PREGAME: MS02 vs Hawthorn

dazzledavey36

Good news here..

Mark Stevens

@Stevo7AFL

Steven May on track to play this week in Tassie. Dees fully expect him to make trip, setting up Round 1 appearance

@7NewsMelbourne

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

• Demonland changed the title to PREGAME: MS02 vs Hawthorn

Obviously winning is still secondary to just getting good time into the players but it’s Hawthorn and I like beating them any time of the year!

Do we play our full best available? Maybe Nev has a break since he played the Origin match, is Brayshaw’s elbow in good shape for a full hit out?

I’d like to see Bradtke given main rucking duties and give Weids a long go in the forward line, see if we can play with a trio of talls. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bing181 said:

Would be better news to hear that Gawn was playing as well.

Gawn was “expected” to play in Marsh 2 wasn’t he? I think if there’s the slightest doubt we won’t risk him. 

Dunkley, Gawn and May listed as 'Test' on the Injury Report.

Fair chance they will all get a run vs Hawks even if it is only a few quarters each.

• Like 1

Melbourne

PLAYER INJURY ESTIMATED RETURN
 Harley Bennell  Calf  TBC
 Kade Chandler  Wrist  1-2 weeks
 Kyle Dunkley  Foot  Test
 Max Gawn  Knee  Test
 Mitch Hannan  Groin  TBC
 Kade Kolodjashnij  Concussion  TBC
 Steven May  Knee  Test
 Nathan Jones  Corked shin  Available
 Harry Petty  Groin  TBC
 Braydon Preuss  Knee  5-7 weeks
Updated: Tuesday, March 3

Early prognosis

The Demons have a few that are a while away with Bennell and Preuss working their way back from lengthy complaints, although the former has stepped up training in an encouraging sign he might finally be putting his calf issues behind him. Gawn and May are expected to play this week against Hawthorn while mystery surrounds Joel Smith's fitness, given his absence from the first two pre-season hitouts. – Jennifer Phelan

Hawthorn

PLAYER INJURY ESTIMATED RETURN
 Jack Gunston  Ankle  2-3 weeks
 Blake Hardwick  Chest  12 weeks
 Dan Howe  Foot  Indefinite
 Jarman Impey  Knee  Indefinite
 Jacob Koschitzke  AC joint  4 weeks
 Ben McEvoy  Corked thigh  Test
 Dylan Moore  Hip/groin  Test
 Josh Morris  Knee  5-6 weeks
 Tim O'Brien  Eye  Test
Updated: Tuesday, March 3

Early prognosis

Hardwick's pectoral muscle rupture from last Friday night's practice match against St Kilda at Morwell means the Hawks will miss one of their most valued players for an extended period. Impey and Howe won't help fill that void, because both are also out for the foreseeable future. Of greatest interest in the short term is whether Gunston can make it to the start line for round one after pre-Christmas surgery. McEvoy and O'Brien should be fine to take part in Hawthorn's Marsh Community Series finale on Friday night. – Marc McGowan

• Like 2

Really trying my best not to jinx us but touch wood we're looking in pretty good shape. 

• Like 2

B: JETTA, MAY, SALEM

HB: HARMES, LEVER, HIBBERD

C : LANGDON, PETRACCA, TOMLINSON

HF: FRITSCH, T.MCDONALD, VANDENBERG

F: PICKETT, BROWN, MELKSHAM

FOLL: GAWN, OLIVER, VINEY

IC: BRAYSHAW, JONES, LOCKHART, WEIDEMAN, SPARROW, SPARGO, NEAL-BULLEN, BEDFORD

• Like 2

be interesting to see if we go in with 'this is our set up for round 1' or if we tailor based upon expectation and loading etc...

B: Lockhart - May - Hibberd
HB: Salem - Lever - Harmes
? Langdon - Petracca - Tomlinson
HF: Jones - T McDonald - vandenBerg
F: Fritsch - Brown - Pickett
Foll: Weideman - Oliver - Viney
I/c: Jackson - Spargo - Brayshaw - Gawn - Melksham - O McDonald - Neal-Bullen - Sparrow

i reckon jetta might be 'rested' - general feeling based upon interviews etc. is that the vics v all-stars was way higher intensity and lots more running than most clubs were expecting based upon the gps data

Edited by whatwhatsaywhat

I suspect the result will be less meaningful than most preseason games as the Hawks will want to practice their new go-fast-thru-the-corridor game plan and to work out how to cover Hardwick in defence. 

