PREGAME: Rd 01 vs Fremantle

Pickett2Jackson

1 minute ago, drysdale demon said:

Good luck trying to get another game later in the year, it is our home game MCG is our ground that is where it should be played, the AFL had their chance to do it differently when they devised the draw, they would of had an idea then of attendance figures.

That's your view I have a different one. I think we play better away from the G might increase our chances at the dome.

5 minutes ago, drysdale demon said:

Good luck trying to get another game later in the year, it is our home game MCG is our ground that is where it should be played, the AFL had their chance to do it differently when they devised the draw, they would of had an idea then of attendance figures.

Should of handed it over then made our game v the bombers a home game for the next 3 years

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

This will seem like a ridiculous question so close to the start of the season, but am I right that the AFL app no longer shows games and that if I wish to view a game, Kayo is the way to go, to be able to watch on a device? 

Thanks in advance...

See page 4 top of the page.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, old dee said:

That's your view I have a different one. I think we play better away from the G might increase our chances at the dome.

We’ve trained at Casey all summer for the G. Plus there’d be a riot if we messed with our MCC members. If they wanted a bigger crowd for Ess-haw they could’ve flipped it to Sunday at the G. That’s what the AFL would’ve done if they respected their fans 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, old dee said:

If we get more than 25 I will be amazed. If we have 35-40 already going why is the club sending out multiple emails telling us to go?

We got almost 40k vs GWS r23 2018 and almost 40k vs Port R1 2019. We usually get about 27k vs Freo but with it being the first game many can go to for 18 months and being a sunny 27 degrees I would be disappointed if we didn't get around 35k at least.

And stuff Docklands, MCG is our home that's where we play. The Bombers have a problem that's their bad luck for signing up with Docklands 20 years ago.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

We’ve trained at Casey all summer for the G. Plus there’d be a riot if we messed with our MCC members. If they wanted a bigger crowd for Ess-haw they could’ve flipped it to Sunday at the G. That’s what the AFL would’ve done if they respected their fans 

Exactly though channel 7 wouldn't have liked it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Who’s going to kick our goals?

We’ll need a Spread of 8-9 players. 
fristch 3. T Mac and Kozzi 2

Trac, ANB, Spargo, Gus, Oliver, Jackson, gawn, Langdon etc kicking one 

as the tigers have shown you don’t need one or two players kicking 5-6 goals. It’s a team effort

• Like 5

10 hours ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Am I missing something?

Teams not announced on Thursdays anymore..?

Yes they made the call to stick with the same format as last year and name the teams the day before each game, it’s rubbish! 

• Sad 1
  • Angry 1

56 minutes ago, Better days ahead said:

Didn’t sleep that well last night. Excitement building. Doubt if I’ll get too much productive work done today either.

What time are the teams announced?

I had a nightmare. In it I had a nap and woke up at half time. Scrambled to get to the MCG in time. Got there just as the 4th was starting. Score was weirdly specific: Freo 8.3.51 Melb 4.4.28

Horrid dream.

• Facepalm 1
  • Shocked 1

26 minutes ago, praha said:

I had a nightmare. In it I had a nap and woke up at half time. Scrambled to get to the MCG in time. Got there just as the 4th was starting. Score was weirdly specific: Freo 8.3.51 Melb 4.4.28

Horrid dream.

Nightmare indeed 

9 hours ago, DubDee said:

We’ll need a Spread of 8-9 players. 
fristch 3. T Mac and Kozzi 2

Trac, ANB, Spargo, Gus, Oliver, Jackson, gawn, Langdon etc kicking one 

as the tigers have shown you don’t need one or two players kicking 5-6 goals. It’s a team effort

Would be a minor miracle if we got 7 goals from 3 of our forwards.

High chance this is a defensive & ugly affair and 10 goals wins it

3 minutes ago, BW511 said:

Would be a minor miracle if we got 7 goals from 3 of our forwards.

High chance this is a defensive & ugly affair and 10 goals wins it

Petracca will kick 4 and play 60/40 Mid fwd. I'd expect <Max to kick 2 as well!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, old dee said:

If we get more than 25 I will be amazed. If we have 35-40 already going why is the club sending out multiple emails telling us to go?

Hey old mate - are you going?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Pollyanna said:

Hey old mate - are you going?

No Polly, I will not be attending large public gatherings until I am vaccinated at the earliest. I know the risk is low but I am in the kill zone. I expected it would be happening soon but it looks more like June with every passing day.

40 minutes ago, old dee said:

No Polly, I will not be attending large public gatherings until I am vaccinated at the earliest. I know the risk is low but I am in the kill zone. I expected it would be happening soon but it looks more like June with every passing day.

Well that sounds like a sensible choice.

But how about you leave off and let the rest of us who are excited to see MFC at the MCG for the first time in 18 months enjoy it?

• Like 4
  • Love 1

This has a bit of round 1 2013 feel to it. I hope I’m wrong but a loss on Saturday will signify the beginning of the end for Goodwin. 

Nothing surprises me with this club anymore so a comfortable win could also easily happen

19 minutes ago, At the break of Gawn said:

This has a bit of round 1 2013 feel to it. I hope I’m wrong but a loss on Saturday will signify the beginning of the end for Goodwin. 

Nothing surprises me with this club anymore so a comfortable win could also easily happen

Perhaps more like round 1 2019 v Port.

Similarly bad outcome.

Edited by Ron Burgundy

1 hour ago, Pollyanna said:

Well that sounds like a sensible choice.

But how about you leave off and let the rest of us who are excited to see MFC at the MCG for the first time in 18 months enjoy it?

Well I hope you have a great time however I will say what I thing is right . Now a lot of people will have different views and they may well be right. Just my opinion right or wrong.

PS. Does my alternate view truely stop you from enjoying Saturday? 

Edited by old dee
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Red and Blue realist said:

Let's not forget, that he was recruited as a run all day, taller wingman, not for speed. Langdon is about speed. Tomlinson had a massive disadvantage last year that the quarters were reduced in time so it didn't allow his strengths to show (Hill from St Kilda was another similar player). It does show how highly rated he was that he held his spot as a defender. This year his endurance will be a massive boost for us, plus Langdon's endurance has gone through the roof from when he was at Freo. 

As I think I have said many times before, Tomlinson is such an endurance athlete he is always looking for and moving to space from opponents - and he does this very well from the wing with 2-way excursions into the old Stan Alves' territorial extravagance.

Our team do not look for him, trying to propel their backline ball possessions in the direction of Gawn, time and again.

To provide alternatives and direct support, Tomlinson has to run into the play from somewhere else - this makes him appear 'behind' the play' but in reality is coming frequently from an open space that has created an unused corridor into our forward line. Gawny's big bomb usually gets intercepted or another type of turnover occurs from the mark, kick or alternative taps to advantage. Tomlinson then runs back to his idle opponent to await another opportunity. 

A few 'eyes-up' coming from defensive efforts might well create an enormous advantage from these efforts and provide options from the predictable, sorely worn path to the LHS flank (from the backmen's perspectives). When on the wing, Tomlinson is doing exactly the correct thing - making 'something' out of what previously was 'nothing'. It also squares our play more towards the midline where we can be assessed as being particularly strong as an avenue to goal. Our deep forwards will be less inclined and compelled to lead or clear to the flanks from whence the percentages for goal-scoring are significantly reduced.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, At the break of Gawn said:

Mate the end of Goodwin as already begun!!

• Like 1