Hawthorn v Melbourne

10 Christian Petracca (MELB)
8 Max Gawn (MELB)
5 Clayton Oliver (MELB)
3 Jack Viney (MELB)
2 Steven May (MELB)
1 James Sicily (HAW)
1 Sam Weideman (MELB)

https://www.afl.com.au/news/468040/coaches-votes-r7-trac-on-the-move-jack-steals-second-place

Nice to see Clarko slip Sicily in for a vote.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Steven May getting votes astounds me. The AFL write up was similarly glowing. He wasn't bad, but our worst defensive moments saw him panicking, either spoiling team mates or mindlessly bombing out of the defence.

He was solid for the most part, don't get me wrong, but I'd have Oscar McDonald well ahead of him and even Lever's game was more solid for mine.

Anyone else agree?

Edited by A F
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, A F said:

Steven May getting votes astounds me. The AFL write up was similarly glowing. He wasn't bad, but our worst defensive moments saw him panicking, either spoiling team mates or mindlessly bombing out of the defence.

He was solid for the most part, don't get me wrong, but I'd have Oscar McDonald well ahead of him and even Lever's game was more solid for mine.

Anyone else agree?

Sorry mate, not here. Thought May defended really well as well as had some really productive disposals. OMac didn't seem to be called on as much and his disposals tend to be more 'safe', which is totally fine of course, just comparing it to how May uses his kicking to attack and set up play. Reckon "spoiling team mates or mindlessly bombing out of the defence" is a bit harsh for mine.

May's getting better every week, especially now that Oscar is so solid meaning he can focus a bit more on his own game.

• Like 10

21 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Sorry mate, not here. Thought May defended really well as well as had some really productive disposals. OMac didn't seem to be called on as much and his disposals tend to be more 'safe', which is totally fine of course, just comparing it to how May uses his kicking to attack and set up play. Reckon "spoiling team mates or mindlessly bombing out of the defence" is a bit harsh for mine.

May's getting better every week, especially now that Oscar is so solid meaning he can focus a bit more on his own game.

Fair enough.

As I say, don't get me wrong, it's not like he did it a thousand times within game. I only remember two moments very clearly where he panicked, whereas Oscar impacted every contest and then provided some limited rebound and run from half back. 

Anyway, I agree, in that I think the more games they play together, the more this defence will grow.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, A F said:

Fair enough.

As I say, don't get me wrong, it's not like he did it a thousand times within game. I only remember two moments very clearly where he panicked, whereas Oscar impacted every contest and then provided some limited rebound and run from half back. 

Anyway, I agree, in that I think the more games they play together, the more this defence will grow.

I'm a big May fan so I may lean more towards the good when things are a bit 50/50. Definitely loving Oscar since he's come back in and glad Goody has swallowed his pride a bit and gone a bit more 'traditional' with the setup. Our backline is really becoming the strength it should based on the talent there.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, A F said:

Anyone else agree?

I agree Adam, however OMac didn't take an eye catching hanger in the third. 

OMac's only blight for mine was the punch in the goal square in the last qtr which he should have put through for a behind but punched it to the top of the goal square and Morris kicked a snag. Apart from that, Oscar played a ripper (again).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, A F said:

Anyone else agree?

Easily in the best.

• Like 1

Tracc 3rd overall and Maxy 8th.  Both a game behind the rest.  A couple of All Australian seasons for both of those lads!  Interesting that there are 5 Ruckmen in the top 20 (Gawn, Goldstein, Witts, English and Grundy in 20th place).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, In Harmes Way said:

I agree Adam, however OMac didn't take an eye catching hanger in the third. 

OMac's only blight for mine was the punch in the goal square in the last qtr which he should have put through for a behind but punched it to the top of the goal square and Morris kicked a snag. Apart from that, Oscar played a ripper (again).

Oscar also had a brayshaw-esq mis-kick on the near boundary in the 3rd qtr. Ball dribbled along the ground  after he failed to hit Harmes I think it was..

Don't get me wrong, he played a good game but that was definitely a 'blight' as you called it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

Hawthorn v Melbourne

10 Christian Petracca (MELB)
8 Max Gawn (MELB)
5 Clayton Oliver (MELB)
3 Jack Viney (MELB)
2 Steven May (MELB)
1 James Sicily (HAW)
1 Sam Weideman (MELB)

https://www.afl.com.au/news/468040/coaches-votes-r7-trac-on-the-move-jack-steals-second-place

Nice to see Clarko slip Sicily in for a vote.

Pretty impressive if we consider those above Trac and Max have played and extra game. Adjust for this and Trac is second and Maxy equal third.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A F said:

Anyone else agree?

I would have Oscar ahead of May.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, buck_nekkid said:

Hawks should have had Frost before Sicily.  Clarko favourite.  Sam had a really good game for them I thought. If any of those muppets got a vote, it should have been Frosty.

Yes interesting can’t be sure watching on telly but I thought Frosty did well. Sicily was OK but did get beaten outright a few times. Frost took a number of intercept marks and kicked aggressively, forward  to a position. Not sideways or back. I would have thrown a vote to Frost before Sicily. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, buck_nekkid said:

Hawks should have had Frost before Sicily.  Clarko favourite.  Sam had a really good game for them I thought. If any of those muppets got a vote, it should have been Frosty.

Sicily played very well. Other than Petracca outmarking him on one occasion he was excellent. 24 touches, 10 intercepts, 557 metres gained, eight marks, 92 percent disposal efficiency. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, buck_nekkid said:

I thought that too. Was pretty solid in defence. Seems the "Frost-ball" has been beaten out of him. Where's the fun in that?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, low flying Robbo said:

I thought that too. Was pretty solid in defence. Seems the "Frost-ball" has been beaten out of him. Where's the fun in that?

We like our guys taking the game on, it's just clear we now like them having an idea what they're going to do with it when they take the game on.

For Christian (5/5), Max (4/4) and Oliver (3/2) the view of the coaches was similar...

...but who gave Viney (3/0) the zero votes...?

Current Leaderboard

40 – Lachie Neale (BRIS)

31 – Jack Steele (STK)

30 – Christian Petracca (MELB)

30 – Matthew Rowell (GCS)

29 – Travis Boak (PORT)

27 – Joel Selwood (GEEL)

26 – Scott Pendlebury (COLL)

25 – Max Gawn (MELB)

17 hours ago, A F said:

Anyone else agree?

If Gunstan kick all his 3 goals on May, then I agree he shouldn't be considered in the best 5 players on the ground. He was certainly out marked in 2 of those contests which resulted in goals.

Having said that, May's been very good this year and having a consistent year. More than making up for last's year mini disaster of a year.

How good is it to see Petracca considered the 3rd best player in the league by the coaches at this stage!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

How good is it to see Petracca considered the 3rd best player in the league by the coaches at this stage!

And he has played one less game than those above him so based on averages he would be a clear second. 

And Max would be at least equal third best.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

If Gunstan kick all his 3 goals on May, then I agree he shouldn't be considered in the best 5 players on the ground. He was certainly out marked in 2 of those contests which resulted in goals.

Having said that, May's been very good this year and having a consistent year. More than making up for last's year mini disaster of a year.

Lets just hope that Christian can keep his ego in check.  I have noticed a touch of Hollywood in the past two games.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ProperDee said:

Lets just hope that Christian can keep his ego in check.  I have noticed a touch of Hollywood in the past two games.

I'm the opposite - I think for years he has been too unselfish / not prepared to back himself in.

The true stars of the game have a touch of hollywood in their game - look at Dusty!

• Like 4