A win will be great for our optimism, confidence etc.  Nonetheless there will be a lot more to this game than meets the eye.

Jetta played 66% game time and whilst the ball movement was quick there didn't seem to be a lot of two way running, I doubt he was overly taxed. 

I'd play 8 defenders and give them all a good rotation but I think the more interesting selection drama is at the other end of the ground.

In round 1 we can probably only play at most 3 of T Mc, Weid, Brown or Jackson and can probably only play 3 or 4 of Vanders, Jones (unless half back), ANB, Spargo, Pickett and possibly C Wags or Bedford. There's going to be a battle for spots on Friday.

Weid deserves at least a half game up forward to see if he can justify selection for round 1.

The game in the ruck against the Crows was  good exercise but was not great for his selection chances. If Brown could relief ruck then Weid would be in trouble.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FireInTheBennelly said:

After Jetta's run in the SOO, I'd give him a half only. I'd start with Rivers in the first half to see what he's got defensively. He earned a crack on his performance last week, and with Lockhart not right he gets a shot.

How is Lockhart?

No where has it been said he will miss as I haven't heard of any diagnosis of  yet.

Very u lucky  if he misses out although we may need 3 talls and 3 med/smalls.

He will change our backline in terms of line breaking and pace and aggression.

If Gawn plays I wouldn't be surprised if Brown misses out. Weideman can then have a go as a forward and with Fritsch going back in there as well. Jackson another forward option with only 1 game under his belt, while Brown has already played the 2 games.

I also wouldn't mind having another look at Rivers again. he impressed last week. Lockhart deserves another game to press his claims for R1 too if he's uninjured.

the small forward spots are interesting. you'd think Pickett is probably a cert, and Spargo is likely gunning for ANBs spot after his good game last week. plus Bedford put his hand up as well. interesting times, we'll see who can keep performing each week.

12 minutes ago, 58er said:

How is Lockhart?

No where has it been said he will miss as I haven't heard of any diagnosis of  yet.

Very u lucky  if he misses out although we may need 3 talls and 3 med/smalls.

He will change our backline in terms of line breaking and pace and aggression.

Good point. I have no idea and just assumed from the reports they'd play it safe this weekend. He may well be right to go.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Demon Dude said:

the small forward spots are interesting. you'd think Pickett is probably a cert, and Spargo is likely gunning for ANBs spot after his good game last week. plus Bedford put his hand up as well. interesting times, we'll see who can keep performing each week.

I’d take Spargo over ANB for round 1.

Spargo looks to have regained a bit of his 2018 form over the first 2 practice matches while ANB was woeful Vs Adelaide.

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1

6 hours ago, FireInTheBennelly said:

After Jetta's run in the SOO, I'd give him a half only. I'd start with Rivers in the first half to see what he's got defensively. He earned a crack on his performance last week, and with Lockhart not right he gets a shot.

How did I miss this, what's wrong with Lockhart?

30 minutes ago, dworship said:

How did I miss this, what's wrong with Lockhart?

As reported by @Baghdad Bob on the Tuesday training thread:

The only concern today was the non appearance of Salem and the injury to Lockhart.  He went to tackle Vanders and immediately went off holding his arm.  It was his bicep which was hurting, not a shoulder or elbow so hopefully it's just a corky.  He was in everything in match sims and did the injury late.  It may well be nothing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FireInTheBennelly said:

As reported by @Baghdad Bob on the Tuesday training thread:

The only concern today was the non appearance of Salem and the injury to Lockhart.  He went to tackle Vanders and immediately went off holding his arm.  It was his bicep which was hurting, not a shoulder or elbow so hopefully it's just a corky.  He was in everything in match sims and did the injury late.  It may well be nothing.

Thanks, I really hope it's nothing. I have been impressed with him in the 2 games I've seen

• Like 1