Jump to content

  • Podcast: Grand Final Preview      

  • Podcast: Gary Pert Interview & Grand Final Preview      

Review Finds Collingwood Guilty of Systemic Racism


rjay
 Share


Recommended Posts

Amazing that only Collingwood Legends Members and above are allowed to vote in their board elections. No wonder Eddie has been able to rule unimpeded for over two decades! For a club that proclaims blue collar roots it is extremely elitist to disenfranchise the "riff raff" lower ranked members.

Source: multiple Collingwood posters on BigFooty

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 4
  • Shocked 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, daisycutter said:

given all the orange gear i'm inclined to think it's a pic of the complete giants supporter base towing a giant marooned ship

No.  Far too many in the picture. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

 

The Collingwood degeneracy transcends race, colour and creed.

Let us not forget the cowardly filth supporters who attacked Nathan Jones dad in the MCG carpark as a very young Zak Jones looked on helplessly.

Also clearly recall them spitting on Allen Jakovich at Victoria park and no doubt countless other players.

A good mate of mine, and former Grand Final Umpire, tells me that when the umpires in the Vic Park days were told thursday night where they were allocated, if it was Vicpark they were simply told "...Your at the Zoo this week..."  They all called it by that name and entering and leaving the arena was only for the brave. They hated it.

Mainly the spitting from above the wire roof of the race he says. He could deal with rotten fruit and other rubbish.

Their culture was and is an effing disgrace.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Demon17 said:

A good mate of mine, and former Grand Final Umpire, tells me that when the umpires in the Vic Park days were told thursday night where they were allocated, if it was Vicpark they were simply told "...Your at the Zoo this week..."  They all called it by that name and entering and leaving the arena was only for the brave. They hated it.

Mainly the spitting from above the wire roof of the race he says. He could deal with rotten fruit and other rubbish.

Their culture was and is an effing disgrace.

Still happens today, a couple of years ago I noticed in European “football” stadiums they have moveable walkways for players and officials. As in when they enter or exit the tunnel they pull out a long cascading tunnel so they can’t be spit on or have objects thrown at them. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Demon17 said:

A good mate of mine, and former Grand Final Umpire, tells me that when the umpires in the Vic Park days were told thursday night where they were allocated, if it was Vicpark they were simply told "...Your at the Zoo this week..."  They all called it by that name and entering and leaving the arena was only for the brave. They hated it.

Mainly the spitting from above the wire roof of the race he says. He could deal with rotten fruit and other rubbish.

Their culture was and is an effing disgrace.

A lot of the suburban grounds were like that I think. Windy Hill and Moorabbin wouldn't have been much better. In the early days of the VFL Carlton and North supporters were notorious for their behaviour including multiple incidents of throwing rocks at umpires and opposition players.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Cards13 said:

Still happens today, a couple of years ago I noticed in European “football” stadiums they have moveable walkways for players and officials. As in when they enter or exit the tunnel they pull out a long cascading tunnel so they can’t be spit on or have objects thrown at them. 

They had that at the MCG a few years ago. A mate of mine built it. Don't recall seeing if after the one year...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 05/02/2021 at 1:14 PM, Dr. Gonzo said:

Amazing that only Collingwood Legends Members and above are allowed to vote in their board elections. No wonder Eddie has been able to rule unimpeded for over two decades! For a club that proclaims blue collar roots it is extremely elitist to disenfranchise the "riff raff" lower ranked members.

Source: multiple Collingwood posters on BigFooty

For a club that comes from a blue collar background, it's strange that it's run by the elites of the club,, it just goes to show the culture of the club, that the leadership of the club  looks down on the poorer members, which makes the club strong.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's a special day in this house of Collingwood supporters. It's junior's birthday!

Mum sez: it's a speshul day for ya, Millane. Yez dad even stole some rich b*****d's wallet so's ya can get sumpfin' speshul on ya birfday.

Junior sez: aw geez Mum. You an' dad aren't pr*cks after all.

Mum sez: watch ya [censored]in' language, ya c***. Now you an' ya sister finish ya brekfest, we're goin' ta Rebel Sports.

Off they go to Rebel Sports. To the footy jumper section.

Mum sez: now yez can pick out any jumper ya want. We'll pay for it on Dad's credit card.

