WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - HARLEY BENNELL

Tinks

He keeps ticking boxes and that’s all we can ask of him. 

If he ends up debuting against the Blues it could be one of the most anticipated debuts from a Melbourne player in a long time. And it’ll be in front of no one!

9 hours ago, Mel Bourne said:

Help me out here...

Tim Watson says “ben-NELL”, whereas the reporter immediately calls him “BEN-nell”. 

Which one was correct? 

50 minutes ago, John Demonic said:

We are the Dees who say Nl

If he's out there kicking goals for us we will be screaming it BENNELLLLL you bloody beauty!  (....most likely in our living rooms!).

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter

35 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

If he's out there kicking goals for us we will be screaming it BENNELLLLL you bloody beauty!  (....most likely in our living rooms!).

Damn. You've re-ignited the debate Balls. "Do you want to see Bennell kick 5 and pick up 30 possessions in a Norm Smith granny with no crowd?" No crowd screaming and mexican waving a Beeeeeee-NNnnnneeeeellllllll chant in the last 5 mins before the siren and rendition of a grand old flag as our players embrace as premiers. ??

Nice thought.

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, John Demonic said:

Damn. You've re-ignited the debate Balls. "Do you want to see Bennell kick 5 and pick up 30 possessions in a Norm Smith granny with no crowd?" No crowd screaming and mexican waving a Beeeeeee-NNnnnneeeeellllllll chant in the last 5 mins before the siren and rendition of a grand old flag as our players embrace as premiers. ??

Nice thought.

In all seriousness by October or November or whenever the Grand Final takes place, we'd surely then be able to gather in crowds. You're talking 5 months away. We're two months into restrictions and already slowly rolling them back. My money is on fans returning to games in some capacity this season, at the very least with a seat between each patron.

This is going to be a bit like

If a goal (tree) is scored (falls in a forest) and nobody Cheers it (hears it) was it really scored (did it really fall)

and in the end. Does it really matter.     Definitely not as much as other years but better than losing.   But I cannot see any supporters at anything until there is a viable vaccine.

Go Dees     Go Harley    Go Kossy     something good to think about !!

45 minutes ago, praha said:

In all seriousness by October or November or whenever the Grand Final takes place, we'd surely then be able to gather in crowds. You're talking 5 months away. We're two months into restrictions and already slowly rolling them back. My money is on fans returning to games in some capacity this season, at the very least with a seat between each patron.

Yes, you think it would be under consideration after this bracket even... you bring along your own plastic person to hug safely.....

55 minutes ago, praha said:

Can't see it happening.

I wouldn't even bet on the season finishing yet...

The next month will tell the story.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, praha said:

only if wearing full ppe

13 hours ago, Pates said:

He keeps ticking boxes and that’s all we can ask of him. 

If he ends up debuting against the Blues it could be one of the most anticipated debuts from a Melbourne player in a long time. And it’ll be in front of no one!

Fully agreed. Endurance, injury-wise, is what we need of him in the first instance; in the second instance, it is a matter of conceding Harley's exceptional talent in the game of footy because - even at half strength, his improving state of readiness , and in whatever will be his role for the team - it is far better than most of the players that our coaching team can put onto the field. 

2 hours ago, praha said:

Cannot see it happening praha.  With all of the talk of a 2nd wave of infections being expected, coupled with the fact that a vaccine is nowhere in sight anytime soon, they will not wish to tempt fate by having crowds at the footy.  Imagine if a cluster appeared that was traced back to a big game at the MCG (and that could mean hundreds, not just a handful of cases - think Ruby Princess); that would be the end of football games being played live in front of crowds for a loooooong time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hardtack said:

Cannot see it happening praha.  With all of the talk of a 2nd wave of infections being expected, coupled with the fact that a vaccine is nowhere in sight anytime soon, they will not wish to tempt fate by having crowds at the footy.  Imagine if a cluster appeared that was traced back to a big game at the MCG (and that could mean hundreds, not just a handful of cases - think Ruby Princess); that would be the end of football games being played live in front of crowds for a loooooong time.

