Key tactical issues v Geelong

42 minutes ago, Red and Blue realist said:

Just got to make the most of our opportunities, we've managed 57 scoring shots against them (they only had 47) and have had 37 more inside 50 across the 2 games. 

In round 1 they had 24 entries for 20 shots on goal in the first half. They scored 80pts.

The second time we played them they scored 8 goals to 3/4 time and 8 goals in the last to win.

The past two weeks we have played much better offensively by hit up passes (19 fwd half marks against WC) and much better defensively like we have the past two weeks.

We play like the past two weeks and we win.

Edited by jnrmac
  • Like 6

On 8/27/2018 at 12:06 PM, Lord Neville X Flash said:

3) Hawkins. He killed us last game, and it wasn't necessarily OMAC's fault.

SOLUTION: Midfield Pressure, and we need Gawny to push back into the hole as often as he can. 

I agree. It was never O. Mac's fault that Hawkins got off the leash in the last qtr. Hawkins had an okay night for the first 3qtrs but he wasn't a real issue when our midfield was on top. The moment cats got to hit targets with no pressure O. Mac was never stopping him. 

Harmes does the run with role on Selwood for me and keep Viney as a pure clearance beast. When Viney does run with roles it takes away what he's good at. Back Oliver, Brayshaw and Viney to win the ball and be harder. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Chris Scott on AFL 360.

Said Geelong are way healthier and injury free compared to round 23 last year. Sounded supremely confident of beating us.

absolute [censored] !!    God I hope we end their rat infested filthy diseased season.  (you may have guessed I (Football) hate them) LOL

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dee tention said:

Bring in the BUGG to punch at plenty!

I’ll even help him out with a hammer! ??‍⚖️

Bugg is not allowed to punch the coach

• Like 1

23 hours ago, rpfc said:

They play keepings off footy and avoid contests. I’m sorry, but we are built to beat teams like this. We win the contested footy and then let teams off the hook on the outside. If we don’t switch off like we have done for 2 of the 8 Quarters we have played them - we will win.

Will totally understand a bit of stage fright - in the first 5 mins - then it is time to get to work. 

Agree. In last years final Richmond embarrassed them with manic pressure. At our best we can replicate this type of contested footy. Just need to settle early and play our brand.

Geelong have had 3 soft wins at home in the last 5 weeks; Lions, Freo and GCS. They’ve lost to contenders Richmond and Hawthorn at the MCG.

We’ve had 1 soft win against GCS and 3 great wins against strong sides, two being contenders, 2 being interstate.

I know which form I’d prefer to go in with.

Also, the last 3 times we’ve played Geelong we’ve had more scoring shots.  Twice they’ve beaten us by kicking a ridiculously accurate 20 goals 6 and 16 goals 4.  Statistics would suggest that they shouldn’t be able to rely on that sort of accuracy.

Their Goalkicking Accuracy for the year is 49%.  So based on that they had arsey games and should have kicked (statistically) 13 goals 13 (would have lost) and 10 goals 10 (another loss).

• Like 5

These juicy words come to you courtesy of Turbocat from the Geelong quarter of Bigfooty:

Just because we have NORMALLY had it over Melb for a long time... doesn't mean it will continue... WE are in sudden death now.. and they should have won at least one of the games against us if not both... and then we would not have even been playing finals...

I just heard a Dee's supporter ring up SEN talking about dreams/wishes or some such thing.. First beat Geelong by a point for all the pain we have inflicted on them ... then beat Haw with a 50M penalty... to square up the Jimmy Stynes ... then beat Rich in PF... not sure why .. just to stop them.. or maybe for playing on their home ground ....

Ask an old Melb supporter... and what was normal in past... was for them to win and win often. It was to play in GF's and win..and expect to win.. and for the MC 's to enjoy it while smoking cigars and sipping brandy.

Wouldn't mind a cigar and a brandy come 11pm on a Friday night next week… 

Edited by Chook
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

They will be thinking they can put a rally of 3 to 4 goals together. We have to reply to every goal they get. They will also know we will keep scoring for four quarters. They will want to keep in striking range and at sometime during the game make a break of 20 points or more.
Being a finals atmosphere we will be up to it. Starting with some nervousness as we settle then we start scoring.
There will be less stoppages so our clearance work is less inportant though we will dominate this stat. They will attempt to hold the ball with chipping to short leads. We will be looking for our normal fast ball movements.
They will use Hawkins up the field as a link and put Danger forward for 1 on 1 contest a few times. I think Frosty should cover Danger when this happens and get Tom to cover Hawkins.
When Hawkins is forward. keep Frosty on him.
If Ablett goes forward get Fritsch on him and make him accountable to his rebound.
Give Oscar the job on Biclavs when he is forward.
Jetts on Menzel.
We need to rotate Harmes on who ever is dominating the possessions.
Put Viney and Jones at the stoppages when we need to lock it down.
Oliver and Brayshaw when we need a goal
Cause Selwood to cough it up by some pressing him with others intercepting his handballs.
Crumbers to have a big day, Spargs, Milk, Trac and JKH, with Weeds, Tom and Max softly bringing the ball front and centre unless they stick the mark.
Important to keep Scott guessing about us. We have lots of flexibility and should use it.
Most importantly is to lower our eyes, hit the easy target, get the basics right and play some creative take it on football. 

