• Podcast: Trade Week   

Hore & Spargo Ink New Deals

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Delighted about this. Marty was great for us last year when all around him were injured.  Will be good depth. Charlie had a really good 2018 when iirc he played all 3 finals.  Not much chanc

I still think what sets Spargo apart is his ability to create, or add value to his disposals. He is almost the anti-Oliver. He hardly gets any touches in comparison,  but none are incidental. The

https://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/832475 Hore’s extension is also for one season, while Spargo has earned a two-year contract, keeping him at the club until at least the end of 2022.

Delighted about this.

Marty was great for us last year when all around him were injured.  Will be good depth.

Charlie had a really good 2018 when iirc he played all 3 finals.  Not much chance for a consistent run of games this year.  So should be better next year.  He teamed up well with Kozzie on the few occasions they played together.

• Like 11

• Demonland changed the title to Hore & Spargo Ink New Deals

Love to see this! Hore would definitely need to show something more next year on top of a bit more durability but has the goods to become an important piece of our defensive best 6-8. Spargo has proved the doubters wrong and is an important link in our forward makeup and am pleased we've given him an extra 2 years.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, old dee said:

At minimum that is two of us.

Obviously there's a fair enough whack on his consistency within and between games. I think people need to remember that he's only 21 years old in his 3rd season of AFL, and was a major part of our 2018 finals push. I think his kicking has improved a lot this year and was able to hit a lot more targets and kick set shot goals. IIRC he had 3 goals in that Collingwood game and a handful against North to go along with a number of score involvements. He might only be small but he attacks the ball with the aggression of someone twice his size (which ended up getting himself flattened by Majak Daw). He definitely has the potential to be an important player which is why the club is prepared to stick by his development. Spargo is definitely ahead of getting contract extensions over those who have had the continual opportunities and not shown much (Omac, Wagners, ANB).

• Like 6
28 minutes ago, AaronDaveyChipsAndGravey said:

Obviously there's a fair enough whack on his consistency within and between games. I think people need to remember that he's only 21 years old in his 3rd season of AFL, and was a major part of our 2018 finals push. I think his kicking has improved a lot this year and was able to hit a lot more targets and kick set shot goals. IIRC he had 3 goals in that Collingwood game and a handful against North to go along with a number of score involvements. He might only be small but he attacks the ball with the aggression of someone twice his size (which ended up getting himself flattened by Majak Daw). He definitely has the potential to be an important player which is why the club is prepared to stick by his development. Spargo is definitely ahead of getting contract extensions over those who have had the continual opportunities and not shown much (Omac, Wagners, ANB).

The guy is small, to succeed at AFL level if you are small  you have to be very good in at least one skill. He is not very good at any skill. 

Edited by old dee
  • Like 2

I really don't see where Hore adds value as a third or fourth defender behind Lever, Hibberd, Smith, Rivers and others, but at least it is only for one year.

Spargo doesn't have the physical attributes to be a decent AFL player, but clearly the coach is a fan. File him alongside Melksham and Vandenberg for plenty of undeserved games in 2021.

The cleanout of the bottom third of our list that I was hoping for doesn't seem likely to happen this year. We'll never be a good side until we develop the sort of depth that Richmond has, and that is not going to happen while we persist with players who aren't up to it.

2 minutes ago, old dee said:

The guy is small, to succeed at AFL level if you are to succeed if you have to be very good at at least one skill. He is not very good at any skill. 

Hope he proves you wrong !

• Like 2
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, poita said:

I really don't see where Hore adds value as a third or fourth defender behind Lever, Hibberd, Smith, Rivers and others, but at least it is only for one year.

Spargo doesn't have the physical attributes to be a decent AFL player, but clearly the coach is a fan. File him alongside Melksham and Vandenberg for plenty of undeserved games in 2021.

The cleanout of the bottom third of our list that I was hoping for doesn't seem likely to happen this year. We'll never be a good side until we develop the sort of depth that Richmond has, and that is not going to happen while we persist with players who aren't up to it.

While I agree with what you say, the problem this year is finding better players than the ones we have. With no proper junior football this year and a draft apparently full of father-son and academy players, getting better players through the draft will be hard. Therefore, the better option might be short-term extensions for some players which gives them a chance to justify why they should be retained rather than taking chances on too many virtually unknown players who have not been in the system at all.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, poita said:

Hibberd and Smith are on one year deals and probably both outside chances to make it to 2022 and Rivers whilst a good size isn't going to be in the side as a tall exactly. We need proper defensive depth at every backline spot and until we've seen if Hore can be better than that he's worth a year to work it out. 