Junior sez: I didn't know Dad had a credit card. How come it sez "Jonathan Marsden" on the card? That's not Dad's name?

Mum sez: nevva mind about that. Now pick out a nice jumper, take ya time, I'm gunna shoplift some Nike shoes for Granny's birfday.

Junior picks out a dark blue jumper with "C F C" in concentric letters on the front.

Sister sez: wotcha pick that one for? That's not a Collingwood jumper!

Sister punches junior in the guts.

Sister sez: Mum! Mum!

Mum comes running.

Mum sez: what ya -- you little barzid. What are you doin' even touchin' that jumper?

Junior sez: you sez pick out a nice jumper. I like this one!

Mum sez. You barzid. How dare you.

Mum whacks him across the head, twice.

Mum sez: we're goin' straight home. By Daicos. You've brought disgrace to this family. I hope ya proud a yaself. What would Eddie McGuire say? God save him from having to witness this outrage! 

Junior sez: it's my birfday an' I want this jumper!

Mum sez: Gordon Coventry! Wait til your farver hears about this. How are we goin' ta get this abomination home? We're not payin' for it!

Sister sez: I'll hide it in De Goey's stroller. De Goey! De Goey! Who's a good girl? Mummy's gunna put this ... thing ... in ya stroller. Now be quiet like a good girl.

They go home in silence, with the jumper hidden in baby De Goey's stroller.

Dad gets home.

Dad sez: By Nathan, I've had a hell of a day. What with Cennalink, the nags, the dogs, the pokies, an' trainin' at the Holden Cenna ...  I've [censored]in' had it. Hey Mum, did ya shoplift anyfink from the bottle shop? A man's thirsty. An how's the birfday boy? Did ya get yaself a nice jumper?

Mum sez: tell ya farver.

Junior sez: Mum sez, pick out a nice jumper, an' so I did. This one!

Dad gasps in shock.

Dad sez:  Jock McHale save me! You little barzid. You barzid. You [censored]in' barzid. I cannot believe what I am seeing.  Me own flesh an' blood. Ya know yer named after Darren Millane, don'tcha? How can you bring shame to Darren Millane like this? By the ghost of Lou Richards. Come 'ere. This is gunna hurt you a lot more than it's gunna hurt me.

He gives junior an almighty thrashing.

Dad sez: well son. I hope yez 'ave learned a lesson from this.

Junior sez: (sobbing) yes I have.

Dad sez: well, what have ya learned?

Junior sez: I've only barracked for Carlton for one day and already I hate youse Collingwood c***s!

Edited by Mazer Rackham
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/4/2021 at 2:12 PM, Pickett2Jackson said:

 

The Collingwood degeneracy transcends race, colour and creed.

Let us not forget the cowardly filth supporters who attacked Nathan Jones dad in the MCG carpark as a very young Zak Jones looked on helplessly.

Also clearly recall them spitting on Allen Jakovich at Victoria park and no doubt countless other players.

Mr bother play U19's and 2's for the D's. At Victoria Park they would station people around the boundary to abuse the opposition.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

It's a special day in this house of Collingwood supporters. It's junior's birthday!

Mum sez: it's a speshul day for ya, Millane. Yez dad even stole some rich b*****d's wallet so's ya can get sumpfin' speshul on ya birfday.

Junior sez: aw geez Mum. You an' dad aren't pr*cks after all.

Mum sez: watch ya [censored]in' language, ya c***. Now you an' ya sister finish ya brekfest, we're goin' ta Rebel Sports.

Off they go to Rebel Sports. To the footy jumper section.

Mum sez: now yez can pick out any jumper ya want. We'll pay for it on Dad's credit card.

Junior sez: I didn't know Dad had a credit card. How come it sez "Jonathan Marsden" on the card? That's not Dad's name?

Mum sez: nevva mind about that. Now pick out a nice jumper, take ya time, I'm gunna shoplift some Nike shoes for Granny's birfday.

Junior picks out a dark blue jumper with "C F C" in concentric letters on the front.

Sister sez: wotcha pick that one for? That's not a Collingwood jumper!

Sister punches junior in the guts.

Sister sez: Mum! Mum!

Mum comes running.

Mum sez: what ya -- you little barzid. What are you doin' even touchin' that jumper?