• Like 4

On 8/27/2018 at 8:01 PM, rpfc said:

If we don’t switch off like we have done for 2 of the 8 Quarters we have played them - we will win.

Will totally understand a bit of stage fright - in the first 5 mins - then it is time to get to work. 

Stage fright is on the money. They will look to jump us on the counter in the first 10/15mins.

We could have a few boys nervous and rushing their disposals early

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pennant St Dee said:

Stage fright is on the money. They will look to jump us on the counter in the first 10/15mins.

Yes a repeat of the QBD match is my nightmare, but in daylight with a half dry track and we will torch them by 6+ goals, our best footy is better than their best footy. Kick a little straighter and with Hibberd and Frost in the back half, we are alot more settled.

Only wildcard is Ablett, he will care about this game, he won't be hiding in his shell trying to preserve himself, I think we should give him more respect.

Chris Scott is also a pretty good coach with an excellent staff, I hope Goody doesn't try anything smart and just backs our contested ball ability.

I don't hate Geelong but want to beat them badly, will still be a failure of a year if we don't win.

2 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Straight kicking.  It is critical in finals. No one wins with 10-18. 

Practice practice and practice.  And be confident.  Go for it. 

Yep, I reckon if we kick straight our numbers should overwhelm them.

2 hours ago, Pennant St Dee said:

Not sure about stage fright 'Pennant'...

I remember the team in '87 were on a roll & blitzed North in the first final.

Lets hope we get more of the same this time round & then for the following 3 games.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rjay said:

Not sure about stage fright 'Pennant'...

I remember the team in '87 were on a roll & blitzed North in the first final.

Lets hope we get more of the same this time round & then for the following 3 games.

God I remember 87 like it was yesterday. After Vineys goal we were never in trouble.

I'll never forget the MCG roar from that day

• Like 2
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

They will try and bully us early as we have practically no finals experience, Lewis aside.

It will not end well for them.

Who would you say are the tough players from Geelong?  

Selwood (x2), Touhy?

Who from the Demons would you say are tough? I’m not going to list them but I reckon we’d have them well covered. 

On 8/28/2018 at 7:00 PM, MurDoc516 said:

I agree. It was never O. Mac's fault that Hawkins got off the leash in the last qtr. Hawkins had an okay night for the first 3qtrs but he wasn't a real issue when our midfield was on top. The moment cats got to hit targets with no pressure O. Mac was never stopping him. 

Harmes does the run with role on Selwood for me and keep Viney as a pure clearance beast. When Viney does run with roles it takes away what he's good at. Back Oliver, Brayshaw and Viney to win the ball and be harder. 

Harmes will play on dangergield. Selwood is cooked. Doesn’t have as much impact anymore. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

If Geelong hold us to under 100 points, then we ain’t winning this game.

We are 1-5 when the oppo restricts us to less than 100 with our sole win being against Adelaide in Adelaide.

Constant scoring opportunities

get to 100 points before they do most probably win, 4 goals a quarter gets you there! Have a breakout quarter makes it so much harder for them. And heaven forbid if we only score 1 goal on a quarter then we are probably toast. 

Bring it on.  We play our game we should win

but geelong would be confident if. our lead at last break is less than 30 points.

Go Dees

Also have a close look at the match ups they go with. Drag Stewart back to the goal square. Blicavs up the ground.  

I am most interested in what they do about Brayshaw. He gets off the chain a lot he may do some damage.

nibbler to toughy

harmes to Selwood early then danger late in quarters 

vanders must tackle to hurt 

• Like 1

They wont want a shootout so I expect them to try and flood. They will back their midfield (Ablett, Selwood, Kelly, Dangerfield, Duncan) to get first hand on it to set up the win. Gawn and connection with our mids is where this will won or lost. The only way they can stop our freight train is to stop our scoring so I expect a slog. I don't think my heart could take another close game though, would love to stick it right up Chris Scott.

• Like 1

I agree with Bandicoot, Harmes to Dangerfield.  He is the class performer.  I'd run ANB with Ablett. Gazza's way past his best but still likes running on to the easy ball and creating/scoring.

S. Sellwood will line up on Clarry so to counter that in the early stages, I'd line Clarry up at deep FF. That will cause Selwood and his coach some worry. Clarry has that thug done and dusted in a one- on-one contest.

Play AvB in the middle in place of Clarry with instructions to slam whichever Cat's player gets their hands on the ball at stoppages in the first 15 minutes.  Imagine knowing that AvB and Jack Viney are lying in wait for you to touch the footy....

Finally, Weid and TMac to start on the centre square line leaving Melky, Tracs, Spargs/Hannan and Clarry in the forward 50.  

I reckon that the first 15 minutes would be something to behold.

• Like 3