Hore & Spargo Ink New Deals

roy11

Spargo has his deficiencies but as some posters mentioned above he can play a part/role in terms of linkup play and score involvement. 

Hoping he grows his game further this year as well. Imagine 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, old dee said:

Those two are expected of every AFL player. They don't set him apart from anyone you would want to take the field. 

Cmon mate, you seriously think every AFL player has excellent inside 50 kicking skills? We have less than 5 on our list. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, old dee said:

One good and the other less some. I did expect he would get at least another year he has been the coach’s favourite since day one in spite ordinary form at Casey.

Spargo a coaches favourite?  I wouldn't have thought so.  He earned his spot in 2018, was injured and out of form in 2019 and was in and out of the side this year, although he probably cemented his sport more in the back half of this season, which was justified.  I don't think that qualifies him as a coaches favourite.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, deegirl said:

Two years for Spargo?  JFC. 

They clearly see something I don't.

Absolutely DEESGRACEFUL LIST MANAGEMENT WTF???

Spargo? Jaheezus one reason why are so poor!

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, deanox said:

I still think what sets Spargo apart is his ability to create, or add value to his disposals.

He is almost the anti-Oliver. He hardly gets any touches in comparison,  but none are incidental. They almost always improve our onfield position. 

I suspect he has the highest "score involvement to possession" ratio of any player on our list, and probably in the top handful of the AFL on that measure. It's a weird choice of statistic but it demonstrates how involved he is in our "connection".

I agree with you Deanox. Well said.

13 minutes ago, Grapeviney said:

Bigger than the Weideman surprise? You wrote him off just as emphatically..

He ain't there yet but he has improved. Where did he go in the last four games ? No goals against poor sides. Funny no one remembers me  asking every week why he was not playing when the side was screaming out a kpf. He is our only KPF  so from game 1 2021 play him or trade him. I have also said all along I am very to be wrong.

Edited by old dee

Two years for Spargo. wow. I thought he was on the fringe and deserved only one more year to show he is capable. Yes he had a good “quarter“ v Pies and was ok v Giants.  But was lost v Bulldogs and was shocking in final game v Dons [4 possessions and no pressure acts at all]
List management????? 

ireland irish GIF by PLAYMOBIL

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Two years for Spargo. wow. I thought he was on the fringe and deserved only one more year to show he is capable. Yes he had a good “quarter“ v Pies and was ok v Giants.  But was lost v Bulldogs and was shocking in final game v Dons [4 possessions and no pressure acts at all]
List management????? 

i'd rather the younger spargo gets two more years to prove himself than ANB, hunt, hannan, avb, melk in that forward line.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, spirit of norm smith said:

List management????? 

ireland irish GIF by PLAYMOBIL

List management is the laughing stock of the AFL Let's look at it 

T Mac dreadful panic buying!

Hibberd .. Slowing down , Cooked

Jones..  Same !Cooked

The Rugby player?  5 years I say it again 5 YEARS Garbage!

Hore? well depth only!

Spargo? go buy a ticket in Tatts son, with your luck you might win 1st Div. His last few games were pathetic

Where is the RUTHLESSNESS which we were going to display??

Oh I get it both Wagners and Dunkley gone 

Masterstroke MFC!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Facepalm 2

3 minutes ago, Turner said:

i'd rather the younger spargo gets two more years to prove himself than ANB, hunt, hannan, avb, melk in that forward line.

Ah, No Just No!

2 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Jones..  Same !Cooked

Hore? well depth only!

Spargo? go buy a ticket in Tatts son, with your luck you might win 1st Div. His last few games were pathetic

Masterstroke MFC!

Ruthlessness.  I agree it’s a “Soft touch” 

• Like 1

Totally agree with giving Hore another year. I'm not sure we needed to keep Smith if we've now kept both Hibberd and Hore, but so be it.

I'm less sure about Spargo at all, let alone for two.

Whether it was one or two years, if we're re-contracting Spargo and we're considering players like Higgins and Hind, that must spell trouble for both Hunt and ANB.

If we're only keeping one of Spargo, Hunt and ANB, I'm not convinced Spargo is the better pick over Hunt.

Edit: I thought ANB was out of contract this year. Given he's not, that surely ratchets up the pressure on Hunt (Bedford surely will be delisted).

Edited by titan_uranus
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Jones..  Same !Cooked

Hore? well depth only!

Masterstroke MFC!

Hibberd was fantastic this year.  Far from cooked.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, deegirl said:

Two years for Spargo?  JFC. 

They clearly see something I don't.

Yes you must have missed the Oies and Giants   games When he kicked goals and was busy and provided  pressure.

I agree he needs to contribute more consistently but he has more if a mans body  now than a boys and ole Yu if room fir improvement,

Also Charlie has a very good footy brain and when he gets his hands on the ball usually  something  happens.

Marty IMO is depth and has some  attributes But think the problem is gd is an interceptor next ehomarks well and that means he is only an understudy fir Jake. He is not nimble enough fir smalls and not quite strong and big enough fir the  talls.

Lockhart  must be next Unless they still aim fir him to be a rookie.!!

1 hour ago, picket fence said:

Jones..  Same !Cooked

Hore? well depth only!

Masterstroke MFC!

PF wrong on Hibberd his year was a great comeback from 2019 Was fitter snd back to his best kicking and pace again Deserves this year no doubt.

Charlies best vs Pies and Giants is superior than any other HF flanker this season (Other than Kossie) and he looked far more likely to cause trouble when he gas the ball than ANB and Hannan. He has a smart footy brain also.

Also lay off Jack I also tjink he plays like a rugby player but the whole midfield still have to rationalise their roles and Yze May be the saviour.

When Jack is good he is irreplaceable and we generally win ( WC in Round 1 an exception).

Tom  is at this stage A debit but all not lost with 2 years and/or trade options we must explore.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, picket fence said:

Absolutely DEESGRACEFUL LIST MANAGEMENT WTF???

Spargo? Jaheezus one reason why are so poor!

Maybe he was offered 2 years at another club, forcing Melbourne's hand to match the deal, if not i agree he should of only been given one.

I do believe he can become a good footballer, he has a nice kick and is a  smart user of the football, one of not many we have that lowers his eyes and hits up targets going inside 50 

Can see him hitting up b brown many times next year if he ends up at melb

He just needs to get the football more and he will cause damage 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can understand this. Spargo in the final third of the season looked like a player. At 21 he should be given time to develop. I don't however get the love for Hore. Seems to be NQR. An OK interceptor that is an ordinary kick. What AFL attributes does he have? 

Like others have said at some stage we need to turn over the bottom half of the list. Depth is our problem. Well over half of our list appear not to be up to it. You don't find gems by keeping your spuds in the ground!

3 hours ago, rjay said:

Caleb is an exceptional footballer, he was a ball magnet at junior level and great decision maker. Things he has carried through to senior level but I still think he is there to be exposed at his height if a team plays him right.

Yes down back, but he can move on ball or forward if that’s the case.

Spargo doesn’t have to be nearly that level of player though. His competition are guys like Dan Rioli and Luke Dahlhaus. That said, Spargo was also one of the very best juniors in his time.

I’d love to know who we are supposed to be replacing these 2 with that are going to be better than them in 2021?

No VFL to evaluate the ready made players, and no TAC cup to bring in the future. Hore got a one year deal because we know what he can do, versus an unknown older player whose just missed a year. Spargo got 2 years because he’s 21, and deserves a shot to become something we desperately need. 

It’s not just about the stats, it’s about what you’d be replacing them with, and this year is the biggest recruiting dog’s breakfast since the AFL became a professional comp.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1