Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Wiseblood

Demons Grand Plan for Yarra Park Training HQ

Recommended Posts

What Pert is finding, I am guessing, is that "Gary Pert CEO" does not cut nearly as much ice when it is not on "Collingwood" letterhead.

Might as well be Sid Flubb asking the govt for money for digs to host the world scrabble tournament.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Let me make this claim based on no inside information...

I predict that Collingwood will relocate their training facilities to Victoria Park and we will take over theirs at Olympic Park.  Collingwood will choose to move because of a multi-million dollar upgrade supported by Federal and/or State Governments. Our new facilities will also be upgraded as part of the deal. While the fingerprints of Gary Pert will be found all over the plans, it will be Eddie McGuire who will bask in the glory of taking Collingwood "home".

That'd be great!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Let me make this claim based on no inside information...

I predict that Collingwood will relocate their training facilities to Victoria Park and we will take over theirs at Olympic Park.  Collingwood will choose to move because of a multi-million dollar upgrade supported by Federal and/or State Governments. Our new facilities will also be upgraded as part of the deal. While the fingerprints of Gary Pert will be found all over the plans, it will be Eddie McGuire who will bask in the glory of taking Collingwood "home".

any minute now LDC you will wake from this slumber.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mazer Rackham said:

What Pert is finding, I am guessing, is that "Gary Pert CEO" does not cut nearly as much ice when it is not on "Collingwood" letterhead.

Might as well be Sid Flubb asking the govt for money for digs to host the world scrabble tournament.

A much higher chance of success MR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, old dee said:

While they remain tethered to Yarra Park rjay I seriously doubt anything will happen.

If not already they need to start working on plan B

Honestly 'old dee', I don't think we are...

Certainly that's the media & Demonland narrative but I think we have moved past that.

No inside info but I just can't see intelligent people like Bartlett & Pert not working on another plan.

Bartlett has alluded to multiple plans in the past.

Yarra park might be a strategic play, smoke and mirrors to leverage something else.

58 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Let me make this claim based on no inside information...

I predict that Collingwood will relocate their training facilities to Victoria Park and we will take over theirs at Olympic Park.  Collingwood will choose to move because of a multi-million dollar upgrade supported by Federal and/or State Governments. Our new facilities will also be upgraded as part of the deal. While the fingerprints of Gary Pert will be found all over the plans, it will be Eddie McGuire who will bask in the glory of taking Collingwood "home".

I think we might be involved here.

Again, no inside information.

I don't see Collingwood heading back to Vic park though. No money has been allocated or promised there.

The money that's been discussed is for the sporting precinct of which we are a part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Wells 11 said:

The fact he went so public on Yarra park , when it actually was so tenuous has made me doubt his capacity. 

Wouldn't it be nice if a few more people on here checked their facts before blasting away at people and doubting their capacity. 

Yarra Park was leaked to the press well before Pert even started at MFC. My guess without any source is that some other retiring CEO wanted to make sure they protected their legacy by making sure they were given credit for the concept. It was leaked way too early and Pert has clearly been in damage control over it ever since he arrived. 

I hope they are working on plenty of other sites because this one seems very unlikely. Would be spectacular if LDC was right but I doubt they'll be giving up the Holden Centre ever. They might develop Vic Park but I reckon it will be in addition to what they have now. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DeeZone said:

Wasn't it PM Gillard who threw $27M at the Bulldogs to tidy up the western Oval???????

Thrown at the Western Suburbs more particularly as a community sporting precinct.

It's not too hard to work out the boxes one must tick for funding etc which makes it all the more amazing that anyone thought the Jolimont Park idea would ever fly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, rjay said:

Honestly 'old dee', I don't think we are...

Certainly that's the media & Demonland narrative but I think we have moved past that.

No inside info but I just can't see intelligent people like Bartlett & Pert not working on another plan.

Bartlett has alluded to multiple plans in the past.

Yarra park might be a strategic play, smoke and mirrors to leverage something else.

I think we might be involved here.

Again, no inside information.

I don't see Collingwood heading back to Vic park though. No money has been allocated or promised there.

The money that's been discussed is for the sporting precinct of which we are a part.

Re Vic Park my understanding is that Yarra council have no interest in using Vic Park for anything other than local use. And why would the Pies want to go back there they have effectively replaced us in the central Melbourne area. They have a fabulous area now in the old  Olympic area and more Government money coming. Every time I go by there I mentally weep. The MFC should be in there however we blew it so now we take the left overs what they are in the future who knows, but we need to do something very soon.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Thrown at the Western Suburbs more particularly as a community sporting precinct.

