TMac on the Trade Table?

Lord Nev

13 minutes ago, Dr.D said:

Theres a reason TMac was the whipping boy many years ago. Its because as a defender he has OMac tendancies.

if we keep TMac, we play him up forward with Brown and Weideman and pray hard to the Gods that TMac can turn it around. if anyone goes back,  push Jackson back. 

Well they are related 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DubDee said:

Like MFC, it seems 2018 was an aberration for T Mac as well.  He had a cracker of a year and looked so good up front.  its ancient history now.  we move on

He was gone, I think the week we shifted him forward he was being dropped but I think Hogan was injured and they tried him forward.  The issue with Tom down back was his field kicking and decision making, he couldn't hit a target always either over or under kicked the footy.  Great set shot at goal but no good trying to hit a player.

Our backline is good May, Lever, Tomlinson as your 3 key defenders with Smith and Petty as options, Tmac doesn't have a spot down back and I don't think he would want to go back there 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, DubDee said:

Like MFC, it seems 2018 was an aberration for T Mac as well.  He had a cracker of a year and looked so good up front.  its ancient history now.  we move on

the only reason he played well and i still believe this to this day is that no team had seen him play forward, they didnt know what he was like as a forward so they were a step behind in curtailing him. give them one season of footage and all of a sudden one body check and hes out of the contest and out of the side and now out of the club, should never have been made a permanent switch should be hooker-esque in the way he had a massive year forward but is still very much a key defender

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Elegt said:

Well they are related 

Dr D your Push Jackson back post is one if the rarer gems of 2020 Covid thinking!!

To even contemplate using Jacko in defense other than rucking is Out of left field and ball game over at this stage of his career,

Dis you not sense (see) he was a potential X factor up forward with pace grunt and below knee skills and maybe  a mark or three fir good measure.

Jacko is a special unit and does definitely not qualify for the Ratbags to defense old style call out.

You can rest easy Dogga forward March in 2021!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 58er said:

Dr D your Push Jackson back post is one if the rarer gems of 2020 Covid thinking!!

To even contemplate using Jacko in defense other than rucking is Out of left field and ball game over at this stage of his career,

Dis you not sense (see) he was a potential X factor up forward with pace grunt and below knee skills and maybe  a mark or three fir good measure.

Jacko is a special unit and does definitely not qualify for the Ratbags to defense old style call out.

You can rest easy Dogga forward March in 2021!!

Think you quoted the wrong post mate 

On 10/27/2020 at 4:37 PM, Dr.D said:

Theres a reason TMac was the whipping boy many years ago. Its because as a defender he has OMac tendancies.

if we keep TMac, we play him up forward with Brown and Weideman and pray hard to the Gods that TMac can turn it around. if anyone goes back,  push Jackson back. 

Push Jackson Back? 

HELL NO! This kid is a natural forward!

WE DON'T NEED ANYMORE DEFENDERS!!!

There is no universe in which Tmac is at Melbourne next year. Hasn't had an officiallly listed injury since the start of 2019. There hasn't been a player go backwards any faster than he has (And I was a big fan of him up to 2018).

Just take whatever we can get for him!

On 10/27/2020 at 6:59 PM, Turner said:

the only reason he played well and i still believe this to this day is that no team had seen him play forward, they didnt know what he was like as a forward so they were a step behind in curtailing him. give them one season of footage and all of a sudden one body check and hes out of the contest and out of the side and now out of the club, should never have been made a permanent switch should be hooker-esque in the way he had a massive year forward but is still very much a key defender

Bit revisionist IMO - TMac was an excellent forward for 1 and a half seasons in his own right. Remember that goal he kicked to win the game against the eagles in Perth in 17? Very, very few players are capable of that. He was covering huge amounts of territory, marking everything that came his way and was a ridiculously accurate set shot - defenders can't do much about that. He made some damn good defenders look average.

Compare that with the last 2 years - he's struggled to get off the ground, fumbled marks and moves slower than a month of Melbourne lockdown. It would be interesting to compare his GPS numbers, but I'd be willing to bet they would be pretty telling. If he can recapture the form and confidence he had in 17/18, I have absolutely no doubt that he'll be just as damaging. Highly unlikely that it happens though.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Accepting Mediocrity said:

Bit revisionist IMO - TMac was an excellent forward for 1 and a half seasons in his own right. Remember that goal he kicked to win the game against the eagles in Perth in 17? Very, very few players are capable of that. He was covering huge amounts of territory, marking everything that came his way and was a ridiculously accurate set shot - defenders can't do much about that. He made some damn good defenders look average.

Compare that with the last 2 years - he's struggled to get off the ground, fumbled marks and moves slower than a month of Melbourne lockdown. It would be interesting to compare his GPS numbers, but I'd be willing to bet they would be pretty telling. If he can recapture the form and confidence he had in 17/18, I have absolutely no doubt that he'll be just as damaging. Highly unlikely that it happens though.

I reckon the ground he covered will be the same, the speed will be the interesting.  He isn't quick, but was able to run at his high speed to cover lots of ground.  His overhead marking and contested marking was one of the best in the league, he just can't get of the ground anymore.  Whether this is due to additional weight or injury something has prohibited him from playing his best.

• Sad 1

Port looking for a KPD and aren't getting Aliir. Maybe TMac there?  

They were suspect against tall fwds this year with a high % of goals conceded to them - see game plan thread for details.

7 minutes ago, demonstone said:

Is there a more redundant phrase than "moving forward"?

It's not as if time stands still or we can go backwards!

Basically, in my opinion; irregardless of 'moving forward', our learnings should be scalable.

Edited by Lord Nev
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, demonstone said:

Is there a more redundant phrase than "moving forward"?

It's not as if time stands still or we can go backwards!

But it is possible to 'turn the corner'

Do that often enough and one can move forwards and go backwards

• Haha 3

he mentioned he dropped 3-4 kilos already, he wouldn't say that if he was staying, absolutely advertising him to rivals right there and then. 

I am in no rush to see Tmac go, the guy gave good service up to 2019 when he got injured a lot lost form at the start of 2020 and all of a sudden the guy is hopeless and every one wants him gone. A player does not lose his ability, he might be down from confidence or injured but talent does not vanish. Seems for whatever reason he has fallen out with our poor FD. Why?

• Like 4
  • Love 1

On 10/27/2020 at 4:37 PM, Dr.D said:

I reckon they were the polar opposite. Tom was fine at defending but his kicking was ropey, Oscar is alright at kicking (albeit usually no more than about 15 minutes) but gets killed against an opponent.

• Like 5