I can hardback (see it happening). In fact I will be surprised if it doesn't.

Going to the football will be relatively low risk. Easy to limit crowd and enforce social distancing (e.g. mandatory four seat spacing, no food or bars, no members dining, stagger entry, temperature tests at entry, maybe even mandatory installation of the covid app etc etc) and critically is outdoors.

Transmission appears to primarily have been in clusters, certainly in Australia. There has been almost none here where there has been random, fleeting contact. Which is why the case in QLD in the news today is causing consternation for official (How did he get it?)

All the clusters here (and seemingly most in other countries) have been in environments where people have shared space for a good chunk of time indoors (weddings, work places, cruise ships, family homes, restaurants .

We had covid in the community at likely a higher level in say early March to mid May than we do now. In that period, just prior to the restrictions we had 95k people at the world cup,  mutiple outdoor music festivals (I was at one) and concerts etc. When the restrictions came in - and close to the peak - thousands crushed into supermarkets to panic buy.

I'm not down playing risk and fully support the restrictions and the need for social distancing and cleaning etc but the fact that there seems to have been very little community transmission in those environments in that period suggests they are relatively low risk. Not no no risk of course. 

In July we will have thousands of people back on public transport and working from offices. That is high risk. Compared to that football is low risk. Again not no risk but with mitigation stratgies and ability to respond quickly  test and isolate, an acceptable risk.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, binman said:

I can hardback (see it happening). In fact I will be surprised if it doesn't.

Going to the football will be relatively low risk. Easy to limit crowd and enforce social distancing (e.g. mandatory four seat spacing, no food or bars, no members dining, stagger entry, temperature tests at entry, maybe even mandatory installation of the covid app etc etc) and critically is outdoors.

Transmission appears to primarily have been in clusters, certainly in Australia. There has been almost none here where there has been random, fleeting contact. Which is why the case in QLD in the news today is causing consternation for official (How did he get it?)

All the clusters here (and seemingly most in other countries) have been in environments where people have shared space for a good chunk of time indoors (weddings, work places, cruise ships, family homes, restaurants .

We had covid in the community at likely a higher level in say early March to mid May than we do now. In that period, just prior to the restrictions we had 95k people at the world cup,  mutiple outdoor music festivals (I was at one) and concerts etc. When the restrictions came in - and close to the peak - thousands crushed into supermarkets to panic buy.

I'm not down playing risk and fully support the restrictions and the need for social distancing and cleaning etc but the fact that there seems to have been very little community transmission in those environments in that period suggests they are relatively low risk. Not no no risk of course. 

In July we will have thousands of people back on public transport and working from offices. That is high risk. Compared to that football is low risk. Again not no risk but with mitigation stratgies and ability to respond quickly  test and isolate, an acceptable risk.

Part of me hopes you're right binman, but I really don't think the AFL will be willing to risk it until after the anticipated 2nd wave has occurred, because one cluster could potentially set them back even further then the position they are currently in as it would mean the complete and indefinite abandonment of the competition.  Next year, yes, but not yet.

3 minutes ago, hardtack said:

Part of me hopes you're right binman, but I really don't think the AFL will be willing to risk it until after the anticipated 2nd wave has occurred, because one cluster could potentially set them back even further then the position they are currently in as it would mean the complete and indefinite abandonment of the competition.  Next year, yes, but not yet.

If there is serious second wave that leads to widespread community transmission then we will go back to lock down and everything will be off, not just football. But widespread community transmission is relatively unlikely whilst we have our borders closed and they have the capacity to test, trace and isolate (remembering they can do this so much better now than 3 months ago)

Second wave or not infections will happen in the community. 100%. But they are now controllable and are very unlikely to trigger mass infection. :Look at the cider meats clusters. Such was their confidence they could contain that and find everyone who might have become infected they still went forward with the next phase of lifting restrictions.

At the footy they could make sure each ticket had an allocated seats and require members or ticket holders to provide their full contact details. And if someone tested positive immediately contact everyone in their bay, stand or even the whole ground. Compare that to say the train. 

• Like 3