It's not too hard to work out the boxes one must tick for funding etc which makes it all the more amazing that anyone thought the Jolimont Park idea would ever fly.

Total cynical view DJ but the information seemed to come out just before the AGM last year. There was little comment at the AGM because " there was still negotiations going on" . Fixed for another year! 

As I have said elsewhere the desire to be close to the G is a very very large impediment.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, old dee said:

Re Vic Park my understanding is that Yarra council have no interest in using Vic Park for anything other than local use. And why would the Pies want to go back there they have effectively replaced us in the central Melbourne area. They have a fabulous area now in the old  Olympic area and more Government money coming. Every time I go by there I mentally weep. The MFC should be in there however we blew it so now we take the left overs what they are in the future who knows, but we need to do something very soon.

you touch on an interesting point OD ie the degree of exclusivity increasingly required by an AFL club for its training space.

Most of the training ovals are now no go areas as far as the public are concerned. Gosch's Park is one of the main exceptions. Arden Street was open ..not sure if it still is. In this regard going back to Vic Park would be  a retrograde step for the CFC not to mention that the oval would probably be smaller.

The hard reality is that the best location from a long term player facility development aspect is Casey. How we deal with the cultural home aspect is a separate challenge which would be easily fixed with a few premiership flags !!

Edited by Diamond_Jim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

The hard reality is that the best location from a long term player facility development aspect is Casey.

Think Seaford and you will know that Casey would be a retrograde step...

You could kiss goodby any thoughts of being a destination club.

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

you touch on an interesting point OD ie the degree of exclusivity increasingly required by an AFL club for its training space.

Most of the training ovals are now no go areas as far as the public are concerned. Gosch's Park is one of the main exceptions. Arden Street was open ..not sure if it still is. In this regard going back to Vic Park would be  a retrograde step for the CFC not to mention that the oval would probably be smaller.

The hard reality is that the best location from a long term player facility development aspect is Casey. How we deal with the cultural home aspect is a separate challenge which would be easily fixed with a few premiership flags !!

The last line fixes everything DJ, the Hawks don't seem to have been affected adversely by being at Waverely or Dingley. 

Docklands or Casey seem the only options to me and as Docklands is probably 10+ years away at best it is Casey for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is still hard to believe we are the oldest club and the only club with a 'pop-up' training ground. AFL should compensate for kicking us off the G and allowing other clubs to play at 'our' ground. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rjay said:

Think Seaford and you will know that Casey would be a retrograde step...

You could kiss goodby any thoughts of being a destination club.

So where rjay?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, SPC said:

It is still hard to believe we are the oldest club and the only club with a 'pop-up' training ground. AFL should compensate for kicking us off the G and allowing other clubs to play at 'our' ground. 

SPC I think it was the MCC who kicked us off in the mid sixties so Richmond could play games there and it was the VFL in those days. We have been dithering ever since.

Oh for an "Eddy McGuire " at the MFC.

Edited by old dee
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, old dee said:

SPC I think it was the MCC who kicked us off in the mid sixties so Richmond could play games there and it was the VFL in those days. We have been dithering ever since.

Oh for an "Eddy McGuire " at the MFC.

Would have been good to have someone with a bit of grunt to dig the heals in and demand a better deal. Weak off the field and on it unfortunately. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had our chance. 

“Diamond” Joe Gutnick was the one who knocked back the Lexus Centre 

Said we couldn’t afford it. I don’t think Joe ever understood Good Debt. 

Absolute Fool put us back 20-30 years

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The issue of true permanent home is, for me, the biggest impediment to a successful future the club faces.

Bloody hard to sell our club as a destination for (particularly) free agents when we train on a public park that is not even the correct proportions for footy, and we share the Gym and other facilities with other sports. Its no wonder MFC have trouble getting players to come here for less than top dollar, because we are not only mediocre on the field but are essentially homeless.

If the club somehow manages to get us a home in/near the center of Melbourne I will celebrate like we have just won a premiership, because it might just be a big factor in our next one.

 

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SPC said:

Would have been good to have someone with a bit of grunt to dig the heals in and demand a better deal. Weak off the field and on it unfortunately. 

