Farewell Jesse Hogan

12 hours ago, old dee said:

You might be a little premature, what was that his first or second game. A talent that produces 50 goals in a season does not vanish. Right now I would swap him for May in a heart beat.

OD I am sick of this. Hogan has never kicked 50 goals in a season. He has kicked 152 goals in 73 games. He has issues, and misses many games. He is not the messiah. He is no longer our problem.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Adzman said:

I still rate Jesse, and honestly believe we would have won the Port and Essendon games if we had him up forward. 

May and KK may end up being a better package, but as of the end of round 3 the fact is that the subtraction of Jesse and addition of May and KK has not improved our team.

Freo might say the same about Jesse and  pick 6

43 minutes ago, ManDee said:

OD I am sick of this. Hogan has never kicked 50 goals in a season. He has kicked 152 goals in 73 games. He has issues, and misses many games. He is not the messiah. He is no longer our problem.

He is an X player we are allowed to talk about him, while I agree he was far from perfect, he would be better than anyone we have in the forward line this year. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, old dee said:

He is an X player we are allowed to talk about him, while I agree he was far from perfect, he would be better than anyone we have in the forward line this year. 

Hogan has kicked no goals this year.

Happy to talk about him but he is not and has never been a 50 goal a season player.  Hogan may be the only Freo midfielder/forward without a goal this year. 

Edited by ManDee
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, ManDee said:

Hogan has kicked no goals this year.

Happy to talk about him but he is not and has never been a 50 goal a season player.  Hogan may be the only Freo midfielder/forward without a goal this year. 

There is a simple fact Freo have won games without Hogan scoring and they sit way in front of us. Early days but Freo 1 Dees nil.

Jesse is yet to play 22 games in a season and has played up the ground at times.  He has been very consistent averaging a little over 2 goals per game in each year.  ie 45 goals a season if played every game.

I don't know if he will ever become the champion forward he could be but to think he can't/won't exceed 50 if played as a forward is a bit off the mark. 

16 minutes ago, old dee said:

There is a simple fact Freo have won games without Hogan scoring and they sit way in front of us. Early days but Freo 1 Dees nil.

So Freo are better than us and he still can't kick a goal.

• Haha 1

Some on here are firing shots way too early. While he hasn't hit the scoreboard, he is still getting up the ground and making an impact. I watched him closely on the weekend and his work rate was top notch. 

It will take him to adjust to Freos game style, but i expect very soon to see him start hitting the scoreboard.

He might not end up a big hulking forward he could kick 70 to 80 goals a year, but worse case is that he will be a Jack Gunstan type forward who will use his work rate to get up and down the ground and float across packs.

We also forget that he is still only 24. Hasn't even hit the 100 game mark yet.

18 minutes ago, ManDee said:

So Freo are better than us and he still can't kick a goal.

He is playing in the centre as I understand it. He is a good player who has some off field issues, because we traded him does not instantly make him a spud. A year ago you were cheering him. 

Jayden Hunt is younger than Hogan, this year Hunt has kicked more goals than Hogan has had more tackles than Hogan less turnovers than Hogan  and yet he is one of our whipping boys. I do not think Hogan is a spud but he is not a 50 goal forward, I think we won in the trade and yes I did cheer him last year even though his body language was shocking at times. Time will be the ultimate arbiter but I don't think Freo supporters are jumping with joy over his performances to date.

Edit: Corey Wagner - more goals, more tackles, better disposal efficiency,  -- Tom Sparrow more goals, more tackles

Note: I am not picking our better players. I am looking at under performers.

Edited by ManDee
  • Like 1

Hogan is a gun.

And goals is just one aspect of why he is gun.

We sorely miss him and in particular his work rate, abilty to get up sand down the ground, offer an outlet target and rack up posesions . 

I have a lot of time for Weed but if he is not kicking goals he doesn't impact the game

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Some on here are firing shots way too early. While he hasn't hit the scoreboard, he is still getting up the ground and making an impact. I watched him closely on the weekend and his work rate was top notch. 

