WELCOME TO DEMONLAND - ADAM TOMLINSON

dazzledavey36

38 minutes ago, Laughing Goat said:

Our midfield does need gut-running & two-way running mids but the way the 6,6,6 is structured now, you also need speed & composure with ball in hand. We don't have speed & we don't have composure with ball in hand & we were one of the highest turnover teams this yeah when under the pump. (partly Goodwin's fault too as he unfortunately didn't have a plan B) We have too many role players ATM & we need impact players & pace. 

As you said he may help our list to some degree, however, impact player no.....role player yes, but slow & not the answer IMO.

I stand to be corrected though& time will tell I guess.

I’m with LG on this one

8 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

We haven't been bold enough with our recruiting since the Jurrah saga. Continue to play it safe with private school boys instead.

Sydney Stack, Marlion Pickett, Liam Ryan are just perfect examples who we've had the opportunity to select.

Yeah coz Daz we are STILL a conservative squeeky clean Blue blood club. I agree

Time to go after some players WHO CAN PLAY and stuff public scrutiny and Nice Guys image!

Just an observation, anyone can have a whinge about something, it’s a different story altogether coming up with a solution. 

We need to fill spots on our list, Tomlinson is free and we can’t fill all the spots with draft picks. Not one poster who is unhappy with the (potential) recruiting of Tomlinson can offer an actual solution (keeping in mind he is free).

Note: He’s a hell of a lot cheaper than what Frost’s asking price is. 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

37 minutes ago, pitmaster said:

Go ahead and bag Goodwin all you like but to say he had no Plan B is total horse sh*t. If you took any notice this year - and you might be forgiven for ceasing to pay attention - you'd have seen that we changed our game style completely mid-season.The manic running, play on at all cost through the corridor (for which we did not have the skills to execute) was abandoned for a slower, more deliberative controlled play. If that is not a Plan B, what is?

Gee that worked well!! Did not even look at the replay of the Prelim!! IF, IF,??  that IS correct then a damning indictment!!

41 minutes ago, pitmaster said:

Go ahead and bag Goodwin all you like but to say he had no Plan B is total horse sh*t. If you took any notice this year - and you might be forgiven for ceasing to pay attention - you'd have seen that we changed our game style completely mid-season.The manic running, play on at all cost through the corridor (for which we did not have the skills to execute) was abandoned for a slower, more deliberative controlled play. If that is not a Plan B, what is?

Reckon you'll find that when people raise that point they're talking about a secondary plan DURING games, not a changing in overall style once the year is cooked.

Think you'll find we rarely adjusting in-game during the season, under either overall style, so it's not horse sh*t at all. I'm not a Goodwin hater at all, but it's pretty obvious it's a weakness of him and his team to this stage.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

SK if this is some sort of Gosch's coup d'etat you realise you are going to have to get past one cranky bearded adversary down there ...and upon reading the above you would be in for a bit of a bake me thinks.  Not that it would take much!

Don't say i didn't warn you.

Yeh gods, is he a barista?

1 hour ago, Neil Crompton said:

Bit tough ET. How many 16 year olds would have a solution? For that matter, how many adults do. You gotta admire her balls though.

Probably a bit rough to use her as an analogy but that’s all it was.

If you have an issue, problem or disagree with something that’s fine, just come at me with a solution or options, otherwise don’t bother. I apply this to the Tomlinson trade and posters being unhappy with it. 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Just an observation, anyone can have a whinge about something, it’s a different story altogether coming up with a solution. 

We need to fill spots on our list, Tomlinson is free and we can’t fill all the spots with draft picks. Not one poster who is unhappy with the (potential) recruiting of Tomlinson is yet to offer an actual solution (keeping in mind he is free).

I'm quite happy with Tomlinson but we have quite a few average role players.  Just not sure we need another one, even if he is better than those we have.  I would be a lot happier if we had not signed up role players in ANB, the two Wagners etc with other role players in contract.  At some point we need impact players.

Tbh, I would rather keep the spot on our list vacant for a year rather than commit to another role player albeit versatile, for a 3-4 year contract.  At the quoted rate that is $1.2 to $1.6 of our salary cap.  I know by 'free' you mean draft picks/trades but that sort of money in a tight sal cap doesn't make him 'free'.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

1 hour ago, binman said:

That's not a solution. That's a shopping list.

I presume you want a fast runners who can kick. Off the top of your head who is avaible tbat meets that criteria?

