast: Gary Pert Interview & Grand Final Preview      

Review Finds Collingwood Guilty of Systemic Racism


rjay
 Share


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Are you saying that a person who makes good money from his or her occupation cannot also be subjected to racism? Why else mention "his $$"?

The point I'm making is that he's had a very privileged life both in financial terms and opportunities.

Some posters seem to think its obligatory to like HL. I didn't like him at Collingwood, or at Melbourne and I don't like him now

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Cranky Franky said:

Ok Dieter I don't mind that you disagree with me but don't tell me I don't know how racism works because I am a wog as well and I copped racism all through school.

I've also worked on a number of Indigenous Communities in the NT and am proud to count maybe 20 to 30 Aboriginal people as good friends or at least solid acquaintences so I know very well how racism works.

Then why are you cranking out all of this stuff which most people interpret as unadulterated latent racism?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 minute ago, dieter said:

Then why are you cranking out all of this stuff which most people interpret as unadulterated latent racism?

I like to follow facts & not jump on bandwagons.  Usually nobody is completely right or wrong. The truth is usually in a gray area in the middle.

What is it that I said that suggests I support racism ?

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Funny, I seem to recall reading that Buckley and Eddie have no recollection of HL being called chimp. And yet we have documented evidence that it was his nickname. Another player Simon Godfrey? recalls HL promoting the nickname. HL says he accepted it to fit in. Is it possible for Buckley not to know a team mates nickname? I call BS. I call this an example of systemic racism. The removal of Eddie is not the end of this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lumumba made another interesting point on Twitter, which was quoted in that article:

“The 'CFC Do Better' report was not a 'response to the Black Lives Matter movement', as McGuire suggested.

“CFC themselves announced the review was commissioned 'following accounts of racism made by Heritier Lumumba'.

I wondered what the hell Eddie was talking about too.

Either I'm right about him having cognitive issues or Eddie just couldn't help spinning things and big upping himself and tbe club (ie "we were on the front foot, are leaders and wanted to respond to the blm. Coz we're great. And not a racist club. Just some poor processes and policies' ).

The irony is rather than determinedly investigating Lumumba's accusations tbey instead looked to buy some time and cover with a review. That  with some help from Eddie , blew them up.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Cranky Franky said:

The point I'm making is that he's had a very privileged life both in financial terms and opportunities.

Some posters seem to think its obligatory to like HL. I didn't like him at Collingwood, or at Melbourne and I don't like him now

I think you are missing the point, it is not whether or not you like the guy.  What does that have to do with systematic racism remotely?  It sounds like you perhaps have that tall poppy syndrome and are a little bit jealous of his money and opportunities in life.  It does not honestly sound like he had a privileged upbringing either,. Trying to validate hate or dislike for somebody so strongly, for no real reason other than letting us all know how you feel about him personally seems fruitless.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Cranky Franky said:

Your narrative is 100% acceptance of anything HL or others say that condemns Collingwood in this saga but have a glib rebuttal or ready made excuse of any contradictory evidence.

 

What 'contradictory evidence' are you referring to? You sound as vague as Trump about an election he supposedly won by simply using the term 'Election Fraud' as evidence. A CFC commissioned enquiry found the CFC shall we say negligent in its duty of care to its players with regard to Racism. What's your so-called evidence to the contrary?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cranky Franky said:

The point I'm making is that he's had a very privileged life both in financial terms and opportunities.

"Worked bloody hard to become an AFL footballer" is what I think you meant to say.

Lumumba was born close to a port where his ancestors were brought as slaves. He moved across the world at age 3 and adopted a different first name so that it was easier for the kids at school.

He's copped way way worse then "Chimp" at Collingwood. Maybe put in some research that isn't fed to you by Rupert, especially given it's now known there were journalists who completely made up quotes and attributed them to him in search of clicks and attention.

He's also dealt with depression.

Yeah. So privileged.

I strongly suggest reading this article:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-05/heritier-lumumba-strength-in-african-culture-collingwood-afl/12820942

Edited by Lord Nev
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/10/2021 at 1:03 PM, Pickett2Jackson said:

People really love making excuses for Lumumba.  The same people who say he didn't fill out that AFL record player profile are the same ones saying his ex teammate Simon Buckley lied about Harry O making up the nickname Chimp for himself.

 The guy is toxic.

 

 

5 hours ago, Cranky Franky said:

Agree with u wholeheartedly PJ. This self obsessed prat made more money in footy than I made in a lifetime & didn't exactly endear himself to supporters with the way he finished at Melbourne.

He can stay in the US & count his $$. I reckon he & Eddie & the Pies all deserve each other.