Junior sez: you sez pick out a nice jumper. I like this one!

Mum sez. You barzid. How dare you.

Mum whacks him across the head, twice.

Mum sez: we're goin' straight home. By Daicos. You've brought disgrace to this family. I hope ya proud a yaself. What would Eddie McGuire say? God save him from having to witness this outrage! 

Junior sez: it's my birfday an' I want this jumper!

Mum sez: Gordon Coventry! Wait til your farver hears about this. How are we goin' ta get this abomination home? We're not payin' for it!

Sister sez: I'll hide it in De Goey's stroller. De Goey! De Goey! Who's a good girl? Mummy's gunna put this ... thing ... in ya stroller. Now be quiet like a good girl.

They go home in silence, with the jumper hidden in baby De Goey's stroller.

Dad gets home.

Dad sez: By Nathan, I've had a hell of a day. What with Cennalink, the nags, the dogs, the pokies, an' trainin' at the Holden Cenna ...  I've [censored]in' had it. Hey Mum, did ya shoplift anyfink from the bottle shop? A man's thirsty. An how's the birfday boy? Did ya get yaself a nice jumper?

Mum sez: tell ya farver.

Junior sez: Mum sez, pick out a nice jumper, an' so I did. This one!

Dad gasps in shock.

Dad sez:  Jock McHale save me! You little barzid. You barzid. You [censored]in' barzid. I cannot believe what I am seeing.  Me own flesh an' blood. Ya know yer named after Darren Millane, don'tcha? How can you bring shame to Darren Millane like this? By the ghost of Lou Richards. Come 'ere. This is gunna hurt you a lot more than it's gunna hurt me.

He gives junior an almighty thrashing.

Dad sez: well son. I hope yez 'ave learned a lesson from this.

Junior sez: (sobbing) yes I have.

Dad sez: well, what have ya learned?

Junior sez: I've only barracked for Carlton for one day and already I hate youse Collingwood c***s!

Coupl'a corrections from a strine pedant. "Berfday" is speld "berfd-e-e." And you can't say, "You've brought disgrace to this family," it's "You've brung disgrace to this family." 

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mazer Rackham said:

It's a special day in this house of Collingwood supporters. It's junior's birthday!

Mum sez: it's a speshul day for ya, Millane. Yez dad even stole some rich b*****d's wallet so's ya can get sumpfin' speshul on ya birfday.

Junior sez: aw geez Mum. You an' dad aren't pr*cks after all.

Mum sez: watch ya [censored]in' language, ya c***. Now you an' ya sister finish ya brekfest, we're goin' ta Rebel Sports.

Off they go to Rebel Sports. To the footy jumper section.

Mum sez: now yez can pick out any jumper ya want. We'll pay for it on Dad's credit card.

Junior sez: I didn't know Dad had a credit card. How come it sez "Jonathan Marsden" on the card? That's not Dad's name?

Mum sez: nevva mind about that. Now pick out a nice jumper, take ya time, I'm gunna shoplift some Nike shoes for Granny's birfday.

Junior picks out a dark blue jumper with "C F C" in concentric letters on the front.

Sister sez: wotcha pick that one for? That's not a Collingwood jumper!

Sister punches junior in the guts.

Sister sez: Mum! Mum!

Mum comes running.

Mum sez: what ya -- you little barzid. What are you doin' even touchin' that jumper?

Junior sez: you sez pick out a nice jumper. I like this one!

Mum sez. You barzid. How dare you.

Mum whacks him across the head, twice.

Mum sez: we're goin' straight home. By Daicos. You've brought disgrace to this family. I hope ya proud a yaself. What would Eddie McGuire say? God save him from having to witness this outrage! 

Junior sez: it's my birfday an' I want this jumper!

Mum sez: Gordon Coventry! Wait til your farver hears about this. How are we goin' ta get this abomination home? We're not payin' for it!

Sister sez: I'll hide it in De Goey's stroller. De Goey! De Goey! Who's a good girl? Mummy's gunna put this ... thing ... in ya stroller. Now be quiet like a good girl.

They go home in silence, with the jumper hidden in baby De Goey's stroller.

Dad gets home.

