Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

New Balance Re-Commits For 3 More Years

Demonland

• Demonland changed the title to New Balance Re-Commits For 3 More Years

• 2 months later...

Given the off-season boredom, I thought I would rehash an old gripe and get some thoughts on our current apparel sponsor, New Balance. 

This is not a bashing thread, as I have always maintained that NB produced quality apparel and I am happy with the way our jumpers and other apparel look.

HOWEVER, recently in the UK, Liverpool FC won a civil case against NB, who were trying to enforce a sponsorship deal. It's long winded and if you wish to read here https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-kit-deal-nike-new-balance-court-case-verdict-latest-news-a9170686.html

but basically, Liverpool had a problem with the exposure NB offered them. There was some dispute about retail opportunities etc. 

To bring this back to the MFC, I have always thought that NB should be doing more to expose the MFC in retail stores. I frequent their stores and they stock almmost no MFC at all. Occasionally, like right now, you find the odd clearance item at DFO (Jumpers on sale for $30), but that is about it. Adidas (Hawthorn, Essendon) offer plenty more exposure. 

There is a NB at Chadstone, they stock ZERO MFC apparel. That's a major shopping centre frequented by tourists. You'd expect a football club carrying the 'Melbourne' branding would gain some attention from tourists. 

Maybe I expect too much. I look at OS sports and the level of merchandise sales compared to the AFL and think that there is more to be done. For starters, every time an MFC player wears long sleeves, social media is flooded with requests for adult long sleeve jumpers. Apparently, according to the Demon Shop, these will be produced next year - I will wait to see if this eventuates. 

So while I enjoy NB as an MFC sponsor, love the discounts, I wonder if they are doing enough to generate exposure and/or producing goods that the customer base would be interested in. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Leoncelli_36 said:

Given the off-season boredom, I thought I would rehash an old gripe and get some thoughts on our current apparel sponsor, New Balance. 

This is not a bashing thread, as I have always maintained that NB produced quality apparel and I am happy with the way our jumpers and other apparel look.

HOWEVER, recently in the UK, Liverpool FC won a civil case against NB, who were trying to enforce a sponsorship deal. It's long winded and if you wish to read here https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-kit-deal-nike-new-balance-court-case-verdict-latest-news-a9170686.html

but basically, Liverpool had a problem with the exposure NB offered them. There was some dispute about retail opportunities etc. 

To bring this back to the MFC, I have always thought that NB should be doing more to expose the MFC in retail stores. I frequent their stores and they stock almmost no MFC at all. Occasionally, like right now, you find the odd clearance item at DFO (Jumpers on sale for $30), but that is about it. Adidas (Hawthorn, Essendon) offer plenty more exposure. 

There is a NB at Chadstone, they stock ZERO MFC apparel. That's a major shopping centre frequented by tourists. You'd expect a football club carrying the 'Melbourne' branding would gain some attention from tourists. 

Maybe I expect too much. I look at OS sports and the level of merchandise sales compared to the AFL and think that there is more to be done. For starters, every time an MFC player wears long sleeves, social media is flooded with requests for adult long sleeve jumpers. Apparently, according to the Demon Shop, these will be produced next year - I will wait to see if this eventuates. 

So while I enjoy NB as an MFC sponsor, love the discounts, I wonder if they are doing enough to generate exposure and/or producing goods that the customer base would be interested in. 

You make a very good point about the exposure in their retail stores.

We need to cash in the on MELBOURNE name brand. However we also need to put runs on the board and start being successful for it to carry any weight. I'm surprised the AFL hasn't stripped us of the name and given it to Richmond or Collingwood.

Back on topic though which other AFL clubs are sponsored by NB and are they adequately represented in the retail stores?

We are the only club sponsored by NB , the main global clubs sponsored by NB are Liverpool and I think Celtic 

Across the afl however most common apparel sponsor is ISC -  Meth coke , crows , swans and essenscum are all sponsored by them 

Carltank have Nike , Dawks adidas and tigers have Puma 

Your right I think having a Nike or addidas gives much more direct exposure , I like the NBA model where all teams have the same apparel  sponsor Nike and then there is a consistent level of offering of apparel wear just with the different club designs ( only exception in Charlotte which has the air Jordan brand ) 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Delusional demon 82 said:

We are the only club sponsored by NB , the main global clubs sponsored by NB are Liverpool and I think Celtic 

Across the afl however most common apparel sponsor is ISC -  Meth coke , crows , swans and essenscum are all sponsored by them 

Carltank have Nike , Dawks adidas and tigers have Puma 

Your right I think having a Nike or addidas gives much more direct exposure , I like the NBA model where all teams have the same apparel  sponsor Nike and then there is a consistent level of offering of apparel wear just with the different club designs ( only exception in Charlotte which has the air Jordan brand ) 

In Australia yes, plenty of other Football clubs have New Balance as their apparel supplier eg. FC Porto (Portugal), Sevilla (La Liga, Spain), Lille, Nantes FC (Liege 1 France) England Cricket team, South Africa Cricket team, Tennis Milos Raonic, Jordan Thompson etc.

• 4 weeks later...

I hate to bump this topic again, but I really feel this is an issue the club needs to be doing something about. Last night I was doing some Christmas shopping at Chadstone and thought I’d drop by the NB store, as I wanted to grab some presents for overseas family. I was hoping to get some MFC stuff for a couple of young cousins. 