 

1 hour ago, Cranky Franky said:

Ok Dieter I don't mind that you disagree with me but don't tell me I don't know how racism works because I am a wog as well and I copped racism all through school.

I've also worked on a number of Indigenous Communities in the NT and am proud to count maybe 20 to 30 Aboriginal people as good friends or at least solid acquaintences so I know very well how racism works.

 

1 hour ago, Cranky Franky said:

The point I'm making is that he's had a very privileged life both in financial terms and opportunities.

Some posters seem to think its obligatory to like HL. I didn't like him at Collingwood, or at Melbourne and I don't like him now

I don't know him, never met him so don't know whether I like him or not. He comes across as a bit of a merchant banker but it doesn't mean he doesn't have a case, it doesn't mean he wasn't subjected to the abuse he says he has.

Take the personality out of it and look at the issue.

...and as for the aboriginal friends and understanding how racism works, I think you only truly know if you walk in their shoes.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dieter said:

What 'contradictory evidence' are you referring to? You sound as vague as Trump about an election he supposedly won by simply using the term 'Election Fraud' as evidence. A CFC commissioned enquiry found the CFC shall we say negligent in its duty of care to its players with regard to Racism. What's your so-called evidence to the contrary?

Several, the Walid Ali interview, comments from contemporary players and the 2006 interview abt his nickname- all have been swept under the carpet.

Anyhow we clearly disagree so any further discussion is pointless - think I'll focus on the footy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

"Worked bloody hard to become an AFL footballer" is what I think you meant to say.

Lumumba was born close to a port where his ancestors were brought as slaves. He moved across the world at age 3 and adopted a different first name so that it was easier for the kids at school.

He's copped way way worse then "Chimp" at Collingwood. Maybe put in some research that isn't fed to you by Rupert, especially given it's now known there were journalists who completely made up quotes and attributed them to him in search of clicks and attention.

He's also dealt with depression.

Yeah. So privileged.

I strongly suggest reading this article:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-05/heritier-lumumba-strength-in-african-culture-collingwood-afl/12820942

As the modern virtue signallers say "Wow Just Wow"

Not sure of the relevance of his birthplace or ancestors or depression - you seem to be besotted with HL.

Surprised you don't reckon someone who has earn't enough to retire at 31 isn't privileged. 

He has had a thoroughly middle class Australian upbringing.

Suggest you look at the life of Polly Farmer, Robbie Muir or Syd Jackson if you want to read about real struggles and adversity.

Anyhow you are entitled to your opinion & we are clearly not going to agree about it so think I'll leave HL & move to other matters.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Cranky Franky said:

As the modern virtue signallers say "Wow Just Wow"

Not sure of the relevance of his birthplace or ancestors or depression - you seem to be besotted with HL.

Surprised you don't reckon someone who has earn't enough to retire at 31 isn't privileged. 

He has had a thoroughly middle class Australian upbringing.

Suggest you look at the life of Polly Farmer, Robbie Muir or Syd Jackson if you want to read about real struggles and adversity.

Anyhow you are entitled to your opinion & we are clearly not going to agree about it so think I'll leave HL & move to other matters.

You don't understand how his birthplace, ancestry or mental health impacts his "privilege"? Righto.

He's retired from football yes, but he hasn't ceased working.

I get that you don't like him, you've made that painfully obvious, what you haven't managed to explain is how that is any relevance at all to his experience of racism.

Although I shouldn't expect much in the way of empathy from anyone who uses the term "virtue signallers".

You've really outed yourself here and you don't even see it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Demon17 said:

Fair comment, but I was dissappointed in Jason Mifsuds comments this morning. He is/was part of the AFL machine

Isn't Mifsud the guy who declared jihad against Neeld and it turned out to be just a misunderstanding?

And if I'm not mistaken (stand to be corrected) he was in the lynching of Matt Rendell who made the seemingly uncontroversial remark that indigenous players from remote communities have a harder time settling in to big AFL cities?

His track record in this area isn't exactly stellar.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lord Nev said:

You don't understand how his birthplace, ancestry or mental health impacts his "privilege"? Righto.

He's retired from football yes, but he hasn't ceased working.

I get that you don't like him, you've made that painfully obvious, what you haven't managed to explain is how that is any relevance at all to his experience of racism.

Although I shouldn't expect much in the way of empathy from anyone who uses the term "virtue signallers".

You've really outed yourself here and you don't even see it.

What is his job exactly?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

And if I'm not mistaken (stand to be corrected) he was in the lynching of Matt Rendell who made the seemingly uncontroversial remark that indigenous players from remote communities have a harder time settling in to big AFL cities?

