Michael Walters Acting

Cranky Franky

Really disappointed in this bloke & good to see he got a week for headbutting.  He used to be one of my favourite non MFC players because of his fearless attack on the ball & unselfish play.

Saturday changed that - he was acting up for frees & milking it shamelessly.  He was tackled legitimately but went down like he was shot & got paid a free for over the shoulder, later on he again got tackled fairly by Petty I think & milked it again & sucked the umpire in for another free.  Spectators at the ground picked it up & he was then booed the next few times he went near the pill.  Really poor umpiring. 

• Like 8

I watched the replay on Sunday & thought the exact same thing. Even when Jones dropped his shoulder into him after the headbutt he was wiping his mouth of non existent blood as there was no contact anywhere near his mouth. It was purely for the umpires benefit. He can play but he is a deadset [censored] after that 4 quarter acting display.

• Like 3

Ducked to draw a free kick from the May tackle.

Went down like shot when Petty I think fairly made a spoil only milliseconds after he marked to draw a 50.

Straight dived to draw that reversal with Jones.

Throw in Fyfe and Hill amongst others throwing themselves desperately forward to get push in the back free kicks that weren't paid the other way and Freo manipulated the umpires very well. Those tactics rarely work long term though.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Old Man Rivers said:

I watched the replay on Sunday & thought the exact same thing. Even when Jones dropped his shoulder into him after the headbutt he was wiping his mouth of non existent blood as there was no contact anywhere near his mouth. It was purely for the umpires benefit. He can play but he is a deadset [censored] after that 4 quarter acting display.

Even if he did stage for the Jones one the free reversal was there. It was right in front of the umpire. I want to know what the 50 m was for.

• Like 1

I note also that Jadyn Hunt and a Freo bloke got pinged for wrestling - I’m assuming that it was the one on the southern wing boundary line. Whilst Jadyn was clearly milking the “tangle” of legs, the Freo bloke unashamedly dropped the knees into Hunt’s head - right in front of the adjudicating clown. No mention of this any where in the MRP comments. No thought of a free kick reversal there! Just another example of the double standards. 

• Like 8
  • Love 2

8 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Straight dived to draw that reversal with Jones.

Throw in Fyfe and Hill amongst others throwing themselves desperately forward to get push in the back free kicks that weren't paid the other way and Freo manipulated the umpires very well. Those tactics rarely work long term though.

Also throw in the Trac (he “threw himself in”  over the boundary line in front of the Members Stand)....

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Old Man Rivers said:

I thought Jones should got the free kick. In my eyes Walters attempted to head but Jones shoulder 

• Haha 2

Well, we can take some comfort in watching him bounce pathetically off Viney over and over.

Sydney Stack, he ain't.

Edit: Holy crap, I just looked at another angle of Walter's dive and he was already dropping his knees before Jones made contact! Took both feet off the ground and let himself fall forward onto Jones.

Sniper and 'simulator' all in one game.

I fear I'll be getting some 'behavioural awareness' attention next time we play freo.

Edited by Little Goffy
  • Like 4
  • Angry 1

29 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Even if he did stage for the Jones one the free reversal was there. It was right in front of the umpire. I want to know what the 50 m was for.

The Jones reversal is what is turning me off the game. You can charge someone (see Walters on Viney just as that melee started) while they’re not looking, yet you can’t do what Jones did. 

Even the remonstration that Jones copped from the Freo boys after that incident could’ve been reversed. If you’re going to pay one, then pay the next is all I’m saying. I’m sick of the umpires nitpicking what is paid a free and what is not. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

34 minutes ago, Megatron said:

This is exactly what I’m talking about.

It was a gutless effort from Walters no doubt. Viney saw him a millisecond before the contact and did just enough to avoid being poleaxed whilst Walters flopped pathetically to the turf. He would only have the courage to 'go' Viney if Viney wasn't looking. Weak as water from Walters. A talented player but a flopper and an inept sniper. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

That 50 metre penalty that Jonesy gave away after Lockhart was headbutted  was worth it IMO and l know he Walters the thug felt it.     To stand up for your team mate is the pinnacle .

