Farewell Braydon Preuss

buck_nekkid

37 minutes ago, A F said:

Given GWS have Toby Greene already, I wonder if they'd do a swap for Preuss with someone like Brent Daniels. I'd do that trade, but would they?

That’s like saying Melbourne’s got Fritsch would they swap Kieran Briggs for Pickett. 

46 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Preuss is this years Frost. Yeah he’d be nice to have but we’ve got plenty of assets tied up in one position. We have to reduce what we’ve spent on rucks to fill other needs. 

We traded Frost because it gave us the cap room for Tomlinson (winger - oops) and the picks to make a swap for Kozzie.

Any hope of Preuss earning us a high pick or good player outright is a pipe dream. Academy pick points and future pick swaps gives us a chance - but that kind of wheeling and dealing comes later. If a team values Preuss for an early 3rd rounder that’s realistic.

So a pick 50 to 60 for a ruckman that will be GWS’, Essendons or Sydney 1st ruck choice?!  Would almost be Richmonds, Fremantles, Carltons & Geelongs 1st ruck!

Don’t forget that a 3rd rounder this year is roughly 10 picks further down the order from normal years.

He’s rated elite (56.4%) for hit out wins across his career and above average (6.6%) for hit outs to advantage. Still only 25yrs old. 

I would rate him between picks 25 and 35 for trade value and I hope our team push for this also. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, xman97 said:

So a pick 50 to 60 for a ruckman that will be GWS’, Essendons or Sydney 1st ruck choice?!  Would almost be Richmonds, Fremantles, Carltons & Geelongs 1st ruck!

Don’t forget that a 3rd rounder this year is roughly 10 picks further down the order from normal years.

He’s rated elite (56.4%) for hit out wins across his career and above average (6.6%) for hit outs to advantage. Still only 25yrs old. 

I would rate him between picks 25 and 35 for trade value and I hope our team push for this also. 

6 years on AFL lists for 18 games. Has struggled to get fit. Has battled with injuries. There's very little evidence that he's ready to be a starting ruckman. 

Apart from GWS those other clubs you named have much more reliable options and don't need to desperately gamble on Preuss. There's no way that 2 years of doing stuff all at Melbourne has suddenly increased his value.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DeeSpencer said:

6 years on AFL lists for 18 games. Has struggled to get fit. Has battled with injuries. There's very little evidence that he's ready to be a starting ruckman. 

Apart from GWS those other clubs you named have much more reliable options and don't need to desperately gamble on Preuss. There's no way that 2 years of doing stuff all at Melbourne has suddenly increased his value.

We traded Tyson who was going ok at the time for Preuss + Pick 62. I’d think Tyson would of been rated a mid/late 2nd round pick at the time, which is pick 27 to 36 (in a normal year). Not far from what I said Preuss in worth.

6 years behind Goldy & Gawn would be why the 18 games.

We’ll see who’s closer at trade time I guess, but I bet you bottom dollar he ain’t worth Picks 50-60, and he won’t be leaving the dees for that. 

• Like 3

He’s in contract, so I see no reason to low ball ourselves. 

It’s extremely handy to have back up for Max and we don’t know how long it will take for Jacko to grow into his body to be able to to take first ruck duties for an extended period. If clubs want him they can pay for him. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, xman97 said:

We traded Tyson who was going ok at the time for Preuss + Pick 62. I’d think Tyson would of been rated a mid/late 2nd round pick at the time, which is pick 27 to 36 (in a normal year). Not far from what I said Preuss in worth.

6 years behind Goldy & Gawn would be why the 18 games.

We’ll see who’s closer at trade time I guess, but I bet you bottom dollar he ain’t worth Picks 50-60, and he won’t be leaving the dees for that. 

Geelong should be looking also Swans.

7 hours ago, xman97 said:

I would reckon ( even back it in) we swap a player like HF or outside runner that is in a best 25 but who can't get a regular game also. We will also shop around fir a forward/ ruck with some cred who can do 2/3 years till Jacko is ready to play in the centre more than half the game and Maxy will be winning us games from up forward resting a bit.

He always was a good cash cow in a trading sense. Get him mentored by the best ruckman in the competition (NicNat AA again that is a joke) and trade him up when his currency increases

No doubt there will be a trade with someone like a Ben Brown 

SEN reporting he loves it at Melbn and even 2 weeks ago was prepared to stay,  but he definitely wants out now. 

I think we did really well getting those few games into him and performed more than serviceably which increased his trade value. 

Good luck big fella and thanks for your service ! 

8 minutes ago, Hell Bent said:

SEN reporting he loves it at Melbn and even 2 weeks ago was prepared to stay,  but he definitely wants out now. 