I don't have an opinion on Mifsud one way or the other. Matt Rendell's quote was that, as a recruiting manager, he would be unlikely to recruit an indigenous player unless they had one white parent. Sure, his underlying point might have been that Indigenous players from remote communities face additional hurdles adjusting to the AFL, which is obviously valid. But what he said was racist in the most literal, unambiguous sense possible. The widespread outrage at the time was pretty well justified.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Mazer Rackham said:

Isn't Mifsud the guy who declared jihad against Neeld and it turned out to be just a misunderstanding?

And if I'm not mistaken (stand to be corrected) he was in the lynching of Matt Rendell who made the seemingly uncontroversial remark that indigenous players from remote communities have a harder time settling in to big AFL cities?

His track record in this area isn't exactly stellar.

Correct on both counts. He should know better , but very well connected so gets away with it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

"Worked bloody hard to become an AFL footballer" is what I think you meant to say.

Lumumba was born close to a port where his ancestors were brought as slaves. He moved across the world at age 3 and adopted a different first name so that it was easier for the kids at school.

He's copped way way worse then "Chimp" at Collingwood. Maybe put in some research that isn't fed to you by Rupert, especially given it's now known there were journalists who completely made up quotes and attributed them to him in search of clicks and attention.

He's also dealt with depression.

Yeah. So privileged.

I strongly suggest reading this article:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-05/heritier-lumumba-strength-in-african-culture-collingwood-afl/12820942

Crank sees it through “As long as they behave like good white boys, they will be accepted” eyes ? 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/11/2021 at 6:20 PM, Mazer Rackham said:

Isn't Mifsud the guy who declared jihad against Neeld and it turned out to be just a misunderstanding?

And if I'm not mistaken (stand to be corrected) he was in the lynching of Matt Rendell who made the seemingly uncontroversial remark that indigenous players from remote communities have a harder time settling in to big AFL cities?

His track record in this area isn't exactly stellar.

rendell's comments were a bit more inflammatory than that tho; said he wouldn't recruit an indigenous player unless they had one white parent - he said it was a 'throwaway line' but it obviously - and fairly - caused a ruckus

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-03-20/rendell-racist-comment-throw-away-line/3900240

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/11/2021 at 2:50 PM, NeveroddoreveN said:

I think you are missing the point, it is not whether or not you like the guy.  What does that have to do with systematic racism remotely?  It sounds like you perhaps have that tall poppy syndrome and are a little bit jealous of his money and opportunities in life.  It does not honestly sound like he had a privileged upbringing either,. Trying to validate hate or dislike for somebody so strongly, for no real reason other than letting us all know how you feel about him personally seems fruitless.

10000000000% brother...

ps... I miss @Skuit

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/13/2021 at 7:04 PM, Engorged Onion said:

10000000000% brother...

ps... I miss @Skuit

Still lurking on occasion mate, but keeping the opinions to myself. That said, I've never really been inclined to open any potentially racially-charged topics on Demonland in the past until you basically summonsed me here. Haven't and won't read this thread back. You can't change small-minded bias on an internet forum. Meanwhile, "Free the Darwin 15" - something to properly rally around. That's me 'virtue-signalling' on here and every day on the fence of the local detention centre. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Skuit said:

Still lurking on occasion mate, but keeping the opinions to myself. That said, I've never really been inclined to open any potentially racially-charged topics on Demonland in the past until you basically summonsed me here. Haven't and won't read this thread back. You can't change small-minded bias on an internet forum. Meanwhile, "Free the Darwin 15" - something to properly rally around. That's me 'virtue-signalling' on here and every day on the fence of the local detention centre. 

Bloody PC police, snowflake virtue signalers

 

 :roos:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    THE ICING ON THE QUAKE by Whispering Jack

    It’s not Christmas yet but if the Melbourne wins its last game of the 2021 season, then many of its fans will be celebrating early. There already are some parts of our town where the pending festivity is preordained. Houses are decked out with red and blue banners and streamers, some of which appeared as early as last Saturday week, on the morning after the Demons’ magnificent 83-point crushing of Geelong in their preliminary final at Optus Stadium. While it’s great to see the numbers of lo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CAT SKINNING by George On The Outer

    When they defeated the Geelong Cats in the 2021 AFL Preliminary Final on Friday night in Perth, Melbourne proved that there is more than one way to skin those cats.  They did it in the ruck and in the middle, they did it in the forward line, they did it in defence and around the ground, but importantly, each and every player a Demon guernsey spent his night at Optus Stadium skinning an opponent. Following the after-the-siren win against Geelong in Round 23, there was an expectation of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE POINTY END by The Oracle