Back then SPC MFC members only got to vote for part of the total number of board members ( cloudy memory but I think it was 30% but it was less than a majority ) the rest where nominated by the MCC. So the blame squarely rests with the MCC. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No chance of Yarra Park getting up without the support of the State Govt, Council and Local Community groups. Waste of Club resources to be looking at it. We have Carlton, Collingwood, Richmond and the Kangas all in the greater City area . We are seriously  outflanked and out muscled. Maybe Casey has the best chance of attracting State Government dollars for development and game hosting as the Bulldogs are proposing. Not sure how the players would feel about being based out there though.I like all of us love the G but would also love the idea of playing, say Freo or Gold Coast at our own home ground with a sellout Demons crowd.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

iirc our admin staff are located at the MCG?  Can't imagine prising them out of there.  Casey is a problem for staff who come from all corners of Melbourne and would have to go there every day.  Moreso for those that rely on public transport or are part-time which would include some of the medico and fitness staff who may have practices elsewhere.

As for the players, the impression I have, most live inner east, east or south.  A drive down the freeway will get them to Casey in half an hour and that would be only a few days a week. 

I doubt the club will move football staff from AAMI further from the admin staff at the MCG.

As the decision makers are senior admin and the Board I see zilch chance of Casey being our base for the whole club. 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1
  • Shocked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

As for the players, the impression I have, most live inner east, east or south.  A drive down the freeway will get them to Casey in half an hour and that would be only a few days a week. 

Good luck getting to Casey in half an hour mid week...

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Mazer Rackham said:

What Pert is finding, I am guessing, is that "Gary Pert CEO" does not cut nearly as much ice when it is not on "Collingwood" letterhead.

Might as well be Sid Flubb asking the govt for money for digs to host the world scrabble tournament.

Quick witted poster redundancy issue... Redacted!

Edited by Rusty Nails

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

iirc our admin staff are located at the MCG?  Can't imagine prising them out of there.  Casey is a problem for staff who come from all corners of Melbourne and would have to go there every day.  Moreso for those that rely on public transport or are part-time which would include some of the medico and fitness staff who may have practices elsewhere.

As for the players, the impression I have, most live inner east, east or south.  A drive down the freeway will get them to Casey in half an hour and that would be only a few days a week. 

I doubt the club will move football staff from AAMI further from the admin staff at the MCG.

As the decision makers are senior admin and the Board I see zilch chance of Casey being our base for the whole club. 

So where LH?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, rjay said:

Good luck getting to Casey in half an hour mid week...

1/2 is based on players generally travelling outside peak hour and travel in the opposite direction to peak travellers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WHAT, NO BLOOD? by George on the Outer

    The feeling when turning up to the MCG on a Saturday night to play a top four side in Richmond, while the Melbourne sits cemented in close proximity to the bottom of the table is like attending the Colosseum in Ancient Roman times. The expectation is that a bloodbath is about to occur. There are 100,000 Richmond members and 50,000 Melbourne members, and despite the fact that it turned out to be a wet night after half-time, a crowd of only 37K bothered to turn up. That should never have happ

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    A MAN’S ERRAND by KC from Casey

    A young and undermanned Casey Demons were sent out on Saturday to the Swinburne Centre in the shadows of the MCG on a man’s errand against a very experienced Richmond VFL combination which is the clear ladder leader and fielded no less than 18 AFL listed players. It was expected to be a rout and the Tigers made easy work of it in the early stages when they held a 26 point lead by quarter time. To their credit however, the Demons weathered the storm and kept their opponents within the range

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THAT’S FOOTBALL by Whispering Jack

    As the season rolls on towards the finals and the football world witnesses the aftermath of the sacking of the league’s unsuccessful coaches, it’s almost  inevitable that the spotlight will turn firmly upon the complete and utter failure of season 2019 - the Melbourne Football Club.  For a team that finished in fourth place last year and was heavily touted as a premiership contender, the fall from grace has been dramatic. As things stand, the Demons look certain to finish 13 places down on

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE MOMENT OF TRUTH IS COMING by KC from Casey

    At half time in Sunday’s game at Trevor Barker Beach Oval, things weren’t looking too flash for the flailing finals prospects of the Casey Demons. Key forward Sam Weideman had suffered a concussion in his first contest and, with a few exceptions, the team was playing like a rabble rather than a finals contender. The Demons were 23 points in arrears to the Zebras and their season was headed towards oblivion. It was the skipper Mitch White who spurred his team on by word and by deed - he fini

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

×
×
  • Create New...