POSTGAME: Rd 13 vs Western Bulldogs

Demonland

Our coaching staff are poor at maintaining discipline. Melksham gave away a 50m again today in exactly the same way as he did against the Cats. We have given around a dozen frees away in the back at the end of a chase. Our kick in strategies are the worst in the AFL. We are also useless at roving to our own hit outs. 

• Like 1

Trying to find some positives out of today game May was great again and to a lesser extent  the Weid was ok. We did not handle the wind all day and Frischs final shot at goal summed up our day. We do have a game in hand over the Dogs so win and we will finish higher.  But can we that I just don't know. 

2 minutes ago, binman said:

[censored] poor leadership from melksham. That 50 was simply not on.

It’s becoming a worrying trend that every week we give up moronic 50m penalties/free kicks that are costly and totally down to undisciplined acts. Interestingly Melksham could’ve had a 50 himself in that last quarter as he took the mark just inside the 50m line and the dogs player went over by almost a metre. 

But yeah that 50 in the third quarter was a back breaker when we actually needed to hold strong. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

Not tagging Bont did not cost us the game. A lack of defensive run particularly out of D50 and missing 5-6 gettable chances did. I still would not tag him. He is a good player and played a good game but that wasn’t the difference and I dont think a full negating role in our midfield serves us well. Who would you have do it and whose midfield time are you taking away for it? 

Agree, red.

I don't know why supporters are so focused on the tagging aspect.  It had very little to do with the outcome of the game.  I'm happy for Goodwin to back in our mids against theirs, but when we don't turn up like we did today, then we'll get smashed no matter if we tried to tag all of them or none of them.

• Like 9

Semi rebuild required.

Hannan gone

Vanders gone

Hibbo gone

Salem trade?

Spargo gone

Fistch on a fine line

Tommy gone

Tomlinson gone

Jones gone

Melshem. Trade

Harmes. Being wasted or gone

Absolute shambles.

Melbourne drink their own bathwater against sun par teams.

• Haha 2
  • Shocked 1

23 minutes ago, At the break of Gawn said:

Goodwin put too much faith in our mids going head to head against their’s. 

No negating on Bont. No negating on McCrae. One of our biggest strengths in 2018 was Harmes work as a tagger. Why not try something?

Hibbo has some credits in the bank, but he was shocking today. 

Did Goodwin make any changes throughout the game?

18 minutes ago, olisik said:

Bunch of spuds who can’t concentrate to get the basics right. We would have to be the team with the most goals missed from 20-30m out. Minimum 4 per week we miss from that distance directly in front.

Like last week when we kicked 16.4?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

Agree with a lot of this, particularly Viney, but what's conspicuously absent is that Brayshaw was poor as well.

Brayshaw hasn't just had his poor form forced upon him by being played out of position. 

What frustrates me is that our four mids were being belted in the third, whilst Harmes was having no impact in the backline. Surely that was the time to try throwing Harmes into the middle?

I've since edited my post mate. Thought Gus was poor too. Our entire midfield was poor, including Preuss. We simply don't know what to do when teams get it or try to get it on the outside of stoppages. Okay, so we didn't work hard enough to pressure the first ball, let alone the second, but our stoppage set ups are head scratching at times. A few times Preuss would tap directly to Dogs mids on the wrong side of the contest, which Max is also regularly guilty of too.  

I'm not sure Harmes would have added much more given our poor the rest of the midfield was. I don't think injecting him into the mix would have changed the cleanness and the lack of two-way run and spread.

Edited by A F

Agree comments on Richardson, why does Goodwin always need a mentor (Roos,Mcartney,Richo).  If our own admin don’t trust him as senior coach and stand on his own feet without a mentor then [censored] him off opposed to needing to pay for 2 senior coaches all the time and neglecting having other coaches such as a forwards coach.

Edited by olisik
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

Our coaching staff are poor at maintaining discipline. Melksham gave away a 50m again today in exactly the same way as he did against the Cats. We have given around a dozen frees away in the back at the end of a chase. Our kick in strategies are the worst in the AFL. We are also useless at roving to our own hit outs. 

Watching the dogs walk the ball out of defence was maddening, our kick outs are an absolute disgrace. I have zero confidence in it turning into a goal on the rebound, when are they going to come up with something other than “long down the line”?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Greendale said:

Don't want to be too critical as there were many worse players, but Lever didn't do much for me. Had multiple dropped marks where he had clean hands on the ball, one of which cost us a goal. As an intercepting defender it's his job to take these marks and I feel he crumbles under physical pressure.

A couple of poor moments - that was his worst - shouldn't overly detract from the fact he gave Bruce a cold bath.

12 intercept possessions is a very good game. 

But he didn't have a lot of metres gained so he didn't provide drive on the back of his intercepts.