    The AFL’s two oldest clubs, Melbourne and Geelong, face off on Friday evening in a sudden death Preliminary Final. It’s a game that promises plenty in terms of fascination and intrigue as a result of the rivalry that’s been building between the teams over recent encounters that have been tight struggles which have gone to the wire with two of them decided by after-the-siren goals. The added touch of mystery attached to this week’s meeting comes by virtue of the fact that it’s going to take

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE VFL YEAR THAT NEVER WAS by KC from Casey

    The rising case numbers and the continuing lockdowns in Victoria and NSW spelled doom for the 2021 VFL season which went through a slow, painful demise before its recent official cancellation. After weeks of indecision, the AFL decided to pull the plug on the season with the 10-0 Bulldogs recognised as minor premier, but without a premiership cup and without awarding the J.J. Liston Medal for the best and fairest VFL player. It was somewhat fortuitous for the integrity of the competition t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TAMING THE LIONS by George On The Outer

    With nine finals debutants in the side, the Melbourne Football Club had a daunting assignment ahead of it in the First Qualifying Final — to overcome the competition’s highest scoring side, the Brisbane Lions. In the end, the Demons accomplished the task by putting the bite on their opponents on their way to taming the Lions and recording a 33 point win that propelled them into one the two Preliminary Finals of 2021.   It was one of those debutants, Luke Jackson, who put the bite in more

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RETURN TO NEVERLAND by Whispering Jack

    The greatest Demon A HIGHWAY OF DEMONS by Whispering Jack CHAPTER SIXTEEN - RETURN TO NEVERLAND  I have a six year old grandson who recently took up the family tradition of following the Demons. He had his first taste of the game a few years ago when he went to the “G” with his parents to watch the 107-point massacre of Carlton and he went to another game in the following season which was also a W for the Dees. But his appetite for the club has grown exponentially this year and wh

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 13

    METAMORPHOSIS by Whispering Jack

    I’ve always believed that when the home and away matches come to an end, the football season takes on a completely different shape and character. During the regular season, each team’s goals progress as the weeks pass and if you’re good enough to survive and make the grade, the situation changes. The comparison can be made with the life cycle of a butterfly going through stages from egg to larva to caterpillar, cocoon and in the end to a bright and colourful creature that emerges from darkness i

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STEALING THE CATS’ CREAM by George On The Outer

    They were leading by 44 points well into the third quarter of a game to decide the minor premier, having kicked nine unanswered goals. The Cats were about to lap up their bowl of cream, dreaming of next week but the Demons led by Max Gawn had other ideas. In a stunning finish, they stole the game from under them to claim the plaudits as best team and top of ladder position. In a remarkable game, it all came down to Max having to kick the winning goal after the final siren, something which s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SKIN THE CATS by Whispering Jack

    The task ahead for the Demons as they wend their way down the Princes Freeway to Geelong on Saturday night will be to skin the Cats. For them to come away with the points from this game would mark an historic occasion for the club as it will finish on top of the ladder for the first time since its last premiership year, 1964. And it was in that year, that a trip to Corio Bay to meet the reigning premiers in Round 12, was one of the catalysts for Melbourne’s surge to the flag. It was a top o

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    REACH FOR THE STARS by George on the Outer

    It was a game of great significance for the Melbourne Football Club. A win would see them keep top spot on the ladder with one round remaining. To achieve top place in the Round for Reach when we are all inspired to “Be Like Jim” and reach for the stars was a great way of honouring one of our heroes. All the better given that it was done by way of an emphatic 41 point win against Adelaide! It is worth remembering that, but for the umpiring mistake in the previous encounter with the Crows, t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TICKETS PLEASE by The Oracle

    A lot of water has passed under Princes Bridge in the five years since Melbourne last met Adelaide on the MCG. The Crows were riding high at the time while the Demons were mid-table and scrambling for a win to stay in the race for the finals. The 30,000 fans who had tickets to the game were thoroughly entertained by a close, high scoring affair that ended in tears for fans of the home team. Not even an eight-goal second term could help them.   Times have changed.    In the fi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ELECTRIFYING by George On The Outer

    What more can they throw at the Demons of 2021? Covid restrictions, hubs, aircraft circling between airports before landing for games and now a match stopped for 30 minutes to give a flagging opponent its second wind? To date, none of those distractions has swayed the team from their winning objectives. The game against West Coast in Perth can be marked on their report card as another positive outcome after yet another test. There was much at stake for both sides.  Melbourne had t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...