It will take him to adjust to Freos game style, but i expect very soon to see him start hitting the scoreboard.

He might not end up a big hulking forward he could kick 70 to 80 goals a year, but worse case is that he will be a Jack Gunstan type forward who will use his work rate to get up and down the ground and float across packs.

We also forget that he is still only 24. Hasn't even hit the 100 game mark yet.

I was fine with letting him go as I don't think he handles high pressure games well. He panics when is possession if you put pressure on him but he has been handy despite being goalless in the first 2 games. Like many Melbourne players (Petracca, Brayshaw etc.) he has a flawed ball drop which stops him from kicking accurately when running in a straight line.

McCarthy burned him a few times with terrible passes when Hogan had made good leads. 

His trade value was about right in the end. He is a good player, not a great player. I don't really see the Gunston comparison as his main asset is his kicking and ability to kick goals from anywhere inside 55 which Hogan doesn't have.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Adzman said:

I still rate Jesse, and honestly believe we would have won the Port and Essendon games if we had him up forward. 

May and KK may end up being a better package, but as of the end of round 3 the fact is that the subtraction of Jesse and addition of May and KK has not improved our team.

I think he can make a very handy R/R. who kicks goals.  A sort of Goodes style.

• Like 1

Hogan doesn't need to kick goals to influence games. His workrate between the 50s and his ability to find the ball means that he can contribute without hitting the scoreboard. In fact he can be more important up the ground because he draws players to him and creates space for those around him. Hence why our forward line was the best in the competition in the 20 games he played last season.

Weideman in particular, and McDonald to some extent, need to kick goals to have an impact because they don't provide much else to the team particularly in terms of physical presence. The poor performances of these two are significant factors in the dysfunction of the forward line and the struggles of our smaller forwards. 

Luckily for the club they can argue that the trade was done for non-football reasons, as the football reasons are hard to justify at present.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I know he doesn'tplay for us anymore, but just saw  that Hogan has been ruled out for the remainder of the year due to a recurring injury to his navicular.. 

Poor bloke just cant take a trick. I really do hope his mental well being is well looked after by the dockers. My understanding was after he did his injury last year it really rocked him on an emotional point of view after watching us go deep into September. 

All the best Hoges.

• Like 17
  • Sad 2

My sentiments as well. Jessie may be out west but he just cannot get the cards to fall his way. A recurrence of a navicular on top of everything else he has endured hardly seems fair. We have had our fair share of this foot injury and the successful return rate isn't good.

I wish Jesse all the best post surgery and in his recovery

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Older demon said:

My sentiments as well. Jessie may be out west but he just cannot get the cards to fall his way. A recurrence of a navicular on top of everything else he has endured hardly seems fair. We have had our fair share of this foot injury and the successful return rate isn't good.

I wish Jesse all the best post surgery and in his recovery

I blame Mission.

I just hope things improve for the kid. He has been blessed with enormous natural talent, but in the last couple of years things have not fallen his way.

I feel this thread should be shut down because this is a Melbourne FC forum and not a social discussion that is beyond our remit.

53 minutes ago, dimmy said:

I just hope things improve for the kid. He has been blessed with enormous natural talent, but in the last couple of years things have not fallen his way.

I feel this thread should be shut down because this is a Melbourne FC forum and not a social discussion that is beyond our remit.

Disagree.  Past players are naturally of interest to us.  All OK as long as it's not abusive or gloating about the player being injured, and I read quite the reverse of that here.

• Like 2

On 4/9/2019 at 11:38 AM, binman said:

Hogan is a gun.

And goals is just one aspect of why he is gun.

We sorely miss him and in particular his work rate, abilty to get up sand down the ground, offer an outlet target and rack up posesions . 

I have a lot of time for Weed but if he is not kicking goals he doesn't impact the game

As true now as 3 months ago

We miss Hogan more than I expected. Can't blame the club just a fact if life but it sucks even if he has underperformed this year and now had the ongoing foot injury. Still wish him all the best seems like a decent bloke who had had way too much [censored] to deal with

• Like 4