Dad sez: By Nathan, I've had a hell of a day. What with Cennalink, the nags, the dogs, the pokies, an' trainin' at the Holden Cenna ...  I've [censored]in' had it. Hey Mum, did ya shoplift anyfink from the bottle shop? A man's thirsty. An how's the birfday boy? Did ya get yaself a nice jumper?

Mum sez: tell ya farver.

Junior sez: Mum sez, pick out a nice jumper, an' so I did. This one!

Dad gasps in shock.

Dad sez:  Jock McHale save me! You little barzid. You barzid. You [censored]in' barzid. I cannot believe what I am seeing.  Me own flesh an' blood. Ya know yer named after Darren Millane, don'tcha? How can you bring shame to Darren Millane like this? By the ghost of Lou Richards. Come 'ere. This is gunna hurt you a lot more than it's gunna hurt me.

He gives junior an almighty thrashing.

Dad sez: well son. I hope yez 'ave learned a lesson from this.

Junior sez: (sobbing) yes I have.

Dad sez: well, what have ya learned?

Junior sez: I've only barracked for Carlton for one day and already I hate youse Collingwood c***s!

Sad but true. There is many lives like this and not all are necessarily filth supporters. 

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/6/2021 at 11:12 AM, Dr. Gonzo said:

A lot of the suburban grounds were like that I think. Windy Hill and Moorabbin wouldn't have been much better. In the early days of the VFL Carlton and North supporters were notorious for their behaviour including multiple incidents of throwing rocks at umpires and opposition players.

Your'e probably right  and issues at other grounds.  But Vic. Park was seen as a special case by the umpiring fraternity.

The thing my friend says is the VicPark was hostile to a high degree,  even if the Pies won.

The members in that stand still had the focus to abuse the umpires even as their triumphant team walked off victorius.

Strange mindsets IMO. What he hated more though was when he was stuck at the cheer squad end goals.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

Former Demon and Pie Simon Buckley says Lumumba gave himself the nickname he is now so offended about and trying to make money off.  

 

img_7096-jpg.1052630

img_7097-jpg.1052629

extraordinary clam by a  ex team mate must be a grain of truth by Simon

  • Facepalm 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Why do you think that? Lumumba started at Collingwood in 2005. S Buckley didn't join Collingwood until late 2010. How would S Buckley know how Lumumba got the nickname?

Well he said that Harry would call himself that nickname, if true you can't be offended by a nickname you use  for yourself. And if he does then Harry is worse then a racist, he is a  hypocrites the worst people in the world.

  • Facepalm 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, don't make me angry said:

Well he said that Harry would call himself that nickname, if true you can't be offended by a nickname you use  for yourself. And if he does then Harry is worse then a racist, he is a  hypocrites the worst people in the world.

You'd be well aware of the machine that is AFL football, and the need to fit in.

The need to fit in if you are markedly different from others...

I cannot imagine an 18yo, who started in 2005 - with the playing list below... would kick up a fuss about a nick name bestowed upon him by his luminaries, or contemporaries, when all an 18yo wants to is fit and get selected.

And then you age a few years (but only still 22-25 ), and you know, no one else at the club (aside from Leon or other indigenous athletes) knows what it is like to not be white in and white male dominated industry.. (and you've  got the president of said club mouthing off the way he has always done)... 

I'd like you to really reconsider your statement there @don't make me angry

You've got no idea of what afl club land is like, nor do you know what it was like and his lived experience. 

 

Screen Shot 2021-02-07 at 5.14.37 pm.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-07 at 5.14.46 pm.png

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Why do you think that? Lumumba started at Collingwood in 2005. S Buckley didn't join Collingwood until late 2010. How would S Buckley know how Lumumba got the nickname?

 

24 minutes ago, don't make me angry said:

Well he said that Harry would call himself that nickname, if true you can't be offended by a nickname you use  for yourself. And if he does then Harry is worse then a racist, he is a  hypocrites the worst people in the world.

That gets tricky. 

On the one hand, Lumumba really might have thought little of the nickname and run with it while he felt secure at the club.  Only once he was on the proverbial outer did it sting and perhaps only then did he realise he was himself enabling systemic racism by using his position of security to imagine himself 'immune.  Later, the cognitive dissonance of that is now fuelling his anger in unhealthy ways.