If Caleb Daniel can make an AA team then Spargo can be a regular player. Sure it would be easier at his size if he was lightning quick but he's a smart footballer, he can build endurance and strength to get to more contest and stick tackles as a high half forward. He took a step forward late this year.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Spargo improved his tackling and kicking depth this year. He's got further scope for improvement. I prefer him to Hunt and ANB fwiw.

• Like 5
  • Facepalm 1
26 minutes ago, old dee said:

The guy is small, to succeed at AFL level if you are small  you have to be very good in at least one skill. He is not very good at any skill. 

his kicking inside 50 is excellent as evidenced this year

his tackling is aggressive and I would rate it as 'very good'

so there is two for you. 

next step is to score more goals. he made progress this year and also increased his kicking length which was very poor early days and can kick it 50 now

• Like 3
1 minute ago, DubDee said:

his tackling is aggressive and I would rate it as 'very good'

so there is two for you. 

next step is to score more goals. he made progress this year and also increased his kicking length which was very poor early days and can kick it 50 now

Those two are expected of every AFL player. They don't set him apart from anyone you would want to take the field. 

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

If Caleb Daniel can make an AA team then Spargo can be a regular player. Sure it would be easier at his size if he was lightning quick but he's a smart footballer, he can build endurance and strength to get to more contest and stick tackles as a high half forward. He took a step forward late this year.

Caleb is an exceptional footballer, he was a ball magnet at junior level and great decision maker. Things he has carried through to senior level but I still think he is there to be exposed at his height if a team plays him right.

• Like 4

I still think what sets Spargo apart is his ability to create, or add value to his disposals.

He is almost the anti-Oliver. He hardly gets any touches in comparison,  but none are incidental. They almost always improve our onfield position. 

I suspect he has the highest "score involvement to possession" ratio of any player on our list, and probably in the top handful of the AFL on that measure. It's a weird choice of statistic but it demonstrates how involved he is in our "connection".

• Like 8
  • Love 2

5 minutes ago, old dee said:

his tackling is aggressive and I would rate it as 'very good

5 minutes ago, old dee said:

Those two are expected of every AFL player. They don't set him apart from anyone you would want to take the field. 

expected perhaps but not that common. our inside 50 delivery has been pretty ordinary so well worth his spot for this skill alone.

Edited by Better days ahead
  • Like 1

i'm a really big hore fan and if hibbo can't do his defensive duties properly then Hore should get a run at it, when he plays he performs, unlucky not to get two years considering KK and jets are out the door next year. and tbh he offers more than lockhart does. ticks all round,

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, deanox said:

I still think what sets Spargo apart is his ability to create, or add value to his disposals.

He is almost the anti-Oliver. He hardly gets any touches in comparison,  but none are incidental. They almost always improve our onfield position. 

I suspect he has the highest "score involvement to possession" ratio of any player on our list, and probably in the top handful of the AFL on that measure. It's a weird choice of statistic but it demonstrates how involved he is in our "connection".

This year he had 27 SIs from 65 disposals. In the 8 games we played we had 145 scores (inc rushed behinds), so he was involved in >19% of our scores.

24 from 90 in 2019. Poor year for him and the team.

A whopping 93 from 219 in 2018. We had 446 scores (inc rushed behinds) in his 18 games, so he was involved in >21% of our scores.

Shorter games and season, but only 17 players in the comp had more then 93 this year. 

Edited by deanox
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2

Both of these deals make sense.

While Hore's year was ruined by injury, he showed enough in 2019 to suggest that he is handy depth in our backline if needed.  He can play as a third tall, or as a mid sized flanker, and he is generally a good kick of the footy.  A one year deal on not much coin is the right move and he would offer more than a kid in the draft at this stage.

Spargo's last few games were a reflection of what he offered in 2018 and he deserves the change to continue to develop in that role across half forward.  He is a good decision maker and, while not quick by any means, it hasn't stopped him from providing some good pressure to go with some solid tackling.  He doesn't mind hitting the scoreboard either.

Pretty happy with both of these deals.

• Like 6
11 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Both of these deals make sense.

While Hore's year was ruined by injury, he showed enough in 2019 to suggest that he is handy depth in our backline if needed.  He can play as a third tall, or as a mid sized flanker, and he is generally a good kick of the footy.  A one year deal on not much coin is the right move and he would offer more than a kid in the draft at this stage.

Spargo's last few games were a reflection of what he offered in 2018 and he deserves the change to continue to develop in that role across half forward.  He is a good decision maker and, while not quick by any means, it hasn't stopped him from providing some good pressure to go with some solid tackling.  He doesn't mind hitting the scoreboard either.

Pretty happy with both of these deals.

One good and the other less some. I did expect he would get at least another year he has been the coach’s favourite since day one in spite ordinary form at Casey.