Its hard to know who is really available but some outside midfielders likely to be on the move are: Hill (3 premierships), Papley (Grand Finalist), Martin, Zac Jones (Grand Finalist), Brandon Ellis (2 premierships). The only one who can't kick as a strength is Jones but he would generally fit the criteria.

For whatever reason we seem not interested in any of them (which I doubt) or they have chosen Saints/Blues/Gold Coast (Papley still uncertain) instead of us.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

59 minutes ago, binman said:

That's not a solution. That's a shopping list.

I presume you want a fast runners who can kick. Off the top of your head who is avaible tbat meets that criteria?

29 minutes ago, jumbo returns said:

Richmond have got plenty! Money, wine and dine....be creative!

17 minutes ago, binman said:

Again. Thats not a solution.

I think it is a solution 'bin'...

There will be a few at Tigerland looking for a regular game and a good payday.

Players want to play and they are professionals who need to be paid well for their work.

Another player has just been parachuted in ahead of others, no matter the talk of brotherhood players will move for the right offer.

Richmond is definitely the first place I would be looking.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Shift $$$ to Jack Newnes.  Ditch this dealing with Tomlinson.  Slow and ineffective.  

https://www.zerohanger.com/best-and-worst-kicks-inside-50-unveiled-29660/

3. Jack Newnes (St Kilda): 29 kicks — 48.3 per cent retention rate

4. Bradley Hill (Fremantle): 27 kicks — 48.1 per cent retention rate

Edited by John Demonic

From what I saw of Demons in 2019 we have a surfeit of turn over merchants already. I didn't watch much of the Grand final after the first quarter because the writing of the slaughter was way too visible on the wall, but I did notice Mr Tomlinson is very gifted at kicking the ball to the opposition with pinpoint accuracy. He reminded me of the Mighty Dom...

The other observation, since I now have your undivided attention, is the simple fact that 4 of our main exports had very injury interrupted seasons - Dom, Hogan, Kent and Watts. 

I spoke to a Port supporter during the weak and he said Port Adelaide were very happy with Watts this season, very happy...until he broke his leg.

9 minutes ago, John Demonic said:

https://www.zerohanger.com/best-and-worst-kicks-inside-50-unveiled-29660/

3. Jack Newnes (St Kilda): 29 kicks — 48.3 per cent retention rate

4. Bradley Hill (Fremantle): 27 kicks — 48.1 per cent retention rate

Therein are some scary tables, JD:

Worst Kicks Inside 50

1. Clayton Oliver (Melbourne): 45 kicks — 8.9 per cent retention rate

3. Ed Langdon (Fremantle): 30 kicks — 16.7 per cent retention rate

I guess the retention rate has a bit to do with how well the forwards defend.  Nonetheless, Oliver and Langdon 1 and 3 worst are a bit of a worry.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Shocked 1

21 minutes ago, Nelo said:

This is such a typical Melb move. Recruiting a player that’s not going to make any significant improvement to the team.  

Not sure what this means...

Established players we have recruited in recent years:

Vince (2013)

Garlett (2014)

Melksham (2015)

Hibberd (2016)

Lewis (2016)

Lever (2017)

May (2018)

All of these are / have been walk-up starts to our best 22 and have made a 'significant improvement to the team'.  There's a B&F winner and multiple All Australian squad members.

Add Langdon (likely), Tomlinson (likely) and Elliot (50/50) and our recruitment of established senior players has been quite strong.

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

I'm quite happy with Tomlinson but we have quite a few average role players.  Just not sure we need another one, even if he is better than those we have.  I would be a lot happier if we had not signed up role players in ANB, the two Wagners etc with other role players in contract.  At some point we need impact players.

Tbh, I would rather keep the spot on our list vacant for a year rather than commit to another role player albeit versatile, for a 3-4 year contract.  At the quoted rate that is $1.2 to $1.6 of our salary cap.  I know by 'free' you mean draft picks/trades but that sort of money in a tight sal cap doesn't make him 'free'.

I am slowly turning towards that option LH.  Save the cap space and make a huge play for a potential game changer in 2020 with the likes of say a Whitfield or a Cameron.

I don't usually agree with Garry but on this occasion he might have made a reasonable call.

Tomlinson just doesn't do it for me as much as i would like to hope he will and hope that i'm proven wrong.  We need manic closing speed (spoiling / pressure acts) and finishing skills to close the gap on the Tigers and other top liners and i don't see him bringing either.

So many non-impact players.... the more we sign the further we fall behind.  Already coming from a massive distance back in the marathon pack with the leader about a kilometer ahead.

Edited by Rusty Nails