OR

Simon Buckley, arriving five years after Lumumba, was witnessing exactly the situation that Lumumba described as so hurtful; by 2010 it was established that at Collingwood there was no point trying to object to the nickname so he had little option other than to try to make as light of it as possible, all the while feeling like he was betraying himself by going along with it and effectively being forced to become a part of the systemic racism problem in order to not be branded 'trouble' and 'against the team'.

Both are possible, but my money would be on option B.

Absolutely, seriously, you can be offended by the nickname you use yourself.  It's would actually be the deepest injury when you feel you have no choice but to accept that that is now your nickname.  That would also be the tangible embodiment of systemic racism or any other systemic denigration.  Most of us, I think, would only have to think back to school days to come up with dozens of examples of people who had to get by with pretty crappy nicknames they didn't like but didn't get a choice on.

That reminds me; I've been in a call-centre workplace where the shift manager had managed to give nicknames including 'tranny-lover', 'the fat Greek', and 'muzzie girl', and since this awful woman had total power over shifts and employment and would make a very loud fuss about 'just being a joke' right in the middle of the call centre if anyone so much as raised an eyebrow.  (Suffice to say I didn't last long at this place, but to be fair there was a variety of reasons)

It is entirely possible that everything Buckley is saying he witnessed is true, but, again, it is precisely the power of systemic racism that puts the curtain up so Buckley isn't aware of what's going on behind, and, in turn, is sincerely annoyed at Lumumba.

And there it is - systemic racism has successfully put a wall up between Lumumba and Buckley where Buckley (and this is without any accusation that Simon is racist) sees Lumumba as a hypocrite looking for attention.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Simon buckley is an absolute gronk of a human.

Plays footy up in Echuca and his treatment towards some of the netballers have been disgusting.

Its no surprise that he's come up with that argument against H

The fact @don't make me angry has been sucked into believing this gronk makes you question society in general. 

https://www.news.com.au/national/footy-player-simon-buckley-admits-damaging-ex-girlfriends-car/news-story/897e17cefcd77a7bbc140431f587d3ba?sv=70544ebd71f1a5a16359b0c57d9eb3bc#:~:text=COLLINGWOOD player Simon Buckley has,handed to police on Friday.

 

 

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

Former Demon and Pie Simon Buckley says Lumumba gave himself the nickname he is now so offended about and trying to make money off.  

 

img_7096-jpg.1052630

img_7097-jpg.1052629

Trust you to regurgitate this vile bulldust from a man who is, shall we say, not without sin?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, don't make me angry said:

Well he said that Harry would call himself that nickname, if true you can't be offended by a nickname you use  for yourself. And if he does then Harry is worse then a racist, he is a  hypocrites the worst people in the world.

ER, for the record, I came to this country in 1956 as a 6 year old from Germany. The abuse I suffered was physical and mental.  It was obviously racist abuse. Because I was so desperate to 'fit in' the racial insults became a part of my life. When I was thirty five, my best friend was a Jewish dude called Sam. He liked a drink. He'd turn up at my flat in Alma Road and tell me how bad he felt that the only place in East St Kilda he could get a drink was at a Nazi's house. Then he'd borrow my Primo Levi books. At least he returned them.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    THE ICING ON THE QUAKE by Whispering Jack

    It’s not Christmas yet but if the Melbourne wins its last game of the 2021 season, then many of its fans will be celebrating early. There already are some parts of our town where the pending festivity is preordained. Houses are decked out with red and blue banners and streamers, some of which appeared as early as last Saturday week, on the morning after the Demons’ magnificent 83-point crushing of Geelong in their preliminary final at Optus Stadium. While it’s great to see the numbers of lo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CAT SKINNING by George On The Outer

    When they defeated the Geelong Cats in the 2021 AFL Preliminary Final on Friday night in Perth, Melbourne proved that there is more than one way to skin those cats.  They did it in the ruck and in the middle, they did it in the forward line, they did it in defence and around the ground, but importantly, each and every player a Demon guernsey spent his night at Optus Stadium skinning an opponent. Following the after-the-siren win against Geelong in Round 23, there was an expectation of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE POINTY END by The Oracle

    The AFL’s two oldest clubs, Melbourne and Geelong, face off on Friday evening in a sudden death Preliminary Final. It’s a game that promises plenty in terms of fascination and intrigue as a result of the rivalry that’s been building between the teams over recent encounters that have been tight struggles which have gone to the wire with two of them decided by after-the-siren goals. The added touch of mystery attached to this week’s meeting comes by virtue of the fact that it’s going to take

