2019 AFL National Draft Thread

The Stigga

34 minutes ago, olisik said:

Young has been compared to Christian Salem. Flanders to Petracca 

Young looks to be a more penetrating kick than Salem, way more agile, and perfect for that rebounding half-back role and given some time could probably rotate through onto a wing. 

• Like 3

If it were my choice

Pick 3 after the Green Bid Hayden Young - like his penetrating kick, could be very valuable in transition 

Pick 8 - Brodie Kemp has so much versatility and despite the knee injury I would take the punt on him.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

6 hours ago, Pennant St Dee said:

If it were my choice

Pick 3 after the Green Bid Hayden Young - like his penetrating kick, could be very valuable in transition 

Pick 8 - Brodie Kemp has so much versatility and despite the knee injury I would take the punt on him.

Absolutely. This would be sensational.  Both could be absolute stars.  

Young’s delivery and aerial marking are exceptional.  

Kemp has all the qualities of a Dangerfield clone.  He’s worth grabbing and waiting 12 mths (if JT and Mahoney and Goody have the guts) 

• Like 4

I get the sense that we don't rate these players in the same order as other clubs so who we would pick with 3 might still be there at 6 or 7.

I'm hoping we do deals with GWS and then Freo to end up with 7, 8 and 10 rather 3 and 8.  That way we're likely to get 3 of Young, Serong, Ash, Kemp, Stephens, Weightman (or anyone else I've missed). 

Seeing as there is nothing else to look forward to again at this time of year as a Demon fan than who we will pick in the draft. I looked through Knightmare or Chris Doerre from ESPNs August 2019 draft rankings.

He had Green at 2, Rowell 3, Ash 4, Gould 5, Kemp 6, Young 7, Devon Roberton 8, Flanders 9, Serong 10. Of note he has Stephens ranked at 19. Weightman is not even in his top 20. Where as Cal Thoomey has Weightman at 12, Dylan Stephens at 10.

I'll be interested to see the November Phantom Drafts. But at this stage it looks like we couldn't really go past Kemp, Ash or Young at our current picks. 

I'm seeing everyone frothing about that centering kick by Young. While it is a great kick, it is only one kick in isolation.

I'd like to hear from those that have watched him play whole games (as opposed to one kick or a highlights clip). Does he get his own ball? Is his kicking overall elite? Marking ability? Is he teachable? Leadership? Etc.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

I'm seeing everyone frothing about that centering kick by Young. While it is a great kick, it is only one kick in isolation.

I'd like to hear from those that have watched him play whole games (as opposed to one kick or a highlights clip). Does he get his own ball? Is his kicking overall elite? Marking ability? Is he teachable? Leadership? Etc.

Thanks in advance.

Yes Mooney I also would like to see 

1 hour ago, Bonkers said:

Seeing as there is nothing else to look forward to again at this time of year as a Demon fan than who we will pick in the draft. I looked through Knightmare or Chris Doerre from ESPNs August 2019 draft rankings.

He had Green at 2, Rowell 3, Ash 4, Gould 5, Kemp 6, Young 7, Devon Roberton 8, Flanders 9, Serong 10. Of note he has Stephens ranked at 19. Weightman is not even in his top 20. Where as Cal Thoomey has Weightman at 12, Dylan Stephens at 10.

I'll be interested to see the November Phantom Drafts. But at this stage it looks like we couldn't really go past Kemp, Ash or Young at our current picks. 

So we go for Rowell right?? And Devon Robertson

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bonkers said:

That's changed now, this is an update 

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/27802450/afl-draft-power-rankings-rowell-back-top-afl-draft-nears

There are a lot of changes but Weightman is still outside the top 20.

Flanders at 4 with a good bio.

Edited by Dante
grammar
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, TheoX said:

Weightman seems a Lucas Cook-esque reach for needs at 8. Wouldve been a chance to get him at 26 you'd think. Hope we go Kemp if he's there.

Cal said Weightman could go between 10-20. He is one of this year’s bolters

1 minute ago, mauriesy said:

If all it took was my best golf shot, I could be playing on the PGA Tour.

This. Plus, people are saying he is quick. He’s not slow, but I don’t think he’s quick. Plus I’m not sure if you want to draft someone playing in his position at 3.

3 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

Thanks in advance.

Seen him play two games live. Answers to your questions below. 

Does he get his own ball? Yes. He can definitely win his own ball, and played a few games inside midfield. 

Is his kicking overall elite?  Yes. His kicking overall is elite. He's unquestionably the best kick in this draft class. His kicking is very accurate and well weighted both long and short. His long kicking has good punch and penetration. To compare kicking to a current AFL player, think Shannon Hurn or Daniel Rich with his ability to punch the ball forward.

Marking ability? Intercept marking is one of his strengths. He's very competitive in the air, uses his body well and times his marking/spoiling well. He reads the play very well. Doesn't have an enormous leap, but more than adequate.

Is he teachable? He seems a smart kid, often directing traffic out of the backline. He seems very teachable.

Leadership? He shows genuine leadership. As above, he is often directing traffic across halfback. He also takes responsibility in key moments as evidenced by 'the kick' in the tweet in this thread.

If I had to compare him to an AFL player it'd be Luke Hodge from early/late in his career where he played as a general across halfback. Young has shown he can play midfield, but he's best suited across halfback. Strengths are kicking and marking and he has great gamesense and composure.

He's the best option at pick 3 IMO.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Here's Knightmare's write-up for Young for last month. He seems like he's top 5 worthy and I'd be happy with him at 3.

"Provides consistent drive from defence with his work by foot a highlight. Rises ahead of Ash due stronger form over the latter part of the season and a better contested side to his game.

Strengths: Versatility to play defence or midfield, precise and damaging kick, vision, decision making under pressure, aggressive attack on the ball, contested ball winning, stoppage work, run and carry, agility, leap, one-on-one defence, defensive accountability, reading of the drop of the ball, intercept marking

Weaknesses: Sometimes too accountable, needs to provide a marking target more often around the ground rather running around the back for cheap handball receives"

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MurDoc516 said:

I'm liking the look of Young a lot.

How are you determining that MD when all we seem to have footage wise is that one lovely kick inside up there?  Do you have other stuff you can share pls?

2 minutes ago, old dee said:

People keep mentioning a Pick in the 90's but I cannot see a MFC pick on any list other than 3 &8. Where is this pick? 

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-09-29/indicative-draft-order-your-clubs-picks-as

We traded all our second-fith round draft picks. However we need to take at least 3 picks into the draft. So we'll have a pick at the start of the 6th round which is 97 atm. This will change draft night cause clubs will not be taking all 5 rounds of draft picks into the draft and I think will end up being around 70ish. That's if we don't trade to have a higher draft pick as our 3rd selection.

29 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

How are you determining that MD when all we seem to have footage wise is that one lovely kick inside up there?  Do you have other stuff you can share pls?

If you've got an iPhone, the NAB League app has footage of every player from every match. Not sure if it's available on Android. Probably the best way for general punter to see footage of these kids for now until the AFL website starts putting up highlights close to the draft.