The other when Walters comes in to remonstrate running towards Viney and what a mistake that was lands [censored] over. However for that bruised all over  two good knocks by the co captains.  And the prize for his mishaps suspended for one week.

Something to think about... Not a good week WALLY! 

• Like 1

I asked the question on another thread so if anyone can help I would appreciate it.

When Jones caused the reversal of Viney's free kick, why did they also get a 50m penalty too.  The same thing happened at Casey yesterday and it does not make sense.

Just now, Salems Lot said:

I asked the question on another thread so if anyone can help I would appreciate it.

When Jones caused the reversal of Viney's free kick, why did they also get a 50m penalty too.  The same thing happened at Casey yesterday and it does not make sense.

The only thing I could think of was “umpire abuse” following the reversal. 

I haven’t watched the replay so I’m unsure if the reversal and 50m were paid at the same time. If there was a break between the reversal and the 50m penalty, the above may explain it?? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RalphiusMaximus said:

We still haven't seen anyone suspended for staging. The rule is there but the umps and the AFL are afraid to pull the trigger on it. 

Ageee. What’s the point of having rules if they aren’t enforced. 

• Love 2

1 hour ago, Cranky Franky said:

Really disappointed in this bloke & good to see he got a week for headbutting.  He used to be one of my favourite non MFC players because of his fearless attack on the ball & unselfish play.

Saturday changed that - he was acting up for frees & milking it shamelessly.  He was tackled legitimately but went down like he was shot & got paid a free for over the shoulder, later on he again got tackled fairly by Petty I think & milked it again & sucked the umpire in for another free.  Spectators at the ground picked it up & he was then booed the next few times he went near the pill.  Really poor umpiring. 

Must be a pack of deplorable racists!?

1 hour ago, Call Me What You Will said:

I note also that Jadyn Hunt and a Freo bloke got pinged for wrestling - I’m assuming that it was the one on the southern wing boundary line. Whilst Jadyn was clearly milking the “tangle” of legs, the Freo bloke unashamedly dropped the knees into Hunt’s head - right in front of the adjudicating clown. No mention of this any where in the MRP comments. No thought of a free kick reversal there! Just another example of the double standards. 

Christian really has no idea - still, as an AFL appointee I guess one wouldn't expect him to.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This poor conduct displayed by Walters (and other players in the Freo side) is in part due to the failure of the AFL to appoint non WA umpires to adjudicate in the Derby over there. It is a bad habit the players have learnt because they constantly get the rough end from the umpires due to them being unashamed Eagles supporters. The only way to get a free kick for themselves over in Perth is to exaggerate every time they are even touched by the opposition, legal tackle or not. Another unwanted by product of the AFL's failure to provide some fairness in the competition with regards to the umpiring. The umpires should be neutral, and money should be spent on flying in umpires to interstate games who do not reside in that state!

And yes, I was at the game and it was so obvious what Walters was trying to do all day. He even succeeded a few times and at least two of his goals were not deserved. The umpires are too gullible sometimes. In the last quarter I think they woke up to the fact we were booing Walters for good reason. He is a stager.

• Like 4

Just now, low flying Robbo said:

How on earth does "Intentional" headbutting only get you a week? Regardless of the impact....

That moron Christian will justify anything he is told to from above.  Can't have important Freo players out too long, and after all it was only a MFC player he butted.

1 hour ago, david_neitz_is_my_dad said:

Not even joking when i say Walters dives and plays for frees every single game he plays, But most players exagerate contact now and it a [censored] look on the game.

Just read an article from March 2018 by Max Laughton of Foxsports. "Hated by fans and experts alike, the AFL is finally looking to crack down on incidents of diving during games." Essendon's Josh Green had been fined $1000 for staging against Geelong. 

Nothing much has happened since then. Another rule forgotten about?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1