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE VFL YEAR THAT NEVER WAS by KC from Casey

    The rising case numbers and the continuing lockdowns in Victoria and NSW spelled doom for the 2021 VFL season which went through a slow, painful demise before its recent official cancellation. After weeks of indecision, the AFL decided to pull the plug on the season with the 10-0 Bulldogs recognised as minor premier, but without a premiership cup and without awarding the J.J. Liston Medal for the best and fairest VFL player. It was somewhat fortuitous for the integrity of the competition t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TAMING THE LIONS by George On The Outer

    With nine finals debutants in the side, the Melbourne Football Club had a daunting assignment ahead of it in the First Qualifying Final — to overcome the competition’s highest scoring side, the Brisbane Lions. In the end, the Demons accomplished the task by putting the bite on their opponents on their way to taming the Lions and recording a 33 point win that propelled them into one the two Preliminary Finals of 2021.   It was one of those debutants, Luke Jackson, who put the bite in more

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RETURN TO NEVERLAND by Whispering Jack

    The greatest Demon A HIGHWAY OF DEMONS by Whispering Jack CHAPTER SIXTEEN - RETURN TO NEVERLAND  I have a six year old grandson who recently took up the family tradition of following the Demons. He had his first taste of the game a few years ago when he went to the “G” with his parents to watch the 107-point massacre of Carlton and he went to another game in the following season which was also a W for the Dees. But his appetite for the club has grown exponentially this year and wh

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 13

    METAMORPHOSIS by Whispering Jack

    I’ve always believed that when the home and away matches come to an end, the football season takes on a completely different shape and character. During the regular season, each team’s goals progress as the weeks pass and if you’re good enough to survive and make the grade, the situation changes. The comparison can be made with the life cycle of a butterfly going through stages from egg to larva to caterpillar, cocoon and in the end to a bright and colourful creature that emerges from darkness i

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STEALING THE CATS’ CREAM by George On The Outer

    They were leading by 44 points well into the third quarter of a game to decide the minor premier, having kicked nine unanswered goals. The Cats were about to lap up their bowl of cream, dreaming of next week but the Demons led by Max Gawn had other ideas. In a stunning finish, they stole the game from under them to claim the plaudits as best team and top of ladder position. In a remarkable game, it all came down to Max having to kick the winning goal after the final siren, something which s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SKIN THE CATS by Whispering Jack

    The task ahead for the Demons as they wend their way down the Princes Freeway to Geelong on Saturday night will be to skin the Cats. For them to come away with the points from this game would mark an historic occasion for the club as it will finish on top of the ladder for the first time since its last premiership year, 1964. And it was in that year, that a trip to Corio Bay to meet the reigning premiers in Round 12, was one of the catalysts for Melbourne’s surge to the flag. It was a top o

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    REACH FOR THE STARS by George on the Outer

    It was a game of great significance for the Melbourne Football Club. A win would see them keep top spot on the ladder with one round remaining. To achieve top place in the Round for Reach when we are all inspired to “Be Like Jim” and reach for the stars was a great way of honouring one of our heroes. All the better given that it was done by way of an emphatic 41 point win against Adelaide! It is worth remembering that, but for the umpiring mistake in the previous encounter with the Crows, t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TICKETS PLEASE by The Oracle

    A lot of water has passed under Princes Bridge in the five years since Melbourne last met Adelaide on the MCG. The Crows were riding high at the time while the Demons were mid-table and scrambling for a win to stay in the race for the finals. The 30,000 fans who had tickets to the game were thoroughly entertained by a close, high scoring affair that ended in tears for fans of the home team. Not even an eight-goal second term could help them.   Times have changed.    In the fi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ELECTRIFYING by George On The Outer

    What more can they throw at the Demons of 2021? Covid restrictions, hubs, aircraft circling between airports before landing for games and now a match stopped for 30 minutes to give a flagging opponent its second wind? To date, none of those distractions has swayed the team from their winning objectives. The game against West Coast in Perth can be marked on their report card as another positive outcome after yet another test. There was much at stake for both sides.  Melbourne had t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...