I walked into NB and was immediately confronted with the Liverpool FC section of clothing. I spent a few minutes browsing the racks. No MFC stuff. So, I asked the store clerk. Firstly, he didn’t know who the MFC were, then told me “you’d have to find that stuff online”.

A pretty poor response and again I left the the store thinking ‘what a lousy partnership’. Then, to further the disappointment, I passed the Under Armour store about two stores up. I peered inside and saw an enormous rack of Essendon gear (excuse obvious pun). Not only was there a huge amount of Essendon merch, but a couple of wall to floor bollards featuring Dylan Shiel and Andrew McGath. I didnt even have to enter to the shop to see these. It was plastered at the front entrance. 

Point of all this? Why are we not pushing NB to do more for us in terms of branding and getting our name out there. If other clubs are cutting these sort of deals, who at the MFC is asleep at the wheel when negotiating terms with NB. Under Armour have obviously picked Essendon up this year and may want to promote this to make a name in AFL, but it’s not unreasonable to expect something from our apparel sponsor. To not have a single piece of MFC apparel in a flagship store is a disgrace.

Edited by Leoncelli_36
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, Leoncelli_36 said:

I hate to bump this topic again, but I really feel this is an issue the club needs to be doing something about. Last night I was doing some Christmas shopping at Chadstone and thought I’d drop by the NB, and I wanted to grab some presents for overseas family. I was hoping to get some MFC stuff for a couple of young cousins. 

I walked into NB and was immediately confronted with the Liverpool FC section of clothing. I spent a few minutes browsing the racks. No MFC stuff. So, I asked the store clerk. Firstly, he didn’t know who the MFC were, then told me “you’d have to find that stuff online”.

A pretty poor response and again I left the the store thinking ‘what a lousy partnership’. Then, to further disappointment, I passed the Under Armour store about two stores up. I peered inside and saw an enormous rack of Essendon gear (excuse obvious pun). Not only was there a huge amount of Essendon merch, but a couple of wall to floor bollards featuring Dylan Shiel and Andrew McGath. I didnt even have to enter to the shop to see these. It was plastered at the front entrance. 

Poimt of all this? Why are we not pushing NB to do more for us in terms of branding and getting our name out there. If other clubs are cutting these sort of deals, who at the MFC is asleep at the wheel when negotiating terms with NB. Under Armour have obviously picked Essendon up this year and may want to promote this to make a name in AFL, but it’s not unreasonable to expect something from our apparel sponsor. To not have a single piece of MFC apparel in a flagship store is a disgrace.

Firstly, I admire you courage in going to Chadstone in December.

I wonder whether NB not doing more is related to the agreement between NB and the club? Is it possible if we wanted more in-store exposure we would have to pay for it? In sponsorship terms, that might mean less cash from NB in return for that exposure. It might have been discussed and we decided to take the cash rather than the contra.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Firstly, I admire you courage in going to Chadstone in December.

I wonder whether NB not doing more is related to the agreement between NB and the club? Is it possible if we wanted more in-store exposure we would have to pay for it? In sponsorship terms, that might mean less cash from NB in return for that exposure. It might have been discussed and we decided to take the cash rather than the contra.

I don’t know the inner workings of it all, but it’s just another area in which we seem to be behind other clubs in. It all adds up.

if anyone does want NB jumpers or polos, the NB store on Smith Street Collingwood has jumpers for $35.00 a snow polos for $20. They are on the top level at the very back, tucked away in a corner. At least it’s cheap

9 hours ago, Leoncelli_36 said:

I hate to bump this topic again, but I really feel this is an issue the club needs to be doing something about. Last night I was doing some Christmas shopping at Chadstone and thought I’d drop by the NB store, as I wanted to grab some presents for overseas family. I was hoping to get some MFC stuff for a couple of young cousins. 

A pretty poor response and again I left the the store thinking ‘what a lousy partnership’. Then, to further the disappointment, I passed the Under Armour store about two stores up. I peered inside and saw an enormous rack of Essendon gear (excuse obvious pun). Not only was there a huge amount of Essendon merch, but a couple of wall to floor bollards featuring Dylan Shiel and Andrew McGath. I didnt even have to enter to the shop to see these. It was plastered at the front entrance. 

Point of all this? Why are we not pushing NB to do more for us in terms of branding and getting our name out there. If other clubs are cutting these sort of deals, who at the MFC is asleep at the wheel when negotiating terms with NB. Under Armour have obviously picked Essendon up this year and may want to promote this to make a name in AFL, but it’s not unreasonable to expect something from our apparel sponsor. To not have a single piece of MFC apparel in a flagship store is a disgrace.

There is a NB outlet on Smith Street near Alexandra Parade Fitzroy/Collingwood. They always have older heavily discounted Dees merch upstairs. Won't bother the cousins if it's old stuff! 

Edited by Hell Bent
Spelling

It would be easy to under-estimate the importance of this announcement. For a club that has struggled to retain sponsors for much more than a couple of years - think Primus, Hankook, Webjet, Kaspersky, Opel, Asics (I think) - this , and Jaguar backing up, is a very good sign.

Compare our record to ordinary clubs like Norf (Mazda for ever) and the Dogs (stole Mission from us and have retained them for seven or eight years) and you realise it's long overdue for us to build some relationships that stick. So well done Pertie. Now get us a home.