I think we did really well getting those few games into him and performed more than serviceably which increased his trade value. 

Good luck big fella and thanks for your service ! 

An interested party must have sold him on getting first ruck minutes.

• Like 9

Just now, Lord Nev said:

And he's off...

Contracted ruckman decides to leave Melbourne

Preuss to GWS, pick somewhere around 35-45 back, then on-trade that for Polec. That'd be a fair deal I reckon.

This doesn't help the whole "he's contracted so let's drive a hard bargain for him", unfortunately.

Also, what exactly did he think he was signing up for? Did we suggest to him we were going to go down the two-ruck path?

• Like 1

Just now, titan_uranus said:

This doesn't help the whole "he's contracted so let's drive a hard bargain for him", unfortunately.

Also, what exactly did he think he was signing up for? Did we suggest to him we were going to go down the two-ruck path?

I reckon we did suggest that, then we realised pretty quick that Preuss is next to useless as a key forward so we didn't really go back to it (until the Freo game, which was one of the strangest moves of all time).

If there are enough suitors for him, then hopefully we can drive the price up a little.  Hopefully we can secure something that we can use to secure someone else.

I don't blame him for leaving, either.  He is never going to get the game time here that he would at other clubs.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

It also suggests Tom McDonald for Polec isn't going to get it done, which means Tom's contract or a vast part of it will stay on our books, despite him wanting to leave. I hope this isn't the deal for Preuss.

Doesn't surprise me. Was always an iffy decision at best to come here and now Jackson's arrival has put the final nail in the coffin. 

Slightly off topic but Jackson would have pushed Top 5 in the B&F if you apply his votes per game across a full season. Incredible for a first year ruckman. The club has a serious hard on for him so hopefully he can be locked away well past 2021. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, No Plan B said:

Doesn't surprise me. Was always an iffy decision at best to come here and now Jackson's arrival has put the final nail in the coffin. 

Slightly off topic but Jackson would have pushed Top 5 in the B&F if you apply his votes per game across a full season. Incredible for a first year ruckman. The club has a serious hard on for him so hopefully he can be locked away well past 2021. 

Agree it was a strange decision on his part to come to us. He was never going to get gametime ahead of the best ruckman in the league. He must've been banking on becoming a solid tall forward option to get games? Not surprising he wants out now so he can actually get a game somewhere!

If what you say about Jackson is true, then either we're in a lot of trouble or the coaches have rocks in their heads. Jacko showed glimpses of promise, but on output he should've been nowhere near our top 5 this year (if playing every game). Exciting prospect sure, but jeez that's poor stuff from the coaches. Maybe Jacko is a new favorite of Goody? Could take Melkshams place when he winds up? ?

Preuss is a 25yr old ready-to-go first string ruckman with multiple clubs interested and two years to go on his contract. Clubs want him, they'll have to pay up and make it appealing to us. If we want to become more ruthless as Goodwin said, then it can start at trade week.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I feel that Preuss' situation is similar to that of an assistant coach.

If another team offers him senior game time we should let him go with minimal obstruction.

It doesn't set a precedent as there are few other positions in AFL where there is only room for one player.

Imagine being the reserve goalkeeper for an EPL team. Other than the money it would be soul destroying.

47 minutes ago, A F said:

It also suggests Tom McDonald for Polec isn't going to get it done, which means Tom's contract or a vast part of it will stay on our books, despite him wanting to leave. I hope this isn't the deal for Preuss.

Where's the Tom.McDonald part? Can't see it.

On 9/24/2020 at 5:46 PM, Diamond_Jim said:

If TMac can't be traded I suspect we will use him as a bullocking ruckman with Gawn forward for a while.

Worth trying... I thought that was what we were doing when T Mac was recalled this season but Simon knew better

Gawny gets belted each week in the head, face and elsewhere without umpire observation. Up forward, he'll get belted with no penalties far more often. We do not want him in rehab for half a season, and he is ageing, like us all, prevaricating physical injuries becoming more and more common. He'd be a star up forward, no doubt, if we could rely on his shots for goal. That all has to be tempered by the risks that he would face to his game longevity. The Weed must be on last orders to improve for the team. Jackson would possibly be the answer in both regards - but unfair on him. Preuss is the answer and the coaching team must work extra hard to get him to the level of competitive skills and mongrel. So what if it is hard work. The coaching panel owe it to so many of our players, our supporters, our Members and their monetary contributions, our team whose workrate is so often cut short due to a demise in our coaching / development standards very near the big sticks. John Northey wouldn't let this happen.