Continue to fail at playing with the intensity that’s required to be a top team, can’t do it for long enough periods, last 3 weeks were great but against quality sides they can’t. Call it game plan, personal, leadership?? Example last qtr with the wind instead of going long they wanted to handball & short kicks & brayshaw turnover sums up our game. Petracca fumbled all day & his kicking was poor. 

• Like 1

Where is our head at?

Back to last year where we couldn't arrest the momentum. How do they get a rally of goals? We need to work harder and smarter for a reply to every goal the opposition get.

No 4 quarter efforts. We only played in bits and pieces. 

Game plan and structures not good enough against teams that run hard and fast, and can use the ball well. No plan B's.

Still no crumbers. 

Too much arrogance.

Handball turnovers killed us. What's with the dinky, too under pressure handballs?

We seem to lose concentration and the will too execute.

Didn't take our opportunities.

Oh the lack of consistency of some of our players from week to week, weak and frustrating.

Two steps forward and one back, or is it one step forward and two back.

Hoping for more aggression and for the team to have there footy IQ working next time.

Edited by kev martin

Kozzie has has plenty of time and has had a heap of praise. All sizzle no sausage. He just runs to the wrong spots. Its obvious.  Spargo gets to the right spot but is a little fumbley at speed. Bedford looked great early in the year why is he not tried?

On a windy day with a hard surface, small fwds should be waxing in, getting goals. We lost because we had many players not running hard enough. Wied just wont chase and Melksham will but never catches, reminds me of Frawley. The other obvious reason we wont go far  is we cannot hit targets and we seem to praise each other for "nearly' taking marks. There is not enough acid placed on this team when they lose.  Only one side suffered from that wind. Wont take long for the coach to blame conditions. It makes me spew up!

• Like 2

Gut wrenching loss today but a timely reminder that we are not who we thougt we were.

Not finals contenders.

A few  pointed out the depleted side the pies were but my colour blundness wouldnt see it.

Sadly Im seeing more clearly.

I see Weid as a player who simply fades away in the second half. I notice Tmac is just making up the numbers time and time again.

I observed Hannan and Harmes are the same as Tmac.

I see that Pickett shows promise but it is far from ready. I think that Lockart is the same.I see Melksham is no leader and  we really rely on big Max way too much.

Sadly not the best from Oliver and Trac today with Gus close to his old form.

Thanks to Viney and May who showed the other lads how to do it. Alas 3 or 4 players cant win a game.

Was a huge game changer today and Im sure Im not alone in thinking we wont play finals.

????????

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, A F said:

I've since edited my post mate. Thought Gus was poor too. Our entire midfield was poor, including Preuss. We simply don't know what to do when teams get it on the outside of stoppages. Okay, so we didn't work hard enough to pressure the first ball, let alone the second, but our stoppage set ups are head scratching at times. A few times Preuss would tap directly to Dogs mids on the wrong side of the contest, which Max is also regularly guilty of too.  

I'm not sure Harmes would have added much more given our poor the rest of the midfield was. I don't think injecting him into the mix would have changed the cleanness and the lack of two-way run and spread.

Yeah I don't agree with those who think Preuss played well. He's like Smith and vandenBerg on Demonland, gets praised for physical attributes and some old-school tendencies regardless of actual output.

We have some real issues in our entire midfield. We have to be able to compete when there is pressure in the middle. The difference in Oliver's play between the last three weeks and today was so stark. Gone was the burst from the stoppages, back was the immediate handball release. 

The Harmes thing just frustrates me. He's not a defender and wasn't impacting the game in the backline, whilst our midfield was being beaten. I don't need radical changes, but sometimes just one player moving around maybe can spark us.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gOLLy said:

We will get belted

Yep, i wouldnt call the dogs a quick team, the saints are.  If we cant win the clearance and control the footy they will smash us.

Would love for Weiderman to kick 5 goals in a game, he is almost there again getting hands on the footy but not capitalizing 

35 minutes ago, DeeZee said:

We played two bottom sides and a severely depleted collingwood on a short break. 
We needed to prove ourselves against a good midfield today and we were shown up.

Teams always get us with pressure and run.

We have no answers.

We are not that good.

That last line is spot on. We are not that good and always fall apart when pressure is put on including our so called stars. Trac whilst he got plenty of the ball gave it up all so easily.

4 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

A couple of poor moments - that was his worst - shouldn't overly detract from the fact he gave Bruce a cold bath.

12 intercept possessions is a very good game. 

But he didn't have a lot of metres gained so he didn't provide drive on the back of his intercepts.

We don't get much drive off the backline. Salem can give you an accurate kick but he doesn't damage unless he finds a player in space.

May has a big kick which occasionally befits the rebound.

Tomlinson needs to do more if CHB is his position.

50 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Agree, red.

I don't know why supporters are so focused on the tagging aspect.  

Bont was the second highest rated player on the ground, had 742 metres gained (highest on the ground by 150 metres) and 2 direct goal assists (also highest on the ground).

Edit: Oh, and 7 inside 50's (highest on the ground)

Edited by Trisul
  • Like 4